Villains Designer Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Villains Designer Collection

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Looks like Disney has continued a follow up to their previous Princess designer collection: this one featuring the fabulous Disney villainesses, including Maleficent, Cruella, Ursula, the Evil Queen, Queen of Hearts, and Mother Gothel.

http://blog.disneystore.com/blog/2012/0 ... tore-.html
-Tim
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

As a villain fan and someone who collects Disney Villain merchandise, I was excited about these...until I saw them. I can't stand the way they look! They don't even resemble the characters they're supposed to be based on! I mean, look at Ursula--She's not supposed to be an anorexic little twig, she's supposed to be a BBW! Gah. That's frustrating.

I want Disney Store dolls of characters who have NEVER gotten any made of them at all. Characters like...Lady Tremaine, GASTON. Dr. Facilier. Madam Mim. Medusa. McLeach. THE HORNED KING. Hades. FROLLO. It seems we only ever get Maleficent, the Queen, Captain Hook, Cruella...
Last edited by ProfessorRatigan on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

There are lovely!
omg :D

My least favorite would be Maleficent, it's just they haven't captured her horns correctly.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, pretty awful. Looking at the designs on the handbags and the journals, they don't look as bad as the dolls turned out. I would probably buy the journals, but you couldn't pay me to take one of those dolls--and they definitely do not deserve to be $80 each. The only one that arguably turned out good is Mother Gothel (the flower on her dress is a nice touch), but her design feels too much like Yzma to me overall. The Evil Queen and the Queen of Hearts are passable. Maleficent looks ready for a S&M session.

Even out of the original designs, Ursula is the worst. I get the bottom half is supposed to be coral-esque, but I really don't think they should've had so much of that one purple. Also, it would've been better to turn the black upper half into a corset. I don't even mind that they made her thin, considering she was thin on the TV show before; I just wish she wasn't the ugliest of the whole group. They seem to have borrowed a lot from her Broadway design (the hair and slender figure with huge bottom half). :x The Queen of Hearts is cute in a whimsical way in the designs, though I'm surprised there's so much yellow-gold, considering black/white/red were her more dominant colors.

This also makes me wonder if Gothel will join the Queen, Maleficent, Ursula, and Cruella as one of the most pimped villains, something I have been wondering for a while. I was thinking she might end up like Lady Tremaine considering she isn't magical and not particularly stylish/interesting design-wise.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:I can't stand the way they look! They don't even resemble the characters they're supposed to be based on! I mean, look at Ursula--She's not supposed to be an anorexic little twig, she's supposed to be a BBW! Gah. That's frustrating.
Well, in all fairness, they're supposed to be high-end fashion models that were only inspired by the villainesses and not actual representations of the characters. These dolls are more of collectors' items than playthings anyway.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Yuck! Ursula looks like Phyllis Diller!
The Queen of Hearts looks nothing like her!
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

While I love villains and all, I...

... Couldn't help but kinda sorta cringe at the hair for the Maleficent one... :|
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Cool idea. Gothel and Cruella are my favorites. Even though it looks nothing like her the Queen of Hearts looks cool. The Evil Queen looks ok. I HATE Maleficent's horn hair but other than that she is ok. Poor Ursula looks the worst. What did they do to her!?!

If I did by one it would probably be Gothel. I do like the journals I'll probably buy some of them.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

The official Disney Store blog posted an update about the collection today:
http://blog.disneystore.com/blog/2012/0 ... ement.html
It says:
To our valued Guests,

Limited to just 13,000 of each doll worldwide, the Disney Villains Designer Collection will be released one per week, in stores on Monday beginning September 10 and online on Tuesdays beginning September 11.

Because we anticipate a devilishly high demand for the Disney Villains Designer Collection dolls, each participating Disney Store location will select Guests at random who will be able to purchase a doll.
If you click the above link, there is also a document posted that explains what is meant by "select guests at random who will be able to purchase a doll." The document also lists the stores that will receive dolls. Personally, I think the whole "chosen at random" thing is unfair. I will try my best to get Ursula, though.
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

AlasmineLover:) wrote:The official Disney Store blog posted an update about the collection today:
http://blog.disneystore.com/blog/2012/0 ... ement.html
It says:
To our valued Guests,

Limited to just 13,000 of each doll worldwide, the Disney Villains Designer Collection will be released one per week, in stores on Monday beginning September 10 and online on Tuesdays beginning September 11.

Because we anticipate a devilishly high demand for the Disney Villains Designer Collection dolls, each participating Disney Store location will select Guests at random who will be able to purchase a doll.
If you click the above link, there is also a document posted that explains what is meant by "select guests at random who will be able to purchase a doll." The document also lists the stores that will receive dolls. Personally, I think the whole "chosen at random" thing is unfair. I will try my best to get Ursula, though.
While I have no plans on purchasing them, I agree. I do not agree with the whole "chosen at random" thing!
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Well, they are also available online, so I see no problem. You just have to be quick.
AlasmineLover:)

Post by AlasmineLover:) »

Does anyone know which timezone is used for the online availability? I was on at midnight (Eastern Standard Time) last night and the set of 6 wasn't up, but then I went back on at noon and they were sold out. Do they put the dolls up at midnight Pacific time then?
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

I didn't realise they did a designer Disney Princess collection too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68105287@N03/6314192884/

I'd really like the lithographs of the Disney Villains (and the Princess collection would be nice too). As for the dolls, I'd only get the Cruella one if any but I think you can only buy all 6 off of the UK website, it would be good if they had them as individual options too.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

WOOF! I'm a Disney doll collector and have no interest in purchasing any of the designer dolls. I'd rather spend my money on quality Disney dolls that actually LOOK like the characters they are based on.

Though, maybe if they do a designer prince series.... :lol