C'mon People .... !!

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: C'mon People .... !!

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, ok so that sounds like a slightly amazing dinner / Disney experience Escapay. The whole point of the 'Be Our Guest' restaurant is to totally submerge you in to the BatB world, and it seems like they have done that and then some for you. THAT is what the theme parks should be about, so I'm glad they have done that. And kudos to the CM as well, seems like she really loves her job!

Ever so glad to see you have melted slightly to TLM ... she ain't so bad after all is she :wink:

On a commercial level, Tink is popular enough, and her friends and films are well known enough now to warrant a 'mini land' so to speak at Disney - even if it is just another elaborate meet and greet essentially (as well all know how much Disney loves them!), it would be a welcome addition to the new theming of Fantasy Land.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

There is an interesting note that before pixie hollow and such there was actually going to be an Alice in Wonderland section in new fantasy land. It was going to be were the dumbo section is now and dumbo would be located where the big tents are located now. here's the concept art for it:

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

WHAT ???? That would have been perfect; she always has a presence in the parks, and there is definite room for expansion for what they could show of Wonderland.

Is there anything written down of what would have been included in her section?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:WHAT ???? That would have been perfect; she always has a presence in the parks, and there is definite room for expansion for what they could show of Wonderland.

From what I've read and gathered it would have been mostly placemaking and decoration of existing areas and attractions (see the coaster in the background? That's Barnstormer). Nothing like adding the dark ride from DL or the maze from DLP.

Still it would have been nice, and better than the circus. The current roof of the teacups looks even more cheap and out of place now.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:WHAT ???? That would have been perfect; she always has a presence in the parks, and there is definite room for expansion for what they could show of Wonderland.

From what I've read and gathered it would have been mostly placemaking and decoration of existing areas and attractions (see the coaster in the background? That's Barnstormer). Nothing like adding the dark ride from DL or the maze from DLP.

Still it would have been nice, and better than the circus. The current roof of the teacups looks even more cheap and out of place now.
Yeah I know. But still imo that would of been better than the circus theming taking uo half of the new land. I'm aware that the dark ride probably wouldn't be added or such(although they do have enough room to added so.) I also like the concept ver of teacups too. Feels more like wonderland like Disney land's.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

That would have been much more preferable to a circus area for me; Alice is the perfect film for the parks. It looks just so Disney, if you see what I mean ? The whole MAry Blair style etc.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

That Wonderland area looks fantastic, and I really wish it was given the go-ahead. Maybe in the future.

I was at the World about a week ago for the first time since New Fantasyland debuted. While I really like the addition to Fantasyland, I was slightly underwhelmed. I wish the BatB and TLM areas had more to them, and I think a large part of that has to do with the extreme amount of hype and promotion the areas received. I was just expecting something bigger, not necessarily better.

The Little Mermaid dark ride was great. I actually loved the queue area (walking through the caste and then the gorgeous portrait of Ariel in the rock in the queue line), but like someone mentioned before, there was no climax during the ride. I wish Ursula was a more threatening force, instead of just being there, but I digress - still a lot of fun.

I also think there should have been a dark ride or some other kind of attraction in the BatB area, other than Enchanted Tales, which I have actually no interest in watching.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

I've had the good fortune to travel to both WDW (February) and DL (May) this year.

I was kind of underwhelmed by New Fantasyland . . . It was gorgeous and the detail is great, but it was incredibly crowded and there wasn't that much to do from my perspective.

Now Carsland at Disney California Adventure was mindblowing. Even if you're not a fan of the movie, the land is just downright impressive. And Radiator Springs Racers was a great ride!

I also really liked what they did with Buena Vista Street. Like Main Street USA there isn't much to do there other than eat or shop, but it has really great atmosphere (in my opinion).

Ironically, we had to FastPass TLM at WDW and we walked right on to it at Disney California Adventure. From what I could tell, it was the same ride (or pretty close). We walked by it multiple times that day and the line was never longer than about 5 or 10 minutes. For whatever reason, it's just not popular in CA.

Honestly, I think they would have done better to have built it within Disneyland. I think they could have found room perhaps where the old Skyway station (then bumping out into the backstage area like they did with the Indiana Jones Adventure) or over on the mall that leads to It's a Small World utilizing the space where the old Motor Boat Cruise used to be and perhaps taking back some of the land that used to be occupied by the Fantasyland Autopia. Though that would have required rerouting the monorail a bit.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I really appreciate the new Fantasyland reviews. As I haven't been to WDW since 2011, this is something I'm really looking forward to seeing in March. Thanks for all the details!
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yay ! You are so lucky to be going; I will go someday is what I keep telling myself. I know Disneyland Paris is lovely, but I would really love to experience New Fantasyland, no question.

And Disneyland Paris has nothing planned (except for upkeep and maintenance) after the Ratatouille ride, so at the moment, I can't justify going. Again. And I really don't care for Ratatouille either.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Oh my goodness that Alice in Wonderland concept art. I would've loved to see that. Alice in Wonderland just fits so well into Disneyland theming, I'm sure it would work at MK. I still haven't been to New Fantasyland (I left WDW a month before it opened :(). I'm trying to plan to go next summer. Maybe by then I won't have to pay admission. :twisted:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I have the concept art saved as my wallpaper, just so pretty, Seems so perfect for Disneyland too ! And they can totally merge with the live action version too !
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I'm not so sold on the live action version. There's things about it I like, but there's things I definitely don't. I'd prefer straight-up animated version. I'd be in heaven.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think in the physical realm of the parks though the two films could blend and merge together beautifully.

I certainly don't like the live action version more or anything like that, not at all, and I want the 'friend of Alice' to remain in her 1950's costume; but I think parts could be translated over for sure.

Actually, I think it would be quite wonderful to have Burton's Red Queen as a face character …. that would be pretty cool!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I haven't lived in Orlando since 2011, and I've only been back once to WDW since then, this past October, and had an awful experience with my boyfriend. BUT, I loved Ariel's Undersea Adventure (that is the name, right?!)!! I wasn't able to eat at, or do anything other than quickly walk past the Be Our Guest restaurant, but I would love to experience that someday. I don't know if the Princess meet & greet was open yet- I saw the sign, but I'm not sure if it was officially open yet, and I was unable to go in. There were a lot of boards up due to construction. The FastPass+ system was up, and that was new and confusing to me, not being able to get Fasspasses for everything.

I didn't go in the men's bathroom (obviously!), but I loved the Tangled-themed bathroom and don't know why I didn't take photos of it...I don't think I did. :p But that little touch was wonderful.

The Storybook Circus meet and greet area was great fun- Daisy & Minnie and Donald and Goofy. We had fun in that tent with those characters! You know, we didn't even go to the Dumbo area, really...I don't recall why, if it was too crowded or what.
Flanger-Hanger wrote:Belle's Village: Nice, some good unique merch for a change.
Yes! I wasn't able to buy anything, but I loved the shirts and the blankets (I'm pretty sure it was a blanket), and the dinnerware as well.

I think that Wonderland would be an amazing inclusion into Fantasyland!!! The Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland was one of the highlights of my trip back in 2008. And the themeing they could do- the talking flowers, the birds with the glasses, all the Wonderland creatures! It would be amazing!!!
Atlantica wrote:Actually, I think it would be quite wonderful to have Burton's Red Queen as a face character …. that would be pretty cool!
See, that's one of my issues with the Alices, the Maleficents, the Cinderellas of late: They already have the "original" Queen of Hearts as a meetable character. It would just get confusing, right?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hmmm I know what you mean with regards to the face characters.

Alice was a HUGE hit and nothing touched / effected the Disney parks. Maleficant / Cinderella have yet to come, but I can't see them honestly being included in the theme parks ?

Interesting point - as it is Angelina & Lilly Rose playing these characters, can they not be used in the parks and merchandise in their new guises due to having to owe royalties to them for playing the parts ? (A la Amy Adams). OR as they are already existing property, does it not matter ? Coming to think of it, Mary Poppins is in the parks though … do they need to pay Julie Andrews royalties for her likeness ? :?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I wouldn't think they'd have to pay royalties unless they actually used Julie's likeness, but in all honesty the parks' Mary Poppinses don't really look like Julie Andrews except for the costumes.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

And, if you remember, Giselle was at the parks shortly after the movie opened.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Yes, I saw her before the parade started at Disneyland back in December of 2007.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yeah, I do remember that Giselle popped up for a bit to promote the film but then vanished as quickly as she appeared.

I wonder when they decided Giselle wouldn't be part of the Disney theme park family? Obviously the attempt was there - whether it was just for promotional purposes or intent for something with more longevity...guess we'll never know.