Your Top Non-Disney Animated Films

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Your Top Non-Disney Animated Films

Post by singerguy04 »

I'm almost positive that this topic has to exist already, but I couldn't find one... I'm sure that if there is one someone will find it, lol. I just wanted to talk about this topic, because there are tons of great animated films that are non-disney that we don't spend a lot of time recognizing!

Here are my personal top 10 non-disney animated films.

1- The Prince of Egypt
2- The Land Before Time
3- An American Tail
4- Iron Giant
5- Anastasia
6- Chicken Run
7- How to Train Your Dragon
8- Balto
9- Shrek 2
10- Shrek

Some Honorable Mention for me are...

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story
Thumbelina
Cats Don't Dance
The Brave Little Toaster
The Road to El Dorado
The Pagemaster
An American Tale: Fievel Goes West

So, what are some of your favorites?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Nice idea for a thread. Time to give some love to the Non-Disney animated films. Here are my Top Ten in no particular order:

Iron Giant
An American Tale
Fievel Goes West
The Secret of NIMH
Anastasia
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
How To Train Your Dragon
Magamind
Despicable Me
We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story

All the rest go into the Honorable Mention category, but those 10 above don't get to far from the DVD player.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Can my Top 10 and Honorable Mention lists have films that originate in Russia, Japan, etc.? All the films listed so far seem to originate in USA.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Re: Your Top Non-Disney Animated Films

Post by littlefuzzy »

singerguy04 wrote:I'm almost positive that this topic has to exist already, but I couldn't find one... I'm sure that if there is one someone will find it, lol.
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27104
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Sky Syndrome wrote:Can my Top 10 and Honorable Mention lists have films that originate in Russia, Japan, etc.? All the films listed so far seem to originate in USA.
Of course!!! I didn't name any foreign films because I haven't seen very many that top those other personal fav's of mine!

@ littlefuzzy - I figured it was somewhere! I guess this topic should be merged with the older one then! Sorry!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

My Top 10:

1. Cats Don't Dance
2. Shrek
3. Shrek 2
4. The Thief and The Cobbler
5. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit
6. Arthur Christmas
7. Bee Movie
8. The Simpsons Movie
9. Rango
10. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

In no order:

Chicken Run
Grave of the Fireflies
How to Train Your Dragon
The Iron Giant
Kung Fu Panda
Shrek
The Simpsons Movie
Snoopy Come Home
South Park Bigger Longer & Uncut
Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest
2. Kiki’s Delivery Service
3. The Land Before Time
4. Spirited Away
5. Cats Don’t Dance
6. Kung Fu Panda
7. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
8. The Prince of Egypt
9. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
10. Balto

Mentions: Thumbelina{/i], Howl’s Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, The Thief and the Cobbler, How to Train Your Dragon, The Swan Princess
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Grave of the Fireflies
A film that single-handedly redefined the way I thought about animation, Isao Takahata's powerful portrait of the effect that war has on two innocent children is one of the greatest anti-war statements in cinema and the most upsetting film of all time.

Spirited Away
Hayao Miyazaki has long been regarded as the Walt Disney of Japanese animation but he (arguably) kept the best until later in his illustrious career. Winner of Best Animated Feature at the Oscars and still the highest grossing film of all time at the Japanese box office, Spirited Away follows a young girl called Chihiro as she strays into a surreal, fantastical world. Reminiscent of a Lynchian combination of The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland, Miyazaki's masterpiece is a magical look at growing up.

5 centimetres per second
Miyazaki may be the Japanese Walt Disney but Makoto Shinkai, a "new kid on the block" has no Western equivalent. 5 Centimeters Per Second follows young Takaki and his relationships in a heartbreaking, poetic tale that plays out with stunning animation.

How to Train Your Dragon
One of the finest animated movies of recent years, How to Train Your Dragon is Dreamworks' greatest achievement. The animation is stunning, the script is solid and contains humour that isn't inundated with pop culture references and you really connect with the characters. Tender and beautiful, the film contains moments of pure transcendence.

AKIRA
This fast-paced sci-fi epic is a landmark in the history of anime. With jaw-dropping animation and strong messages regarding corruption and will to power, Ōtomo's adaptation of his own manga tome is a highlight in animation.

Others: The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Last edited by yamiiguy on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

1. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

The movie based on my favourite television satire is just as good as I hoped it would be. The animation is deliberately awful, the jokes grotesque yet inventive and phenomenally amusing, and the songs (which frequently parody Alan Menken's Disney songs) are surprisingly memorable. Although the protagonists are assholes, particularly Cartman, they're unusually endearing in some ways, and the plot is comedy gold.

2. Coraline

Much better than both The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride, Henry Selick's superb adaptation of Neil Gaiman's chilling tale is a frightening feast of horrific images for children. The voice cast is enjoyable and the character designs appropriately unsettling, and the final sequences in the Other World are brilliantly animated and directed.

3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Despite it being an animated film based on a cartoon series, this is without question one of the finest superhero movies ever made. It's not as dark as the Tim Burton films, but it still has atmosphere and character depth. Mark Hammill steals the show as a the gleefully sadistic Joker, and the portrayal of Batman's origin is sublime.

4. Spirited Away

This film is one of the most immensely creative films I've ever seen. The characterisation, the designs, the story...it's all wonderfully imaginative. It also has one of the best English dubs ever done, and the morality is not black-and-white, but grey - the antagonist is not inherently evil, and the vivid colours and eye-popping shapes and creatures make it a very breathtaking movie.

5. The Iron Giant

Although it's not on par with his subsequent work at Pixar, Brad Bird's sweet tale of friendship has nostalgia and witty humour aplenty. I need to watch it again soon.

6. Howl's Moving Castle

The story and characters aren't as good as those in Spirited Away, this Miyazaki feature has arguably superior animation to it, and the designs are unequivocally brilliant. The titular castle, cobbled together out of ships and scrap metal, is visually unforgettable, the characters interesting and many sequences are dazzling, yet it does have flaws.

7. My Neighbour Totoro

I've seen it only once some time ago, yet I can still fondly recall the song 'Totoro' (excellently parodied in South Park) and the wholesome charm of the story and characters. It has a quaint innocent that is normally not found in modern films, and as usual Miyazaki's designs are great.

8. Ferngully: The Last Rainforest

It's a somewhat dull, cliche film, but parts are very good and it is a guilty pleasure. Tim Curry oozes delightful menace as Hexxus and the song when one of the rainforest animals tries to eat Zac is unnecessary yet very entertaining, with some very strange sexual undertones.

I'll finish this list later.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

The Iron Giant

I know, I know, cliche answer. Still, it's hard to find a non-Disney/Pixar animated movie that is as polished and well presented as The Iron Giant. To me, this is how modern animated films should be treated. It has a multi layered story that can be enjoyed by anyone. It has the cute robot/boy relationship for the kids to enjoy while the political and social drama exists for the adults. It isn't condescending but it actually takes itself seriously as a story driven film.

Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2

Yeah, it is weird that I am putting a movie about a lazy panda that becomes a warrior on nearly the same pedestal as The Iron Giant. But as much as I love the Disney movies, I love the fact that I can actually relate to Po. His enthusiasm to do the right thing, his passion towards Kung Fu, his insecurities and willingness to learn mirror my own personality. The sequel is easily the best of the two thanks to its great mix of action and a character driven narrative. To this day it is the only movie that nearly made me jump out of my seat in the theater and cheer for the ending. It was that good.

My Neighbor Totoro

My all-time favorite Ghibli movie and my all-time Anime film period. I saw it at an early age, way before I even knew what Ghibli was and have been in love with it since. I just love the fact that unlike the other Ghibli/Miyazaki movies that are so loaded with social, political and environmental messages it loses some charm along the way, Totoro just focuses on the life of this Japanese family and the magical creatures they encounter. It is very whimsical and enchanting. Recently I read an article about how the movie is really based on a murder story. That offended me because Miyazaki has expressed time and time again that this was inspired by his own childhood, right down to his mother being sick. It is a very personal film to him so saying that it is really a subtle story of murder is just ridiculous. Totoro is a magical slice of life movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Prince of Egypt

WOW! Talk about a movie to kick start your animation studio! While at times it does feel pretentious due to Katzenberg's desire to stay away from Disney as much as possible, it was the movie that inspired me to seek out more of the Moses story, making it my favorite Bible story ever. The drama is spot on and the movie just feels grand and epic. The music in particular is some of the best ever produced by the studio.

How to Train your Dragon

Yes, another DreamWorks effort, but one I really, really like. I love the universe, the dragons, the character and the music. It is a basic boy meets exotic pet story but one that does it very well! It was one of the first Blu Ray movies I owned and I love how it looks. Fantastic movie overall.
ImageImageImageImage

Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I have a few:

My Neighbour Totoro - So innocent and charming. I haven't seen any other Studio Ghibli films yet, but I'm very keen to. :wink:

Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers - I love it's warm (and also quite silly) charm.

Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave - The same can be said for this one.

The Iron Giant - Not quite up to Pixar standards, but still very powerful.

Chicken Run - This is on of my favorite films, regardless of medium. It's a fun and touching adventure. :D

Coraline - Creepy, but also enchanting. It's great to see a family film that doesn't treat kids like saps. Image

How To Train Your Dragon - Wonderful. With the arguable exception of Chicken Run, this is the only Dreamworks film (of the ones I have seen) to really be anything special to me.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

singerguy04 wrote:I figured it was somewhere! I guess this topic should be merged with the older one then! Sorry!
Unfortunately, due to the forum issues I don't think that merging topics is currently feasible. But since this topic now links to the other I don't think it should be a problem. If you find it a concern and think this should be locked in favor of the other thread you can always contact one of the mods. :)
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

good idea for a thread!

howls moving castle... possibly my all time favourite film.
spirit stallion of the cimarron
prince of egypt
whisper of the heart
how to train your dragon
despicable me
anastasia
ponyo

for live action
dirty dancing, my second favourite film.
ghost
grease
big kid at heart
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Here's my top 10 non-disney animated films.

1- The Prince of Egypt
2- The Land Before Time
3- An American Tail
4- The Simpsons Movie
5- Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
6- The Dragon That Wasn't (Or was he?)
7- Shrek 2
8- Rango
9- The Adventures Of Tin Tin
10- The Smurfs
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

I have too many in mind so I will split it into two groups:

Western Animation:
1. The Iron Giant
2. The Prince of Egypt
3. Shrek 2
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. The Triplets of Belleville
6. Chicken Run
7. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8. Shrek
9. Anastasia
10. Megamind

Japanese Animation:
1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Millennium Actress
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below
6. 5 Centimetres per Second
7. The Castle of Cagliostro
8. Perfect Blue
9. Spirited Away
10. Castle in the Sky
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

My favourite ones have probably changed from the last thread (no particular order):

The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
The Girl That Leapt Through Time
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Laputa - Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
The Castle of Cagliostro
Rio
Robots
Ponyo
Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22
Ice Age Movies
Monsters vs Aliens
How to train your dragon

A Cat in Paris was quite good too, along with
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Entire Studio Ghibli Collection (Haven't seen Arrietty yet though)
Despicable Me
Bee movie
The Adventures of Tintin
Arthur Christmas
Summer Wars

Along with others I can not think of.

If this included TV series, then I would also add Kanon and a lot of other anime.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

1. The Last Unicorn
2. The Prince of Egypt
3. The Thief and the Cobbler
4. The Secret of Kells
5. A Monster in Paris
6. The Tale of Princess Kaguya / Howl's Moving Castle
7. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut / Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
8. The Iron Giant/Cats Don't Dance
9. Rise of the Guardians/ Shrek
10. Persepolis/ Sita Sings the Blues

I didn't want to leave off any favorites, but it's been some time since I've seen Iron Giant, though my memory of it is a pleasant one...
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut
The Iron Giant
Coraline
Kung Fu Panda 2
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
The Prince of Egypt
The Secret of NIMH
How To Train Your Dragon
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Corpse Bride-The NBXMAS- El Dorado- Anastasia-Princess Mononoke-Shrek 2- Kung fu Panda 2- Book of Life-Prince of Egypt-Secret of Nimh
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool