Pixar's Brave (formerly The Bear and the Bow)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It's official: Merida's 'ugly'. (i.e. unappealing, disproportionate, heavily caricatured & stylized--not fitting for a main character who is supposed to be more 'naturalistic' and believable).

I should've seen it coming. Pixar never had appealing designs for their human characters.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I threw the pics together for the heck of it, sideways title and all. :lol:

pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Her look kind of reminds me of the style of the artist who did the artwork for the Harry Potter books. Mary Grand-Pre, I think?
She does, sort of. And she has pretty hair!
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thanks so much, enigmawing! :D

I love all these designs. I think the only one I'm iffy about is the Queen. Don't tell me they're pulling a Tangled and having the mother look as young as her daughter? :lol:
pinkrenata wrote:She does, sort of. And she has pretty hair!
Yes, she does! I love it! :P

I wouldn't even compare her to Ariel, really. True, they're both "redheads," but Ariel's was a perfect red whereas Merida is the more common orange.

I really can't wait to see Julie Walters talking out of that old woman. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

Anyone else kinda getting a Carl Fredrickson vibe from that old lady? Love that character design.

Merida looks a little...off...I think it's her eyes...but this movie is going to be great regardless.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

RIPJoeRanft wrote:Anyone else kinda getting a Carl Fredrickson vibe from that old lady?
Yeah, I got that vibe too. The designs are pretty similar.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

enigmawing wrote:I threw the pics together for the heck of it, sideways title and all. :lol:

Merida played by Strawberry Shortcake
Queen Elinor played by Rogue from the X-men TV series
Creepy lady staring with one eye played by Yubaba from Spirited Away
Man with face paint played by ?????
:P
Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I give Merida a B in looks. Her hair is great! She's pretty, but like Rapunzel, what's with her eyes???

How can they make Merida "ehhhh", but her mom one of the most beautiful CGI women ever??? :x :?
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

Sky Syndrome wrote: Man with face paint played by ?????
...Clopin?
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Merida looks a little cat-like, not unlike Emma Thompson's character in Treasure Planet . . . either way, really looking forward to this one. Seems like something very different (for Pixar AND Disney)
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

LySs wrote:
...Clopin?
I thought of Clopin but Clopin's nose is long and narrow so I started thinking of other characters. I even considered calling him Clopin's dad. lol
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

LySs wrote:
...Clopin?
Oh yeah I totally see it now! Tell me she DOESN'T marry him! :o Because Pixar having its first Disney Princess ugly, and MARRY that? Gee, I thought John would treat her better than Rapunzel and Tiana together! :lol: :lol: :lol:
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
LySs wrote: ...Clopin?
Oh yeah I totally see it now! Tell me she DOESN'T marry him! :o Because Pixar having its first Disney Princess ugly, and MARRY that? Gee, I thought John would treat her better than Rapunzel and Tiana together! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, the man with facepaint is one of the Three Lords that helps Merida along the way. Voiced by Craig Ferguson.

The fact there's no prince in sight is making me hopeful that this is more of an Action Princess movie and fearful about what the Disney Princess line will do to Merida when they strip her of all identity and throw sparkles on her.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

FigmentJedi wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: Oh yeah I totally see it now! Tell me she DOESN'T marry him! :o Because Pixar having its first Disney Princess ugly, and MARRY that? Gee, I thought John would treat her better than Rapunzel and Tiana together! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, the man with facepaint is one of the Three Lords that helps Merida along the way. Voiced by Craig Ferguson.
Oh ok. :)
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

For those complaining about how Merida looks, I have a feeling that that's concept art and if she does look that way in the teaser, she'll get an extreme makeover in the final film just like Naveen, Remy and Rapunzel got some makeover shifts after their initial teaser appearance. (Remy was skinnier in the teaser for Ratatouille.)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Unless those are concept designs, those characters look practically hand-drawn, let alone like they might be moving paintings.

You suppose they might give the film a painterly look; something that Rapunzel/Tangled almost went with?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Tristy wrote:For those complaining about how Merida looks, I have a feeling that that's concept art and if she does look that way in the teaser, she'll get an extreme makeover in the final film just like Naveen, Remy and Rapunzel got some makeover shifts after their initial teaser appearance. (Remy was skinnier in the teaser for Ratatouille.)
I’m glad there’s no love interest. I’ve always felt this was more of a Mulan-type film, with more focus on the heroine and less on love.

Makes me happy.

Also--she doesn't need to be beautiful. Not that she's ugly at all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Lovin Queen Elenor's design along with Merida's design, nice to see that Disney woman isn't afraid to have messy hair :) kinda tired of seeing 70 yrs worth of straight, long "perfect" hair.

As for the creepy Carl woman, yes she has Carl's facial design, but I'm ok with that, she defintly ranks with Snow White's Old Hag as the ugliest villainess and I know who'd go for her, Quasimodo lol, don't get me wrong this films sounds promising for Pixar's 1st fairy tale.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

You guys really can't tell if that's concept art or not? All four are paintings, with absolute certainty. A lot of you are being way too harsh on especially Merida's design. They will all look as different in the CG as Rapunzel and Flynn did after first seeing sketches of the two of them.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

SWillie! wrote:You guys really can't tell if that's concept art or not? All four are paintings, with absolute certainty. A lot of you are being way too harsh on especially Merida's design. They will all look as different in the CG as Rapunzel and Flynn did after first seeing sketches of the two of them.
I hope they don't change the lead heroine's appearance if she's decided to be "ugly". Disney can do the straight-haired petite stuff, but let Pixar try something different.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"