Wreck-It Ralph - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, and another thing: In the end, Ralph still will visit Vanellope and all those he met, right? The ending almost made it seem like he couldn't/didn't.
To me, it didn't seem as though he didn't/couldn't visit characters he befriended during the story. With Vanellope being in the game across from his game, he can throw glances her way while he's working and silently cheer her on. On his off-time I sure he reguarly visits her and the others
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Loved Wreck It Ralph!

Both this and Tangled really hit it out of the park.

I know the 2D animation loons here are pretty strong, but let's be honest, PATF was derivative. I think it's more clinging on to the past than anything.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Oh, come on, BK. That's not fair! :(
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

BK wrote:Loved Wreck It Ralph!

I know the 2D animation loons here are pretty strong, but let's be honest, PATF was derivative. I think it's more clinging on to the past than anything.
I think Tangled is far superior to TPATF but if anything, it seems more derivative, especially from previous Disney movies like The Little Mermaid. The Princess and the Frog I find to have many good, fresh ideas. Pity about the meandering second act.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

DisneyJedi wrote:Oh, come on, BK. That's not fair! :(
I'm not saying that it cannot be part of the future though :wink:

I just feel that some of the enthusiasm is solely because it was 2D. I was really hyped up to see it and once I did, I was disappointed whilst both Tangled and Ralph, I wasn't really excited to see (The former's trailer was cringeworthy and some of the dialogue in WIR's was also of the same) yet the final products were great.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

qindarka wrote:
BK wrote:Loved Wreck It Ralph!

I think Tangled is far superior to TPATF but if anything, it seems more derivative, especially from previous Disney movies like The Little Mermaid. The Princess and the Frog I find to have many good, fresh ideas. Pity about the meandering second act.
That's the problem with PATF. It doesn't matter if your ideas are fresh when you they lose their meaning as the film goes on.

In that sense, Tangled, IMO fulfilled it. I wouldn't say it was more derivative either though, but that could just be me.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Q: How did Wreck-It Ralph develop at Disney? When did you become involved?

Rich Moore: I started [at Disney] in 2008 and was invited to develop three different presentations for [animation head] John Lasseter. He likes to hear three ideas at a time. As I was putting those ideas together, I became aware that at the studio they had this notion -- for many, many years -- of a story about video game characters floating around. It had existed as two different incarnations: one was called High Score, back in the '90s, and that didn't get any traction and ended up on the shelf; then another director dusted it off and it became Joe Jump -- that was the name of the project, and that also kind of hit a dead end.

So without looking at the material the other directors had come up with, I just kinda took the notion of "Well, what is it like for the life of video game characters behind the scenes when the games aren't being played?" Because I thought, "Well I like video games [laughs], I've played 'em for a long time and I think that world, of the different genres, could be an amazing backdrop to set a story within." The opportunity for visuals and spectacle, and just the scope of a big movie, would be great.

What would the story be like? After about a week I kind of hit a dead end because I thought, "This is a horrible idea [laughs], because, you know, video game characters have their programs and you know they do the same job day-in and day-out; they have no free will, they have no choice over what they do. Their lot is kinda cast. Who would wanna watch a movie about that?" And then I kind of had a breakthrough and thought, "Well that's a fantastic problem for a main character to have if he did not like his place in this world." It's a great conflict. So I presented that idea to John Lasseter.
Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wreck_i ... -it_ralph/
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WIR is coming out to DVD on March 5th

http://www.disneystore.com/wreck-it-ral ... /#longDesc
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Awesome, just one day before my birthday. :)
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Yay it comes out on my birthday! :party: I know what I'll be getting for a present!
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Got to read The Art of book, and came across several interesting things:

-Wreck-it Ralph went thru the hardest development stage. He was designed as a long list of monsters, animals, and even as a bulldozer before it was decided he should be human. In one of Mike Gabriel's many designs, Ralph vaguely resembles Pegleg Pete.

-Some of Vanellope's development art has her resembling a Who (from Dr. Seuss). She even was green at some point.

-There was another video game world that was left on the cutting room floor, as well as a few deleted characters.

-Glen Keane did some development art (some awesome art, to be exact) of Sargent Calboob--I mean Calhoun. :)

-Director Rich Moore hired a lot of former Simpsons artists to work on the movie.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Blu-ray extras announced!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10178

"Walt Disney Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed the upcoming Blu-ray releases of Wreck-It Ralph and Wreck-It Ralph 3D. Nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at this year's Golden Globes, Disney's 52nd Animated Classic follows the misadventures of a videogame character who forges his own path through his beloved arcade, and features the voice talents of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch. Both the 2D and 4-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition 3D/2D Combo Pack releases of Wreck-It Ralph hit Blu-ray on March 5, 2013.

For decades, Ralph (Reilly) has played the bad guy in Fix-It Felix Jr., a popular video game starring his friendly foe Felix (McBrayer). In a bold move, Ralph embarks on an action-packed excursion, setting out to prove to everyone that he's a true hero with a big heart. As he explores exciting new worlds, he teams up with some unlikely new friends including feisty misfit Vanellope von Schweetz (Silverman), gruff space marine Sgt. Calhoun (Lynch) and eventually Felix himself.

Both the 2D and 3D versions of the film will be presented with a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track, and are available for pre-order now. Special features are set to include:

Disney Intermission: The Gamer's Guide to Wreck-It Ralph - When the film is paused, host Chris Hardwick appears on screen to guide viewers through a series of 10 video segments offering an inside look at the many video game references, Disney references and other hidden surprises featured in the film.

Bit by Bit: Creating the Worlds of Wreck-It Ralph – Fans of the film will get a look at five new worlds created for the film. The short takes viewers into Game Central Station with the artists who brought Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Jr. to life.

Deleted & Alternate Scenes – Four separate scenes are highlighted with an introduction and optional audio commentary from director Rich Moore.

Video Game Commercials – Viewers can check out the commercials created for the video games featured in the film - Fix It Felix Jr., Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Hammer.

Paperman – This animated short film played in theaters before Wreck-It Ralph and tells the story of a young man in an office who sees the girl of his dreams in a skyscraper window across the street. But how can he get her attention?"
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Extremelly underwhelming, even by Disney's standards. I hope they'll give us Paperman in 3D at least.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Lnds500 wrote:Extremelly underwhelming, even by Disney's standards. I hope they'll give us Paperman in 3D at least.
When are Blu releases for Disney's recent films NEVER underwhelming? Talks aside, I am interested in the deleted scenes.

Now, if only we got a short film for this (let alone The Princess and the Frog) that ended up being a mini-sequel. You know. Like they did for Bolt (Super Rhino) or Tangled (Tangled Ever After).
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Blu-ray extras announced!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10178

"Walt Disney Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed the upcoming Blu-ray releases of Wreck-It Ralph and Wreck-It Ralph 3D. Nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at this year's Golden Globes, Disney's 52nd Animated Classic follows the misadventures of a videogame character who forges his own path through his beloved arcade, and features the voice talents of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch. Both the 2D and 4-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition 3D/2D Combo Pack releases of Wreck-It Ralph hit Blu-ray on March 5, 2013.

For decades, Ralph (Reilly) has played the bad guy in Fix-It Felix Jr., a popular video game starring his friendly foe Felix (McBrayer). In a bold move, Ralph embarks on an action-packed excursion, setting out to prove to everyone that he's a true hero with a big heart. As he explores exciting new worlds, he teams up with some unlikely new friends including feisty misfit Vanellope von Schweetz (Silverman), gruff space marine Sgt. Calhoun (Lynch) and eventually Felix himself.

Both the 2D and 3D versions of the film will be presented with a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track, and are available for pre-order now. Special features are set to include:

Disney Intermission: The Gamer's Guide to Wreck-It Ralph - When the film is paused, host Chris Hardwick appears on screen to guide viewers through a series of 10 video segments offering an inside look at the many video game references, Disney references and other hidden surprises featured in the film.

Bit by Bit: Creating the Worlds of Wreck-It Ralph – Fans of the film will get a look at five new worlds created for the film. The short takes viewers into Game Central Station with the artists who brought Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Jr. to life.

Deleted & Alternate Scenes – Four separate scenes are highlighted with an introduction and optional audio commentary from director Rich Moore.

Video Game Commercials – Viewers can check out the commercials created for the video games featured in the film - Fix It Felix Jr., Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Hammer.

Paperman – This animated short film played in theaters before Wreck-It Ralph and tells the story of a young man in an office who sees the girl of his dreams in a skyscraper window across the street. But how can he get her attention?"
Special features NOT set to include: A teaser trailer to Frozen. Who do you think we are, Pixar :lol:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:Extremelly underwhelming, even by Disney's standards. I hope they'll give us Paperman in 3D at least.
When are Blu releases for Disney's recent films NEVER underwhelming? Talks aside, I am interested in the deleted scenes.

Now, if only we got a short film for this (let alone The Princess and the Frog) that ended up being a mini-sequel. You know. Like they did for Bolt (Super Rhino) or Tangled (Tangled Ever After).
Didn't the director say during production that another game was to be in the film, called "Extreme Easy Living 2"? The game was to be a cross between Grand Theft Auto & The Sims! Hopefully that will be one of the deleated scenes.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I knew Disney would release this before Easter.

No Music Video for Owl City? What the Disney! :x
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

The trailers are not included? That sucks,...

I thought the trailer was funnier than the whole movie.

At least Paperman is included...
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

And once more, the Disney Company treats WDAS is its "B" Animation Studio. It's depressing.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Jules wrote:And once more, the Disney Company treats WDAS is its "B" Animation Studio. It's depressing.
It's especially depressing when you consider their last five films were better than Brave and especially Cars 2.