The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride SE - Menus and Bonus Features

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DLRP Magic!

Post by DLRP Magic! »

Loomis wrote:Silly me, I went and bought the local edition of LK 2 (which is only a single disc), and I've gone and missed out on the CGI elephant.

Why, dammit, why??!?! 8)
Hehe, same here. We have missed out on some nice-looking menus though, the R2 ones were just awful! I couldn't believe my eyes when that crappy-looking zoom in on Simba came on screen! :(
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

The more I see pictures of "One by One", the more I like it and the more I want to get the DVD just for that. Maybe I'll just rent it. Does anyone have a recording of One by One? I think I've heard the song before, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. THe menus do look animated and the Virtual Safari looks like so much fun!
yoda_four wrote:Bonus Features has a (?) fortune cookie
:lol: I think its a treasure chest.

The button things do seem a bit childish, but I think that's the whole reason they're there. Probably so kids who can't read and want to watch the DVD can use the icons to figure out what to select. Then again, this sort of prevents the child from learning to read by saying, "Hey, now you don't need to read the menus to WATCH TV. Just look for the right picture!"
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

2099net wrote:
yoda_four wrote:I like how these Fastplay menus are all on ressemblance to each other. Play has a play button, Scene Selection has the storyboard, Bonus Features has a (?) fortune cookie, Set Up has the wrenches, and Sneek Peeks has the camera. Not sure what exactly that is beside the Bonus Features, but I certainly dont know what I'd put! I like the colorful menus here, and am glad it's not a TLK menu disaster. I'm beginnig to think that this EasyFind thing isn't so bad after all.... :)
I'm with MMB. Universal had a period at the start of DVD where they tried to use standard symbols for each feature (in Universal's case horrible coloured balls) and the menu design's suffered as a result. You can't just put the same icons on every menu and expect them to work.

I think this is a step backwards.
I agree that having the same icons on everything becomes tiring and may not work. It's not so much the icons I desire, it's the unanimity in the text titles I find better. I like the five choices, and it makes everything easier having the same 5 on every DVD. Not that most discs are confusing, it just makes life a lot easier than going thru the different continents to find the behind-the-scenes featurette! I really could care less if the icons were there of not.
awallceunc wrote:I'm with Netty. It's too much like the standard buttons for Play, FF, RW, etc. I don't understand why menus have to be simplified to this extent. Can people not read? If it says "Music," I don't think we need a music symbol beside it for people to understand. And must we have it phrased exactly the same on every DVD? Creativity in DVD menus is being seriously stifled here, which is a shame. Uniformed menus will surely grow tiring.

-Aaron
Like Kram said, icons could be for the younger audiences. Once they learn that the chest icon are bonus features (not that 5 year olds want to know about production), they can simply search for it. But, clearly that child should be able to read by then, as a 3 year old couldn't properly opperate the machine, though one would expect a 5 or + to be able to read. Obviously, the icones have not much purpose and are just for continuity and decoration.

As for creative menus, I do not see how EasyFind (title options and some icons) ruins anything. I don't see why EasyFind couldn't be applicated to a 3D environment menu; or applied to TLK, BATB, or Snow White for that matter (just require some reworking). Creativity can flourish; EasyFind is not stopping it. I think it's just Buena Vista changing things up; keeping the menus simple.

Some animation is nice, I just don't see excessive animation necessary, especially on a bloody menu! You're there to choose something, not to watch a sequence ressembling a scene in the movie. Zazu flying was unnecessary, the magic mirror's explanation was unnecessary, the storybook sequence in the Scene Selection on BATB is just.... unnecessary. Or even that ride into the caves in the Dwarf's Mine on Snow White! After the first time, it becomes tiring and completely useless.

I liked the Peter Pan menu. Have Tink swoop into each menu/sub-menu in a 2-5 second animation. I also liked Brother Bear's menu, with the moving animation/music in the background with the ability to quickly choose your option. Even Finding Nemo's pretty good. TLK 1.5 is on the borderline: the animation sequences are too long for it to work good. I'd say having some 2-5 second sequences between each menu sounds perfect!
My Blog

- Paul
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

2099net wrote:
yoda_four wrote:I like how these Fastplay menus are all on ressemblance to each other. Play has a play button, Scene Selection has the storyboard, Bonus Features has a (?) fortune cookie, Set Up has the wrenches, and Sneek Peeks has the camera. Not sure what exactly that is beside the Bonus Features, but I certainly dont know what I'd put! I like the colorful menus here, and am glad it's not a TLK menu disaster. I'm beginnig to think that this EasyFind thing isn't so bad after all.... :)
I'm with MMB. Universal had a period at the start of DVD where they tried to use standard symbols for each feature (in Universal's case horrible coloured balls) and the menu design's suffered as a result. You can't just put the same icons on every menu and expect them to work.

I think this is a step backwards.
I agree that having the same icons on everything becomes tiring and may not work. It's not so much the icons I desire, it's the unanimity in the text titles I find better. I like the five choices, and it makes everything easier having the same 5 on every DVD. Not that most discs are confusing, it just makes life a lot easier than going thru the different continents to find the behind-the-scenes featurette! I really could care less if the icons were there of not.
awallaceunc wrote:I'm with Netty. It's too much like the standard buttons for Play, FF, RW, etc. I don't understand why menus have to be simplified to this extent. Can people not read? If it says "Music," I don't think we need a music symbol beside it for people to understand. And must we have it phrased exactly the same on every DVD? Creativity in DVD menus is being seriously stifled here, which is a shame. Uniformed menus will surely grow tiring.

-Aaron
Like Kram said, icons could be for the younger audiences. Once they learn that the chest icon are bonus features (not that 5 year olds want to know about production), they can simply search for it. But, clearly that child should be able to read by then, as a 3 year old couldn't properly opperate the machine, though one would expect a 5 or + to be able to read. Obviously, the icones have not much purpose and are just for continuity and decoration.

As for creative menus, I do not see how EasyFind (title options and some icons) ruins anything. I don't see why EasyFind couldn't be applicated to a 3D environment menu; or applied to TLK, BATB, or Snow White for that matter (just require some reworking). Creativity can flourish; EasyFind is not stopping it. I think it's just Buena Vista changing things up; keeping the menus simple.

Some animation is nice, I just don't see excessive animation necessary, especially on a bloody menu! You're there to choose something, not to watch a sequence ressembling a scene in the movie. Zazu flying was unnecessary, the magic mirror's explanation was unnecessary, the storybook sequence in the Scene Selection on BATB is just.... unnecessary. Or even that ride into the caves in the Dwarf's Mine on Snow White! After the first time, it becomes tiring and completely useless.

I liked the Peter Pan menu. Have Tink swoop into each menu/sub-menu in a 2-5 second animation. I also liked Brother Bear's menu, with the moving animation/music in the background with the ability to quickly choose your option. Even Finding Nemo's pretty good. TLK 1.5 is on the borderline: the animation sequences are too long for it to work good. I'd say having some 2-5 second sequences between each menu sounds perfect!
Last edited by yoda_four on Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Blog

- Paul
yoda_four
Special Edition

Post by yoda_four »

Sorry, double post!
My Blog

- Paul
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Kram Nebuer wrote:The more I see pictures of "One by One", the more I like it and the more I want to get the DVD just for that. Maybe I'll just rent it. Does anyone have a recording of One by One? I think I've heard the song before, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. THe menus do look animated and the Virtual Safari looks like so much fun!
Well, if anyone is interested, here are some stills.

For bigger pictures visit THIS PAGEI made. The ones below are a bit dodgy, and there are HEAPS on the site I posted. However, being Geocities it will exceed it's data transfer regularly. Maybe Luke will be nice enough to host all these images for me (bigger ones).

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage

http://www.geocities.com/nerdcowproduct ... ebyOne.htm

More to come if you want them...
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

Very nice pictures, thanks for them, Loomis!
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for posting the pics, Loomis. I've resized and posted the set here:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/onebyone.html
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Pluto
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pluto »

I think it was a great movie since it was released, and now I will be pleased to buy it on special edition, and the menus and all are very elegant...
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

I got the brazilian edition and i also got a not-so-good surprise...

If you want to know, go to the International DVD forum an access my topic there.

Thiago
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Paul, I'll give you that: it may not be EZFind to blame, but Buena Vista.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Luke wrote:Thanks for posting the pics, Loomis. I've resized and posted the set here:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/onebyone.html
Thanks Luke. I can post some more if you like.

What size did you say they needed to be in?
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

so what languages this dvd include??... has it spanish in it or just french?
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

PheR wrote:so what languages this dvd include??... has it spanish in it or just french?
According to the press release:

DVD Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
DTS 5.1 Digital Surround Sound
French language track: Available
Spanish language track: Available

The Region 4 (which I have) contains:
English, Spanish and Portuguese in DD5.1.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

So EXCITED about the cartoon short one by one Thanks for the great pictures Loomis :) U Rock!
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

Looks GREAT!!! :D Thanks Luke for this great preview!! I can't wait!! I haven't been online for a LONG time, now I just came back to UD and I'm seeing I've missed a LOT! (going to UD is always the first thing I do when I turn on my computer :) ) I plan to go online more often like I used to, I've just been reorganizing my room and that's been taking up a lot of my time :roll: plus I've been really lazy and tired lately :|
Image Image
Miles Baxxter

Post by Miles Baxxter »

I'm not suren how many languages the previous, non-special Region 1 DVD edition of TLK2 had, but the Scandinavian/European Region 2 had surprisingly many to choose from!

I remember I had a lot of fun re-viewing "Love Will Find A Way" and "We Are One" in all the different languages...

But, I take it that this edition won't feature quite that many? Or is it just the Region 1 release which only features three languages?

I'm generally disappointed though that they don't include more languages nowadays with animation on DVD and it seems to be a trend to include fewer and fewer -- including subtitle choices. Does anyone know why? I'd guess it's because they don't want consumers to be able to buy DVDs in any other countries than their native countries, which really is a shame.

Oh, and is there any reason why this release requires two discs? It doesn't really seem like it'll feature any extras that couldn't be squeezed onto one disc. I take it it'll maybe include both widescreen and non-widescreen versions of the film?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Miles Baxxter wrote:Oh, and is there any reason why this release requires two discs? It doesn't really seem like it'll feature any extras that couldn't be squeezed onto one disc. I take it it'll maybe include both widescreen and non-widescreen versions of the film?
It's because of the Vitrual Safari and even the game - both have a surprising length of content when you take all of the branching options into consideration.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database