Mickey's Christmas Carol/A Very Merry Pooh Year Blu-ray 11/5

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Mickey's Christmas Carol/A Very Merry Pooh Year Blu-ray

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

This guy makes a point:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=287

"Seriously guys when I compare this with the copy I found online, it looks fine. The only thing missing is the grain."

It's not like The Sword In The Stone. The outlines are there, everything seems accounted for, it may look like DNR, but it doesn't seem to be. If it were we be seeing erased outlines (something DNR is animation is known for). Still, I think this sort of process causes an uproar and I don't blame them.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Blu-ray.com review for Mickey's Christmas Carol:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mickeys-C ... 64/#Review
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Blu-ray.com review for Mickey's Christmas Carol:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mickeys-C ... 64/#Review
This review makes me sad for two reasons:

1. The transfer looks hideous.

2. We didn't get as many short as the original 95 minute runtime led us to believe.

These are both things we knew before this review, but it hurts to have them confirmed like this, ya know? :(
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

At least the following make me want to buy it
Bonus Shorts (HD, 33 minutes): The only significant bonus content included is a series of five animated shorts: Yodelberg (2013), The Hockey Champ (1939), Pluto's Christmas Tree (1952), The Art of Skiing (1941) and Corn Chips (1951). Yodelberg features 640kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, while the other shorts feature 320kbps Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. The four catalog shorts have also been restored quite beautifully, and are presented in 1080p at their original aspect ratios.
However, it is disappointing that the main thing has this kind of lackluster restoration of Sword In The Stone Blu Ray Quality.

Disney is not a Lionsgate or shout factory but yet Shout Factory has some of the best quality release while Disney who has been a staple in the film industry is releasing this amateur quality releases which is a big problem,. Disney is suppose to represent the creme of the crop, however lately their Blu Rays have been the creme ala crap which is very disappointing. Meanwhile Warner Brothers is doing a much better job with their catalog titles, and when there is an error of any kind, Warner Brothers immediately steps up and fixes it. It's a shame that Disney seems to be so lazy with their releases while studios like Warner Brothers and even Shout Factory give better service to it's fans and ultimately it's films.
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I think the time has come to take immediate action:

http://consumerist.com/2008/09/03/45-di ... addresses/

We should e-mail these people and let them know something must be done.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

Let me get this straight: Disney is now making a trend of severe DNR restorations, this release has only lossy DD stereo, the other holiday short film, "The Small One", that would be paired with on earlier DVD releases of this short is not included, no iTunes download (which is not that big of a deal for me in this case), and, on top of all that, they're making us pay the price of a new film. ... Boycott time! Ain't no way I'm paying this much for a lackluster release.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
kidglov3s

Post by kidglov3s »

I took sections of the images and put them side by side:

buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

I got both from DMC today (8 days before release date). That's never happened before. Also got Monsters U from Amazon a day early. I got a bunch of watching to do. :D
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I've decided to write my complaint on the new transfer at the Blu-ray/DVD Help Center:

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/ContactUs

You can do the same if you wish.

And to those who love the new transfer, good for you (seriously). You're probably seeing something that we're not.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

So Luke's review says that the transfer looks perfect. I am confused with all the negativity about the transfer. :? :?
Those of us who grew up with the short on a quickly-degrading homemade VHS recording will immediately find this Blu-ray presentation stunning. The picture is perfectly stable, steady, sharp, and clean. If anything, it's a touch too clean, as long shots seem to lack detail in a way that slightly resembles summer's disappointing The Sword in the Stone transfer. Thankfully, Christmas Carol doesn't suffer from anywhere near as indiscriminate digital noise reduction. Long shots just don't seem to match the otherwise highly satisfying transfer.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

The thing to remember is that, in motion, these restorations tend to look FAR better than viewing individual screenshots makes it appear to. So Luke's review is most likely based on watching the film itself, rather than scrutinizing frame by frame. Certainly not trying to defend the way they are going about these so called 'restorations', but just pointing out that in motion, it isn't quite as bad as it seems.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SWillie! wrote:The thing to remember is that, in motion, these restorations tend to look FAR better than viewing individual screenshots makes it appear to. So Luke's review is most likely based on watching the film itself, rather than scrutinizing frame by frame. Certainly not trying to defend the way they are going about these so called 'restorations', but just pointing out that in motion, it isn't quite as bad as it seems.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. At the very least, it doesn't look nearly as bad as what was done to The Sword in the Stone. :|
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I got Mickey's Christmas Carol today (one day early!) and I'm still in the dark with this. I mean, so far it looks OK. I'll probably watch it some more so I can inspect it more.

UPDATE 11/5: I watched a little bit more. I'm trying to convince myself that the transfer is fine and it seems now it probably is getting better now that I'm seeing it again. DNR involves the erasing of character outlines and I haven't noticed any. Perhaps Disney DID do the restoration right and we're not seeing it correctly?
Last edited by Mickeyfan1990 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jade
Gold Classic Collection

Disney's Picture cropping?

Post by jade »

I noticed on the BluRay forums that Mickey's Christmas Carol's picture has been cropped to hell. Alot of picture has apparently been lost, why would this happen? What is the deal with picture cropping?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's Picture cropping?

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

jade wrote:I noticed on the BluRay forums that Mickey's Christmas Carol's picture has been cropped to hell. Alot of picture has apparently been lost, why would this happen? What is the deal with picture cropping?
They're preserving the matting as seen in theaters and a way to fill up an HDTV.