The Disney Attractions Discussion Series: Haunted Mansion

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

Rowi
Limited Issue

Post by Rowi »

Thanks! But the gravestone-thing is gone, I guess. Can't find it. Maybe the Death Certificate is there now instead, as a replacement?
Joel

Building my own mini Haunted Mansion!!!

Post by Joel »

A big Haunted Mansion Fan... I have been working on building my own Tribute room to Haunted Mansion in my home... Wasn't too sure if I would become tired of it after awhile but keep coming back around to thinking that it will be pretty cool to trick it out with all of my art... I just finished 2 of the stretch paintings, working on the second 2 now.... The tricky part has been trying to find many different photos over the internet to be able to paint the portraits as close to the original. Master Gracey was my first painting of HM Turned out awesome! Once I have finished the second 2 of the stretching portraits I am going back to the changing portraits.... I even have ideas for special effects to get them some of the character the actual HM portraits have... I would love to have the room completely done before this next Halloween... Have attached my paintings:) hope you like em:)..... Oh well.... can't figure how to post attachments so if anyone can let me know I will post them:) Cheers
[/img]
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Hi Joel! Welcome! You need to upload your photos to a photo-hosting site such as Photobucket, and then you can post the link to embed the photos on the forum. Your room sounds incredibly neat, by the way!
Joel

Haunted Mansion Photos.....

Post by Joel »

Hey Everyone... Thanks for the info on how to upload..... Just wanted to leave the link so all of you can view my paintings. I will be working many projects in the future to complete all of this including sculptures, paintings etc.... Hope you enjoy viewing them :D Cheers ....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... 1416986804
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

A bit late to reply, but I wanted to say your painting replicas are amazing, Joel! I especially loved the one you did of Master Gracey. Hope you keep on doing more!
-Tim
Joel

Post by Joel »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:A bit late to reply, but I wanted to say your painting replicas are amazing, Joel! I especially loved the one you did of Master Gracey. Hope you keep on doing more!
Thanks Phillipfan, Yes working on several projects right now.. Sculpting the candle holding gargoyles and working on the 13 hour clock.. along with finishing up on the second set of HM Stretching Portraits... I'm a busy guy!
Joel

My Newest Stretching Room Painting....

Post by Joel »

Just finished another HM Painting... Here is the link for anyone who wants to see the progress in my Haunted Mansion Themed room... Enjoy:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13263143@N ... 7636384919
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: My Newest Stretching Room Painting....

Post by Super Aurora »

Joel wrote:Just finished another HM Painting... Here is the link for anyone who wants to see the progress in my Haunted Mansion Themed room... Enjoy:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13263143@N ... 7636384919
very good painting. You should do the Sinister 11.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You painted that? It looks just like what you would find at the HM!!! It's AMAZING!!!!! :mickey:
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I just got back from Disney World, and rode it for the first time since 2006.

Have to say, I don't mind the changes for the most part, and still enjoy the ride very much, and still remains my favorite in Disney World. And this coming from someone who hates change.

The only thing I really miss, was the portraits staring gallery as I passed by. That used to creep me out big time when I first rode this attraction, when I was 8, but as I got older, enjoyed staring back at those portraits. :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Disney Attractions Discussion Series: Haunted Mansio

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Decided to post a few more great examples of Marc Davis's Mansion work. All of them I have posted here before, but these are much better higher resolution versions.

First, is Marc's original idea for the deranged woman with the cat, who later became one of the Sinister 11 portraits:

Marc's infamous Medusa changing portrait, in all three of her original stages of transformation:

An up close view of Marc's concept for the first stage of the "Black Prince" changing portrait. I've never been able to see this one so up close and detailed before, and I think he looks rather frightening - bright red eyes, looks to have almost no teeth, and a very thin scruffy beard line.

And lastly, one of my favorite Davis's sketches - his art for Master Gracey. I just retouched it and warmed up the photo a bit so it didn't look as grainy and faded. I love the final portrait, but there are a few things I love that Marc did with Gracey in the sketch - particularly his huge staring blue eyes, a kind of haughty pout, and a floofy wave in his hair.

-Tim