84th Academy Awards

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

84th Academy Awards

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

While it is a historic tradition for the Oscars to make idiotic choices when handing out their statuettes, I am interested by their upcoming ceremony for the films of 2011. It will take place on 24th February and will be hosted by Billy Crystal. For the various awards categories, who or what do you think will win, and who or what do you hope wins?

Even though the official nominations have yet to be announced, The Artist is doubtlessly going to win Best Picture, but I'd prefer Hugo to win.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Hugo and The Artist are my top two films of the year (respectively) so I would be happy if either one won. I'd prefer Hugo to win either Best Picture or Best Director though as it's chances in the other major categories (acting) are slim while Jean Dujardin is deservedly going to win Best Actor. I hope that Gary Oldman gets a nomination as he's been unfairly snubbed in the past.

Best Actress is the one most difficult to call this year as the performance many were expecting to win (Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady) comes in a mediocre (if not just plain bad) film.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Last year it seemed like, for the most part, everything I thought was going to win did. And I hated that.

This year seems to be more interesting, and I agree that Best Actress seems to be the most fun to watch. I haven't seen The Iron Lady yet, but I honestly doubt Meryl will win. The film has very lukeworm, almost negative, reviews and I don't see how this performance is any different from the other characters she's recently played (Julia Child?). My hopes for potential wins are Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn, Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Should be an entertaining race, either way! (Well, if George Clooney wins nothing.)
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Anna Paquin should win for Margaret but thanks to the limited release it's unlikely she'll even get a nomination.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, this year is unpredictable which is great. All of the acting categories are up in the air and even Animated Feature has no clear frontrunner. Tintin or Rango or Arthur could take that one. Maybe even Pooh or Panda can sneak in and win.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:All of the acting categories are up in the air and even Animated Feature has no clear frontrunner. Tintin or Rango or Arthur could take that one. Maybe even Pooh or Panda can sneak in and win.
Yes, it has. It's Rango. It has won almost every critics award so far.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I believe Tintin has won a couple and I recall Arthur Christmas winning one. I don't think Rango is quite the shoe-in that, say, some of the Pixars are. Spielberg's name alone could help Tintin will favour with the Academy and I think Tintin is more Academy friendly. Rango is definitely in the lead, but I wouldn't count the reporter or Santa just yet.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Yay! Hugo got the most nominations! The Tree of Life got nominations! Gary Oldman got a nomination!

I'm pretty pleased with the Oscar nominations. There are a couple of things that arguably shouldn't be there (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...but no cigar) but Hugo and The Artist were my top 2 of the year.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Am I the only one who thinks this year's a dud? I'm pretty underwhelmed and disappointed with the nominations overall across the board. I didn't realize how bad 2011 was film-wise generally speaking (of course some laughable nominations from that pool didn't help).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Artist, Midnight in Paris, Hugo, War Horse and Moneyball are some of my favourite films of the year, so I have little problem with this year's nominations. :)
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'd say that this year has been a very strong year for cinema, especially English-language cinema.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So who's going to join me here tonight to have a live discussion of the Oscars? :D
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I think either Kung Fu Panda 2 or Puss In Boots is going to win for Best Animated Feature.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'd actually tip Rango. It also fits neatly into the nostalgia theme.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I think "The Artist" is definitely the movie of year, if not the decade. If you haven't seen it, you need to do so.

"Hugo" is an amazing film and because it is a Martin Scorcese picture it stands a pretty good chance.

If "The Help" walks away with Best Actress for Viola Davis, I would be a happy camper. That movie should have a lot more nominations than it does.

I would like to see Nick Nolte win the award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his role in "Warrior". He was incredible in that film.

As for the Best Animated Feature I am leaning to "Rango", but wouldn't be disappointed if "Kung Fu Panda 2" wins this.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

My 2 cents on the Artist: It has hardly played here on any screens. I would like to see it but it seems I can't find it listed anywhere. A shoe-in for best picture? Really? Meanwhile Hugo is still playing.

I want Hugo to win best picture. A very unique movie.

All the other categories are kinda bland this year. Although I do want fellow Canuck Christopher Plummer to win.
Sorcerer Mickey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sorcerer Mickey »

Boy, Dreamworks just can't get a break right now. Two movies nominated, not a single Disney/Pixar movie that was nominated, and they STILL have trouble winning Best Animated Feature, this time losing to Rango.
Formerly known as Musketeer2004

The 1,000th Ultimate Disney member.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Pretty fun Oscars, I think.

Billy Crystal was great. I've always wanted to see a Crystal telecast and I'm glad I got the opportunity to this year.

The only surprise, for me, was Meryl Streep taking Best Actress. I knew the category was kind of messy this year (I wanted Glenn Close, but I had a sadistic wish that Rooney Mara would get the Marisa Tomei treatment), but between Streep and Davis, I expected the weights would tip in Davis' favor.

Also, did anyone see The Dictator's prank on Ryan Seacrest? Pretty funny...
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Congrats Christopher Plummer!!!!!! So happy!!

I knew it would be between Streep and Davis. I'm actually shocked it went to Streep, but not shocked at the same time!

I really need to see The Artist!!

Idk, Billy does nothing for me to be perfectly honest.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

I really wanted Viola Davis to win, but I was happy seeing Meryl win!

I was VERY disappointed however that Paradise Lost 3 lost to a documentary about football. The Paradise Lost films are, in my opinion, MUCH more important than a film about football...
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel