Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Big Hero 6

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:Sometime around this point in the schedule, Don Hall's super secret project may have been greenlit and far enough down the line to be penciled in for a 2015/2016 release. That project, once announced will generate a lot of buzz in certain geek communities, as it's going to surprise a lot of people for what it is and what it's not. But it's in the very early embryonic stage and it depends on how well the project is received upon the presentation that is being prepared for John and Ed.
Floyd Norman wrote:I spent an hour at Disney talking story with Don Hall a few weeks ago. He's quite a remarkable guy and good things are on the way.

What those things are...you'll have to wait and see.
Anonymous wrote:Don Hall has a super secret project? Emphasis on words there?
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -road.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I wonder if they could be the first stop-motion animated feature in the canon. That's certainly something that would generate plenty of discussion.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

If they made a stop-motion animated feature part of the canon, it would beg the question why James and the Giant Peach was not part of the canon.

And, it's not like they could go back and sneak it in like they did with Dinosaur, now that they've completely branded Tangled as the 50th animated feature.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

RyGuy wrote:If they made a stop-motion animated feature part of the canon, it would beg the question why James and the Giant Peach was not part of the canon.

And, it's not like they could go back and sneak it in like they did with Dinosaur, now that they've completely branded Tangled as the 50th animated feature.
James and the Giant Peach (I almost typed People instead of Peach :oops: )
had live action characters in it...the aunts...the arrival at new york....so if there would be a stop motion film that would fit in the cannon under that I would think it should be The Nightmare Before Christmas in my opinion

There are two movies that I could see in the Cannon if they pulled some sort Dinosaur trick would be Jim Carrey in A Christmas Carol...it's based on a classic book and it's more truthful to the book than a lot of the films have done a hundred times over....The Other one would be Gnomeo and Juliet to the ....

But if they Put Mars Needs Moms in the canon....I think i'll just drop something like Nostalgia Critic does when there's a stupid scene in a movie he's reviewing....

.For everyone's sanity reasoning I won't post a Nostalgia Critic Clip :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I think Disney overdid it with the 50th branding of Tangled, preventing any future retconning of films into the canon.

I mean, sure - earlier films had the numbers listed on the VHS/DVD cases, but this time they threw it into the trailer, even!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

RyGuy wrote:If they made a stop-motion animated feature part of the canon, it would beg the question why James and the Giant Peach was not part of the canon.
James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas weren't produced in-house by the feature animation department. Some of the feature animation executives and personel did give some input, but they were primarily produced by Skellington Productions (a company created especially to make those films). Counting it as part of the canon would almost be like including Toy Story when it was produced by Pixar.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Wonderlicious wrote:James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare Before Christmas weren't produced in-house by the feature animation department. Some of the feature animation executives and personel did give some input, but they were primarily produced by Skellington Productions (a company created especially to make those films). Counting it as part of the canon would almost be like including Toy Story when it was produced by Pixar.
Yeah, I was just going to say, to be part of the WDAS canon, the film would have to have been created in-house by WDAS! :lol: It's not just a compilation list of a bunch of noteworthy films or something...
disneyboy20022 wrote:James and the Giant Peach (I almost typed People instead of Peach )
had live action characters in it...the aunts...the arrival at new york....so if there would be a stop motion film that would fit in the cannon under that I would think it should be The Nightmare Before Christmas in my opinion
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 both had live-action elements, and they are in the canon. :?

Back to the subject at hand; I think it would be cool to have a stop-motion film created by WDAS. After all, animation comes in many forms, and I say the more the merrier. WDAS could easily join the ranks of Rankin-Bass and Aardman in terms of their well-known applications of stop-motion animation.

Also, I know a lot of people dislike the fact that Dinosaur was "shoe-horned" into the list, but the fact of the matter is that it was produced by WDAS, so it belongs on the list. Now that there are a few more CGI films included in the canon, at least it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like it may once have.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

He has his very own panel at Comic-Con this year. Perhaps he'll mention something about it.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Wondy, thanks for the info about Skellington Productions. I never knew that (though I didn't pay that close of attention).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Anonymous #1 wrote:I'm intrigued about the Don Hall project. There's no chance in it being hand-drawn, right?
Anonymous #2 wrote:No, it's CG.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-diz.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Anonymous #1 wrote:What's that project that Don Hall is working on? I'm hearing some interesting rumors.
Anonymous #2 wrote:Trust me, they aren't going to reveal projects like the one Don Hall is working on at the D23 Expo. It's too early in development, but it is far different from what Disney Animation has done in the past. Very promising for the future of the Hat Building.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... lding.html
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Is this REALLY gonna be CG?! T_T
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Neal wrote:I think Disney overdid it with the 50th branding of Tangled, preventing any future retconning of films into the canon.

I mean, sure - earlier films had the numbers listed on the VHS/DVD cases, but this time they threw it into the trailer, even!
The branded the film itself as the 50th in the cannon. THAT, I have never seen before.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:But the most interesting ones are yet to come from the trailers of what Dean Wellins and Don Hall have planned. By this time WDAS will have likely rebuilt a reputation that war torn down over the late 90's/early 2000's.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2011/08/wo ... films.html
Honor Hunter wrote:The projects competing for 2014/2015 are the uber-secret film from Don Hall, which will be a marvelously unexpected project if it ever gets the green light, and Nathan Greno and Byron Howard's films which are deep in development.
Anonymous #1 wrote:"a marvelously unexpected project"

Nice metaphor, Honor. I think I know what you're hinting at.
Anonymous #2 wrote:Honor, you are spot on with your teasing of Don's project. I just hope people realize that it is "in development" which means they are trying to make the story work. It's not yet been animated. But if John likes the take on it, then it could see the light of day.

And for those that keep harping on this? Disney bought 5000+ characters, why do you think it's one of the top 20 or 30?

Hmmmm?
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So a CG-animated Marvel film...
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Oh God... This may give Disney Duster a stroke!
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

If that really is being developed, the only way I could see that working would be if they were working with marvel artists to create a brand new superhero that would be under both the Marvel and Disney labels. This way Disney is creating new characters that could fit in the family model that is expected, leaving Disney fans happy, and established Matvel characters aren't being forced into the Disney mold, leaving Marvel fans happy. Everybody benefits.

Another thought that occurred... The Avengers starring Mickey and the Gang? I highly highly doubt it, but it's a thought.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part but I'll believe it when I see it. Marvel are in the process of adapting all of their major comics to films; Spiderman and X-Men have already been rebooted and there'll be more films in those series to come not to mention another Wolverine film, The Avengers is being released soon, there are already sequels imminent for Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, films based on Black Widow and Hawkeye are in the works, Joe Wright is working on a script for Ant-Man...I'm not a comic book expert but how many other major Marvel comics are there to be adapted into an animated film? I know Iger has his heart set on bringing Marvel to the theme parks but personally I wouldn't like a Marvel film released under the WDAS banner and I hope it doesn't happen. That being said, after the Avatar deal I suppose anything is possible at Disney these days.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I just don't believe that this would be a marvel super-hero animated feature. First of all, making any of the characters animated would kind of block the marvel studios from using them in their live-action films. I also think that public interest more so lies in live-action super hero films than they do animated. Secondly, all of the most popular characters are spoken for in recent live-action films.

I mean, is there anything else that could have been referenced?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: You guys are partnering now with Disney/Pixar. Is there a desire on your end to work with Pixar to make, you know, a movie together?

Kevin Feige: Well, I think the notion of an animated movie based off of a Marvel property is a no-brainer and it’s something that we’ve been talking about. You know, Lasseter is now both Pixar and Walt Disney animation. So, you know, I don’t where, whatever project would fall where necessarily. And frankly, Pixar is all about original properties and original ideas, but an animated version of one of our characters, one of our 8,000-plus characters would seem to be something that could happen at some point.
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/film-set-inter ... vin-feige/
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.