Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Marce82 wrote:I know this probably comes out of nowhere.... but I'm reading all this stuff about Cinderella's dresses...
But seriously: the dress the mice make for her... is that not the UGLIEST dress ever in a Disney movie? Can you imagine a woman wearing that in real life???
Well, her ballgown is beautiful, but I won't exactly be wearing it to a ball anytime soon ! :lol:

It is not the point of the dress to be the most beautiful; the thought, care and love that went into it makes it the most beautiful of all her dresses that she wears in the film. That's what makes it special to Cinderella I think; people have taken the time and effort to help her, and make sure she gets to enjoy herself at the ball. The aim was just to get to the ball, not to be the most beautiful.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Um... Im not questioning the intent of the dress, or it's significance or use. What I'm saying is... couldn't the artists at Disney have come up with a better design?!?!?!
(again, talking about the pink dress)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Marce82 wrote:Um... Im not questioning the intent of the dress, or it's significance or use. What I'm saying is... couldn't the artists at Disney have come up with a better design?!?!?!
(again, talking about the pink dress)
I guess that's the point of it presumably ? So that it isnt that hot, to make her actual dress look all the more amazing.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea pap I find that fascinating when they do that too.

Marce, the dress isn't supposed to be as beautiful as the final one, but I don't think it's ugly. Actually I like the way it looks in the dress book the best for the pink dress (not the hair, but the dress).

atlantica I agree with you about the dress except I would say the silver dress also represents that because it's the same dress with love and care, just also made even more beautiful by someone else who cares about her.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Honestly, I prefer Cinderella's pink dress to her ballgown. I think it especially looks beautiful on the model in the fashion book/catalogue Cinderella used for inspiration. Also, the pink dress had sentimental value. According to the unused song "The Dress My Mother Wore," Cinderella's mother wore the dress both on the day she got proposed to and on the day of her wedding.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Oh, I agree that the dress looks better in the model-book...and again, its not about the significance (belonging to her mother).
But c'mon...all the bows??? It looks ridiculous... Have you guys ever seen Les Mis in the theater? Madame Thenardie shows up at the wedding, near the end, in her absurd nuveau-riche dress...Cinderella's pink dress reminds me of THAT one...
Seriously... the guys at Disney could have designed something nicer... and I don't believe women wore dresses like that at any point in history...
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

tsom wrote:Honestly, I prefer Cinderella's pink dress to her ballgown. I think it especially looks beautiful on the model in the fashion book/catalogue Cinderella used for inspiration. Also, the pink dress had sentimental value. According to the unused song "The Dress My Mother Wore," Cinderella's mother wore the dress both on the day she got proposed to and on the day of her wedding.
I have to agree with you so much tsom. Her pink dress is so cute and beautiful. And why did they delete that song ? It just adds to the effect on how special Cindy's last ever memory of her mum ( the dress ) is to her and how greedy, rude, and selfish the Stepsisters are when they rip and tear the dress apart.

But yeah, her pink dress is just so cute, while her ballgown just ages her too much and makes her look 30...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually they did have dresses just like that pink one, in the middle of the 1700's, on Marie Antoinette:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marie ... -_1783.jpg

http://catherinedelors.com/blog/wp-cont ... ropped.jpg

I talk about the fashions of Cinderella actually existing in history in this thread:
Historically Accurate Disney Princesses

tsom, I must've forgot her mother wore it the day she was proposed to and married, but to wear not just that dress but any dress at your wedding that you also wore on your proposal is very untraditional and I can't believe would even be fashionably "allowed". You have to have a wedding dress!

thelittleursula, I think her silver ballgown just makes her look more mature and grown-up, a true transformation.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

thelittleursula, I wish they used that song as well! I also wish they used "I Lost My Heart at the Ball." It is sort of customary in Cinderella musicals for her to sing about what she thought of the ball, and this song would have been perfect!

Disney Duster, I've always imagined that Cinderella's mother loved the dress so much that she wore it at her wedding, but added a few accents to it like a train (given that the dress *blank* (*can't understand the word Cinderella sang*) the church side-by-side) , as well as wore a veil.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey DisneyDuster,

Yes, I see the influence, specially in the lower half. But I gotta say, it's quite a jump from Cinderella's pink dress to those Marie Antoinette ones...

Oh well. What's done is done.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Well in my opinion the movie is heavily influenced by the 50's, the fashion of that period(the colours for example etc) and mixed with German-Austrian fashion from the Sissi-period...
Disney clearly didn't go for the Perrault/ French Barrok version, but for a more clean toned down version settled somewhere near Germany-Austrian borders, which i love. For example, Beauty and the beast was more French designed.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Actually, wouldn't the film be influenced by the 1940s? Unless, Disney had a trend forecaster that predicted the trends in the 1950s. While the palace seems to be German-Austrian influenced, I do think the chateau and its interior is french influenced.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I forgot to mention one of the other reasons I thought Cinderella left her slipper on purpose was because the Prince shouts to her "I don't even know your name. How will I find you?" It's just rather interesting that's the line he says and then she leaves a way for him to find her.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

There's no way she left her slipper on purpose in the Disney version. But, I think it will be interesting to have a version where she does do it on purpose, but probably to give him a momentum from the lovely night and not intending on him using it to look for her (I mean who uses a shoe to find the love of his life?). But, he eventually does use it to look for her, so it works out in the end for she and the prince.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Cinderella in Into the Woods does leave the slipper on purpose. I don't think it makes sense since it was really stuck in the tar he put on the stairs, but she's supposed to leave it on purpose after she gets stuck.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

But if Cindy leaves the slipper on purpose why would she be going around the house humming happily " So this is love " ? I mean, she did want to get caught by the Stepmother ?

If Cinders planned for the Prince to find her via the shoe then why didn't she keep quiet and tried to act innocent like she didn't go to the ball and then surprise them all when she actually ends up fitting the shoe ?

I mean it's like Cindy didn't leave the shoe behind because she was too open that she went to the ball, humming the song around the house. Maybe she was too happy and not really being- actually happy for once she didn't think that she was letting clues go ?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well I just thought the prince's line could've indicated something. But yea she was humming the music from the ball because she fell into a stupor from knowing the prince wanted to marry her. She wasn't aware of anything else during that moment.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Yeah, I really don't think Disney's Cinderella left her slipper on purpose. I don't think Perrault's Cinderella did either, but that's just my opinion.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Walt's version was an accident. Remember her shoe while doing chores falls off when she's bringing up the breakfast trays? The only contradiction is that the slipper fits perfectly, yet it fell off because her feet were small.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You can lose your shoe even if it fits perfectly!

But yea she most definitely left it by accident, as it seems the Perrault version its based on had her do.

By the way, there definately was French influence in the film because of all the French names like Chateau and so and so "deboi" and Walt actually flew Mary Blair and other Cinderella staff to France for research on the film. So it's not just German and Austrian, Toky.