The Lego Movie

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

The Lego Movie

Post by ajmrowland »

I know this was announced a couple years ago, but I haven't found a topic for it. Besides I only really found out about it the other day.

Anyway, directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller(Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street) reunite for the Lego Movie. Animated in CGI by Animal Logic, which is in Australia, this film keeps the stop motion look of homemade Lego movies you can find on Youtube. It's impressive to the point where it's hard to tell it's CGI.

The voice Cast includes Chris Pratt, Will Farrell, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman.

Here's the trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnY2NjSjrg[/youtube]
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Lego Movie coming in 2014

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Looking forward to this! Even at age 20, I still enjoy playing with Legos, and I've been waiting a long time for Hollywood to make a movie based on this classic toy.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It looks as clever as 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs', so I'm in!
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

The animation is so damn good! And since it's made by the guys that did Cloudy and the same writer of Robot Chicken, it may be awesome! I'll go get my ticket...now!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I haven't been this disinterested in an upcoming animated movie in years. A rent maybe. Definitely not going to blind buy. :headshake:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Lego used to be about imagination once.

Just when I thought Hollywood couldn't be more brain-dead than it is now.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

This movie can still be extremely imaginative. Considering all of the creative things the filmmakers did with the concept of food raining from the sky, they have even more freedom here to go nuts.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

No I mean the fact that the idea was, without a single doubt, born in a boardroom with executives checking the list of toys already made into movies or TV shows.... Lego was like the last thing left.

It's brilliant!!!

The actual movie does look to be made by a team that knows what it's doing.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, that probably is how the film was born. But I think they made the right choice of directors.

Although something I'm surprised we haven't seen greenlit yet is cereal mascots. Honestly, how have we not seen movies and tv shows based on them or even something akin to Wreck-It Ralph? Are Kellogg's and General Mills really protective of their brands or something?

And I'm not counting Foodfight. I'm talking about a legit, big-budget movie made by a Hollywood studio.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:No I mean the fact that the idea was, without a single doubt, born in a boardroom with executives checking the list of toys already made into movies or TV shows.... Lego was like the last thing left.

It's brilliant!!!

The actual movie does look to be made by a team that knows what it's doing.
Arguably, that could be lumped together with the amount of movies based on books and now boardgames.

But I think this will end up being a bit more like the muppets in terms of creativity, and this is definitely something of a huge crossover mashup of lego properties and licenses.

In fact, I really think this looks as good as the Muppets.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This looks like fun !! Is it really all CGI ? It almost looks stop-motion.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:This looks like fun !! Is it really all CGI ? It almost looks stop-motion.
It is CGI that's why it looks impressive because it doesn't look like it.

When I heard they were making this movie I was like ugh whatever.

After seeing this trailer it really looks to have some great potential.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ahh I see !! Really is impressive, I couldn't tell for sure either way.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

This clip reveals some of the characters of the trailer. Mainly Chris Pratt, Morgan Freeman, Will Ferrel, and Liam Neeson along with Morgan Freeman is in this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzcpr3dq7Vs[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I finally saw this through Netflix. I have to say it was overrated, but I did think it was okay (well, more occasionally funny than anything) up until the reveal near the end which made the whole thing too cheesy for me. (Well, it wasn't so much that "the man upstairs" was just a child playing with its toys, which would've been fine with me, but the whole father v. son thing and the sad music... Ugh. And here we almost had another animated movie without the parental conflict storyline.) I did like how they "solved" the villain problem though (Emmett's speech). And, of course, the animation was fantastic--I especially loved the way they did the waves when the group is floating in the ocean. Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson were the best parts to this, imo, and Batman. "This is all true, because it rhymes." :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I finally saw this through Netflix. I have to say it was overrated, but I did think it was okay (well, more occasionally funny than anything) up until the reveal near the end which made the whole thing too cheesy for me. (Well, it wasn't so much that "the man upstairs" was just a child playing with its toys, which would've been fine with me, but the whole father v. son thing and the sad music... Ugh. And here we almost had another animated movie without the parental conflict storyline.) I did like how they "solved" the villain problem though (Emmett's speech). And, of course, the animation was fantastic--I especially loved the way they did the waves when the group is floating in the ocean. Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson were the best parts to this, imo, and Batman. "This is all true, because it rhymes." :lol:
I personally think the hype was well-deserved. As for the whole father/son thing, I think the whole film was very much building up to that moment. It was definitely a pivotal moment in the film and a necessary element for the story they were telling.

That said, I agree with you about the "cheesy" factor. When I saw it in theaters, I thought the "message" that they presented during that portion came off quite heavy-handedly, and that parts of its presentation were almost cheesy. Still, I felt quite a bit better about it on my second viewing on Blu-ray. Like you, I liked Emmet's final speech; I love the part where the father asks his son what the construction worker would say to Lord Business, and then it cuts to Emmett telling Business that he's the "special."

Overall, though, I think it deserves its praise and accolades. The humor was distinct, and the whole 1984 thing they had going really gave the film an unsettling undercurrent that could be felt throughout, even when they were turning everything into gags. The references to pop culture and popular franchises were well used too--there were a lot of them, but they never felt overused or as if the film relied too much on them. And then there's the animation. Honestly, if you're a fan of animation, the animation and lighting alone make it well worth a watch or two.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Note to ajmrowland:

Update the title of this thread. This fantastic movie already made its way to theaters where it was a major hit, and is now available on Blu-ray and DVD.

Said to read that people actually waited for Netflix to have it available before watching.

And to say that this movie was not true animation is really a misstatement and should be reworded.

The sequel is scheduled for 2018, and if I am still alive I will be the first in line to see. I watched The Lego Movie in theaters five times, and probably watch it on the average of once a week. I love this film, and think that the imagination that was used to design it is amazing.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity

I'm not sad at all that I waited, now having seen the film. And I won't be seeing the sequel in theaters either, thank you very much. :roll: The movie is just average and I'm glad I didn't waste the money seeing it in theaters.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Hey DD. Chuck this up to the fact that you have no sense of humor, and no imagination. Lego's have been around since before you were born, and they are just hitting their stride today.

This movie was a sign of things to come in the world of Lego, and surely you must seen their Lego Star Wars sendups.

Don't understand what there is to like or not like in this film. All the characters are from the Lego building sets, and based on a story that invoves a lot of 'your' imagination, and their ability to make it all make sense in the end.

The animation was very well done, in fact it is the best use of CG in animated movies today, bar none.

It took all of four years to get this film to the screen, and unless you haven't seen some of the Lego shows on television (Ninjago Legends of Spinjitzu, Legend of Chima, or the aforementioned Star Wars sendups) you probably should not have gone to see this film.

You need to loosen up, and get with reality and know that there are more people out there that love the Lego franchise and will keep it afloat for many years to come.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity

I suppose there's no use talking to a troll who won't read, but I never said I disliked this movie. I'm not even seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2 in theaters, and I liked HTTYD a lot more than this.

Also, hard as it may be to understand this, but whether or not this movie is any good has absolutely nothing to do with Lego's. If that's the only reason you like and/or saw this movie, then you fulfilled all the dollar-sign fantasies that lead to the existence of this movie in the first place. I hope you'll be around to berate us over how good The Fruit Loops Movie must be, too, because you love Fruit Loops.