Robert Downey Jr May not be Iron Man in Avengers 2

All topics on all things Marvel.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Robert Downey Jr May not be Iron Man in Avengers 2

Post by disneyboy20022 »

There's been rumors that He might not sign on for it since he's not under a contract to do so, and this article just came out today
Robert Downey, Jr. has been playing the character of Tony Stark for three Iron Man movies, one Avengers movie with another Avengers movie written and he's looking toward exiting the mecha-armor for good -- thanks in part to an ankle injury he suffered doing an on-set stunt.

"It got me thinking about how big the message from your cosmic sponsor needs to be before you pick it up," Downey commented. "How many genre movies can I do? How many follow-ups to a successful follow-up are actually fun?"

The Iron Man star even compares his superhero career with that of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Brady has recently signed a remaining three year contract which will take him to his retirement. "I heard Brady signed on for three more years with New England, and then he's done being a QB, because he'll be 40. I'm 47, and I'll be 50."

Downey can't imagine what it will feel like when it's all said and done. "I'm going to have a bit of a crisis, because I probably haven't even fully ingested how much I've enjoyed it, how much it's meant."
http://enewsi.com/news.php?itemid=24511

I really hope he at least finishes Avengers 2, because I'm not sure how I would feel if they replaced Robert Downey Jr with someone else as Iron Man in future Marvel films. To me it just doesn't feel right. I know they replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle, but that's not the main face of the entire franchise
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Robert Downey Jr May not be Iron Man in Avengers 2

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh what is he going to do, go back to drinking? Come on, he wants a bigger paycheck. This is just a game. He knows he's the star of the franchise and he knows Disney is willing to pay him whatever he wants.

They're paying Johnny Depp $75 million for Pirates 5. Downey Jr. is a smart man, he will be back.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

IF RJD doesn't want to return as Iron Man, retire the character, don't replace. At least for a little. The Avengers have always had a revolving door when it comes to its line up, and Iron Man has left and returned at numerous occasions.

There are dozens of other heroes you can have take his place if you need to.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Avaitor wrote:IF RJD doesn't want to return as Iron Man, retire the character, don't replace. At least for a little. The Avengers have always had a revolving door when it comes to its line up, and Iron Man has left and returned at numerous occasions.

There are dozens of other heroes you can have take his place if you need to.
I agree with you Aviator. However I do hope if this is it, he returns to Avengers 2 and then kill Iron Man off.

However I'm hopeful it's just a ploy for him to get a bigger paycheck, and I hope that Marvel ends up paying him and backs a dump truck of money at his door if that's what it takes. Usually you don't play pay me more with Marvel as apparent in the Case of Terrence Howard, they will replace you. The most recent news that happened, is that Jason Mamoa of Conan The Barbarian was going to be be Drax The Destroyer in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, but he wanted more money from Marvel, they ended up going with former WWE wrestler Dave Batista. I think the same thing happened with Edward Norton and why he did not return to Avengers.

However I agree if RDJ says that's it, they should kill Iron Man off.

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Iron Man 3 premiere: Robert Downey Jr will return for Iron Man 4 says director[/b
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 80507.html

Robert Downey Jr will return for Iron Man 4, according to director Shane Black.
Speaking at the London premiere of Iron Man 3 in Leicester Square, Black told The Evening Standard: “I think he’ll be back for another one. I’m sure of it.”

The actor is yet to sign up to Iron Man 4, prompting rumours that he may be quitting the film franchise.

Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

In the comics there was another Iron Man who was Tony Stark's cousin. If they *do* replace RDJ, I hope that is the way they do it. I don't think that you can replace him as Tony Stark... so I think that you can only replace Iron Man, if you see what I'm saying.

That said, he made $50 million for Avengers, how much does he need? :lol:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Maerj wrote:
That said, he made $50 million for Avengers, how much does he need? :lol:
I think if I remember reading correctly that he was only there for 16 minutes total of screen time

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

It seems now that Chris Hemsworth might not return for Avengers 2 due to Marvel being cheap. I swear Marvel's cheapness is going to be what ruins the Marvel Cinematic Universe
We just reported that Robert Downey Jr is in talks with Marvel to return for "The Avengers 2" and "The Avengers 3." But the actor isn't even discussing "Iron Man 4," and we may now know why.

Downey earned somewhere between $50 million and $80 million on "The Avengers," and has already earned over $35 million for his work on "Iron Man 3," but his "The Avengers" co-stars aren't making anything close to that. In fact, most of the actors are being paid around $200,000, far less than they would earn on any other movie.

Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth received only a $500,000 pay increase for returning for the "Captain America" and "Thor" sequels. And unlike Downey, the actors will earn only $500,000 more if their movies break the $500 million mark at the box office.

Despite having a contract, Hemsworth considered backing out of "Thor 2," because he earned $5 million working on "Snow White and the Huntsman" and Marvel isn't offering anywhere near that, despite the fact that "Thor" and "The Avengers" are massive franchises. Scarlett Johansson is also fed up and isn't willing to take a pay-cut to return for "The Avengers 2."

Marvel is known for low salaries and replacing any actor who doesn't accept the company's way of doing business. In fact, the studio has already threatened to replace Hemsworth. But Marvel doesn't want to replace Downey at this point and it seems that the actor is using that leverage to fight for his co-stars by threatening not to return for "Iron Man 4" and possibly any other Marvel film unless they all get appropriate pay raises.

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p ... z2SoDw9UNh

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm actually on Marvel's side on this. Why DO actors need to earn multi-million dollar paycheques? You could argue they're the reason people see these films, but I think it's the characters and the visual effects artists who are most responsible for their success (and the directors for making them as good as possible, I guess). So if anybody should be given a pay increase for these films, it's the visual effects supervisors, the directors and Stan Lee.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

estefan wrote:I'm actually on Marvel's side on this. Why DO actors need to earn multi-million dollar paycheques? You could argue they're the reason people see these films, but I think it's the characters and the visual effects artists who are most responsible for their success (and the directors for making them as good as possible, I guess). So if anybody should be given a pay increase for these films, it's the visual effects supervisors, the directors and Stan Lee.
I agree they don't need that kind of money. However when Robert Downey Jr gets paid 50 million and Chris Hemsworth only gets paid $200,000, I can see where the actors are coming from. The President made more money in his salary than the actors in the Avengers did. I agree they don't need more money, but if they are paying Downey that much, the other actors have to be feeling shafted.

Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

The difference is crazy. I think they should strive for "if the film surpasses the 1 billion mark" salaries. Avengers made $1,511,757,910 according to wiki. $50 million for a film is crazy, but with profits that high, I'm sure they could afford to give raises to all the characters of the main cast.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Marvel Says ‘Iron Man 4′ Will Happen With or Without Robert Downey, Jr.
http://screencrush.com/iron-man-4-with- ... downey-jr/
Will Robert Downey, Jr. star in ‘Iron Man 4?’” has been a very hot question over the past few weeks. Robert Downey, Jr. and his co-stars have been asked ad nauseum about the potential for another sequel and they’ve all had varying reactions. But here’s a more realistic question: What if it doesn’t matter if Robert Downey, Jr. will return for ‘Iron Man 4? Marvel, it seems, is already planning for life without their biggest star.

As we’re sure you’ve heard all about by now, the ‘Avengers 2‘ cast is embroiled in a heated contract dispute with Marvel about their upcoming salaries, the most expensive of which is Robert Downey, Jr. who earned $50 million for ‘The Avengers’ and reportedly $75 million for ‘Iron Man 3.’ Marvel will surely try to get Downey to return for ‘Avengers 2′ and ‘Avengers 3‘ but that could cost them upwards of $100 million.

As for ‘Iron Man 4,’ Downey isn’t sure he is ready to return (even if Marvel agreed to pay him) but Marvel head Kevin Feige says it doesn’t much matter. There’s gonna be an ‘Iron Man 4′ whether Robert Downey, Jr. comes back or not. Feige told Entertainment Weekly:

There will be a fourth ‘Iron Man’ and a fifth, sixth and a 10th and a 20th. I see no reason why Tony Stark can’t be as evergreen as James Bond, Batman, or for that matter, Spider-Man.

And while it’s hard to imagine anyone other than Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark, Feige brings up a good point. The James Bond, Batman and Spider-Man franchises are some of the biggest in the world and all have had multiple actors playing their lead roles. Once ‘Avengers 3′ is over, we can certainly see where Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe could be heading and that’s a wholesale reboot of the entire universe, starting with a brand new ‘Iron Man.’

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Whedon also addressed how Tony Stark will be involved in ‘The Avengers 2′ considering what goes down in the final minutes of ‘Iron Man 3.’ SPOILERS are in the quote below if you’re on of the few remaining people who hasn’t seen the film yet:

Well, I feel like in ‘Iron Man 3,’ even though he said, “I’ve changed” — he blew up his remote suits, but I don’t think anybody thinks he doesn’t have one anymore. The question is, if The Avengers are called, does he show up? And the answer is, “Yes!”
http://screencrush.com/avengers-2-scarl ... ss-whedon/

Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I just want to note here that one of the articles quoted above says that Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth got $500,000 pay INCREASES for the Avengers. So, they got paid more than that, $500,000 was just an increase.

So, if they are paying these outrageous sums to RDJ, they other main guys should be making some decent cash as well. I'm not saying that each one deserves $50 million as RDJ is admittedly the main draw, but the others should at least be getting some equitable compensation.

Okay, here we go:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/16/the-a ... rs-payday/

According to that article they made from the Avengers:

Downey $50 million
Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Evans, and Renner $2 million to $3 million
Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson somewhere between $4 million to $6 million

There you have it.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Those numbers are insane. With the exception of Samuel L. Jackson none of these actors have a credible career outside of this franchise. Okay maybe Jeremy Renner is still in the 'could win an Oscar' within 5 years stage of his career. But the others? Seriously, this is insane. The budget for the actor paychecks alone will drive the budget over $300 million and that's excluding marketing.

Ridiculous.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

PatrickvD wrote:Those numbers are insane. With the exception of Samuel L. Jackson none of these actors have a credible career outside of this franchise.
I think Scarlett Johansson also has credible career outside of the franchise as well. The rest, yea you have a point.

Also I found this:

and this

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif