Sailor Moon Returns!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sailor Moon Returns!

Post by Sotiris »

Kodansha USA Publishing, a subsidiary of Kodansha, announced today the exciting return of Naoko Takeuchi's SAILOR MOON, one of the most significant names in comics and manga, to US publishing. Brand new deluxe editions of the acclaimed series will be released by Kodansha USA's Kodansha Comics imprint in September 2011. Out of print for six years, SAILOR MOON re-launches along with Takeuchi's two-volume prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, in print in the US for the first time-making this one of the most highly anticipated manga releases in years.

The SAILOR MOON manga, which originated in Japan in 1992 and debuted in the US in 1997, follows Usagi Tsukino, a young girl who transforms into super heroine Sailor Moon to combat evil and fight for love and justice in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. The first successful shojo (girls') manga release in the US, SAILOR MOON changed the book landscape and helped establish the foundation for the manga craze; in particular drawing attention to the popularity of comics among female readers.

Prequel series CODENAME: SAILOR V, the first of Takeuchi's "magical girl" manga, will make its highly anticipated debut in the US alongside the SAILOR MOON re-launch. In CODENAME: SAILOR V, teenager Minako Aino fights as Sailor V against the villains of the Dark Agency before she discovers Sailor Moon.

The Kodansha USA editions of SAILOR MOON will be published on a bi-monthly schedule and follow the 2003 Japanese re-release format of the classic series. The original 18 volumes have been condensed into 12 volumes covering the main storyline, and two volumes dedicated to short stories. Each volume has gorgeous new cover art, retouched interior art and dialogue along with extensive bonus material from Takeuchi, and detailed translation notes.

One of the most recognized manga and anime properties in the world, SAILOR MOON took American pop culture by storm, with mentions in music ("One Week" by Barenaked Ladies), bestselling books (The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot) and more. In Japan, over 15 million copies have been sold and the series has generated everything from animated features to live action musicals, a live action television series and countless merchandise.

"I'm very excited to reintroduce Ms. Takeuchi's work to her American fans," said Yoshio Irie, president and CEO of Kodansha USA Publishing. Irie is also the former chief editor of Nakayosi magazine in which the SAILOR MOON manga was serialized. "As we continue to build the Kodansha Comics manga list, a title like SAILOR MOON is the jewel in our crown. As the former chief editor of the work in Japan, I'm especially thrilled to finally release the prequel, CODENAME: SAILOR V, to the many fans who have been asking for it at long last."
Source: http://kodanshacomics.com/kodansha-usa- ... ilor-moon/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I heard. I was like "FUCK YES!"

better be in original japan format.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Holy crap. Holy, holy crap. I'm so getting this. I used to have a few of the original English run and a handful of the Japanese ones, but they've all been lost. I'd love to have a whole collection and would be especially excited to have Sailor V in print too.

It makes me wonder if the anime may be brought back to the US as well? I think I remember discussing the possibility of a redub in a thread here long ago. Yes, the DiC version sucks (although I still kinda like it :p) so it would be awesome to see a straight-forward dub instead of a watered-down adaptation.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I have all 12 of the Japanese version of this re-touched Sailor Moon they must be talking about, the one called "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon". I am only missing the Short Stories and Codename: Sailor V.

I absolutely love her new art style she used for the covers and interior touch-ups. It's so beautiful and, well, better in so many ways. I am annoyed by weird changes like Moon Frisbee turned to Moon Tiara Boomerang while still using a Frisbee shape (the TV show nicely made it transform to an actual boomerang) and the "Mercury" part of Mercury Aqua Mist when no one else uses their name in their first attacks...I complain to much. Naoko Takeuchi's inconsistency just annoys me.

Anyway, I will only really be excited if they translate it as perfectly as they can, and leave every single inch of the art intact.

I am also excited for the hopes that a re-dub that extends to the last season comes along.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

enigmawing wrote:It makes me wonder if the anime may be brought back to the US as well? I think I remember discussing the possibility of a redub in a thread here long ago. Yes, the DiC version sucks (although I still kinda like it :p) so it would be awesome to see a straight-forward dub instead of a watered-down adaptation.
Well, that really depends on whether the manga will sell well. Considering Sailor Moon's recent comeback in Europe (it got phenomenal ratings in Italy where it was re-aired), it's not such a far-fetched possibility anymore.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This is awesome. I have a large part of the series from back when (Sailor Moon was my preteens), but I never got all of them. Now I can buy them in a smaller collection. :D

Too bad it won't be til September.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:Well, that really depends on whether the manga will sell well. Considering Sailor Moon's recent comeback in Europe (it got phenomenal ratings in Italy where it was re-aired), it's not such a far-fetched possibility anymore.
I sure hope so. Anime has become so much more mainstream in the US since it last aired, so maybe it would be better embraced now.

*thinks about watching the show way back in 1995-2002*

Wow . . . was it that long ago? :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

enigmawing wrote:I'd love to have a whole collection and would be especially excited to have Sailor V in print too.
Disney Duster wrote:I am only missing the Short Stories and Codename: Sailor V.
You can read it online at various manga scanlation sites. Manga Readers should have it. I read it already. pretty damn good.

enigmawing wrote:It makes me wonder if the anime may be brought back to the US as well? I think I remember discussing the possibility of a redub in a thread here long ago. Yes, the DiC version sucks (although I still kinda like it :p) so it would be awesome to see a straight-forward dub instead of a watered-down adaptation.
Disney Duster wrote:I am also excited for the hopes that a re-dub that extends to the last season comes along.
Sotiris wrote: Well, that really depends on whether the manga will sell well. Considering Sailor Moon's recent comeback in Europe (it got phenomenal ratings in Italy where it was re-aired), it's not such a far-fetched possibility anymore.
Don't bet on it any time. As long as Toei continues to be a dick and has firm hold over it, it's not going anywhere. The success of the manga won't matter or change that fact.

Disney Duster wrote:I have all 12 of the Japanese version of this re-touched Sailor Moon they must be talking about, the one called "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon".
Yeah it's that one. I'm surprise you were able find the Japanese ones. I didn't think you'd go for them.

Disney Duster wrote:I absolutely love her new art style she used for the covers and interior touch-ups. It's so beautiful and, well, better in so many ways. I am annoyed by weird changes like Moon Frisbee turned to Moon Tiara Boomerang while still using a Frisbee shape (the TV show nicely made it transform to an actual boomerang) and the "Mercury" part of Mercury Aqua Mist when no one else uses their name in their first attacks...I complain to much. Naoko Takeuchi's inconsistency just annoys me.
Yeah I read about that. Usually when a finish series gets re-release in a kazenban format, sometimes the author Would add/edit few changes and such. The Dragonball manga did a similar thing like the ending.

Disney Duster wrote:Anyway, I will only really be excited if they translate it as perfectly as they can, and leave every single inch of the art intact.
You don't need to worry. They're very good company and make high quality works along the lines of Dark Horse's level(which is fucking good). They did Akira and Ghost in a Shell already and both being great.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Super Aurora wrote:You can read it online at various manga scanlation sites. Manga Readers should have it. I read it already. pretty damn good.
Yeah, I've read it. :) But I like to have printed copies to hold in my hand when I can. :D

Super Aurora wrote:Don't bet on it any time. As long as Toei continues to be a dick and has firm hold over it, it's not going anywhere. The success of the manga won't matter or change that fact.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath . . . but a girl can dream. :p
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

I just started getting into Sailor Moon, so this news is great for me as I will be buying this edition of the Manga, I hope a redub of the Anime comes though as I won't watch the DiC/Cloverway dubs, so I've been watching it in Japanese. I'm hoping FUNimation redubs it.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Super Aurora wrote:Usually when a finish series gets re-release in a kazenban format, sometimes the author Would add/edit few changes and such. The Dragonball manga did a similar thing like the ending.
Really they changed the ending?

And yea, I asked my parents for the original Japanese "Pretty Guradian" one when it first came out, because I was so excited and I really didn't think there was any other way for me to see the new art. Besides I feel great having the "true" Japanese version. I taught myself to read a little of the Japanese that they use to spell out English words, but I bet I already forgot how to do it. Just as well, I couldn't do it all that well.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

He didn't change the ending dramatically. it's only slight alternate version. Overall it's essentially the same though.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Thought of this thread yesterday when I took the kids to the mall. :D I saw this display at Hot Topic:

And this in the anime store:

It's cool to see this stuff in the stores again.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I knew about the T-shirts but not about the plushies!! Thanks for posting.

Btw, have you picked up the first volume of the Sailor Moon and Sailor V manga yet?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:I knew about the T-shirts but not about the plushies!! Thanks for posting.

Btw, have you picked up the first volume of the Sailor Moon and Sailor V manga yet?
No prob. :) Since they were at a specialty store they might be a little harder to find. I hope Hot Topic gets more stuff! I miss the days when they had the purses, figures, stickers, etc.

I've been extremely busy this past week (being a live-in babysitter for a while) and haven't had time to even look yet. My best bet will probably be a book store, right? Maybe I'll have time to go browsing today. :)
wrestling_stat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wrestling_stat »

enigmawing wrote:
Sotiris wrote:I knew about the T-shirts but not about the plushies!! Thanks for posting.

No prob. :) Since they were at a specialty store they might be a little harder to find. I hope Hot Topic gets more stuff! I miss the days when they had the purses, figures, stickers, etc.

I've been extremely busy this past week (being a live-in babysitter for a while) and haven't had time to even look yet. My best bet will probably be a book store, right? Maybe I'll have time to go browsing today. :)
I went to Barnes and Noble in Frederick (Maryland, USA) and they had Sailor Moon (only 1 copy) and Sailor V (3 copies). So I ended up getting both. I have never read them before, only watched the US version of the show, so I am excited for that.

Thanks for telling me about the shirts being sold in the stores. I knew they were being sold on-line.
<i>You are allowed one signature image up to 500 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height. </i>
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ ... banner.jpg
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

enigmawing wrote:Since they were at a specialty store they might be a little harder to find.

Could you please tell me the name of that anime store and where it's located?
enigmawing wrote:I hope Hot Topic gets more stuff! I miss the days when they had the purses, figures, stickers, etc. My best bet will probably be a book store, right? Maybe I'll have time to go browsing today. :)
Yep. The manga is selling really well from what I'm hearing. Hopefully, that will result in more merchandise (and even in a new DVD release).
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:Could you please tell me the name of that anime store and where it's located?
It's called Kilala's Anime and it's located in the Meadows Mall of Las Vegas, but it unfortunately doesn't appear to be part of a chain. It's a small store lined with purses, messenger bags, UFO catcher plushies, cell phone charms, figurines, etc. Had I been thinking straight I would have checked for the manga there since they had a handful on a shelf. Here's a link to their site: http://www.kilalasanime.com/
Sotiris wrote:Yep. The manga is selling really well from what I'm hearing. Hopefully, that will result in more merchandise (and even in a new DVD release).
Glad to hear it's selling well! I'd love to see a big comeback. :)

wrestling_stat wrote:I went to Barnes and Noble in Frederick (Maryland, USA) and they had Sailor Moon (only 1 copy) and Sailor V (3 copies). So I ended up getting both. I have never read them before, only watched the US version of the show, so I am excited for that.
Cool! We've got a few of those around here so I'll be sure to check soon. :)
wrestling_stat wrote:Thanks for telling me about the shirts being sold in the stores. I knew they were being sold on-line.
No prob! I just wish they carried them in men's sizes too, I'm a big girl and they tend to fit me better. :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

enigmawing wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Yep. The manga is selling really well from what I'm hearing. Hopefully, that will result in more merchandise (and even in a new DVD release).
Glad to hear it's selling well! I'd love to see a big comeback. :)
I'm glad, too. :) That might explain why I couldn't find any copies when I went to Barnes and Noble this past week. Might have to order through the store. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

One question for anyone who got the books already. Is it release in original Japanese format(right to left), or is it english format that Kondasha USA did with their Ghost in a Shell and Akira reprints?

LOL at sailor moon merchandise in Hot Topic. God I hate that store. Filled with geeky weeboos.