The Aristocats Blu-ray (August 21, 2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Whoa, right on Lnds500 :D!

I was pretty pleased with the 2008 edition but this looks great!

I'm always curious to see how they restore the... sketchier DACs.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

^Thanks! :D

I updated the Aristocats comparison post with pictures from the HDTV rip
Lnds500 wrote:As I said, I created a comparison between the different editions of the Aristocats (Gold Collection / Special Edition DVD / HDTV rip / Special Edition Blu-ray)
* not all pictures are exact frames, but most are
* I also made two overlapping pictures to show off the difference between the current edition and the 1.33:1 Gold Collection edition. This is the first time I'm doing this so, please, bare with me :o

––––––– Golden DVD ––––––––– Special DVD –––––––––– HDTV ––––––––––––– Blu-ray –––––––––––– Trailer

1) ImageImageImageImage
2) ImageImageImageImage
3) ImageImageImageImage
4) ImageImageImageImage
5) ImageImageImageImage
6) ImageImageImageImage
7) ImageImageImageImage
8. ImageImageImageImage
9) ImageImageImageImage
10) ImageImageImageImage
11) ImageImageImageImage
12) ImageImageImageImage
13) ImageImageImageImageImage
14) ImageImageImageImage
15) ImageImageImageImage
16) ImageImageImageImage
17) ImageImageImageImageImage
18. ImageImageImageImage
19) ImageImageImageImage
20) ImageImageImageImage
21) ImageImageImageImageImage
22) ImageImageImageImageImage
23) ImageImageImageImage
24) ImageImageImageImage
25) ImageImageImageImage
26) ImageImageImageImage

Overlapping Comparison (Golden Edition DVD / Blu-ray)

ImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

The HDTV rip seems to have better colour and contrast.

How does the Blu-ray look on your HDTV, Lnds500?
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Jules wrote:The HDTV rip seems to have better colour and contrast.

How does the Blu-ray look on your HDTV, Lnds500?
The same as it does in yours :P what do you mean?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Lnds500 wrote:The same as it does in yours :P what do you mean?
:lol: Suppose I was vague.

What I meant to say was how good does The Aristocats blu-ray look, in your opinion, on a properly calibrated HDTV? I'm asking because while the screencaps of the blu-ray look somewhat muted in colour on my PC monitor, I'm almost sure that on a lovely plasma or LED screen, they will be far more punchy.

Not sure "punchy" is the right word to use here. Hmm ... :scratch:
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Jules wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:The same as it does in yours :P what do you mean?
:lol: Suppose I was vague.

What I meant to say was how good does The Aristocats blu-ray look, in your opinion, on a properly calibrated HDTV? I'm asking because while the screencaps of the blu-ray look somewhat muted in colour on my PC monitor, I'm almost sure that on a lovely plasma or LED screen, they will be far more punchy.

Not sure "punchy" is the right word to use here. Hmm ... :scratch:
I don't know if my TV is considered "properly calibrated" but yes, the colors seem a little muted. I don't think you could tell the difference if you were watching it without comparing it with the older releases, just like Pocahontas.

I answered something similar on Blu-ray.com. Basically no version is clearly superior IMO, both have trade offs.
Lnds500 wrote:Get the Blu-ray. Personally I love this film and if I didn't have it, I would get the BD. I'm torn between the HDTV rip and the Blu-ray. Neither is perfect. You choose either pristine picture but a bit soft image, or sharper picture with dirt, scratches etc.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Lnds500 wrote:I don't know if my TV is considered "properly calibrated" but yes, the colors seem a little muted. I don't think you could tell the difference if you were watching it without comparing it with the older releases, just like Pocahontas.

I answered something similar on Blu-ray.com. Basically no version is clearly superior IMO, both have trade offs.
Lnds500 wrote:Get the Blu-ray. Personally I love this film and if I didn't have it, I would get the BD. I'm torn between the HDTV rip and the Blu-ray. Neither is perfect. You choose either pristine picture but a bit soft image, or sharper picture with dirt, scratches etc.
So ...

1. I don't think my TV is properly calibrated either. :( I have a 40" edge-lit LED Sharp Aquos TV (about a year and a half old), and I have a nagging suspicion that were it to be properly calibrated, I may be able to get even better picture quality from it. I wish there was a good guide to calibrating TVs.

2. So the Pocahontas Blu-ray is a little muted in colours as well? That may be a good thing, as I remember my UK DVD being overly saturated during the "Savages" part.

3. I thought the Aristocats Blu-ray picture does look rather soft, going by those screencaps you posted, as well. But it does look very clean. Seems like Disney gave it good treatment. Keep in mind that the HDTV rip may not actually be truly sharper, but will merely be artificially enhanced. I think I could mimick the effect on my own TV by increasing the sharpness on watching the Aristocats blu-ray.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Jules wrote:So ...

1. I don't think my TV is properly calibrated either. :( I have a 40" edge-lit LED Sharp Aquos TV (about a year and a half old), and I have a nagging suspicion that were it to be properly calibrated, I may be able to get even better picture quality from it. I wish there was a good guide to calibrating TVs.

2. So the Pocahontas Blu-ray is a little muted in colours as well? That may be a good thing, as I remember my UK DVD being overly saturated during the "Savages" part.

3. I thought the Aristocats Blu-ray picture does look rather soft, going by those screencaps you posted, as well. But it does look very clean. Seems like Disney gave it good treatment. Keep in mind that the HDTV rip may not actually be truly sharper, but will merely be artificially enhanced. I think I could mimick the effect on my own TV by increasing the sharpness on watching the Aristocats blu-ray.
Others have said that the HDTV rip has edge enhancement, but if you compare the Blu-ray trailer pictures with the ones from the HDTV rip, they are not that much different in terms of sharpness

ImageImage
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Aristocats (Disney Movie Club Exclusive):
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201730
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with The Aristocats blu-ray. The picture is stunning. I'm appreciating this film like never before. Really gorgeous. The colors, the design, it's all shown off like never before... like a finely illustrated storybook come to life. The sound is wonderful as well. It's so pure. I never thought it could sound this good. Very happy with my purchase today!
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

What went wrong here? How can there be a HDTV rip that looks better than the BD rip? Shame on you Disney...
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Sotiris wrote:The Aristocats (Disney Movie Club Exclusive):
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=201730
Wow that actually looks really cool! A lot of the Premium Package DMC exclusives don't have many "goodies" inside but those sketches look great.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Chris wrote:Just wanted to say how impressed I am with The Aristocats blu-ray. The picture is stunning. I'm appreciating this film like never before. Really gorgeous. The colors, the design, it's all shown off like never before... like a finely illustrated storybook come to life. The sound is wonderful as well. It's so pure. I never thought it could sound this good. Very happy with my purchase today!
I agree! I was extremely impressed! I think the picture looks plenty sharp.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Blu-Ray.com posts these good articles on Disney movies. Here is one for the Aristocats:

"The Making of Walt Disney's The Aristocats"
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9352
ToyStoryFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ToyStoryFan »

My copy came in from Amazon today and I took it for a spin. WOW!!!! It is absolutely stunning. I could not believe my eyes. Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. I don't own all of Disney's animated Blu-Rays but this has to be one of the best.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Thanks for the heads upAmazon is taking forever on my shipments as of lateStill waiting for Pocahontas/Tigger/Rescuers/African Cats/Oswald/Aristocats..
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Barbossa wrote:Blu-Ray.com posts these good articles on Disney movies. Here is one for the Aristocats:

"The Making of Walt Disney's The Aristocats"
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9352
Thanks for that interesting read Barbossa! Much appreciated! I often miss out on such great articles
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

I know the mere mention of DVD is enough to make most of you gag, but can someone please tell me if the DVD for this set updates the restoration or is it the same transfer from 2008?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher :)

ps Happy Thanksgiving!
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I know the mere mention of DVD is enough to make most of you gag, but can someone please tell me if the DVD for this set updates the restoration or is it the same transfer from 2008?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher :)

ps Happy Thanksgiving!
From the review
The DVD doesn't seem to update the Special Edition transfer, which gives us 1.75:1 framing and the '80s/'90s Walt Disney Pictures castle at the start of the film (the Blu-ray preserves the original Buena Vista card). The Blu-ray offers clear improvement over the Special Edition DVD's already clearly improved presentation.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Thank you so much! :)

What a shame they couldn't update the DVD. The Aristocats must have Alice in Wonderland syndrome. Oh well, that's one less thing on my list.

Thanks again!