Elections thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

carolinakid wrote:I will hold my nose and vote for whomever the Republican nominee is. I'm a gay conservative like Taylor on the A List:Dallas.
I'm not saying that you're opinion is incorrect or attacking it in any manner, but I have to questions where you're coming from as a gay conservative?

As a gay man who also tends to learn towards republican ideas, I find myself completely incapable of giving my vote to any of these republicans because they aren't acting like republicans. They should be fighting for human rights and constitutional values, but in sooooooo many ways they couldn't be doing more of the opposite. It's hard to believe that a man like Abraham Lincoln (who is my favorite historical figure and I've read a lot about, in part being from Illinois) was a part of the party that exists today. For my own future as well as the civil rights for all gay Americans, I cannot and will not vote for any of these Republican candidates. Fundamentally, any man or woman who does not support gay rights should not be president because the leader of THIS country should support equal rights for all. It's not a matter of religious belief, because we are not specifically a religious nation. Any religious agenda has absolutely no room in our policies. No one with the presidential office should hold his/her personal opinion over the rights of anybody in the country.

It's like we're trying to convert back to the middle ages where the church controled everything. I don't want to be excommunicated or shunned from my community because I don't agree with every "christian" ideal of how I should live my life. Not that any real christian should judge me for my lifestyle to begin with.

Sorry if this came off as a bit ranty, just some things i needed to get off my chest i guess haha.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I believe Republicans/Democrats used to be the exact opposite of what they are today. Democrats used to be conservative and Republicans liberal. I can't remember when it shifted though; that History class was 4 years ago now. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I believe Republicans/Democrats used to be the exact opposite of what they are today. Democrats used to be conservative and Republicans liberal. I can't remember when it shifted though; that History class was 4 years ago now. :lol:
Not exactly, but you're very close, I believe. Republicans always used to be the party of big business and free market and the Democrats used to be the party of the unions and the working people. Just look at FDR and JFK, who were not conservatives at all. But the Republicans used to be far less far-right. Theodore Roosevelt, a Republican president, implemented the first regulations on corporations because he believed it would protect consumers. And he was an environmentalist. When the party nominated William Howard Thaft, Roosevelt even ran as an independent for the Progressive Party! You couldn't imagine anything like that nowadays!

But the change you're talking about, I believe, came in 1964, when president Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, giving African-Americans equal rights to white Americans. Johnson then said he believed he had handed the Republicans the South for an entire generation, which was exactly what happened. Southern Democrats (the so-called 'Dixiecrats') who strongly opposed the Civil Rights Act, all moved away from the Democratic Party to the Republicans and then the 'party of Lincoln' (who freed the slaves) became the party of the 'white backlash'. Ever since, Republicans have time and again played into this racism for electoral gain, with Newt Gingrich's statements about black people and foodstamps as the latest example.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Since I don't fully agree with any of the Republican candidates, I refuse to vote for anyone other than Obama. I'll be 18 the day of the election this year, so it will obviously be my first time voting. Since I would, obviously, like to be an informed voter, my research has led me to believe that Ron Paul is a homophobic and racist misogynist, whose war on drugs and foreign affairs policies are the only ones I agree with (and certainly not enough to make me want to vote for him.) That whole Rick Santorum/aborted baby thing just uneases me, as well as his Paul-like views on domestic society. Gringrich is an idiot and I don't even see him as a real threat anyway. Ugh, politics.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

war on drugs is bullshit
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0V4U0dOax3Y" frameborder="0"></iframe>
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Being British, I have no influence on your politics but I can tell you that generally we all think the Republican party is the American equivalent of this.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

And of course, John Stewart tackled the laughably idiotic statement made by santorum about Obama being a snob for wanting people to go to college. :roll:
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

ajmrowland wrote:And of course, John Stewart tackled the laughably idiotic statement made by santorum about Obama being a snob for wanting people to go to college. :roll:
I watch his show every night on their website and he never ceases to amaze me with his razor-sharp analysis of the absurdities, inconsistencies and outrageousness of US politics. In other word: he does the job the serious newsmedia should be doing, but aren't. Sometimes he has less funny/relevant segments, but just when I think he starts to slip, he hits back with a segment that knocks it out of the park! (Just like Bill Maher, who slipped a bit, but came back strongly with his commentary on atheism and Mormonism, which I posted in the Religion thread.) Besides comedians, there are little people in the news media you can count on these days to provide good information. I make an exception for Rachel Maddow on MSNBC (an otherwise dreadful channel), Bill Moyers on APT (glad he's back) and Fareed Zakaria on CNN (why does he want to be part of that trainwreck anyway?).
Dragonlion
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dragonlion »

Mitt Romney tells 533 lies in 30 weeks, Steve Benen documents them
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivis ... ents-them/
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Before anyone starts making claims of who lies the most or who has the best for the nation ideas you might want to take a look at the movie 2016: The Obama Years that is playing in theaters right now.

It is not slanted for or against Obama, but has little things that add up quickly. The White House has tried to get this movie pulled from the theaters before the election, but failed miserably.

Before you make a decision on whether you want four more years of Obama or want a change and vote for Mitt Romney you might ask yourself - "In which way am I better off these past four years?" - if you still think that it is Obama, do as Neil Boorta suggests, "read the first three chapters of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and then ask yourself that same question again.

Unemployment has hit a high of 19% unemployed with those collecting benefits at almost 9 percent. Those who are unemployed have used up their benefits and are no on some type of assistance. And if you trace it back, it leads right back to Mr. Obama. Watch what he does with this teacher's strike in Chicago. He won't think about the teachers, he will think about the Union, just like he did for the auto workers.

I am tired of Obama's broken promises, and spending. We are over 16 trillion dollars in debt now and it is growing and something needs to get that out-of-control spending stopped. I am afraid Obama is not the answer.

Again, please see "2016: The Obama Years" and then check back in here with your thoughts. Thank You.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Although If John McCain would have won, He wouldn't have been able to "FIX" it by now, nor anyone 4 years ago for that matter. you Can't fix everything in 4 years. Also I hate the idea of a health insurance voucher that Romney has in mind and McCain. I know we all like extreme couponing, but that's a huge joke. Romney's mind is so flip flop I'm scared to see him as president.

Although McCain most probably would have won 4 years ago, but his choice in a Vice President really hurt him. However I didn't agree with him on this stupid idea of a Healthcare Voucher/Coupon.....

Is Obama perfect? Heck no, but at least he admits it, while Romney keeps changing persona's depending what state he is.....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

I support obama. A lot. I am actually volunteering for his campaign. I posted this in the gay thread, but I figured it was important in explaining why I support obama. I'm absolutely not going to argue about any trans stuff here, because i'm not going to derail this thread. If you want to though, we can always do that in the gay thread.

The most important thing in that article is that the administration made it so pre-op trans people can change the gender on their passports. Most of this probably doesn’t apply to any of you (that I know of). But it really helped a person I am really close to. They weren't allowed to leave the country before this, because they didn't look like the M printed on their passport, and they weren't going to rush a dangerous, painful, and $20,000 procedure to do it. And their license said F on it, because that is legal in her state of residence.

But the fact that she wasn't allowed to leave the country for any reason is horrible. Obama changed that.

These aren't huge issues because it only effects minorities. But the Obama administration still passed laws for the people who needed it. I used this example because it is an example of a minority that I am very educated about.

I support Obama because he supports the people who needs it. He cares. Mittens doesn't care about anybody who isn't a relatively wealthy, white, cis man. And that was also shown during a meeting with a Massachusetts gay couple here. "I didn't know you had families", Mitt said to the group. Like he has never even heard of the issue before. And he wants to be president.
“It was like talking to a robot. No expression, no feeling,” recalls David Wilson, one of the plaintiffs in the case who met with Romney that day. “People were sharing touching stories, stories where you’d expect recognition in the other person’s face that they at least hear what you’re saying — that there’s empathy. He didn’t even shake his head. He was completely blank.”
I don't care if he doesn't support same sex marriage or anything. But I am actually afraid of having a president who can't even show the slightest bit of emotion or compassion. I want someone I can relate to, at the very least on a basic, human level. I don't even feel that in mittens.

edit: and of course, there is the fact that mitt romney "has no memory" of tackling and cutting the hair of a kid who "didn't look right" in college, while quite a few people who went to school with him confirmed it, including the victim. And the fact that a top romney advisor outed a transwoman which costed her her job in the Massachusetts house of reps.

But that stuff just gets so horrifying it's hard to talk about. It's just so scary.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Anyone using "2016" as a legitimate source is out of their mind. It's full of blatant lies.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

PeterPanFan wrote:
Anyone using "2016" as a legitimate source is out of their mind. It's full of blatant lies
First of all, you must not have read the full post. I am not saying anything plus or minus about either candidate. If this film is "full of lies", as you state, let's bring them up and discuss them. I doubt that you have anything to stand on with that assumption.

No where in my post did I say anything negative or positive about our current President. I just asked that other people should watch this film before forming any decision that they may make in November.

At this point, the world is in a lot of turmoil and our President seems to want to carry on his campaign rather than see what he can do to bring this to a halt. Terrorism is on the rise, and Obama is not doing anything about it.

I am wondering what is happening around the world can't happen here and if it does, there won't be anyone to care, be they Republican or Democrat.

I am only asking you to see this film that the White House doesn't want you see, before you raise any of your questions about life here in America.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

dvdjunkie wrote:If this film is "full of lies", as you state, let's bring them up and discuss them.
D’Souza’s Anti-Obama Documentary: If Only It Were True!
http://teapartyeconomist.com/2012/08/31 ... were-true/

Anti-Obama film muddy on facts
http://www.newstribune.com/news/2012/au ... ddy-facts/

Obama Campaign Slams '2016: Obama's America' As 'Insidious Attempt To Dishonestly Smear The President'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/1 ... ertainment
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

^you are literally the best <3
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alphapanchito wrote:^you are literally the best <3
Right back at you. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

dvdjunkie wrote: I doubt that you have anything to stand on with that assumption.
Neither do you. Otherwise you wouldn't make BS statements.
dvdjunkie wrote:At this point, the world is in a lot of turmoil.
HAHAHAHA no.

We're in an economic crisis however dispute what many want you to believe, the economy IS in fact improving just at an extremely slower rate than we want. If you have to blame anything why "obama hasn't a done anything", is more the fact that the republicans don't want to work with him and instead block and repeal all proposals he made or suggest. They're hell bent on trying ruin Obama as if it's more important that helping the country and improving. Multiple times Obama tried to work with the GOP but they just don't want to do anything to help back.
dvdjunkie wrote:Terrorism is on the rise,
No it hasn't actually. In America the terrorism has diminish greatly since then. It mostly the media trying use fear mongering to the public in order to convince the mass there is. Since I live near the city, NYC, I can assure you the security up-tightness isn't as crazy it it was 10 to 7 years ago.
dvdjunkie wrote:and Obama is not doing anything about it.
Err did assassinating Obama bin Laden not mean anything to you?
dvdjunkie wrote:I am only asking you to see this film that the White House doesn't want you see, before you raise any of your questions about life here in America.
I don't watch BS. Especially considering how hypocritical and a liar D'Souza is.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

The best part of "2016" is when Bill Maher had the director on his show and he noted that although he has never met Obama, he knows what's going on inside his head.

I'm sure you do. :roll: :lol: