Cruella (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Cruella (Live-Action)

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Live-Action Cruella de Vil Film In The Works At Disney
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Live-Act ... 39616.html
After decades of giving princesses the spotlight, now Disney appears to be on a mission to highlight some of their greatest animated villains. Next year we will get to see the untold story behind Sleeping Beauty when Angelina Jolie puts on the pointy hat of the title character in Maleficent, and today The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the studio is generating yet another antagonist-based live-action movie and are now moving forward with Cruella, a film about the evil Cruella de Vil of 101 Dalmatians.

Aline Brosh McKenna, who also wrote the script for the upcoming Kenneth Branagh-directed adaptation of Cinderella, has been hired to write the script for the movie, though at this time all story details are being kept under wraps. First created in Dodie Smith's 1956 novel "The Hundred and One Dalmatians," Cruella de Vil is a fashion-obsessed woman who will do just about anything to get a fur coat made out of dalmatian fur. This won't be the first time that the character has appeared in a live-action film, as she was portrayed by Glenn Close in the 1996 Stephen Herek movie with Jeff Daniels, Joely Richardson and Hugh Laurie. Take a walk down memory lane with the video below.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Disney is planning a live action Cruella De Vil Movie

Post by PatrickvD »

Glenn Close is still around.

Who even asked for this? So pointless....
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Cruella has already appeared in live action (101 Daltamatias, 102 Dalmatians). She was portrayed by Glenn Close on both films. I don't think anyone could portray Cruella better than she did. So this wouldn't be a novelty and would draw comparisons.

Now if they were doing "Ursula" (From "The Little Mermaid") live action, that would be something very interesting and intriguing to see. There's an untold backstory of why Ursula was banished from Atlantica and labeled a "Sea Witch" (a very small portion of it is told in the "Poor, Unfortunate Souls" segment, and a little more in "The Little Mermaid II"). Imagine what a live action underwater film would look like! With today's technology, it could be awesome!!! :D
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^Im still wainting for someone to make an underwater merfolk fantasy film using the Avatar tech....
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I thought if there would be another villain movie, it would be based around The Evil Queen. I would love an Ursula movie, but I really doubt that would ever happen (and that's ignoring the fact that it would be more difficult since the story would be underwater).

I wonder who they'll cast and if this'll be a film that follows her through childhood? :? I don't know, just theorizing for a few seconds already makes me realize how ridiculous this movie will be, considering I don't think of Cruella as seriously as I do Maleficent, for instance (I mean, she's threatening in-film, but overall a more comical/temporal threat). Maybe we'll find out Cruella has some kind of disorder or sickness that inspired her to color her hair black and white, and obsess over dalmatians? :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Hmmm...a very odd choice of all villains to make a live-action movie about. If the previous life action 101 Dalmatians had never existed, she would be the obvious choice to follow Maleficent in the live-action movie department. I'm interested to see how they handle this, but I can't say that I find it necessary. Perhaps this is the continuation of an Avenger's-style villains movie? Can we expect Ursula, Jafar, and Evil Queen movies? I would have picked an Ursula movie over a Cruella movie (it's just screaming Queen Latifah's name) but I'm still interested to see how this goes.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can't think of a movie we need less to be honest .... :?

Glen Close will always be the definitive Cruella for practically everyone; can't see the need for this at all. And it could be too close to being a 'fashion' movie, no ? A la Devil Wears Prada / September Issue.

Ursula would be perfection, but that would be hard to do. An Evil Queen film would be amazing too, but maybe they feel they are featuring that in Once Upon A Time ?
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Ursula would be perfection, but that would be hard to do. An Evil Queen film would be amazing too, but maybe they feel they are featuring that in Once Upon A Time ?
So why don't we start a petition to ask Disney to make an "Ursula" film? Looks like several people agree with that idea. As for the Evil Queen, there have been several Snow White live action films done lately, so I think that would be redundant at this point.
Last edited by Angeldude98 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilbyDaniels
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WilbyDaniels »

What the hell is wrong with Disney? Why would anyone want to make, let alone, see a movie about Cruella? I guess they're running out of material to film. They need to return to "family films" They destroy all their fairy tale fims by changing the story and filming special effects and noise. Disney should shut down along with the government!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Hilarious article on this news over at The AV Club:
Disney supercomputer rearranges franchise database to develop live-action Cruella De Vil movie

By Sean O'Neal September 30, 2013

After clearing its increasingly outdated, processor-consuming Jerry Bruckheimer software, the Disney supercomputer that was long ago installed to calculate the remaining permutations of the studio’s existing properties is moving much faster, outputting live-action remakes of its animated films at a speed not seen since it was new. So even with Cinderella, Maleficent, and another Alice In Wonderland all running in the background, it’s easily formulated Cruella, a live-action update of 101 Dalmatians that fulfills its programmed requirement of outputting family entertainment, without forcing Disney to think up new stories or quit out of Chrome.

Of course, both 101 Dalmatians and Cruella De Vil have had the live-action treatment twice before, with Glenn Close playing the dog-skinning socialite in both 1996’s 101 Dalmatians and its 2000 sequel, 102 Dalmatians. But this version (from Devil Wears Prada writer Aline Brosh McKenna, who also wrote the Cinderella reimagining) will be told from the point of view of its villain—an angle that technically counts as an original story, according to the supercomputer’s binary code of remakes. Casting will commence as soon as new programming is inserted to inform the computer that Pluto isn't a real dog and therefore unable to be combined, even if it would maximize resources.

rotfl rotfl
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

:lol:
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Wow...How uninteresting! :lol: I think the 90s live-action film is still fresh in people's minds so their reaction to this film won't be positive.

Otoh, I dont see an Evil Queen film being made sooner or later because of the recent Snow White live-action films. Disney would prefer for the Snow White fever to be over to release their own film.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I would just go and make that live-action Yzma and Kronk movie we all know we want deep down inside.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah, why do this when she practically was the star of the Live Action Dalmatians movies? This isn't like Maleficent, but Disney seems to think it is.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

An Yzma film....Without Eartha Kitt? :(
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

thedisneyspirit wrote:An Yzma film....Without Eartha Kitt? :(
I know. A film with Yzma without Eartha Kitt playing her just sounds... Blasphemous. That's like making another Secret of NIMH/American Tail/All Dogs Go To Heaven film with someone else (and not Dom DeLuise) voicing Jeremy/Tiger/Itchy. It can't possibly be done. :(
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

PatrickvD wrote:Hilarious article on this news over at The AV Club:
Disney supercomputer rearranges franchise database to develop live-action Cruella De Vil movie

By Sean O'Neal September 30, 2013

After clearing its increasingly outdated, processor-consuming Jerry Bruckheimer software, the Disney supercomputer that was long ago installed to calculate the remaining permutations of the studio’s existing properties is moving much faster, outputting live-action remakes of its animated films at a speed not seen since it was new. So even with Cinderella, Maleficent, and another Alice In Wonderland all running in the background, it’s easily formulated Cruella, a live-action update of 101 Dalmatians that fulfills its programmed requirement of outputting family entertainment, without forcing Disney to think up new stories or quit out of Chrome.

Of course, both 101 Dalmatians and Cruella De Vil have had the live-action treatment twice before, with Glenn Close playing the dog-skinning socialite in both 1996’s 101 Dalmatians and its 2000 sequel, 102 Dalmatians. But this version (from Devil Wears Prada writer Aline Brosh McKenna, who also wrote the Cinderella reimagining) will be told from the point of view of its villain—an angle that technically counts as an original story, according to the supercomputer’s binary code of remakes. Casting will commence as soon as new programming is inserted to inform the computer that Pluto isn't a real dog and therefore unable to be combined, even if it would maximize resources.

rotfl rotfl
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be interested if this was more of an origins story for Cruella and not a this is how it happened from her point of view type of thing

Also I think the final decision will rest on how Maleficent does in theaters
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Does anyone at Disney even take the phrase 'Don't fix what isn't broken' seriously anymore?! :facepalm: :glare:
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

When they have something that is successful they make sequels/spin offs like crazy. Air Bud for example the first one was cute, but they made so many of them yeah puppies are adorable I have 2 dogs that are the loves of my life. But come on. Do we need a 12th air bud movie? lol.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Disney Guru wrote:When they have something that is successful they make sequels/spin offs like crazy. Air Bud for example the first one was cute, but they made so many of them yeah puppies are adorable I have 2 dogs that are the loves of my life. But come on. Do we need a 12th air bud movie? lol.
likely using the grandchildren of the original stars. lol
big kid at heart