Movies Anywhere

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Movies Anywhere

Post by SWillie! »

According to Stitch Kingdom, the digital distribution tool Disney Studios All Access has been renamed to Disney Movies Anywhere.
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-mov ... ere-21844/

As I've made pretty clear in earlier discussions, I'm very excited about this next step in digital distribution. I know there are strong opinions both for and against it, but that is not what this thread is for. Rather than argue the merits of digital distribution, this thread is for sharing how you think Disney ought to handle Disney Movies Anywhere, if you had your way.

I'm just curious to see what everyone wants out of the ever growing digital age. What devices do you see yourself using most? Where do see physical media fitting in? What do actually want the Disney Movies site and app to look like, and to work like?

Here's how I see Disney Movies Anywhere:

Buying Movies
Being a collector, I still find having something tangible very valuable, and I like to be able to give movies as gifts. Giving a digital movie as a gift isn't very exciting, so the way I see buying a movie in the future is by buying some sort of collectible, and along with that you receive a code to unlock that movie in your account. So, for instance... If Cinderella were the movie, you could buy a number of collectibles, like the ones they've just released on DisneyStore.com. For a little girl, you could buy a Cinderella doll. For a boy, a plush of Jaq and Gus. For an adult collector... a glass slipper replica, limited edition art print, or maybe something like the Steelbook cases they've been releasing that houses litho prints or a storybook. You would of course also have the option to buy just the digital copy alone, but all of these options would come with a code to unlock the movie.

When you unlock the movie, it would allow you to access and stream the film on any device by signing in to your DMA account. Obviously the app would be on all Apple devices and you could access it through a website, bu more importantly, the app would be available on TV devices, like Apple TV, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, etc. Depending on your device and connection speed, the films would stream at up to 1080p.

The App
The app itself would have an icon of the Castle, much like the current iTunes Store icon. When you started the app, it would show a very quick version of the castle logo as the loading screen and go straight to the menu.

The menu would be focused on organization and groupings of movies. You would be able to choose to browse movies a number of different ways. Everything would be icon and image based, rather than text or lists. There would be icons for WDAS, Pixar, and other studio-based groupings. There would be franchise groupings... Disney Princess, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, etc. There would be a section for short films, and a section for classic live action.

Navigating the App
When you select a group, like WDAS, you would then choose a movie from the next menu. It would again be poster images (although lists would be an option), and you would be able to choose to sort by name, release date, or other options. ALL of Disney's films would appear here, even the ones you have yet to purchase. (There would be a separate section for "My Movies"). If you selected a movie you dont own yet, it would take you to a page with buying options. This system would be an effective marketing technique ("I'm only missing three movies from this section!") effectively educating customers on what they don't yet own, while also catering to collectors in the sense that entire "canons" or series would be listed.

When you select a movie, you are taken to that movie's page. Using Cinderella as an example, the page would showcase the films logo and main characters, with the "Play Movie" option highlighted. On the same page, you also see selection options for any sequels, shorts, or bonus features. If you didn't own the sequels, they would still show with buying options. Bonus features would be unlocked when you purchase the movie, and more could be unlocked other ways... almost as prizes for games or for watching other bonuses. With this page setup, everything would be very franchise focused, allowing the original films to be showcased along with any related materials. Bonus features would include ALL of the previous releases bonus features, as well as new uploads periodically.

Your Account
All of this content would all be available on any device you access, by simply logging in. It would also be linked to your other Disney accounts, and content would be available based on your entire online Disney presence. For instance, exclusive bonus features or classic films would only be available to D23 members. If you booked a vacation on DisneyWorld.com, the next time you play Cinderella, there would be a short clip before the film of Cinderella from the parks - "We're excited that you'll be joining us here at Walt Disney World soon! We can't wait to meet you! Enjoy the movie and we'll see you soon!" Everything would sync across all your accounts and all your devices.

That's all I got for now. I'm really curious to her what people think about these ideas and I'm even more curious to see how Disney handles this project when they finally launch Disney Movies Anywhere.

Share your ideas of what you want to see out of DMA :D
Last edited by SWillie! on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sounds like you've got some good ideas, SWillie! Probably more imaginative than anything I'd come up with. :lol:

In any case, I'd just want them to use the medium to share things that wouldn't really appeal to the average DVD-buyer. Make sure worthy bonus features are incorporated. Make rare vintage shows and films easily available as well. And above all, don't give people outside the US the short straw. :roll:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I don't like the name change. Disney Studios All Access was much better.

Here's the original thread: Ditch DVDs? Disney's Keychest
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Sounds fun. Too bad they shut it down for Canada's users. *grumble grumble*

-Skyler
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Totally agreed. Disney Movies Anywhere sounds much cheaper.

And thanks Wondy! I agree, Disney needs to utilize this to get those hard to find films and shows made available.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between this and Disney Movies Online? Is this the next-generation of DMO?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Basically, yes. The way I understand it, Disney Movies Online has basically been an early test just to see how people react to an online service. I assume Disney Movies Anywhere will be much more in-depth.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Thanks!!

I love Disney Movies Online - I have 24 movies so far.

In terms of how to improve what they've been doing, I agree about including the extras. Some of the movies that are available through DMO include them but many do not. I think all of them should.

I also agree about making some of the harder to find films available. As it is, right now, some movies you can get through DMO and others you have to get through Amazon. And, they just removed a bunch of them from DMO (and I believe made them available through Amazon). I'd love to see one platform - regardless of whether that's Disney or Amazon - it gets a little crazy toggling back and forth.

I'd also like to see some sort of pricing strategy. Right now if you own a movie and you want it through DMO, it costs about $6 which seems steep when Vudu is about $2 for everything else. I for one believe Disney can charge a premium but 3x the amount is a bit much. Maybe they could offer bundling of some sort like $100 to convert all of your existing movies to digital.

Finally, I'd love to see them offer some sort of way to download one copy to physical media. When they removed a bunch of movies from DMO a few months ago, it was with a "We apologize for the inconvenience. Call this number and we'll give you another movie in return."

Well, if they decided to take away my one and only copy of The Little Mermaid, for instance (by retiring it) I'd be pissed. I wouldn't care what they were offering instead.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

- no geo-lock
- audio and subtitle selection, allowing us which version of which dub to use
- let you download the movies, streaming sucks

far fetched and impossible to happen? tell me about it :D
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

A such service should be called "Disney Vault"! Pssh...
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

271286 wrote:A such service should be called "Disney Vault"! Pssh...
I actually like this idea.

Online Vault
Digital Vault

Something like that
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I think if they are serious about winning physical media owners over, they need to offer free (not discounted, FREE) access to movies the collector already owns on DVD or Blu-ray. After trading in my VHS for DVD and not being expected to do the same for Blu-ray, I'm sick of re-buying my collection every decade or so. Somehow, I bet I'm not alone in that feeling.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

(looks on Website) Okay... I hate this idea. If it's all streaming, then boy, will we have a hard time. What happens if that film goes "back to the vault"? Will that end the film's streaming or... (looks at bottom of page)
A-HA! I THOUGHT SO! You can't even get the films that are (or will) go out-of-print! What a waste! Plus, 10 to 15 dollars to own a old/new film? That's not that big of a difference when compared to getting the same films in Blu-ray/DVD combos for just a few dollars more.
Proving that, once again, that owning a personal hard copy of the film always has the advantages, especially for the foreigners.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

milojthatch wrote:I think if they are serious about winning physical media owners over, they need to offer free (not discounted, FREE) access to movies the collector already owns on DVD or Blu-ray. After trading in my VHS for DVD and not being expected to do the same for Blu-ray, I'm sick of re-buying my collection every decade or so. Somehow, I bet I'm not alone in that feeling.
(this will be off-topic) Well, you're not missing much. And boy, can Blu-ray be a pain! Sure you get better picture and sound on many films (The Fox and the Hound is a day-and-night difference when compared to the 2006 DVD), but there are some bad things that keeps people from liking Blu-ray as much as DVD's- long loading times, useless BD-Java, original audio not included and many Bonus features dropped from old DVDs AND laserdiscs
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

disneyftw, I think you need to look into the website a little more before you go ranting about it. I'm not sure you totally understand it. Are you looking at Disney Video Beta or Disney Movies Online?

When a film goes back into the vault, it simply means that you can't buy it anymore, just as it does when a film's DVD or blu-ray goes back in the vault. If you already own the film, you can of course continue to stream it.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

SWillie! wrote:disneyftw, I think you need to look into the website a little more before you go ranting about it. I'm not sure you totally understand it. Are you looking at Disney Video Beta or Disney Movies Online?

When a film goes back into the vault, it simply means that you can't buy it anymore, just as it does when a film's DVD or blu-ray goes back in the vault. If you already own the film, you can of course continue to stream it.
I did check on both and probably made quick and not-so-deep conclusions (not at home right now.) ... doesn't the Disney video beta only have clips of the film? I don't really see anything full length there... yet, it's just beta, so let's see what will happen.

If you own the film, you can still stream it? ... okay, that's good. Didn't know how that works since I mainly buy Disney films on physical media, never through iTunes or any streaming webs. ... course, that's if you just bought the digital version before going "back to the vault". Any newcomer might not catch it because they just ended the purchasing service for that film. ...
Yeah, still new on how Disney handles movies online.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

While Disney Video Beta only has smaller clips and bonus-like material (along with the full short films). Disney Movies Online, however, is where you can watch the full movies. Any Combo Pack you buy that includes a digital copy automatically adds that film to your digital library for free. Other blu-rays or DVDs that don't include a digital copy, you can upgrade for 5 bucks to add the streaming version (which includes certain bonus features for some films).

Once a film is in your library, you own that movie - they will not take it away from you when it goes in the vault. You just can't buy it after it has been vaulted. So yes, newcomers are out of luck.

Both Disney Movies Online and Disney Video Beta are tests for Disney to test the waters as they prepare to launch the real deal. Currently called Disney Movies Anywhere, this service will most likely be the best of both current sites.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

SWillie! wrote:While Disney Video Beta only has smaller clips and bonus-like material (along with the full short films). Disney Movies Online, however, is where you can watch the full movies. Any Combo Pack you buy that includes a digital copy automatically adds that film to your digital library for free. Other blu-rays or DVDs that don't include a digital copy, you can upgrade for 5 bucks to add the streaming version (which includes certain bonus features for some films).

Once a film is in your library, you own that movie - they will not take it away from you when it goes in the vault. You just can't buy it after it has been vaulted. So yes, newcomers are out of luck.

Both Disney Movies Online and Disney Video Beta are tests for Disney to test the waters as they prepare to launch the real deal. Currently called Disney Movies Anywhere, this service will most likely be the best of both current sites.

By and large you're correct that they don't take a movie away from you when it's vaulted. But earlier this year, they did decide to remove a number of films from their service altogether. See below:

http://disneymoviesonline.go.com/news

Scanning the list, my knee jerk reaction is, "Who cares? Most of these movies aren't that great." But I guess I'm concerned about the precedent . . . I mean what's to stop them from determining that they don't want to support any movie that has gone into the vault?

With the physical media, at least it's yours . . . so long as you can find a player for it.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

That's a good point. I wish they had given a reason why those certain movies were taken off. It just seems like a completely random assortment. Hopefully they'll be available in the new version
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney Movies Anywhere - Share your ideas!

Post by DancingCrab »

So this launched today…

and I see that most of my movies that were in Disney Movies Online HAVE been transferred over, even vaulted classics like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. I thought I had completely lost them. :)

Edited to add article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... e/5800769/