Gypsy (Remake)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Gypsy (Remake)

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Broadway World.com wrote:Barbra Streisand has confirmed to the LA Times that she will indeed star in a new film version of GYPSY. The news leaked "a little early, because the deal wasn't finished," Streisand said. "I am not sure about directing it. It may just be too much. I know I will be playing the part. It's like a bookend starting with 'Funny Girl.'"

Streisand will be seen performing live at this year's Grammy Awards on Sunday, February 13th on CBS and will be honored two nights perior as person of the year at the MusiCares Evening/Concert.

Michael Riedel reported in the New York Post back in January that straight from the mouth of bookwriter Arthur Laurents was word that Barbra Streisand is "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of GYPSY" for which Laurents has given her approval.

Laurents, who directed Streisand in her first Broadway show, I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, and who wrote THE WAY WE WERE for her said that he's has long talks with her on the subject, and that "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."

The New York Times got more information on the story, talking to both Arthur Laurents and to Stephen Sondheim who told them that Warner Brothers and Joel Silver are on board as producers, and that he'd (Laurents) suggested Tom Hanks for Herbie, an idea that he saysBarbra Streisand loved. Laurents also says that Streisand is no longer going to direct the film, as she once wanted to but instead will just play the part.

This would be the third film of GYPSY having first been made in 1962 (starring Rosalind Russell) and then again in 1993 for television (starring Bette Midler).

Streisand has appeared on Broadway in I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE and FUNNY GIRL. She has also received a special Tony Award. Her film work includes FUNNY GIRL, FUNNY LADY, YENTL, and NUTS. She has won numerous awards including the Oscar, Grammy, and Emmy awards.

Barbra's 63rd album, "Love Is The Answer" has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), just months after debuting at #1 on the Billboard Charts. This brings the number of gold albums awarded to Barbra to 51. Additionally, Barbra is the recipient of 30 platinum albums and 13 multi-platinum albums.

GYPSY was last seen in a production that was first presented by Encores! from July 9 to 29, 2007 with Patti LuPone playing Rose, and direction by Arthur Laurents. Principal casting included Laura Benanti in the title role of "Gypsy/Louise", with Boyd Gaines as "Herbie", and Leigh Ann Larkin as "Dainty June."

Arthur Laurents directed his famed production for Encores!, which is based on the 1957 memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, the famous striptease artist, and her mother, Rose, whose name has become synonymous with "the ultimate show business mother." It follows the dreams and efforts of Rose to raise two daughters to perform onstage and casts an affectionate eye on the hardships of show business life. The character of Louise is based on Lee, and the character of June is based on Lee's sister, the actress June Havoc.

The Encores! production was so successful it moved to Broadway at the ST. James Theatre, opening in March 2008, with Patti LuPone, Boyd Gaines, Laura Benanti, and Leigh Ann Larkin reprising their roles. Arthur Laurentsagain directed and Bonnie Walker reproduced the original choreography by Jerome Robbins. The production closed on January 11, 2009 after 332 performances and 27 previews. The production won three Tony Awards and three Drama Desk Awards, in each case for the performances by LuPone, Gaines and Benanti. It was also nominated for Best Revival of a Musical, and Best Direction. The show was originally intended to close in March 2009 on Lupone's final performance, but closed in January due to decreases in ticket sales.
Source: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Barbra ... 0208_page1

Well, this shall be interesting. I definitely think "Gypsy" can be remade, and while I think Streisand looks great for her age, I'm afraid it might show on screen. Hopefully not.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I'm willing to keep an open mind on this. Streisand will be/is perfect for Mama Rose...

...but...

Can she still pull off the role vocally? Her last few albums have displayed her voice in a more low-key style ("Love is the Answer", "Christmas Memories", "The Movie Album", etc.), and I'm wondering if she still has the "edge", so to speak, that's going to be required for the snap of the GYPSY score.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Cool news! I was going to protest that the character of Rose is no spring chicken herself but then realized that Barbra, approaching 70 next year, is getting up there in age. Wow.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...so is she playing Pop or are they going to cast a 35-year-old as Louise to make it look age appropriate?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

The soft focus lens is a gal's best friend, baby. And don't forget that if Babs is also directing, she'll be keeping a firm handle on how she's lit and shot.

My DVD Collection :
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

From what I hear, she's for sure starring in it, but she's not yet decided if she'll direct, but is leaning more towards "no."

I'm a huge HUGE Barbra fan, but I'm hesitant about this. I think she can find a way to do the songs - her voice is deeper and much of her upper range is gone, but she still finds a way to sing all the old classics very well. But she's far too mannered and hoi polloi for the part. Madame Rose is a lot of things, but hoi polloi she ain't, as much as she'd like to be. She's blue collar, through and through, and Barbra balks at the idea of ever being presented as anything but absolutely "high class" at every waking moment.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen the finished product, but currently, I don't really have high hopes.
-Joey
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

my chicken is infected wrote:From what I hear, she's for sure starring in it, but she's not yet decided if she'll direct, but is leaning more towards "no."

I'm a huge HUGE Barbra fan, but I'm hesitant about this. I think she can find a way to do the songs - her voice is deeper and much of her upper range is gone, but she still finds a way to sing all the old classics very well. But she's far too mannered and hoi polloi for the part. Madame Rose is a lot of things, but hoi polloi she ain't, as much as she'd like to be. She's blue collar, through and through, and Barbra balks at the idea of ever being presented as anything but absolutely "high class" at every waking moment.

I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen the finished product, but currently, I don't really have high hopes.
Sure it seems that way now, but she did pull off a fun performance in the "Fockers" films. Babs has a knack for comedy and I can't wait to see what she does with some of funny scenes from GYPSY (the hotel room scene with Mr. Kringelein, etc.). And never forget she was working class Bronx chic in "Funny Girl".

My DVD Collection :
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

As a fan of Gypsy, I'm definitely interested in this remake. The story is timeless and can fit any generation. I do think Babs can do a great job on it if she taps into the same muse that sparked her turn Fanny Brice - her humor. Outside of, perhaps, the Fockers franchise, Babs has really lost the sense of quirkiness that made her so fascinating to watch in the 1960s. If she can get that back for Mama Rose, this could be something really special.

Oh, and I approve of Tom Hanks as Herbie. Gypsy, though, definitely needs to be an unknown. It would make the storyline more effective.
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

How about John C. Reilly as Herbie? He's basically today's Karl Malden and he sings, so his songs don't have to be cut out!

WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Disneykid wrote:Babs has really lost the sense of quirkiness that made her so fascinating to watch in the 1960s.
That sense of quirkiness is why I absolutely love to watch all her old TV specials and appearances from the 60's, and why I became a fan. She was really something special in those days. Well she still is, but it's like watching a completely different person when you see what she was like in her early years. That exciting, kooky, energetic performer with enormous talent and fantastic creativity.

As for Gypsy, my favorite Rose to date has been Bette Midler in the 1993 TV remake. Her performance isn't perfect, mainly because I think she forgot she was making a film and not a Broadway show. She was often at an 11, and she really needed to be at about a 6. But the part was still a perfect vehicle for Bette's talents, and Bette Midler is perfect to play a blue collar working girl like Madame Rose.
Last edited by my chicken is infected on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joey
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I agree. When I think of Babs, it's Fanny, Dolly, Daisy; and her A-MA-ZING 60's albums.

My DVD Collection :
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I like John C. Reilly as Herbie a lot, but he reads much younger than Babs, at least younger than I'd imagine Herbie to be. In my mind, they were pretty close in age with her perhaps slightly younger.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

I have a few casting choices, by the way:
Lacey Chabert as adult June - it'd be kinda perfect, since she played young June in the 1993 TV version
Cyndi Lauper as either Mazeppa or Tessie Tura - don't laugh, I've actually thought about this! :P
Amanda Seyfried as Louise/Gypsy
-Joey
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I can actually see where you're going with the casting of Cyndi Lauper as one of the strippers. I'd love to have Chita Rivera as Mazeppa myself.

Christine Ebersole as Tessie?....no, wait...she's already played that part. What about Tina Fey as Miss Cratchitt?

My DVD Collection :
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

my chicken is infected wrote:From what I hear, she's for sure starring in it, but she's not yet decided if she'll direct, but is leaning more towards "no."

Hoi polloi DOES mean the masses or the common people, but that's a frequent mistake people make! :)
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Oh yes, hoity-toity is more what I'm thinking of than hoi polloi. :lol:
-Joey
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

This could be brilliant, but why do I keep thinking more along the lines of Lucille Ball in Mame! :shock: (And I adore both Lucy and Babs! :thumb: )
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

carolinakid wrote:This could be brilliant, but why do I keep thinking more along the lines of Lucille Ball in Mame! :shock: (And I adore both Lucy and Babs! :thumb: )
I can't see how it could possibly be that bad, even if they tried. The source material (in my opinion) is much, much, much better than <i>Mame</i>. Plus, no matter what Barbra's voice is like these days, at least she can still carry a tune!

SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I think it's sort of funny how she played Dolly Levi in the 60s and Rose now. Too bad the roles aren't reversed. That would have been something.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

pinkrenata wrote:
carolinakid wrote:This could be brilliant, but why do I keep thinking more along the lines of Lucille Ball in Mame! :shock: (And I adore both Lucy and Babs! :thumb: )
I can't see how it could possibly be that bad, even if they tried. The source material (in my opinion) is much, much, much better than <i>Mame</i>. Plus, no matter what Barbra's voice is like these days, at least she can still carry a tune!
I think that Lucille Ball always had a burning desire to be a great singer. On "Here's Lucy", there is a tonne of musical themed episodes, and Ball shifts, almost wildly from episode to episode, using either her own voice or ghost singer Carole Cook. "Mame" was a project she really went to bat for, having seen how Lansbury went over in the role.

My DVD Collection :