Mary Blair's 100th birthday

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MJW
Special Edition

Mary Blair's 100th birthday

Post by MJW »

In honor of what would have been Mary Blair's 100th birthday today, Google is celebrating her artwork and unique style with a special logo on their search page:

I thought this pretty cool, and hopefully will spark interest in the artist from those who may have never heard of her, but have nonetheless seen her work in Disney films.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I've always loved Mary Blair's artwork; it's so imaginative and colorful and simply beautiful. I've wanted to read Canemaker's he Art and Flair of Mary Blair, but I have yet to find it (it's not at my public library, either). At least I can see some of her concept work on the DVDs of the films she worked on at Disney.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Google goes from doing everything wrong to doing everything right. Interesting...
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

pinkrenata wrote:Google goes from doing everything wrong to doing everything right. Interesting...
Wow, you're right, I didn't even think about all the issues the site had with Google. :oops:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

pinkrenata wrote:Google goes from doing everything wrong to doing everything right. Interesting...
Who said anything like that at? Nobody said anything coming even remotely close to that at all. Do you have a stock of words you're trying to get rid off, since you continue to put them in other people's mouths?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Goliath wrote:
Who said anything like that at? Nobody said anything coming even remotely close to that at all. Do you have a stock of words you're trying to get rid off, since you continue to put them in other people's mouths?
This was my own personal response, actually. Not really sure why you took it as anything but.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I love how imaginative Mary's artwork was :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I see what you mean. :P

I'm glad they've celebrated Mary Blair, since she deserves it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I'm glad they've celebrated Mary Blair, since she deserves it.
I fully agree! :D She was one of the most important behind the scene forces at the Disney Studios back in the day. Walt was a genius to see her genius and put it to use.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Pleasant surprise from Google to acknowledge an artist known primarily in the Disney community. Wonder if this will get a few who were curious enough to learn more about Mary Blair and her works.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

I thought it was a really beautiful tribute yesterday. I've always loved Mary's work (she's one of my favorite Disney artists with Rolly Crump.) I think my favorite piece that she's done was a promo collage she did for Sleeping Beauty. I love how it seems to blend both her and Eyvind Earle's styles together.

-Tim
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Love love LOVE Mary Blair's work. So great to see them pay tribute.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

It's funny, in the Google doodle, she looks like Disney's Cinderella, and that's one of the films she worked so much on.