The Disney Movie Rewards Discussion & Info Thread Vol. 3

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

buffalobill wrote:I thought for sure this would be the first Marvel movie you could get DMR points with (Avengers). Just checked the ticket page for the first time & it's not listed. Any idea what gives? This IS a Disney (Buena Vista) movie, right?
Yeah I expected that too but, you know, they don't let Touchstone movies or anything like that and it seems they are treating Marvel sort of like that in some cases and Disney in others. :/

-Skyler
cityguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cityguy »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:Yeah I expected that too but, you know, they don't let Touchstone movies or anything like that and it seems they are treating Marvel sort of like that in some cases and Disney in others. :/
Agreed, although the bigger factor here may be the fact that Paramount's logo still appears on the movie, trailers, and promotional material (as it will on Iron Man 3 next). That was part of the deal Paramount got when it sold its rights to those two movies when Disney bought Marvel... and let's face it, the movie has way more adult cred without the Disney castle appearing before the credits, lol! I'm sure the Disney logo and the DMR points will take effect on the sequel, though.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I'm not part of the fan base for the Marvel movies, and I really don't see them fitting in with the Disney name or brand. I understand the business concept of Disney purchasing Marvel, but I see it as another brand much like Touchstone and Miramax are/were brands started by or owned by Disney. I foresee Marvel continuing to successfully make money for the Walt Disney Company but not as a division branded with the Disney name (other than the fine print at the end of the movie that says "Distributed by Walt Disney Motion Pictures" much like Touchstone movies do).

I can see the Marvel characters appearing at parks but more in the way Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters appear, in limited ways, not overwhelming, and not taking away from the overall "Disney" atmosphere.
cityguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cityguy »

Yeah, seeing Disney's "3D castle with fireworks" logo followed by Marvel's "flipping comic book pages" logo would be completely jarring. Marvel Studios will probably get the sole credits in the opening titles from now on, sans big studio logo -- at least for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk. I assume Spidey and the X-Men are still glued to Sony and Fox, so we'll continue to see their familiar logos with the new movies for a long time yet.

Don't Marvel characters like Hulk and Spidey already appear at Universal Studios? Not sure if that changed when Disney bought out Marvel, or if the licensing for the theme parks is handled differently.
gardener14 wrote:I'm not part of the fan base for the Marvel movies, and I really don't see them fitting in with the Disney name or brand. I understand the business concept of Disney purchasing Marvel, but I see it as another brand much like Touchstone and Miramax are/were brands started by or owned by Disney. I foresee Marvel continuing to successfully make money for the Walt Disney Company but not as a division branded with the Disney name (other than the fine print at the end of the movie that says "Distributed by Walt Disney Motion Pictures" much like Touchstone movies do).

I can see the Marvel characters appearing at parks but more in the way Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters appear, in limited ways, not overwhelming, and not taking away from the overall "Disney" atmosphere.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

cityguy wrote:Yeah, seeing Disney's "3D castle with fireworks" logo followed by Marvel's "flipping comic book pages" logo would be completely jarring. Marvel Studios will probably get the sole credits in the opening titles from now on, sans big studio logo -- at least for Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk. I assume Spidey and the X-Men are still glued to Sony and Fox, so we'll continue to see their familiar logos with the new movies for a long time yet.

Don't Marvel characters like Hulk and Spidey already appear at Universal Studios? Not sure if that changed when Disney bought out Marvel, or if the licensing for the theme parks is handled differently.
gardener14 wrote:I'm not part of the fan base for the Marvel movies, and I really don't see them fitting in with the Disney name or brand. I understand the business concept of Disney purchasing Marvel, but I see it as another brand much like Touchstone and Miramax are/were brands started by or owned by Disney. I foresee Marvel continuing to successfully make money for the Walt Disney Company but not as a division branded with the Disney name (other than the fine print at the end of the movie that says "Distributed by Walt Disney Motion Pictures" much like Touchstone movies do).

Yes, Universal Studios have East Coast theme park rights to those characters. They still have to pay Marvel/Disney royalties to use them but they have the rights as long as they want them.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Double points for the 3 new Ghibli blu rays. I put the Nausicaa in too hoping that maybe it would double but just got the standard 125. Nice point day though (3 250 pointers & a 125). :D
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Disney Movie Rewards

Post by Mouseketodd »

Those are my thoughts, too. The franchise is okay, but certainly doesn't say "Disney." It was smart to purchase the rights, but I'd prefer only to spot them at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Doctor Syn

Post by Doctor Syn »

On Twitter, Disney Movie Rewards is giving away 50 John Carter Blurays ! https://twitter.com/disney_dmr

Rules
http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/co ... itions.pdf
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Thank you! :)
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I cam't find the May free 5 points code in my newsletter...did they forget it or am I missing something?

And if they are giving away that many John Carter Blu Rays....well....it bombed (did horribly) at the Box Office...
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I hope it has bonus features. I joined twitter for this.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

New WDCC sculpture added. Fantasia Signature Series Mickey & Yen Sid. First new one in a while. Unfortunately a little out of my point range @ 14,500. It IS a beauty but I'm only about 11,000 points short. :(
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
KACENAID
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KACENAID »

jediliz wrote:I cam't find the May free 5 points code in my newsletter...did they forget it or am I missing something?
The codes for May's newsletter are unique and vary per person (up to 10 points). The May newsletter points are, however, only available this time around in the version sent by e-mail. They do not appear in the online version.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

buffalobill wrote:New WDCC sculpture added. Fantasia Signature Series Mickey & Yen Sid. First new one in a while. Unfortunately a little out of my point range @ 14,500. It IS a beauty but I'm only about 11,000 points short. :(
Aww, come one. 14,500 points?! There is no way in the world I can rack up that many points. It looks amazing, though.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

KACENAID wrote:
jediliz wrote:I cam't find the May free 5 points code in my newsletter...did they forget it or am I missing something?
The codes for May's newsletter are unique and vary per person (up to 10 points). The May newsletter points are, however, only available this time around in the version sent by e-mail. They do not appear in the online version.
I asked on the facebook page and someone (not penny) told me to check the email....the account mail box doesn't have the link
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
cityguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by cityguy »

buffalobill wrote:New WDCC sculpture added. Fantasia Signature Series Mickey & Yen Sid. First new one in a while. Unfortunately a little out of my point range @ 14,500. It IS a beauty but I'm only about 11,000 points short. :(
Not quite new -- it's been on DMR before, and for the same price then I think. It sold out pretty quickly the first time, so they may have only obtained/released a few and now found a few more to put up.

It's expensive but not out of line with previous WDCCs of that quality (e.g. 11,000 for the big Mulan & Khan one, or 9,500 for the Jessie & Bullseye on record player set).

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/re ... ensid-6505
DrnknMstr2

Post by DrnknMstr2 »

From Bluray.com
U13PEKSZZD
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

DrnknMstr2 wrote:From Bluray.com
U13PEKSZZD
It's for 25 points.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Thanks for the code! :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Time for a new thread. Whoever makes the new thread, please be sure to provide a link back to this one.