Newsies on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Newsies on Broadway

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/03/04/dum ... -broadway/
Disney Theatrical only has two shows open on Broadway right now, “The Lion King” and “Mary Poppins”. So they have room for one or two more. Fans will be happy to hear that one of the other projects in production is “Newsies”, which gave Kenny Ortega (High School Musical) his start with Disney. If they’re looking for another, why not bring back “Beauty and the Beast.” I think it might be time for a ’special encore’ performance.
:pink::pink::pink:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Newsies? Seriously? Maybe it's because I don't care for the film, but a Broadway show is a ridiculous idea. I guess they can improve the story, but Jack Feldman's lyrics are still un-imaginative in my mind. Also, will Alan Menken be working on this? Nonetheless, if they do make a stage show out of this, more power to them I guess, but I probably won't see it.

And even with the small cult audience that's developed for it over the years, I'm surprised Disney would even think of green-lighting a play based on one of their most notorious bombs. Didn't this thing barely crack $10 million?
blackcauldron85

The music is SO Broadwayish, though, and with all the dancing and singing...it'd be a perfect Broadway show! There have been rumors throughout the years of a Newsies Broadway show, though, so I won't hold my breath just yet, but I hope it happens.

And just because a movie didn't do amazingly well at the box office doesn't mean that it wouldn't make a good Broadway show. I mean, Tarzan and The Little Mermaid both did well at the box office, comparatively speaking, and the Broadway shows closed after not much time...
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Thanks so much for posting that news Amy! This excites me far more than Dumbo and has so much potential to really expand and develop on ideas that were presented in the movie, such as the historical background, Jack's life before becoming a Newsie etc.
blackcauldron85

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! DISNEY THEATRICAL WORKING ON ‘NEWSIES’ FOR BROADWAY
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... -broadway/
(via disneyreport.com)
Today, we catch a glimpse of another project Disney Theatrical is apparently working on: Newsies. The 1992 Christian Bale vehicle was a major flop for the Disney Studios but eventually became somewhat of a cult hit on video.
No doubt this is going to make an awful lot of folks very, very happy if Newsies does manage to finds its way to Broadway, or the musical theater anywhere and Disney Theatrical is working hard to eliminate any doubt that either new proposed show will conduct a national tour, at least through the domain registration process.
Registered yesterday, we have: NEWSIESBROADWAY.COM, NEWSIESMUSICAL.COM, NEWSIESONTOUR.COM, NEWSIESTHEMUSICAL.COM and NEWSIESTICKETS.COM.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

blackcauldron85 wrote:EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! DISNEY THEATRICAL WORKING ON ‘NEWSIES’ FOR BROADWAY
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... -broadway/
(via disneyreport.com)
Today, we catch a glimpse of another project Disney Theatrical is apparently working on: Newsies. The 1992 Christian Bale vehicle was a major flop for the Disney Studios but eventually became somewhat of a cult hit on video.
No doubt this is going to make an awful lot of folks very, very happy if Newsies does manage to finds its way to Broadway, or the musical theater anywhere and Disney Theatrical is working hard to eliminate any doubt that either new proposed show will conduct a national tour, at least through the domain registration process.
Registered yesterday, we have: NEWSIESBROADWAY.COM, NEWSIESMUSICAL.COM, NEWSIESONTOUR.COM, NEWSIESTHEMUSICAL.COM and NEWSIESTICKETS.COM.
Yay!!
blackcauldron85

Who knew there were so many Newsies threads here?!

The Newsies Broadway show is in pre-production!

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/09/27/5-d ... y-musical/

Unfortunately, no link was given to a source, and I don't have time to search now, but yay for this news, which I'm assuming is legit since I trust the site!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Who knew there were so many Newsies threads here?!

The Newsies Broadway show is in pre-production!

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/09/27/5-d ... y-musical/

Unfortunately, no link was given to a source, and I don't have time to search now, but yay for this news, which I'm assuming is legit since I trust the site!
Interesting...

But I think I'll comment on that writer's choices for new Disney musicals-

Hunchback- Heck yes!
Jungle Book- No, not really...
Return to Oz- Could work actually. Never seen the movie, but it would probably be sucessful.
Sleeping Beauty- If only executed perfectly.
Goofy- NOOOOOOOO!
blackcauldron85

The Cast of Disney's NEWSIES Reading!
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW_Ex ... g_20101208
(via thedisneyblog.com)

Yay, it is still happening!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Yay! I hope this really works out for Disney and Newsies finally becomes a hit property in some form.

I found this in an interesting interview in the Toronto Star with Christian Bale:

"Five Faves Roles for Christian Bale:

Jack Kelly in Newsies: I know some people think the musicals I did were a thing of my youth, bit I enjoyed them and I wouldn't rule out doing another one again."
blackcauldron85

^ But in the past, he's been so vocal about regretting Newsies, I thought...? Yay if he's finally come around!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ But in the past, he's been so vocal about regretting Newsies, I thought...? Yay if he's finally come around!
This was my reaction too. :lol:
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

blackcauldron85 wrote:The Cast of Disney's NEWSIES Reading!
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW_Ex ... g_20101208
(via thedisneyblog.com)

Yay, it is still happening!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3
According to that, there's a Newsie named "Albert" in the ensemble. Haha! Seems like my wish to be a Newsie has partially come true. :P
Wire Hanger wrote:
Ames wrote:^ But in the past, he's been so vocal about regretting Newsies, I thought...? Yay if he's finally come around!
This was my reaction too. :lol:
His earlier quote from "Entertainment Weekly" did say he had mixed feelings, not necessarily regretting the film. I think he still harbors some resentment for the film itself (not necessarily making the film, but the film as a film), and his new quote does imply he enjoyed the experience of making a musical, and thus, "wouldn't rule out doing another one again." Surely enough time has passed for him by now. And his Terminator: Salvation meltdown alone proves he could do a rock opera if there's a decent backbeat.

Now, if only Disney would release Newsies on Blu-Ray and pay whatever they need to get him to shoot interviews for a retrospective documentary and do a commentary with his fellow Newsies. If they start working on it now, it could be out by 2012. :D

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
blackcauldron85

A new article about the stage show:

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/02/14/ ... nken-music

My friend who posted in on Facebook wrote that Sarah will be taken out, which I guess makes sense with the addition of Swifty. I don't know how I feel about this...I mean, on the one hand, I'm kind of okay with some things being changed, because what's the point of just reenacting the whole movie on the stage?, but at the same time, I like Sarah, and just adding a female Newsie that of course Jack will fall for (why not let Kid Blink or Racetrack or someone get a girlfriend? Or even David could fall for a girl Newsie!) just seems like a cliche or something...idk.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I saw Newsies a few years back when I was learning about strikes and workers' unions in school. I thought it would be appropriate and entertaining. I watched it with my mom, and I can't say it was a hit with us. I was rather disappointed actually. It seemed to drag on and the plot was a little on the thin side. I also found the occasional pelvic thrusts strangely out of place.

Since then, I've come to appreciate the music, at least. My favourite songs are "The World Will Know" and "Sieze the Day." I only vaguely remember how "Carrying the Banner" goes. I think I'll look up the soundtrack now...
blackcauldron85 wrote:A new article about the stage show:

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/02/14/ ... nken-music

My friend who posted in on Facebook wrote that Sarah will be taken out, which I guess makes sense with the addition of Swifty. I don't know how I feel about this...I mean, on the one hand, I'm kind of okay with some things being changed, because what's the point of just reenacting the whole movie on the stage?, but at the same time, I like Sarah, and just adding a female Newsie that of course Jack will fall for (why not let Kid Blink or Racetrack or someone get a girlfriend? Or even David could fall for a girl Newsie!) just seems like a cliche or something...idk.
Sarah's gone? Yay!! Seriously, though, I thought she made the movie like 10 times worse. Not that there was anything actually wrong with her character. It's just there wasn't anything to her character. There was no reason for Jack to like her except that she was pretty. I like the idea of a girl newsie better. And, blackcauldron85, I like your idea of David falling for the female newsie. It would be kinda cute. :) It might give David a little more character himself.
blackcauldron85

Linden wrote: I also found the occasional pelvic thrusts strangely out of place.
Um, those are the best parts. :p

I like Sarah, but it's true that there isn't much to her. I think that Swifty will probably be a more fun and interesting character than Sarah, but it's just so obvious that Jack will fall for her, or she'll fall for Jack, and I haven't even seen the show. Why not give the other guys a break!
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Linden wrote:I watched it with my mom, and I can't say it was a hit with us. I was rather disappointed actually. It seemed to drag on and the plot was a little on the thin side.
My oft-used phrase about the movie? "It's good, but not so good." For me, it's one of those movies that you think back on as being a really good movie. And then you re-watch it and find out it's not that great after all.

As far as turning it into a Broadway musical? Worse things have been done, but I don't foresee it being a hit.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I kind of find it disappointing that Sarah will be axed from the stage show. :( But to each their own.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Newsies Seize the Stage
http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/03091 ... wsies.html

Not sure if there's anything major new in this article compared to the others posted, but I watched Newsies today and was in the mood to share some news. :P
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
blackcauldron85

But not to worry, the original story and most of the film's songs will remain intact.
I wonder what songs will get cut... I'm thinking that Medda's songs are the most scrap-worthy...they don't necessarily move the story along like the others...