The Jungle Book (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

The Jungle Book (Live-Action)

Post by Disneyphile »

Disney is swinging into development on a live-action adaptation of The Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling’s classic set of fables based in India. Justin Marks has been hired to pen the script.

The short-story collection was published in 1894, and the majority of the tales focus on Mowgli, a young boy raised by wolves whose friends include a bear named Baloo and a panther by the name of Bagheera. One of the adversaries that pops up several times is Shere Khan, a mean tiger.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... oot-582283
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's live-action Jungle Book

Post by Sotiris »

But Disney already produced two live-action adaptations of The Jungle Book titled Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book and The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

You don't get it Sotiris, we need a CGI-heavy, fairytale origin story.

:wink:
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

NO WE DON'T!!! The classic animated version is the one every loves.

They had a live version back in the 40's starring Sabu as Mowgli.

The Disney live version turned out to be a real bomb. It was filmed on a shoestring budget, and is the subject of many gaffs that are pointed out each and every time it is seen on television.

Let's just leave "The Jungle Book" alone.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

Damn it, another adaptation?! ... not sure if want.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Another one?!

The first live action one was AWESOME and fantastic! It captured Jungle Book's more serious and darker tone so well as well as aesthetic and essence of jungle temple so well.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I really think they should leave this one alone. It's been done already.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Disney is making plans for a live action Jungle Book Movie

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Planning Live-Action ‘Jungle Book’ Movie from ‘Street Fighter’ Writer/u]
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/disne ... vie/312492

Just about everyone of a certain age is familiar with the famous animated musical based on author Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book - the last feature produced by Walt Disney himself – with its swinging 1960s tunes, now old-school xerography animation techniques, and talking animal characters (which includes that pack of vultures modeled after The Beatles). Some three decades later in 1994, the Mouse House released a live-action take on the story from director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy (1999)), as a more serious action-adventure starring Jason Scott Lee, Cary Elwes, Sam Neill and a 21-year old Lena Headey.

Disney has decided it’s time for another live-action movie based on Kipling’s novel about the adventures of man-cub Mowgli, in part because the book is now in the public domain. Last year, WB was reported to have recruited Steve Kloves (the screenwriter on all but the fifth Harry Potter movie) to write, direct and produce a live-action Jungle Book movie, but we haven’t heard anything about that project since the original announcement.

Heat Vision is reporting that Disney has hired Justin Marks to write the script for the new live-action Jungle Book adaptation. The project has only entered the earliest stages of development, but studio heads have already begun the search for a director (even without any major producers involved at this point).

Marks previously wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li - which is not exactly a beloved video game movie – but he also has a professional history with the Mouse House, having written an early script draft for the studio’s currently-stalled 3D live-action 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie. He also penned the script for the feature-length version of the internet hit “The Raven” (watch it here), which is being produced by Mark Wahlberg and directed by Ricardo de Montreuil (who made the original short). Having said that, it’s probably a fair bet that Marks won’t be the only screenwriter who ends up taking a stab at this latest re-telling of Kipling’s stories.

The Lone Ranger look to become a John Carter-size bomb for Disney, which is going to have an effect on what the studio does in the future. That could mean the Mouse House will stop financing big-budget projects that reflect a filmmaker’s vision, similar to director Gore Verbinsk’s Lone Ranger and David Fincher’s planned 20,000 Leagues adaptation (case in point, the latter was delayed indefinitely from a 2013 production start date). Hence, Disney’s new Jungle Book movie may be closer in tone and style to Sommers’ 1994 adaptation: a PG-Rated film which, in its time, was considered surprisingly violent for Disney, but is nothing compared to the brutal content found in Lone Ranger (not to mention, has very little of that film’s artistic ambition).

Similarly, the box office under-performance of Lone Ranger and John Carter will only encourage Disney to stick to revisiting bankable properties and making more sequels. That includes the Sleeping Beauty revisionist film Maleficent, the live-action Cinderella retelling from director Kenneth Branagh, and followups to both Disney’s live-action Alice in Wonderland movie and Oz the Great and Powerful. Maybe we will get some more original content down the line, but for the time being Disney looks to keep on heading back to its old wells until they all run dry…

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Ummmmm...why is Scarlett Johnason in the talks of voicing a MALE character?! And with a girl snake trying to eat a little boy, it sounds like he/she is seducing her like a woman and a man. I know Kaa does seduce Mowgli in the movie, but this will be worse. Not a smart move, Disney. :|
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I love the Jungle Book but I don't think you can do more to the story.

There's plenty of adaptations of it, plus the original novels, so I don't think a new version will bring anything special.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I love the Jungle Book but I don't think you can do more to the story.

There's plenty of adaptations of it, plus the original novels, so I don't think a new version will bring anything special.
Either it's going to be the same old, same old; or it's going to be as dark as the book with some of the original Disney movie's songs. I'll wait for the trailers.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Ben Kingsley will voice Bagheera.

That's definitely perfect casting. Makes me curious to see who will voice Baloo and King Louie.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
moviefan12
Gold Classic Collection

Post by moviefan12 »

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I wouldn't mind John Goodman getting another stab at Baloo. While The Jungle Book 2 was not great, Goodman actually was pretty good Baloo.
Favorite Animated Disney films: 1. Dumbo, 2. Tangled, 3. Frozen, 4. Beauty and The Best, 5. The Little Mermaid, 6. Cinderella

Favorite Princesses, 1. Rapunzel, 2. Ariel, 3. Sofia, 4.Elsa, 5. Belle, 6. Cinderella/Anna
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Despite the whole 'remake' stigma, this film is shaping up to have one fantastic cast. Elba will be terrific as Shere Khan; Kingsley is perfect for Bagheera; Johansson's casting will ensure a completely new take on Kaa; and Walken playing King Louie sounds hilarious. The only decision I'm uncertain of would be Bill Murray as Baloo. The big old papa bear is not really the dryly humorous, sarcastic type.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Despite the whole 'remake' stigma, this film is shaping up to have one fantastic cast. Elba will be terrific as Shere Khan; Kingsley is perfect for Bagheera; Johansson's casting will ensure a completely new take on Kaa; and Walken playing King Louie sounds hilarious. The only decision I'm uncertain of would be Bill Murray as Baloo. The big old papa bear is not really the dryly humorous, sarcastic type.
It really has a great cast! And I think Bill is perfect to voice Baloo!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

moviefan12 wrote:I know I'm probably in the minority here but I wouldn't mind John Goodman getting another stab at Baloo. While The Jungle Book 2 was not great, Goodman actually was pretty good Baloo.
I agree. Besides that guy who voiced him in Kinect Disneyland and Sulley in Disney Infinity (I'm too lazy to look it up right now), John's pretty much the best option to voice Baloo.

Don't get me wrong. I think Bill Murray's a great actor, but it's gonna be hard to imagine his voice coming out of Baloo's mouth. :(