Into the Woods (2014)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I acknowledge your points Umbrellafish, but I still stand by what I say because there's a difference between say, Captain Jack using a bone to row a skeleton raft, or The Queen of Hearts having a moat of heads, and the Wolf in Into the Woods being a metaphor for a pedophile and also a metaphor for the prince who cheats on Cinderella to have a romp in the woods with the Baker's wife who also cheats on her spouse. You see what I mean?

Aside from that, the show, and Sondheim in general, have a certain wit and sophistication, and Disney can be witty and sophisticated but it's not quite the same kind. Into the Woods is deeper and also better than the live-action movies and shows you listed.

I will give you Once Upon a Time is closer to the adult problems I pointed out above, but it doesn't have the same depth and quality as Into the Woods and it still doesn't imply anything like pedophilia.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hmm. Make it animated (preferably hand-drawn) and I'm sold. :P

My only problem with the musical is that it follows the Brothers Grimm take on the fairy tales (Well, on Cinderella, at least). I'm not sure how Disney could actually do the... well... amputation of parts of the stepsisters' feet.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

hmmmmm should be interesting. I'm not a big fan of the music from "Into the Woods" or of Sondheim in general.... but I'm all for broadway musicals becoming films! I hope they get Bernadette Peters for the film version. :P
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Emma Stone in talks for 'Into the Woods'
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=714364

Take the above with a grain of salt, of course.

I wonder, what role could they be courting her for? I can think of only Cinderella, or more likely, Little Red Ridinghood.
DisneyMatt89

Post by DisneyMatt89 »

I'm actually not that excited. Much of the entertainment of Into the Woods came from how suggestive it was, which Disney will obviously cut.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

News that this movie could happen a lot sooner now:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/warner- ... an-remake/

Also, something I think a lot of people here will love and be interested in. New York Central Park is doing a theatrical revival of Into the Woods...starring Amy Adams as the Baker's Wife. This July. And later, the show could even possibly head to Broadway and Amy would make her Broadway debut. You can count me as one who thinks she is perfect for the role, plus, it's Amy Adams, a Disney princess, in this show, so I'm very excited! Oh, and Donna Murphy's the Witch too. You know, Mother Gothel playing Rapunzel's "mother" again but this time in Into the Woods. YEA. Check it out:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/05/25/amy-a ... -broadway/

It seems to be a production that has already been running in Central Park. This one? (which, if it is, has already had a recording you can download online, which makes this confusing):
http://www.digitaltheatre.com/productio ... -the-woods
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Yes, that's interesting. But Giselle/Amy Adams isn't a Disney "princess" due to merchandising reasons. :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyJedi wrote:Yes, that's interesting. But Giselle/Amy Adams isn't a Disney "princess" due to merchandising reasons. :(
That's why I said Disney princess, with a lower case "p". She's still a Disney princess in one way, a way that's still exciting for me. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

BWW EXCLUSIVE: Starry INTO THE WOODS Reading Cast Revealed; Meryl Streep Expected to Join Film!
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-EX ... xzUS7.dpbs
As reported back in June, Rob Marshall has made Stephen Sondheim's INTO THE WOODS his next project at Warner Bros/Disney - and a starry reading just has kicked the project off.

BroadwayWorld has confirmed that the cast of the screenplay reading, which took place yesterday, included (in alphabetical order): Nina Arianda as The Baker's Wife; Christine Baranski as the Stepmother; Tammy Blanchard as Florinda; Victoria Clark as Cinderella's Mother/Giant; James Corden as the Baker; David Garrison as the Narrator; Ivan Hernandez as the Wolf; Megan Hilty as Lucinda; Cheyenne Jackson as Rapunzel's Prince; Allison Janney as Jack's Mother; Anna Kendrick as Cinderella; Michael McGrath as the Steward/Baker's Father; Donna Murphy as the Witch; Laura Osnes as Rapunzel; Taylor Trensch as Jack; Casey Whyland as Little Red Riding Hood; and Patrick Wilson as Cinderella's Prince.

The cast for the film has not yet been announced, but BroadwayWorld has learned that stage and screen legend Meryl Streep is in talks to join the film as the Witch, but was unable to make the reading.

James Lapine, the original book writer of INTO THE WOODS, is reworking the script for the screenplay, while Sondheim is expected to contribute some new songs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Great news! :D
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Donna Murphy's reprising Gothel? Hot damn!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

The article I read said that Donna just filled in for Meryl Streep for the purposes of doing a reading.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

i love Meryl, but Donna has the voice to back up a Sondheim performance. There is absolutely no contest here.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Voice, but not the star power. There's the rub.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

LOL, I meant to post this, but couldn't find the thread.

Yeah, I'm really rooting for Donna here because she did the Witch in ITW at NYC this summer and she already did her part in Tangled :D. But sadly, Meryl (as great as she will be in the role) will get it because she's more famous than Donna. :( :( :( :( :(
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I would love to see Meryl in the role! Donna would great as well, but I just love Meryl!!! Truthfully, she is too old for the role, but she looks great so I think it would work! For this reason, I would also accept Bernadette in the role!

The rest of the cast is promising (Baranski is better casting than I could have ever hoped for) but I'm not sure the Baker and the Baker's wife are big enough stars to sell the film. I wouldn't be surprised if they get Amy Adam's to play the role in the film.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

I'm hoping Alison Janney and Cheyenne Jackson both make the transition to the final film as Jack's Mother and Rapunzel's Prince. Both of them I think would be perfect casting.

Hopefully though this one will actually get underway. Sondheim's shows into movies have a tendency to never get beyond the table read. Sondheim talks in his book that the first idea for Into The Woods movie in 1995 would have been done with Jim Henson studios, with them doing puppet creations of all the animals. There were two table reads at the time, that I thought offered some then interesting casting ideas:

Martin Short (the Baker), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (the Baker's Wife), Neil Patrick Harris (Jack), Mary Steenburgen (Jack's Mother), Kathy Najimy (Florinda), Janeane Garofalo (Lucinda), Cynthia Gibbs (Cinderella), Rob Lowe (Cinderella's Prince), Christine Lahti (the Witch), Daryl Hannah (Rapunzel), Michael Jeter (the Giant).

The second read was Robin Williams (the Baker), Goldie Hawn (the Baker's Wife), Cher (the Witch), Carrie Fisher (Lucinda), Bebe Neuwirth (Florinda), Moira Kelly (Cinderella), Kyle MacLachlan (Cinderella's Prince), Brendan Fraser (Rapunzel's Prince), Elijah Wood (Jack), Roseanne Barr (Jack's Mother), Danny DeVito (the Giant), and Steve Martin (the Wolf).

So here's hoping this table read might actually get somewhere :p
-Tim
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Some of these people seem a little too old for the roles (especially when you consider people were married and had children much younger in fairy tale times), but what a dream cast!!!

I wonder what time period they will give this film. The Grimm's wrote all these tales except one (Jack and the Beanstalk), and they wrote them in 1812 so I don't think it should be too far into the 1800's or anything. I would do the 1700's, especially since the costumes from that era are also so beautiful, fancy and fairy tale like. And a German authenticity would be cool, except Jack and the Beanstalk is from London, so Jack and his mother could be British styled.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Meryl would be TRASH as the Witch. Donna Murphy would be perfect. Did anybody else see the disaster called Mamma Mia? Meryl was horribly miscast in that role. She can't pull off young and beautiful like Donna can.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I hope Donna Murphy plays the Witch it would be so cool for her to reprise Gothel.