Mickey Mouse (2013)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Mickey Mouse (2013)

Post by Sotiris »

According to Total Licensing Australia, new Mickey Mouse shorts will be coming in 2013.
This new series of 19 cartoon shorts will begin rolling out FRIDAY, JUNE 28 on Disney Channel, Disney.com and WATCH Disney Channel, among other platforms. An online game, “Mickey Delivery Dash,” is also debuting today on Disney.com. The announcement was made today by Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide.

Regarding the new cartoon shorts, Marsh said, “By bringing Mickey’s comedic adventures to life with vitality, humor, inventiveness and charm, the entire Disney Television Animation team of artists, animators and directors have worked to capture the essence of what Walt Disney himself created 85 years ago.”

Since his creation in 1928, Mickey Mouse has continued to be a timeless favorite, a character that embodies joy, innocence and impishness. While the direction and pacing of the new “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts are fresh and contemporary, they are at the same time homage to the art direction and storytelling of Walt and his animators in the 1920s and ’30s.

Emmy Award-winning artist and director Paul Rudish is the executive producer and director. Aaron Springer and Clay Morrow are directors, and Joseph Holt is the art director. The series is produced under the supervision of senior vice presidents Eric Coleman and Lisa Salamone at Disney Television Animation.

With the slapstick feel of classic Mickey Mouse, the series of cartoon shorts presents Mickey in a broad range of humorous situations that showcase his pluck and rascality, along with his long-beloved charm and good heartedness. Each cartoon short finds Mickey in a different contemporary setting including Santa Monica, New York, Paris, Beijing, Tokyo, Venice and the Alps, facing a silly situation, a quick complication and an escalation of physical and visual gags. The stories also feature genuine heartfelt and heroic moments as Mickey explores and experiences life with his comical partners: Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto.

Geared towards kids age 6-14 and families, and produced in 2D animation, the design esthetic for the “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts reaches back almost 80 years and borrows reverentially from the bold style of his 1930s design, but not before adding a few contemporary touches. Designs for other characters have a similar approach, favoring a “rubber-hose” cartoon style for more exaggerated animation. Background designs closely reflect the graphic design sense of 1950s and 1960s Disney cartoons. For those true eagle-eyed Disney fans, the production team has also included the occasional homage to other icons from the storied Disney heritage.

In the first cartoon short, “Croissant de Triomphe,” Mickey must deliver croissants to Minnie’s cafe, battling street traffic and other Parisian obstacles along the way. Stories in the upcoming cartoon shorts include: “Yodelberg” — Mickey longs to visit Minnie atop her mountaintop chalet but quickly realizes that the threat of avalanche has made the trek up the mountain more challenging than usual. In “No Service,” Mickey and Donald try to buy lunch from a beachside snack shack but are unceremoniously turned down because of the classic “No shirt, no shoes, no service” admonition (of course, Mickey doesn’t wear a shirt and Donald doesn’t wear shoes!).
Source: http://www.nickandmore.com/2013/03/12/n ... y-channel/
Disney President and CEO Bob Iger discussed the new Mickey Mouse cartoons on CNBC’s “Closing Bell” on Tuesday. Iger also emphasized the role of Disney history in offering new Mickey Mouse cartoons:

“We thought that over time Mickey might have lost some of those impish or innocent qualities, some of that vitality that people once saw in him. And so we decided to brig him back – not that he’s really, truly gone away – but hearkening back to what Walt did with a collection of new shorts that depict him in the ways that we thought people love the most.”
Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/disney- ... oon-shorts
Serving as executive producer for Disney's new 2D "Mickey Mouse" shorts project is animation veteran Paul Rudish. Who was just thrilled when Disney Television Animation reached out and gave him the opportunity to be part of this Mickey Mouse makeover. Which seeks to restore to this much-beloved cartoon character some of the playful qualities that moviegoers used to see back in the late 1920s / early 1930s.

"As a kid growing up in small-town Missouri, the legend of Walt Disney was always an inspiration to me, in particular, his early character of Mickey Mouse. I felt Mickey was an embodiment of Walt's and Ub's (Iwerks) own inventiveness, humor, and resilience, qualities that resonated with audiences in the 1930's," Rudish stated. "In starting a new chapter of the Mickey Mouse legacy, I am honored to find myself on the path laid by artists I've admired and hope to re-imbue Mickey with those classic qualities that I believe still resonate with audiences today."
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... 63172.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

May God bless this very day.

Amen.

Edit: With that out of the way. Will they debut with Frozen or on The Disney Channel? Or in front of Iron Man 3?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

First I got the phone interview for the Disney College Program, then Elsa will join the Princesses (I'm ok with it b/c Idina M. will be a D. Princess) and NOW THIS! :D
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The bar has been set so high 18 years ago:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t8zTiyYHXpU" frameborder="0"></iframe>
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

That is a very high bar. Since it sounds like there's going to be multiple shorts, I would assume the quality won't be as high as Runaway Brain.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

In B4 TsWade2 comes praising like a lunatic.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

TsWade is going to have a heart attack from excitement when he (or she) hears this. I wonder how this will turn out. Hopefully they will be more like the classic shorts and not like the preschool shows or Mickey Mouseworks shorts from the late 90s.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Its about time.

I just hope their good. If I had my way, since theres going to be multiple shorts I would want there to be at least one hand drawn, one CG, and another paperman style. That way fans of each medium get what they want. Maybe even throw in a stop motion one if there is a fourth. haha
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

I hope the new shorts are good. It's good to know that Disney still remembers that Mickey exists.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Finally! But I hope Donald and Goofy is featured prominently as well. Mickey and Minnie get's a bit boring in the long run without Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Chip n' Dale...

It would also have been fun to see more characters, like Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey and Louie etc.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Super Aurora wrote:In B4 TsWade2 comes praising like a lunatic.
Yeah, this ought to shut him up for like... two minutes.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Last edited by TsWade2 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I wish I could, but right now I'm little under the weather. I don't know if that's a mean joke, but I'll take that as a compliment. :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

TsWade2 wrote:
I wish I could, but right now I'm little under the weather. I don't know if that's a mean joke, but I'll take that as a compliment. :)
Might be a mean joke but it also could be interpreted into the truth also.

When I saw this news I immediately though of you TsWade2. I'm like oh my our residential Mickey rep is going to be ecstatic

This is amazing news though. Hopefully we'll see other friends of Mickey such as Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and most of all, Oswald

EDIT

I also hope there is more than cartoon being planned
Last edited by disneyboy20022 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

About time!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

TsWade2 wrote:Well, what could I say? :wink:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7YaGwI7GjlA?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Couldn't agree more!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.ca/2 ... drawn.html
However. I'm happy to tell you that the studio is working on hand-drawn shorts. But that's a couple of clicks distant from a hand-drawn feature.
I'm still convinced the new shorts are hand drawn. We have no reason to believe otherwise. He has said before 'the hand drawn team is working on a short' and now he actually uses the words 'hand drawn short'.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Squee !

They do listen to us fans after all !

( re-watches Runaway Brain )

I don't believe that it came out eighteen years ago, it looks like it came out about 07-08.
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

thats great news, thanks for sharing
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Finally some good news! Took long enough! Let's see how they will f* this up.. I mean, how they will carefully select the best storytellers & animation wizzards to bring us good quality animation! Corporate: it better be on budget! It better spawn merchandise! It better be made in less than zero time! Eager Consumer: Aah.. Mickey Mouse on screen again! What a delight😜
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool