Rank John Musker & Ron Clements' Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Rank John Musker & Ron Clements' Films

Post by pap64 »

Inspired by the favorite Glen Keane character thread, I decided to do a favorite John Musker and Ron Clements film thread discussing the movies they have directed and which one is our personal favorite.

The movies they have directed are as follows:
1986 The Great Mouse Detective
1989 The Little Mermaid
1992 Aladdin
1997 Hercules
2002 Treasure Planet
2009 The Princess and the Frog

My favorite movie is definitely Aladdin. The art style is truly wonderful, the characters are great, the music is beyond fantastic and I really like the pace and humor of the story. It actually feels very timeless despite some pop cultural references (something you can't say about Shrek for example).

Hercules would have to be a close second. Yeah, that sounds insane considering that everyone has declared it the WORST Disney movie ever made (The Nostalgia Critic said it was the movie that killed people's interest in Disney movies, while Nostalgia Chick made a drinking game out of its many flaws). It's a movie I acknowledge has serious flaws in terms of story and presentation, but it is so captivating and energetic I can forgive it because what it does well it does it really, really well. The Gospel music, which has criticized as being out of place, is fantastic and I love it.

Finally, it is a tie between Princess and the Frog and The Little Mermaid. Both are movies that I really enjoy yet at the same time have issues with (ironic considering that Hercules has more issues and I love it more than these two). Much like Hercules when they have things that work, it really, really works to their advantage. I really like the classic setting of Princess and the Frog and Ariel truly is an infectious character and the music in that is really good. Still, I think Disney has done much better after Mermaid and before Princess so they tend to not stick to me as hard as the other movies.

So, what is your Ron Clements and John Musker movie?
ImageImageImageImage

TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I got to say Aladdin and The Princess & the Frog.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

This is how I'd rank them from favorite to least favorite:

1. The Little Mermaid
2. Aladdin
3. Treasure Planet
4. Hercules
5. The Princess and the Frog
6. The Great Mouse Detective

TLM is without a doubt my favorite Ron/John film. It has everything and I couldn't ask for a more wonderful film; sure, it may have some off model characters once in awhile and some weird bumps along the road, but the songs/score are amazing and the characters themselves are memorable. Sadly, I've only seen TGMD once, so I had to put it last because I can barely remember it; it definitely deserves a rewatch, though.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Hercules
4. Treasure Planet
6. The Great Mouse Detective
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

1. The Little Mermaid
2. Aladdin
3. The Princess and the Frog
4. The Great Mouse Detective

Haven't seen Treasure Planet yet :?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Aladdin And Mermaid. No others matter to me.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The only ones of these that aren’t very close to my heart are Aladdin and TGMD, and even those two have a lot going for them.

1. The Little Mermaid
2. Hercules

My two favorite Disney films in general.

4. Treasure Planet
5. The Great Mouse Detective
6. Aladdin

I’m glad they’re making another film, just because I’ve enjoyed all of their work so far. They really have a touch at making dynamic characters that you root for, imo, whether they're protagonists or antagonists. Amazing.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Mermaid first.

Aladdin second.

Detective third.

Though I still say Detective is slightly superior to Aladdin.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

That's an obvious question. I love all of the films that Ron Clements and John Musker made.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

1. The Great Mouse Detective (obviously)
2. The Little Mermaid
3. Treasure Planet
4. Aladdin
6. Hercules

I don't think any of them are really "bad" though.
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. The Great Mouse Detective
4. Hercules
6. Treasure Planet
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

1. 1992 Aladdin
2. 1989 The Little Mermaid
3. 1997 Hercules
4. 2002 Treasure Planet
5. 2009 The Princess and the Frog
6. 1986 The Great Mouse Detective
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Prince Edward wrote:1. 1992 Aladdin
2. 1989 The Little Mermaid
3. 1997 Hercules
4. 2002 Treasure Planet
5. 2009 The Princess and the Frog
6. 1986 The Great Mouse Detective
We've ranked the movies exactly the same! :thumb:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Re: Favorite John Musker and Ron Clements Disney Movie

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

1. Aladdin

- I love everything about this movie. Like pap64 said, despite its pop culture references, it has a timeless quality about it, because it doesn't rely too much on pop culture for jokes and the gags can still be appreciated even if you don't know what it's referencing. The character designs and voice cast are superb, the animation vividly colourful, curvy and lurid, and the music...excluding The Little Mermaid and possibly Mary Poppins, it's the best musical Disney has ever done. Even the lesser known songs, like 'Arabian Nights' and 'One Jump Ahead', are exceptional. The melodies are bouncy and unforgettable, and the lyrics are full of really witty wordplay. Aladdin is the best Disney hero of all time, having some arrogance yet endearingly being uncertain and nervous when it comes to wooing Jasmine, and the supporting cast is wonderful too. Even the Magic Carpet, despite lacking a face and a voice, has a charming personality. That is the magic of animation.

2. The Great Mouse Detective

- Ridiculously underrated, this movie is a unique delight of a Disney Animated Classic. The villain has a real, understandable motivation, and the hero isn't without his flaws - he's rude, arrogant and self-obsessed. Yet he's also one of the most likable main characters of any DAC. Ratigan is a hilarious villain, and Vincent Price's delectable voice makes him one of Disney's finest antagonists.

3. The Little Mermaid

- What can I say that hasn't already been said? Great songs, great characters, fantastic villainess...and a heroine with depth. She doesn't just want to become human so she can be with Eric, but because she's intrigued and fascinated by the human world and feels restricted and alone under the sea. Pat Carroll practically steals the show as the conniving Ursula, and the animation is gorgeous.

4. Treasure Planet
5. Hercules
6. The Princess and the Frog

The last three films are all okay but they're certainly not on par with Musker and Clements' earlier, more memorable work. Nonetheless, all three have underrated protagonists: Jim Hawkins is a little cliche at times, but his backstory is something Disney has never done before and he is my favourite version of the character; Tiana isn't as compelling as the likes of Ariel and Rapunzel but is still likable, easy to root for and interesting; and Hercules has the unusual combination of having huge, bulging muscles, yet is very naive and innocent (he practically has the personality of a puppy).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid

5. Treasure Planet
6. Hercules

They've done three films I absolutely love and a really great one. Don't care for Treasure Planet and Hercules. I'm surprised they went from writing an interesting and likable protagonist like Aladdin to ones as dull as Hercules and Jim Hawkins (not offence to those who like them, but they're the main reasons that drag the two flicks down for me).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

It's The Great Mouse Detective for me. :)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

The Little Mermaid remains my favorite overall, but I have a special affection for Basil as well as his film. :D
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
5. Treasure Planet
6. Hercules
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

The Little Mermaid and The Princess and the Frog.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The first two films in my top 20 (see other thread) are both Clements-Musker films. Still, I feel they're a bit overrated. They've done two really great movies, but after that, never reached that level anymore. Hercules is a good enough film, but could've been much better, though the 'Zero to Hero' sequence is pure gold. The rest had much more potential than what they eventually turned it into. The Great Mouse Detective is also a good movie, but they needed Burny Mattinson and David Michener to accomplish that. Their other two movies are not very good at all.

So, my no. 1 pick is The Little Mermaid. Like TSOD said, there's nothing they could've done to make it even better. Well, that's not true, they could've fixed the off-modelness. That annoys me. But other than that, it's an engaging story; it has lively characters; a passionate leading lady; enjoyable music; a terrific villain; the best voice cast Disney ever had; and the right modern approach to a classic fairy tale.

Second comes Aladdin. I think Dr. F. already said everything I wanted to say. I don't think there's a single flaw in the movie; it may even be (one of the) most perfect films Disney has done in its long history. Pacing and timing is incredible; balance between humor, adventure and romance is perfect; and again, that voicecast is impeccable. Also kudos to Tim Rice for making his lyrics fit in so seamlessly with Ashman's.

So here's my ranking:

1. The Little Mermaid
2. Aladdin
3. The Great Mouse Detective
4. Hercules
6. Treasure Planet
Last edited by Goliath on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.