Oz: The Great and Powerful

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:And paying for ruby slipper rights is not something new for Disney either. They did so for Return and could so again, especially since Great and Powerful already takes multiple visual cues from the 1939 movie.
So…in other words, Disney didn’t make the slippers silver to follow the source material. They’re just cheap. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

While I agree that it would be great for people to learn that there is more to the Oz universe than the classic film, I don't think the ruby slippers should be one of those things. MGM didn't just make a change to the books - they made an improvement on them. Ruby slippers are simply more unique and appealing than silver ones.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

If Disney makes a sequel to this film, it will almost undoubtedly have to be an adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Problem is, there already exists a version of that with a green Wicked Witch of the West and a wanded, bubbled Glinda, so making such a film would be rather pointless.

And the ruby slippers are more appealing but I think the original film should have stuck to silver anyway just for faithfulness and to avoid this whole silver/ruby debacle we're discussing right now.

Hey were the silver slippers in this film, because I saw the film last night and didn't see the slippers when I thought they were supposed to be in this film.

Anyway, as for what I thought of the film...I loved it! I thought it was great! Really something! A good movie. I wanna review it, so here I go. Some spoilers, but I won't spoil the whole movie or it's end surprises.

Okay, first of all, what wonderful, imaginative opening titles of sweeping old 1900's invention imagery. They really set the mood, too. Then, we meet James Franco's young magician, who...is not really that good of an actor. :( But he'll do, you still wanna root for the guy. Zach Braff is slightly better. Michelle Williams comes in and is ok. But who cares about the acting when the story and action and visuals are all amazing! You get hooked in starting with the titles and it takes you on a fun, fun ride!

When you land in Oz, it is visually beautiful, not quite breathtaking, except maybe in some few places. But it's still all a wonder. Mila Kunis comes in and she seems pretty great actually. The trouble is, then her romance with James Franco starts and yes, he's a swindler who pretends to be romantically invested in women until he later moves onto another hot chick, but Mila Kunis's character gets too emotional over him for the very short time he spends with her and the little chemistry they have. It ends up making her later bitterness and, well, wickedness seem to come uneccessarily and unbelievably. And speaking of, apples are for Snow White, not Oz. They should have made her drink a potion or something else. And speaking of that, I was dissapointed that this film didn't show how two witches truly, psyhcologically became wicked, but just how one wicked one magically changed the other to also wicked.

But I'll admit when they show their wickedness, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are really great and scary! Especially Mila Kunis. I commend her for being terrifying much like the original MGM witch, which I'm sure was intended. And those flying baboon monkeys! They were an even scarier version of the winged monkeys than the usual chimps! I really feared and got worried over them and the witches hurting Glinda! Speaking of, Glinda was ok again in the acting department. But I must say, for those of you thinking her acting is the same as her character "not doing enough" that's not criticizing her acting, your problem should lie with how she was written, as a character who was meant to be peaceful and "not do anything". The story's twists and turns, and the way the wizard saves the day in the end were all brilliant and cleverly done I thought, despite the plotholes.

Those plot holes are as follows, in white to avoid spoilers: Ok forst of all is Oz a real place or James Franco's dream, because they seem to say Oz is real but Zach Braff and Michelle Williams are in his home in Kansas and in Oz. Then, the whole "my wand/necklace/magic thing is the source of all my power" trope is overused and it's not like the witches were born with their magic objects, right? How did Evanora know Glinda would be in the Dark Forest? How did Evanora and Theodora know what James Franco was up to sometimes in the crystal ball but not other times like when Franco was having them build illusions? I guess they were too busy preparing to fight to look in the crystal ball then... And finally the poppy field in the original movie appeared only when the Wicked Witch of the West used her magic, but here the field has always been there.

Well, that was my review. The film, to me, started off with some bumps but then got better, and better, and better, into a truly great night at the movies. I saw it in 3D and it made those scary things extra scary! I would not take young kids to the film and unfortunately some parents probably did take too young children to see it. Poor kids. :(
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I saw it this weekend and absolutley loved it, a lot more than I was expecting to actually which was a nice suprise. Visuals were stunning; Rachel and Mila were standouts, and would have liked to have seen more of them.

What was interesting though was everyone going into my showing of the film got pounced on my marketing people, and we had to answer quite a vast tick sheet about the film; half for before we had seen the film, and half for after. Even right down to Blue / DVD cover choices !! Has this been a common practice with big Disney films on opening weekend or no?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

It came in #1 at over 80 million dollars. Somehow I think that will make Disney want to pursue the franchise option of Oz and a sequel

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

It saddens me to see all of the bad press this film is getting. I saw it Friday night and enjoyed every moment of it. It also has some of the best 3D I've seen thus far.

I went with two other friends (non-Disney fans). One complained that there are "too many witches" (go figure) and the other one said "it's nice, the usual Disney".

I thought it was great and better than Alice.
toplaycool22
Suspended

Post by toplaycool22 »

I think maybe it is receiving bad press because critics may feel that filmmakers are trying to hard with adapting fairy tales and fantasy films with the CGI. Because by the way, Alice in Wonderland may have made tons of money at the box-office and got a couple of oscars, but it wasn't widely praised by critics. Same with Snow White and the Huntsman.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

It made 150 Million worldwide.

Box Office Report: 'Oz' Opens to $80.3 Mil in North America for $150.2 Mil Global Debut
Sam Raimi's 3D fantasy-adventure Oz the Great and Powerful hit $80.3 million in its North American debut and $69.9 million overseas for a global opening of $150.2 million.

Disney and producer Joe Roth hope to launch a new franchise with Oz, which scored the top debut of 2013, as well as the third-best March opening of all time after last year's The Hunger Games ($152.5 million) and fellow Disney fantasy-adventure Alice in Wonderland, which debuted to $116.1 million in early March 2010.

he Wizard of Oz origins pic tells the story of how a fast-talking Kansas circus worker (James Franco) became the Wizard of Oz. The three witches central to the story are played by Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams.

Disney has spent north of $300 million on Oz, between the $215 million production budget and a hefty worldwide marketing campaign. It is opening in the same corridor as Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, starring Johnny Depp. Alice received an A- CinemaScore from moviegoers, versus a B+ for Oz.

As expected, Oz is making life impossible for Bryan Singer's 3D fantasy-adventure Jack and the Giant Slayer, which fell 63 percent in its second weekend to $10 million for a domestic total of $43.8 million. The tentpole, from New Line and Legendary Pictures, came in No. 2 domestically.

SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...so here's what I'm wondering.

1. How did Theodora not know the monkeys were under the control of her sister (and thus presumably, the Wicked Witch) when the monkeys all seem to come from the Emerald City?

2. Do the citizens of the Emerald City know that Evanora is bad? Do they care? There's apparently an underground which presumes that some are opposed, but at the end everyone seems against the witches. Also how did they find out that Evanora killed Glinda's father?

3. Why is Theodora allergic to water? Are all witches? Is Glinda? Has she never cried before? What did she drink? Does she shower ever?

4. Why did Evanora turn into the old gypsy hag from "Drag Me To Hell" at the end? Was that how she always looked? Did her magic power source keep her young and thus she aged rapidly after it broke? Was her sexy exterior a disguise? How can she be so old and be Theodora's sister? Did she get warped because she used force lightning earlier in the movie ala Palpatine in "Revenge of the Sith?"
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

I'm guessing Theodora's water weakness is related to how her powers are all fire-based.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Saw this movie Friday night. I did not enjoy it. That's not to say I hated it, it just didn't wow me at all (minus the opening credits which are worth the price of a 3D ticket alone... If you are willing to pay to see this at all).

My first problem was the movie felt so shallow. None of the characters had any real depth to them at all. It was hard to feel sorry for Theodora when she just freaking met the Wizard that day. Get over it girl. They made Oz so unlikeable during the Kansas segment that I really didn't give a crap if he succeeded or not. And the dead parents thing for both Glinda and that uber creepy china doll is just such a cliche... I liked the monkey servant. And Noq.

My other big problem with the movie was the Wicked Witch's make up. I know she is supposed to be ugly, but damn, not like that. It was such a hardcore fail by the make-up artists. The prosthetics looked more ridiculous than scary, and somehow they took that tiny little actress and made her look like she gained about 50lbs... all in her face. Normally I can let bad make-up slide, but it was just too much of a distraction for me.

The film does at least deserve an Oscar nom for Visual Effects for that amazing scene of the attack on Glinda's castle (and for the opening credits too, but I'm guessing that was all animation more than effects).

Overall I would rate the film's quality at about the same level as the better cheapquels of the 90s. Nearly every role was miscast and in the the ones that weren't were not given the material to make this movie any better because of them.

I give it a 2/5.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

SpringHeelJack, I think the same thing applies to both sisters; what you are on the inside reflects the outside.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Also, if I recall from L Frank Baum's book, only the Wicked Witch of the West was allergic to water (correct me if I'm wrong, though, as it's been a decade since I read it). Baum also states that she never showers.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

We will not have a remake of The Wizard of Oz because those who own the rights to the movie will not let this classic film be ruined by a remake.

I want this film to stand on its own, and not have a sequel, or some sort of franchise.

1939's version of The Wizard of Oz is a true classic that has withstood the hands of time. Just watch it after seeing "Great and Powerful" and see how much more sense the movie makes.

These stories are basically all dreams. And to read about those of you who are trying to figure out why the characters in the black & white openings are also in the color version, it is because it is all a dream.

I will stand by my review in "What movie did you just watch" that the casting was the weakest part of the movie. Everything else about it is just wonderful and I don't expect anything more even with the hokey ending.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney_freak »

dvdjunkie wrote:We will not have a remake of The Wizard of Oz because those who own the rights to the movie will not let this classic film be ruined by a remake.

I want this film to stand on its own, and not have a sequel, or some sort of franchise.

1939's version of The Wizard of Oz is a true classic that has withstood the hands of time. Just watch it after seeing "Great and Powerful" and see how much more sense the movie makes.

These stories are basically all dreams. And to read about those of you who are trying to figure out why the characters in the black & white openings are also in the color version, it is because it is all a dream.

I will stand by my review in "What movie did you just watch" that the casting was the weakest part of the movie. Everything else about it is just wonderful and I don't expect anything more even with the hokey ending.
When it comes down to it, the book is in public domain, the only thing that Disney can't use is stuff that is trademarked by the original. There's nothing stopping them from doing it if the wanted to, sorry to say.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I also don't see the problem in making a new adaptation of the book unrelated to the '39 version. In fact, I would like to see that produced. It wouldn't be replacing the musical, it would be a new interpretation.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Besides, nothing could be more blasphemous than 'The Wiz'... That was just horrible.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

SpringHeelJack, you have very good questions. I can sort of answer one about how Evanora looked after her necklace was broken. i think she looked hideous because she chose to be wicked just like when Theodora chose to be wicked, bit the apple, and became hideous. And then remember Evanora said she could make an enchantment to make her look the way she used to? So I think she used magic (from her necklace) to look beautiful again. However I admit it didn't make much sense for her to also look so old unless she was significantly older than Theodora.
Widdi wrote:It was hard to feel sorry for Theodora when she just freaking met the Wizard that day. Get over it girl.
I know! Just like I said.
dvdjunkie wrote:These stories are basically all dreams. And to read about those of you who are trying to figure out why the characters in the black & white openings are also in the color version, it is because it is all a dream.
Do you know in the original books Oz was not a dream? Also, if Oz in this movie was supposed to be a dream, why didn't Oscar wake up at the end?
PatrickvD wrote:Besides, nothing could be more blasphemous than 'The Wiz'... That was just horrible.
But The Wiz was also based on the original book, not meant to be a remake, and though a lot of people think the movie was horrible, the original stage musical won Best musical and is considered to be great.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Duster wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:These stories are basically all dreams. And to read about those of you who are trying to figure out why the characters in the black & white openings are also in the color version, it is because it is all a dream.
Do you know in the original books Oz was not a dream? Also, if Oz in this movie was supposed to be a dream, why didn't Oscar wake up at the end?
I think someone else pointed that out to him earlier in this thread, but I guess he chose to ignore that.

Although in his defense, there were characters who were at the Circus and in Oz similar to how the original one was. However I don't think this was a dream since he never woke up. I for one would like to see a new one made. It could be good, and like you said it wouldn't replace the original, it just be a new adaptation to a classic book, as long as they stay away from the properties that are copyrighted to MGM. I think it's obvious that Disney will definitely pursue making a sequel.

Also I enjoyed this more than Alice in Wonderland. I though I heard that Disney also planned on making an Alice in Wonderland Sequel at one point.

EDIT

One thing I want is to encourage people to see this in 3D if possible. This is the best 3D in a live action film I've ever seen, hands down the best Live Action Disney Movie in 3D. Also if you see it this week, you can double your points from Disney Movie Rewards. This time the double points aren't for the weekend only so it's from now until next Thursday.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/articles/oztickets

DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I think I know how they are going to incorporate Dorothy into any sequel/series.

Basically.....

Dorothy is an abbreviation of Dorothea ....

The Wicked Witch's name is Theodora ....

You can spell DOROTHEA from the letters in THEODORA ...

Thus, I think this will be a reason for The Wicked Witch being so fearful of Dorothy on her arrival in OZ. I can see this being a prophesy type-thingy similar to Elphaba's fear of Dorothy Gale and The Gale Force in Wicked.

Just a theory I know, but I don't think this is a coincidence :wink:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney