What Movie Did You Just Watch? ...Rises

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

What Movie Did You Just Watch? ...Rises

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Previous thread: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27134

Glee: The 3D Concert Movie - Thoughts posted in the "Glee" Discussion.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Not "Begins" or maybe "Triumphant," throwback style? Bummer.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Planet of the Apes marathon:
(Rating scale 1-5 ✰s)

Planet of the Apes (1968) ✰✰✰1/2
Beneath tPotA1/2
Escape from tPotA ✰✰✰
Conquest of tPotA ✰✰1/2
Yet to see Battle for tPotA.

The Planet of the Apes was and still is a very successful franchise. The first movie was a morality play which alluded to current cultural events. The sequels did't go nearly as deep, and while they do have their share of memorial (if not cheesy) moments, they just cover old territory, rehashing it to a pulp. What I liked about the reinvented Rise of tPotA is that it departs from the originals' themes (nuclear war, race...), which were indeed pivotal products of the time that greatly influenced the films. Nevertheless the 2011 version is sort of a Frankenstein's monster kind of tale and less political, more character driven. Yes, they snuck in a few issues, but they didn't bash you over head with them, which I find the original series did far too often.

On a side note I am pleased to say that the FX makeup in the original Apes stills stands the test of time. I recently rewatched X-Men: First Class and Beast's updo is proof of how much FX makeup has evolved. :wink:
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Pretty Woman (1990) Blu-ray

Garry Marshall's retelling of an updated "Cinderella" makes for what was one of the most successful movies of the year. Starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts, who nominated for an Oscar for this role, shine as the protagonists, he a billionaire who buy companies and splits them up and sells them without blinking an eye, and she is a Hollywood prostitute who becomes a part of his life because he can't drive a stick shift Lotus automobile.

This movie is full of romance and features a great supporting cast with turns from Laura San Giacomo, as Roberts' roommate, and Hector Elizondo as the Hotel manager who tries to figure out why this person is living in his high-class Beverly Hills Hotel. Jason Alexander, is the creepy lawyer friend of Gere's who gets his come-uppance in the end.

This film has it all, including a soundtrack with some very up-tempo music that fits the bill perfectly and includes Roy Orbison's timeless "Oh Pretty Woman".

The blu-ray presentation is flawless and the lossless audio 5.1 soundtrack is wonderful, this film rates 4.5 star out of 5.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Dick (1999)

3/5
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

The Help - I read the novel earlier in the year and it was fantastic. Friday night I saw it with my mother and younger sister (and let me tell ya, the average age of the audience was at least 50), and we all that it was pretty good. I was a little skeptical of Emma Stone as Skeeter, but I think she did well overall. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were wonderful as Aibileen and Minny; they practically stole the show. Bryce Dallas Howard was good as Hilly Holbrooke, and the rest of the supporting cast was fine, too. Now, I didn't remember the novel all that much when I saw the film on Friday (except for the Terrible Awful Thing), so I decided to read the novel again. The film was great, and I'm quite glad I got to see it.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Two animated films:

L' Illusioniste (2010)

Every fan of hand-drawn animation needs to see this little tale about a French has-been magician, who travels to England to look for work, befriends a little Scottish girl and travels the country together with her. It's entirely in pantomime, so people who don't like to read subtitles need not worry. Based on a script by the great comedic legend Jacques Tati, the plot didn't do much for me. It drags on a lot of places and the ending is rather abrupt. But what makes this a little gem, is the terrific animation. This movie reminded me of the reason I greatly prefer hand-drawn animation over CGI: it provides so much warmth and atmosphere. This movie is a feast to watch. The colors are so rich and vibrant; the backgrounds are beautiful (even simple things like hotel rooms are animated in a lush way). Also, there are lots of hysterical supporting characters who keep it interesting. So, give it a chance.

Disney's Dinosaur (2000)

First time watching. I can't say it was good. I also can't say it was bad. The big problem with this movie is that it isn't anything. It just "is". It's there, but had it not existed, probably nobody would have missed it. It's one big general "meh". The story is incredibly meager (and it feels like it's stealing from Don Bulth's Land Before Time); the characters are cardboard cut-outs; the character animation is generic at best; the soundtrack is standard fare. Save for the opening scene, the animation isn't even all that impressive. I honestly wonder who at Disney thought this movie was a good idea.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Hereafter
Three lifestories come together in this movie pondering about afterlife. I liked it a lot. Maybe not the movie for you if you thinks such a concept as an afterlife is pure nonsens. (I dont' think so). There is the American George (Matt Damon) , a reluctant psychic (and a great Dickens-lover to boot, I personally liked that very much :) ), a French TV-journalist who has a near-death-experience when she almost drowns in the tsunami in Indonesia, and the English boy Marcus from a problematic family, who loses his twin-brother Jason to a traffic-accident and is searching for a way to contact his brother. Not going to reveal more. Directed by Clint Eastwood.

City of Ember

Okay fantasy/sf adventure movie about an underground city. For 200 years this city has been the refuge for what's left of mankind after a great disaster. Some kids discover the documents in a box that has been passed on from mayor to mayor, but was hidden and forgotten at some point. The box contains instructions on how to find the way out and the movie shows how they get there. With Bill Murrey as the corrupt, selfish mayor.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

This was pathetic. I liked that whole idea of repressed memories being the cause of Freddy, but the whole ending of the movie made no sense at all. To be honest, it felt like a step away from being a new entry into the Final Destination and/or Saw series. I hope they stop the re-makes if they’re going to be this bad.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The City of Lost Children (1995) DVD

On a couple of recommendations from friends who like movies I watched this movie and was amazed at how beautifully the story was told.

Directed by Marc Cara and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the sometimes dark fantasy, comedy adventure is the story of a man, portrayed by Daniel Emilfork, who cannot dream, but has children kidnapped by his henchmen and taken to his laboratory-island where he can capture their dreams.

Ron Perlman plays the character One, who faces the task of rescuing his son and the other children from this menacing person. With the beauty of great photography and very deft story-telling, this movie, a little familiar in its content, is mezmerizing and makes you watch what is unfolding before you.

I really liked this film, though it is slow-paced, but this is a French film and deserves to be watched. I will give this a strong 4 out of 5 stars.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

dvdjunkie wrote:The City of Lost Children (1995) DVD
Ah, La Cité des Enfants Perdus! I had wanted to see it for a long time, due to the excellent reception it had gotten in the arthouse fan-community. I expected a lot from it, but I didn't like it at all. Maybe it's because my copy of the film wasn't too good, but I just couldn't get into the movie. Maybe I should try again...?
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I don't think I posted in the old thread since sometime in April (well, I did, but I didn't list any movies then.) My computer died for a month during June. I watched WAAAY too many films to give each a paragraph or even a line this time around, maybe I can start back up later. * means a film that is new to me.

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)*
Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)*
Casper (1995)
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel (2009)*
Casper: A Spirited Beginning (1997)*
Casper Meets Wendy (1998)*
G-Force (2009)*
The Flintstones (1994)
The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas! (2000)
Road to Singapore (1940)*
Road to Zanzibar (1941)*
Road to Morocco (1942)*
Road to Utopia (1946)*
Return from Witch Mountain (1978)*
Semi-Pro (2008)
Step Brothers (2008)
American Pie (1999)
American Pie 2 (2001)
American Wedding (2003)*
American Pie Presents: Band Camp (2005)*
American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile (2006)*
American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007)*
American Pie Presents: The Book of Love (2009)*

I started giving them ratings sometime in June, for use on IMDB. Some of the earlier ones have been rated AT IMDB, but I don't have the ratings on my computer. The ratings aren't connected.

Club Dread - 8
The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle* - 7
Short Circuit 2 - 8
Gremlins - 9
Dodgeball - 9
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - 8
Anchorman: Wake Up Ron Burgundy The Adventure Continues - 7
Superbad - 7
Puddle Cruiser - 7
Grandma's Boy - 9
Encino Man - 8
Bio Dome - 8
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - 8
City of Ember )* - 7
D-War: Dragon Wars )* - 7
Get Smart - 8
Get Smart: Bruce & Lloyd Out of Control - 7
Son in Law - 8
Good Will Hunting )* - 8
War of the Worlds )* - 7
The New Guy - 8
Accepted - 8
Stuck on You - 8
Road to Bali )* - 7
Road to Rio )* - 7
The Last Mimzy )* - 7
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes - 6
Shallow Hal - 8
Water World - 7
There's Something About Mary - 8
Dude, Where's My Car? - 8
Sunshine )* - 6
Billy Madison - 7
Happy Gilmore - 8
The Waterboy - 7
Big Daddy - 7
Little Nicky - 7
Mr. Deeds - 8
Anger Management - 7
50 First Dates - 9
The Longest Yard (Sandler) - 6
Click - 8
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - 7
A Beautiful Mind )* - 7
Mrs. Doubtfire - 8
National Treasure - 8
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - 8
Fever Pitch - 8
Drillbit Taylor - 7
PCU - 7
Major Payne - 7
Léon: the Professional (1994)* - 9
Uncle Buck )* - 7
The Great Outdoors - 7
Going Berserk )* - 5
The Animal - 7
The Pink Panther (remake) - 7
The Pink Panther 2 (remake)* - 5
The Fifth Element - 9
Me, Myself & Irene - 7
Resident Evil - 8
Resident Evil: Apocalypse* - 7 - 300th movie of the year!
Resident Evil: Extinction* - 7
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother - 8
Bend it Like Beckham - 7
Ghost Dad - 7
Sheena - 7
Little Miss Marker - 8
Now and Forever - 6
The Incredible Hulk - 8
Hulk (2003) - 6
Spanglish - 8
Going Overboard - 1
The Wedding Singer - 8
Reign Over Me - 8
You Don't Mess With the Zohan - 7
Starsky & Hutch - 7
Kicking and Screaming - 7
The Benchwarmers - 7
Blades of Glory - 7
Zoolander - 6
The Hot Chick - 7
Bloodsport -7

321 films total for the year.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

NOTE to Little Fuzzy:

How many of these do you own? And how many of these were seen on regular television or premium channels (HBO, Movie Channel, Encore, etc.)? If you own the majority of these titles then I would say you have a pretty good start on a collection.

Just curious.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

dvdjunkie wrote:NOTE to Little Fuzzy:

How many of these do you own? And how many of these were seen on regular television or premium channels (HBO, Movie Channel, Encore, etc.)? If you own the majority of these titles then I would say you have a pretty good start on a collection.

Just curious.
Well, I own all but 22 of the above (I think there's 106 titles total there), I started my collection over 11 years ago, and now I've got over 3000 DVDs (including quite a few TV seasons.)

I don't have cable, and I haven't watched much TV at all for the past couple of years. I got tired of commercials, edited content, full-screen versions of widescreen movies, stuff that gets preempted for some football game that's running long, reruns, reality shows, vapid celebrities, and bad news from around the globe. :lol:

------

I just watched Cobra, with Sly Stallone - I gave it a 6, it was getting a bit over the top towards the end. It was almost a vanity piece for Stallone, like a "Mary Sue" story in fan fiction. Too bad they wrecked his lead sled. From what I recall on a special feature on Beverly Hills Cop (or maybe the IMDB trivia page), Sly was originally going to be in that, and it was going to be a lot grittier. He may have written some of the material, and when Eddie Murphy got the part (turning the movie into more of a comedy), Sly (and/or the original writers/director/producer?) took the partially developed material and turned it into Cobra.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mars Needs Moms

not bad
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Can we please change the thread title? I mean, we've gone so many years.... and to have it thrown off by ONE film?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

PeterPanfan wrote:Can we please change the thread title? I mean, we've gone so many years.... and to have it thrown off by ONE film?
I always thought the title was the choice of whoever took the initiative to create a new thread.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

What's the matter with the title of the thread? We have several good movies with the word "Rises" in it and more coming.

How many movies can you name with the word "Rise" or "Rises" in it?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

pinkrenata wrote:
PeterPanfan wrote:Can we please change the thread title? I mean, we've gone so many years.... and to have it thrown off by ONE film?
I always thought the title was the choice of whoever took the initiative to create a new thread.
It is, and I didn't mean my comment to be rude. We have been going so long with the Batman subtitles that I was confused why we skipped over "Begins"...
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Absolute Power (1997) Blu-ray

There are so many things good with this movie and so many things that just don't fit. Let's start with the good things - the cast is top notch. Clint Eastwood, plays a cat burglar who witnesses a murder while robbing a mansion belonging to E.G. Marhsall, in an outstanding role; Gene Hackman portrays the President of the United States, who believes that he is above reproach about anything including having affairs and murder; Scott Glenn and Dennis Haysbert are Secret Service men who aid the President in his time of apparent peril by shooting the victim, after she has stabbed Hackman in the arm; Ed Harris is a police detective on the trail of Eastwood, who is at the top of the detectives list of criminals. Laura Linney is wonderful as Kate, Eastwood's daughter, who is also a top-notch prosecutor.

There are several plot holes that never get filled, but the last fifteen minutes of this film will keep you on the edge of your seat. Who do we root for, the bad guys (Eastwood, Haysbert, and Glenn) or the good guys (Hackman, Harris and Marshall). That's one of the better stories in this film that keeps you guessing.

Running just under two hours, this Malpaso Production is taut, wonderfully photographed and the music soundtrack is not all all overbearing. On a scale of 1-5, I will give this film a strong 3.5. It is definitely worth a watch.