Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Never Before Seen Mickey Short to Be Shown at Film Festi

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:And LA Times... deserves a facepalm.
In their defence, it doesn't take a genius to see through Disney's little gimmick. :wink:
True, they probably weren't even aware that Disney is treating it as some kind of spoiler. :P
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

"New but vintage looking..."?

What does that mean?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

DisneyJedi wrote:"New but vintage looking..."?

What does that mean?

Remember Mickey and The Goat Man? That sort of thing.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Make sure to read the rest of the article where Jim Korkis talks about various abandoned Mickey Mouse shorts.
Jim Korkis wrote:As a big fan of the original Mickey Mouse, I am excited to see the supposedly "lost" Mickey Mouse short called "Get a Horse!" with Walt Disney as the voice of Mickey Mouse that will be unveiled June 11 at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival in France. According to Disney publicity, the hand-drawn short "follows Mickey, his favorite gal pal Minnie Mouse and their friends Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow as they delight in a musical wagon ride, until Peg-Leg Pete shows up and tries to run them off the road."

In June 2011, Warner Brothers announced at Annecy that it would be producing two new "lost" classic cartoons, "Daffy's Rhapsody" and "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat", in CG animation but utilizing songs recorded by voice artist Mel Blanc for children's records in the 1950s. The shorts were directed by Matthew O'Callaghan and were released theatrically along with a new Road Runner and Coyote short, "Coyote Falls." Producers were Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone.

So the suspicion is that the "lost" Mickey Mouse short is based on some forgotten soundtrack, perhaps for a radio show or an outtake from a shelved cartoon, with newly hand-drawn animation, perhaps from the animators who were recently laid off from the Disney Company.

Looking over my notes on uncompleted and never made Mickey Mouse shorts, I don't see a synopsis to match the description for "Get a Horse!" and from the style of artwork on the title card, it also seems to be from an earlier time period from when ideas for Mickey shorts were developed but then shelved.
Source: http://www.mouseplanet.com/10376/The_RE ... e_Cartoons
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Sotiris wrote:Oh, no! LA Times blew out the secret! :lol:
Damnit, LA Times! Oh, and nice find, Sotiris.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

RodryCroft wrote:I'm going to the Annecy Film Festival this year!!! So, of course, I will look forward to see this short. Is it supposed to be released on november with Frozen, right??? Last year I saw Paperman too, so I suppose that.
That sounds like a great experience! Make sure to report back here with details and photos! Are you planning to attend all the events hosted by WDAS or just the screening? The full schedule just came out if you're interested.
Recruitment Session, Creative Focus
June 11, 2013
9:30AM - 12:30PM
L’Impérial Palace, Talents Space
Join Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Brittney Lee, Adam Green, Raymond Persi, and Dawn Rivera-Ernster to share your work and hear about what’s new at Disney Animation.

Screening Event: Mickey Mouse in “Get a Horse!”
June 11, 2013
4:00PM - 5:00PM
Les Haras - Salle des haras

MIFA
June 12, 2013
10:00AM - 7:00PM
Berlioz A & B Salon, Level 3, L’Impérial Palace
10:00 - Meet the Filmmakers, Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
11:00 - Art of Appeal, Eric Goldberg
12:00 - Art of Story, Raymond Persi
13:00 - Art of Visual Development, Brittney Lee
14:00 - Art of Animation, Adam Green
15:00-19:00 - Portfolio Critiques

Autograph Session
June 12, 2013
2:00PM - 3:00PM
Festival Club
Join Walt Disney Animation Studios’ filmmakers Lauren MacMullan and legendary animator Eric Goldberg for a special autograph session.

MIFA
June 13, 2013
10:00AM - 7:00PM
Berlioz A & B Salon, Level 3, L’Impérial Palace
10:00 - Meet the Filmmakers, Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
11:00 - Art of Story, Raymond Persi
12:00 - Art of Animation, Adam Green
13:00 - Art of Visual Development, Brittney Lee
14:00 - Art of Appeal, Eric Goldberg
15:00 - Talent Development, Dawn Rivera-Ernster, Eric Goldberg and Brittney Lee
16:00-19:00 - Portfolio Critiques
RodryCroft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RodryCroft »

Sotiris wrote:
RodryCroft wrote:I'm going to the Annecy Film Festival this year!!! So, of course, I will look forward to see this short. Is it supposed to be released on november with Frozen, right??? Last year I saw Paperman too, so I suppose that.
That sounds like a great experience! Make sure to report back here with details and photos. :wink:
Are you planning to attend all the events hosted by WDAS or just the screening? The full schedule just came out if you're interested.
Hi Sotiris!! Yes!! I'm planning to be anywhere where Disney will be hahaha.
I knew Eric Goldberg will be there, but today I read about the assistance of Brittney Lee and I literally freaked out!! I love her work!!
I'll try to take as many photos as I can =) And of course I will write here every important thing!!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

To those who think that Get A Horse will premiere with Frozen...YOU"RE CORRECT! ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!:

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/wit ... rBZFwD4.99

"Mickey Mouse in 'Get a Horse!'" premieres at the Annecy Film Festival on June 11. It will be play in front of Disney's feature-length film "Frozen," which opens November 27."
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Obviously, why change a winning formula?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's just been confirmed what we long suspected; "Get a Horse!" is a 2D/CG hybrid short. It was a collaboration between legendary 2D animator Eric Goldberg and CG animator Adam Green.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:It's just been confirmed what we long suspected; "Get a Horse!" is a 2D/CG hybrid short. It was a collaboration between legendary 2D animator Eric Goldberg and CG animator Adam Green.
This is going to rule. I'm so glad Eric Goldberg is still part of WDAS's elite brain trust. He's one of their true artists and I could not be more excited for this short.

:)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

PatrickvD wrote:This is going to rule. I'm so glad Eric Goldberg is still part of WDAS's elite brain trust. He's one of their true artists and I could not be more excited for this short.

:)
Couldn't agree more. He's one of my favorite Disney animators. CG aside, I am so looking forward to this! :)
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Really looking forward to seeing this. Probably more intrigued by this than by Frozen!
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

A hybrid animation?! :evil: Just kidding! :lol: That was awesome. And I am so happy that they will include this short with Frozen. :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It appears that the short won't be a hybrid like Paperman but Mickey will transition from a 2D character into a CG one. According to this report from Annecy, Mickey will come out of the screen at some point and become digital. Think something along the lines of Purple Rose of Cairo where the protagonist comes out of the film.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

OH, COME ON!!!! :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Why such a negative reaction? The film doesn't play as a straightforward '20s short. It would be pointless and creatively sterile to reproduce such a short using the Paperman technique. I actually think this is much more interesting and entertaining.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Why a negative reaction? Easy. They're just being downright cheap! And apparently, if it ain't CG, it won't be good. At least, in "their" book.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

But it's not just CG, it's also 2D. The characters transition from 2D to CG and vice versa throughout the short.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

That concept does sound interesting, though it makes odd for them to be selling it as a lost short from the '20s, when it uses computer animation.

Also, I don't think we can accuse them of being "cheap" by using computer animation, since hand-drawn is most often cheaper to produce than CG.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland