Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants

Post by FigmentJedi »

So it's just Beanstalk again.

I hope it doesn't take 66 years for Disney to decide "Hey, let's do the Snow Queen for reals this time instead of something loosely inspired by the title"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:I'm reproducing the article here just in case Disney forces them to take it down.
Where did BleedingCool get all this info from? Nothing about Giants was mentioned at D23. They got someone on the inside at WDAS?
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Brendon Connelly seems to be pretty well connected. He mentioned attending a Frozen screening in France and having talking with guys like Peter Del Vecho. He also knew about Zootopia before it was leaked by Blue Sky and for whatever reason (perhaps an oversight), his article was allowed to remain up while the similar one over at Slashfilm was taken down.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:Another piece of the Disney Animation falls into place. Those of you that read last month's post "Clear Road Ahead" where we exclusively revealed the upcoming slate of WDAS for the next five years. Other sites linked to our post, but strangely disappeared within a day. Now, the guys over at Bleeding Cool have posted a lot more detail about a project we told you about.

I can verify that much of what of what they report is true. The project began when Nathan Greno pitched the idea to Lasseter while he was working on co-directing "Zootopia" with Byron Howard. The creatives decided that they were both capable of directing on their own and split the team up to work on both projects.

Check out their article for the details. I had promised my Bothans to not reveal too much, but now that it's out there it's fair game. It'll be a great film if it makes it out based on what I've seen. I wish I could say the same for Dean Wellins' project.
Anonymous wrote:Since I know both Byron and Nathan personally, I can tell you that your entire **2nd paragraph** is completely incorrect. I don't know who your source is, but they're not correct. The only statement close to the truth is that the studio knows both Nathan and Byron are super talented and having them both direct separate projects will be a win-win for the studio.
Honor Hunter wrote:Anonymous, I agree that both are capable of doing movies on their own. Everything that I've heard about their current projects, as well as their work on Tangled is absolutely positive. They are great animation directors and I look forward to each one's new film.

But I have the information from two separate sources. I don't know which part you're saying is incorrect, the fact that they were working together on Zootopia, or the fact that the studio decided they could both work on different projects. It might be that there is a differing of when each project began, but my sources weren't saying that they didn't have the talent to work separately. And I certainly wasn't.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/08/va ... tales.html
Honor Hunter wrote:Those of you that read our report will remember that "Moana" was to be late 2018 following the last release of "Giants" in 2016. Well, that has been confirmed. Giants and Moana have official dates. This isn't because of any trouble the productions have, only that Giants has progressed to a point where it has earned an earlier slot. There was a time when Moana was thought to be put ahead of Giants, but the goal is to advance projects as their status changes. Slots open up and slots get moved around. Think of this as solidifying of tentative plans. Ron and John's film is steadily moving along, but it's taking its own sweet time, and the powers that be have decided to give it more time for the story and structure to settle.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/09/giant-steps.html
Steve Hulett wrote:I've heard this and that about Jack and the Beanstalk. I'm glad to know it's on a faster track now.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... iants.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Love the idea of the giants names, that's clever. I'm probably looking forward to this most out of the upcoming slate. I wonder if it will be a musical? There's no mention of that, but it does say it most closely resembles Tangled and Frozen.

I'd love to see a cameo from Willie or the Golden Harp from Mickey and the Beanstalk.

Also makes me wonder how long the "new twist, new name" fad is going to last.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I keep expecting them to change it into something really horrid, like "Ginormous."

Im blanking out on what the Wellins project is...
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So apparently, the tentative release year is 2018.
Sotiris ‏@sotiris2006 11 Nov
@brendonconnelly Do you know if Disney's upcoming "Giants" is going to be a musical?

Brendon Connelly ‏@brendonconnelly 11 Nov
@sotiris2006 It's way too early to know. The plan is to have songs but anything could change in the next five years.

Qindarka ‏@Qindarka 11 Nov
@brendonconnelly @sotiris2006 Five years? Isn't Giants slated for release in 2016?

@Qindarka @sotiris2006 It doesn't have an official release date and... I think you should expect in 2018. Honestly.

Sotiris ‏@sotiris2006 11 Nov
@brendonconnelly Does that mean Moana will get Giants' release date or that only Zootopia will be released in 2016?

@sotiris2006 Again, it's too early. But - and this is literally just an educated guess - we'll only get Zootopia in 2016.
This makes me wonder if there will be a Disney princess from this film... 5 years after Frozen seems like decent spacing.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

This is disappointing that it got pushed back. :( But, I also think it's a good break for a while! :) I'm a sure that it's going to be a musical. Why wouldn't they not?

And about Nathan or whoever pitching it: This makes me confused. Didn't Chris Buck try to do it in 2010, but couldn't get the rights because of Jack the Giant Slayer?

And I won't be surprised about another Princess. Angelina is supposed to be a rich character (not royalty so far), so I guess they'll let her get away with it. And I wonder about Moana...
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

It's not confirmed. Far too early for any official word, it's probably the case that WDAS themselves aren't sure about the release date. I have found Connelly to be reliable, though, they are still educated guesses.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

disneyprincess11 wrote:And about Nathan or whoever pitching it: This makes me confused. Didn't Chris Buck try to do it in 2010, but couldn't get the rights because of Jack the Giant Slayer?
I believe it was initially turned down because Jack the Giant Slayer was in production at the time. The story is in the public domain, so I don't think rights are an issue here. This possible release date will probably allow enough time to have passed since the release of Jack.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The Lopezes have hinted that they're the songwriters for Giants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adb7-EHnmf4 (Between 0:25 and 0:40)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:The Lopezes have hinted that they're the songwriters for Giants.
Maybe. What they said was way too vague to tell. They may have been talking about their work on "Bob: the Musical" or their new stage musical "Up Here" which is set to premiere at La Jolla Playhouse during the theater's 2015-2016 season.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:The Lopezes have hinted that they're the songwriters for Giants.
Maybe. What they said was way too vague to tell. They may have been talking about their work on "Bob: the Musical" or their new stage musical "Up Here" which is set to premiere at La Jolla Playhouse during the theater's 2015-2016 season.
Or new stuff for the Broadway version.
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

On a slight change of pace, who would you like to see in the voice cast?

Personally I'd love to see Kevin McHale as Jack (the guy's incredibly talented, he needs to be in an animated feature!) and Samantha Barks as Angelina.
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

So, GIANTS might have been green lighted. From https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=6138127:
PROJECTS greenlit include:

FROZEN
BIG HERO 6
ZOOTOPIA
2 others not yet announced
magired1
Limited Issue

Post by magired1 »

IT BETTER be greenlighted! I'VE waited my whole life to see Jack and the Beanstalk be made by Disney that will make other Jack and the beanstalk films cower before it! And I wanna see its awesomeness be it a musical one or not-I WANT to see it so bad! Besides its also my favorite fairy tale among others. Plus I hope DIsney someday makes a Thumbelina movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Lopezes are most likely writing the songs for Giants.
These days, Lopez is "failing" on a bunch of new projects. There are a couple of animated musicals he cannot talk about and there is "Up Right here," a romantic musical comedy, with music by the Lopezes.
Source: http://www.dailynewsen.com/entertainmen ... 57491.html

Christophe Beck may be writing the score.
Q: Does the success of Frozen mean you’ll be entertaining a lot more animation offers?

Christophe Beck: Yes, for sure. I've already been talking to some other people about some other animation films which I can’t really talk about yet, but there will be more big animation films in my near future.
Source: http://www.craveonline.com/film/intervi ... -and-buffy
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

^ Cue disneyprincess11 coming in, saying "I told you so." :lol:

(Nah, that was a logical prediction. Though it's not 100% confirmed, it makes sense. Plus if anyone was expecting Menken for the fairytale film that came right after Frozen, well, sorry.)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Warm Regards wrote:^ Cue disneyprincess11 coming in, saying "I told you so." :lol:

(Nah, that was a logical prediction. Plus if anyone was expecting Menken for the fairytale film that came right after Frozen, well, sorry.)
I was going to, but I didn't want to brag :P :P :P
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:The Lopezes are most likely writing the songs for Giants.
These days, Lopez is "failing" on a bunch of new projects. There are a couple of animated musicals he cannot talk about and there is "Up Right here," a romantic musical comedy, with music by the Lopezes.
Source: http://www.dailynewsen.com/entertainmen ... 57491.html

Christophe Beck may be writing the score.
Q: Does the success of Frozen mean you’ll be entertaining a lot more animation offers?

Christophe Beck: Yes, for sure. I've already been talking to some other people about some other animation films which I can’t really talk about yet, but there will be more big animation films in my near future.
Source: http://www.craveonline.com/film/intervi ... -and-buffy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTZctTG6cE