Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

disneyprincess11 wrote:What did John say about Jeffery? :?
You can see the article here.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Goliath wrote:I haven't seen Bolt, but I already hate it for shoving Miley Cyrus down our throats.
whoa! It's a miscast, yes, but the rest of the film more than makes up for it.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

pinkrenata wrote:In my defense as a moderator, Disney's Divinity and Goliath have since made up in another thread. So I'm letting it be for now. :p
In your defense as a moderator: I think it's good that moderators on UD generally let members sort things out amongst themselves. As proved with Disney's Divinity and me, we are very capable of doing so without intervention. I think the very loose style of moderating on UD creates a free atmosphere, where people don't constantly are in fear whether or not their replies will be deleted. This makes for better, more open discussion, in my opinion. So two thumbs up to the moderators!
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

That depends on how long and how many threads it takes for you to "sort things out amongst (your)selves."
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

ajmrowland wrote:
Goliath wrote:I haven't seen Bolt, but I already hate it for shoving Miley Cyrus down our throats.
whoa! It's a miscast, yes, but the rest of the film more than makes up for it.
I dunno. IMO that's just one of the flaws of the movie. The rest of it didn't have the level of emotional payoff or unique storytelling to make it work for me. It felt too derivative of Buzz Lightyear's character arc in "Toy Story" and I didn't find any of the characters aside from the cat and hamster to be particularly interesting to me. Not to mention the weird plot holes that come up because of the whole "the dog can't know he's on a TV show" gimmick. I hated that whole idea. From the start it made me pick apart the film and wonder why any studio would pump the sheer amount of money it would take to do these stunts IRL every week as opposed to just pulling a Lassie or something. And I know, the answer is "it's a movie" but it still needs some level of realism when it's set in "the real world."
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

Sotiris wrote:Gnomeo and Juliet took us eleven years to make
Wow it really took them that long to come up with...this? Good for Disney for not backing this piece of shit.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

enigmawing wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:What did John say about Jeffery? :?
You can see the article here.
Thanks! :)

*reads it*

Ohhhhh ok. It's really not that bad, depending on why John warned him that. :/ I think that fish in Flushed Away was just a reerence to FN btw.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

John Lasseter made that warning after telling Jeffrey Katzenberg of the early plans for A Bug's Life, only for Katzenberg to then rip off the idea with Antz when he founded Dreamworks. The two had actually had a good relationship up until then, perhaps they are still cordial now, but I can understand why Lasseter would be weary.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Big One wrote:Wow it really took them that long to come up with...this? Good for Disney for not backing this piece of shit.
I actually don't think the movie looks that bad. Kind of so-so cute, but not terrible. Definitely not as bad as Mars Needs Moms, and that actually has the Disney name on it.

Most of the time, I take Elton John's side in these things though. :P I thought the Disney execs would take success wherever they could get it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought the Disney execs would take success wherever they could get it.
Tell that to the people who made "ElecTRONica." Disney didn't promote that one either, until it proved to be so hugely successful. And even then, a lot of people had their noses bent out of shape.
Sotiris

Re: Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

Post by Sotiris »

This is from Pixar's official Twitter account. I found it irritating that a quote by Walt Disney was attributed to John Lasseter.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/ ... 2068212736
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I'm sure it was just a mistake on the marketer's part. I know Ive heard John Lasseter say that giving credit to Disney for it.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

He'll be voicing Mickey Mouse before we know it...
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Well technically, that IS a quote by Lasseter, paraphrasing Walt. Basically he's saying he's always loved that quote. But I get what you're saying.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Pixar VS Disney Animation: ohn Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... ers-661752

This is a really good article on the subject many have talked about around here. I don't think this topic already had it own thread, or at least I couldn't of one.

rotfl rotfl rotfl at the image in the article
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's bad enough there are hundreds of articles and profile pieces exalting Lasseter as the savior of Disney, it's bad enough there are dozens of gratuitous, self-congratulatory documentaries and featurettes about his life and even about his wardrobe, do we really need an entire exhibition about his Hawaiian shirts, for crying out loud? How self-involved is he? From all of the subjects that a Disney fan would be interested in, is this the best they could have come up with? Who asked for this? Is this an expo for Disney fans or for Lasseter's ego? :roll:
Say Aloha to John Lasseter’s Film-Themed Hawaiian Shirts
Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios John Lasseter takes Disney and Pixar animation to heart—literally. For nearly every film—from Finding Nemo and Wreck-It Ralph to Frozen and Inside Out, Lasseter has commissioned an exclusive movie-themed Hawaiian shirt. And those who know the Oscar®-winning storyteller know that he loves his Hawaiian shirts—and dons one for almost every occasion. Animation fans will see their favorite film characters “materialize” before their eyes in this colorful collection, which will be exhibited on the show floor.
Source: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... -schedule/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Oh my...

I dislike him more and more. Priorly I've would've praised his takeover, but considering the demise of hand drawn, I won't even shed him a tear.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Can we just agree now that Pixar is past its freshness now that it's been pretty much the big animation thing (with a few misfires in their film history) for about 20 years and move on to something else more creative?

Also about the Hawaiian shirt thing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0[/youtube]
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Sotiris wrote:It's bad enough there are hundreds of articles and profile pieces exalting Lasseter as the savior of Disney, it's bad enough there are dozens of gratuitous, self-congratulatory documentaries and featurettes about his life and even about his [url=ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmrJFxxeDZw]wardrobe[/url], do we really need an entire exhibition about his Hawaiian shirts, for crying out loud? How self-involved is he? From all of the subjects that a Disney fan would be interested in, is this the best they could have come up with? Who asked for this? Is this an expo for Disney fans or for Lasseter's ego? :roll:
He's probably still mad at how they fired him back in the 80s...
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Really don't see the big deal personally, as part of a fairly large itinerary of exhibits and panels it seems like a small novelty for people at the Expo to see if they want to.
We're not going to Guam, are we?