Aladdin Retrospective

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Aladdin Retrospective

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

(After viewing Aladdin earlier, I had a few thoughts I wanted to put down).

Out of all the Disney Animated Classics, Aladdin is surely the gayest (in all senses), most objectively superlative (well, Pinocchio's animation might be greater, but in regards to all criteria, Aladdin is the finest) and also the most loathsome of all Disney features.

Initially, it seems to be an improved edition of The Jungle Book: it incorporates a number of contemporary comedians (Williams and Gottfried as opposed to Phil Harris), has a similarly upbeat jazz-style score, and is a journey to becoming who you really are. The Jungle Book, of course, has an unpleasantly racist core to it, that can only be somewhat shirked if you pretend that it's actually about growing up (after all, Mowgli chooses to go to the Man Village when he undergoes a sexual awakening). But it's a frustrating story about predestination, and is only carried along by a series of disconnected, meandering sketches. It's delightful to watch and laugh at, yet as Walt's Last Hurrah in animation is disappointing. Moreover, the "sketchy" xerox process and the lack of detailed layouts/backgrounds supply it with a very bland look.

While The Jungle Book is dull, pallid and ugly, Aladdin makes use of its own exotic setting and develops an enthralling atmosphere. Whereas The Jungle Book struggles with the bratty semi-adolescent Mowgli, Aladdin creates a genuinely charismatic young male protagonist. Whilst Jungle Book cannot structure its plot to accommodate its cast, Aladdin triumphs in he his area better than any preceding animated classic. Of course, the moment Aladdin rubs the mysterious lamp, this interpretation quickly collapses. It abruptly appears to have been invaded by a comic actor playing himself, converting the story into a 'star vehicle'. However, it soon transpires that what Robin Williams is leading the charge towards is a compelling new idea of telling stories in a post-Walt world, an idea that was so good, it's remained popular and current for two decades, lasting far longer than Howard Ashman's Broadway musical idea. However, this idea should never have been replicated.

One of the key traditions of Disney is to provide a different experience and idiosyncratic idea with each feature: Snow White is a mix of things, but unequivocally a romantic fairy tale designed to entertain; Pinocchio is a darker, sinister film, intrigued more by the eerie than by the magical, while also caring greatly about its precise technicality and animation; Fantasia's uniqueness needs no delineation; Dumbo is a sweeter, deeper, funnier Silly Symphony, albeit with a dose of surrealism; Bambi is impressive in how realistically it portrays nature, thus giving it an alienating and distancing coldness...of course, after the package features, it was safer to follow formula, but the best post-Bambi films remain the most distinctive: Alice, Sleeping Beauty, Dalmatians, and so forth. In a similar manner, Aladdin goes above and beyond the Ashmanesque formula inspired by Mermaid and Beast: it is a film infused with modernity via pop culture, self-referential satire, ironic comedy, a "meta" production.

It is, of course, enormously entertaining, and at the time ingeniously original. Unfortunately, it is a now tired cliche that spawned Dreamworks and indirectly killed traditional animation. Replicating the sparkling brilliance of Aladdin is as stupid and disastrous as, say, doing a sequel to Fantasia.

Yet for all we should detest Aladdin...it's terrific. It never stands still. It's excellent style and substance. It's perfect fun. The visuals are lurid and vibrant; Lazario once said that it was so colourful it almost hurt his eyes. This provides the best stage for whimsical escapism, evocative of "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) and "The Red Shoes" (1948), bolstered by the overwhelming sense of cinematic scope via the explicit influence of Spielberg and the Indiana Jones films, particularly in the action-adventure Cave of Wonders sequence. A lot of this is thanks to the necessity of the setting: a hot, sizzling desert with appropriate colours. Music is a delight too. The "I Want" song is regulated to a small handful of verses, a low-key, forgettable piece dedicated more to characterisation than a sense of formulaic obligation (as it regrettably is with Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, etc.). The songs are here for pure show-stopping magic.

However, amongst the creatively fecund Renaissance period, this doesn't stand out very much. What does stand out is the characterisation and the themes. The sense of imprisonment and identity is back, yet doesn't take a back seat as it understandably did in Beauty and the Beast; it is closer to Mermaid, doubtlessly due to the writing of Musker & Clements. However, as sublime as Mermaid is, like his predecessors, Eric is lacking in characterisation, becoming nothing more than the hunky prize-to-be-won that Ferdinand/Charming/Philip previously defined. This time, we are able to see the Eric archetype become their own character and can better recognise the inevitable flaws of the world above.

Of course, Jasmine is an awkward balancing act. She's more passionately feminist than either Ariel or Belle, which sometimes renders her harder to like, sometimes easier. It's worsened by the issue of her feminism being objectified and the fact she perpetually wears something awfully revealing, and at one point we literally see her through (Aladdin's) Male Gaze. Ultimately however, she is redeemed by her sheer intelligence.

The entire cast is wonderful and likable, even the protagonist himself. This is a rarity within Disney, and it succeeds because the writers choose to give everyone the same resonant journey of discovering who you really are (which is, to call back to earlier classics, just another form of growing up - strange how these relics of childhood are all concentrated upon telling you to grow up, isn't it?). Even the Genie gets one, so that, despite his anachronistic comic shenanigans, he remains a developed character. Considering his antecedents are such bland plot devices as the Blue Fairy and Cinderella's Godmother, Genie is a victory for Disney storytelling.

But, considering how many Disney films are about imprisonment and identity, and all of the, are rather colourful, what makes this one especially 'gay'? Merely the amusing fact that, apart from the heteronormative heroes at the centre of the story, every character is some gay stereotype: the flamboyant GBF Genie, the dryly sardonic Jafar (whose villainy is almost certainly a result of his repression), etc. :P

The ending is a metatextual triumph: finally, the protagonist saves the day, and there's no deus ex machina to spoil the narrative either. The hero is smarter than the cocky villain, and therefore wins - a much more satisfying resolution than any other DAC, followed by an act of heartwarming selflessness.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Re: Aladdin Retrospective

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Have you any plans to see the upcoming stage adaption? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Unless it ever goes on tour in the UK in the future, I regrettably won't be able to see it. It's a shame; I'd love to see Jonathan Freeman playing Jafar in "live-action" as well as voicing him.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the parallels between "Aladdin" and "Jungle Book"; Exotic, eastern settings (India, Arabia), a young male lead, more focus on the comedy and jazzy music.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

I agree with most of your points but wow, could never think of TJB as ugly. It's a visually beautiful film IMO with exotic settings and some of the best establishing-shots in a Disney film. The pencil lines around the characters don't even bother me because the backgrounds are so painterly.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

A beautifully written and incredibly satisfying read, even if I don't agree on some points. I love your analytical skills. :up:
Dr Frankenollie wrote:Unless it ever goes on tour in the UK in the future ...
I always assumed you were American. Were you in fact a Brit, all along? :)
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

"Ugly" might be a harsh description of Jungle Book, but in comparison to most Walt-era classics, its backgrounds fail to shine. Still, the opening credits scene is very good - but the effective atmosphere is rooted more in the sound effects and music than the animation.

Thank you Jules. :) And yes, I've always been British. Which points do you disagree on?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Wow. Can't believe I missed the parallels.

A few concerns i have about your post

1.What exactly made TJB racist? The rather immediate sexual awakening or that he had to go to the "man village" to begin with?

2. Calling Aladdin "Loathsome" may not have been the best choice of words.

3. The "Star Vehicle" part of the movie is actually well built up, imo. Sure, it may be a little jarring, but the movie opens with that type of comedy and actually does the best it can to set up the genie as an important plot point. Having the character be the way he is, especially after the CoW and the hero nearly being killed, may be out of left field(to use an American figure of speech), but still feels like the same universe.

4. Jasmine's revealing wardrobe could easily be attributed to her confidence, which she deals out in spades as she does her intelligence.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I have a couple of issues w this posting too:

1) "The "I Want" song is regulated to a small handful of verses, a low-key, forgettable piece dedicated more to characterisation than a sense of formulaic obligation (as it regrettably is with Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, etc.)" . Whats the "I want" song in Beauty and the Beast??? "Belle reprise"??? How is that obligated??? ANd only the last verse is an "I want" kind of song...

2) As for Aladdin being the gayest... according to your posting, only the genie and Jafar reflect gay stereotypes. Only TWO characters from the whole cast. And frankly, the fact that you read "gayness" into those characters says more about you than the filmmakers. You are actually enforcing those stereotypes by ascribing a sexual orientation to characters who MIGHT behave that way. Are you saying that non-sexual behavior should be a reflection of one's sexual orientation?
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

ajmrowland wrote: 4. Jasmine's revealing wardrobe could easily be attributed to her confidence, which she deals out in spades as she does her intelligence.
Exactly, and wearing revealing clothes doesn't necessarily conflict with feminism.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

I feel that The Jungle Book has a racist undercurrent in the sense that it encourages segregation between different animal species, even though all species have human-level intelligence. Mowgli is a human, so must live amongst humans, despite having been raised by animals and wanting to stay in the jungle. It's an unpleasant idea and the final nail in the coffin for an already weak story.

I called Aladdin 'loathsome' to be attention-grabbing, and I do loath what it has done to Western animation. I suppose Genie isn't too different to the preexisting fast pace, effervescent and dazzling colours, yet I would still contend that he is the first part of the film to explicitly reference pop culture and that he absorbs much of the audience's attention. This is not exactly a criticism, because his arrival should thematically be a narrative transformation, but an observation in how a transcendent character is used to self-mockingly transcend plot conventions.

The matter of feminism and revealing clothes is a complicated and messy one, and I hope it's clear that I was not criticising Jasmine's behaviour at all. If she wants to wear revealing clothes, especially in a hot climate, that's fine. What I take issue with is that, when the animators designed Jasmine, I don't think they gave her revealing clothes to better signify her confidence. I think they gave her revealing clothes in order to objectify her, which rather strikingly goes against her independent character. Thus, to some extent, I would argue that Jasmine becomes less a feminist heroine and more a fetishising of feminism, turning the idea of a confident, independent free spirit into a turn-on.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I feel that The Jungle Book has a racist undercurrent in the sense that it encourages segregation between different animal species, even though all species have human-level intelligence. Mowgli is a human, so must live amongst humans, despite having been raised by animals and wanting to stay in the jungle. It's an unpleasant idea and the final nail in the coffin for an already weak story.

Wow, silly me. Here I was thinking it was a simple story about friendship and learning to say goodbye... :|

Even though the animals have human level intelligence, they were still animals holding a certain position in the food chain. Shere Khan was coming. And he was hungry. No matter how wonderful Baloo's human speech was.

That's why Mowgli wasn't safe. Not because the animals and humans needed to be segregated by Disney's racist story department. You can debate whether the story made sense or not (yes, why could the wolves not protect him from Shere Khan?), but racist undercurrents? Good grief. This is just making up things that aren't there.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

In regards to TJB and racism, I thought he was going to talk about King Louie and the monkeys specifically. :lol: I've never thought much about TJB, but something about those characters comes across vaguely like racist caricatures for some reason, like the crows from Dumbo or the Indians from Peter Pan.
The matter of feminism and revealing clothes is a complicated and messy one, and I hope it's clear that I was not criticising Jasmine's behaviour at all. If she wants to wear revealing clothes, especially in a hot climate, that's fine. What I take issue with is that, when the animators designed Jasmine, I don't think they gave her revealing clothes to better signify her confidence. I think they gave her revealing clothes in order to objectify her, which rather strikingly goes against her independent character. Thus, to some extent, I would argue that Jasmine becomes less a feminist heroine and more a fetishising of feminism, turning the idea of a confident, independent free spirit into a turn-on.
I agree completely.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Disney's Divinity wrote:In regards to TJB and racism, I thought he was going to talk about King Louie and the monkeys specifically. :lol: I've never thought much about TJB, but something about those characters comes across vaguely like racist caricatures for some reason, like the crows from Dumbo or the Indians from Peter Pan.
I think anytime a cartoon (specifically Disney), tries to portray a "black" character it gets labled as racist regardless of whether or not the intent is to be malicious. I think a similar accusation was made for Oggie Boggie in Nightmare Before Christmas by some.

Tying this back to Aladdin, I remember seeing a comment on a youtube post of Ashman's demo for "Friend Like Me" saying it sounded like he was being a black stereotype. He of course wasn't, but he was trying to sound like a 1940s style black singer, which when done be a white guy might come across as such. Heck, had a black guy played Genie (as Ashman intended) it may have still resulted in Dumbo-crow comparisons. For that reason, Disney may have dodged a bullet by having a white guy play him.

On that note, this is one area where the stage version improves upon the movie. The Genie there is played by a black actor and the "Friend Like Me" number is staged and dressed like a 40s musical piece, complete with Rockette-like dancers. The visuals fit the musical riff and style.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Again:

"The "I Want" song is regulated to a small handful of verses, a low-key, forgettable piece dedicated more to characterisation than a sense of formulaic obligation (as it regrettably is with Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, etc.)" . Whats the "I want" song in Beauty and the Beast??? "Belle reprise"??? How is that obligated??? ANd only the last verse is an "I want" kind of song...
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »