Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Class316 wrote:It's truly disgusting and unacceptable that we still do not have an uncensored Fantasia :(

Last they even outright LIED about it on the cover. This time they are not.

I don't suppose it was released as a Jap LD uncensored (or any other format or country)?

Either way, this blu ray is a pass for me.
I imagine had they released uncensored people would be using the words "disgusting" and "unacceptable" too.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Victurtle wrote:
Class316 wrote:It's truly disgusting and unacceptable that we still do not have an uncensored Fantasia :(

Last they even outright LIED about it on the cover. This time they are not.

I don't suppose it was released as a Jap LD uncensored (or any other format or country)?

Either way, this blu ray is a pass for me.
I imagine had they released uncensored people would be using the words "disgusting" and "unacceptable" too.
That is what I think of it as well

On the other hand, true fans, are really wanting the unscensored version of Fantasia (like myself)! I think they should bring both versions of the film on Blu and DVD put some sort of warning on it like on CD's or something on the unscensored version and have a "normal" version available as well!
So everybody's happy and there will be no discussions afterwards
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Really couldn't care less about the edits, they don't detract from the film in anyway. The only thing I'm upset about is the lack of F2006 shorts in HD. Destino, while good, is little compensation for the exclusion of the others. Hopefully they'll come on BDLive in time
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Was the Fantasia VHS that came out back in 1992 censored?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Every Fantasia theatrical release since 1969, and every home video release since 1991 has been edited. From what I've seen, the only available video clips of Sunflower generally come from a late 80s German TV broadcast of the film (at least, I always believed it was, based on the logo ident in the bottom right of the screen).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Escapay wrote:Every Fantasia theatrical release since 1969, and every home video release since 1991 has been edited. From what I've seen, the only available video clips of Sunflower generally come from a late 80s German TV broadcast of the film (at least, I always believed it was, based on the logo ident in the bottom right of the screen).

albert
Has there been any home video release before 1991?
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Yeah, the LaserDisc.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

The Fantasia Laserdisc came out in 1991.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

So the 1991 LD is uncensored??
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

No, it's also censored.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

Escapay wrote:No, it's also censored.
:(
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

2099net wrote:OK - I got my Fantasia 2000 (UK) complete with the Virtual Vault and its time to set a few things straight:

(1) The Virtual Vault does work in the UK. It appears Disney has turned on BDLive at long last outside the US. Oddly though, you don't have to sign-up for anything or view any terms and conditions of use
Is it possible to save the BDLive content permanently on a USB drive through the Bluray player?
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

geniuswalt wrote:Is it possible to save the BDLive content permanently on a USB drive through the Bluray player?
That's what I am wondering; I don't like the idea of my ability to view content to be based on how long Disney decides to "host" the files on BDLive.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

so, how much vaulted content are we talking? is tracking down the legacy disc still worth it?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Don Hahn & Dave Bossert help Boston's D23 fans celebrate the 70th anniversary of Disney's "Fantasia"
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... -quot.aspx
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

geniuswalt wrote:
2099net wrote:OK - I got my Fantasia 2000 (UK) complete with the Virtual Vault and its time to set a few things straight:

(1) The Virtual Vault does work in the UK. It appears Disney has turned on BDLive at long last outside the US. Oddly though, you don't have to sign-up for anything or view any terms and conditions of use
Is it possible to save the BDLive content permanently on a USB drive through the Bluray player?
As far as I can see, its just streaming, with no option to save. However, I don't think Disney plan to ever remove the content as it has its own menu option (although I am aware downloads can change menus).

As for the volume of content - there's two "making ofs" which are about a hour each, plus 2 cartoon shorts, a selection of general featurettes (such as the effects of Fantasia, the Fantasia that never was) and each segement of both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 has at least two filmed sequences. Fantasia 2000, being newer, tends to have more content per sequence (such as storyboards and alternative bits and bobs).

Check out http://www.ultimatedisney.com/fantasia.html for more info. (The interactive Orchestra feature is not available).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

Escapay wrote:Every Fantasia theatrical release since 1969, and every home video release since 1991 has been edited. From what I've seen, the only available video clips of Sunflower generally come from a late 80s German TV broadcast of the film (at least, I always believed it was, based on the logo ident in the bottom right of the screen).

albert
I was in China recently and purchased 2 different non-Disney DVD-releases of Fantasia. Hoping that one of them might come from a source that contained the original version with Sunflower.

None of them did.
The first one simply uses the European dvd that was released in 2000 as a source. The 1990 cut with the shortened but original Deems Taylor voice overs, but without his on screen performances.
So not interesting to me, as I own both this R2 dvd and the Legacy box from the US.

The second one however, doesn't seem to come from a dvd source, and has a cut I have never seen before.
It starts with the title card and after the orchestra takes place, we see Deems Taylor make his entry on the stage and do his complete first speech to introduce the film and the first piece. As far as I can tell with his own voice.
With the exception of this first introduction, Deems Taylor doesn't appear on stage for the rest of the movie and the interstitials are the same shortened voice overs as on the other dvd.

I thought this was an interesting find, although Sunflower would have made me happier.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Today marks the start of the 3 week countdown for the US release! I am looking forward to getting this title, especially in time for watching around the holidays.

Does anyone think that this title will go on sale the week of its release? I know it's more of a "niche" title, but I am hoping for good sale prices, in addition to the ability to use the $10 coupon. Toys R Us was great with the BATB release, setting the sale price at $22.99 and still accepting the $10 coupon.

Now I know that we are getting a "2 movies in 1" kind of thing, and that this set is 4 discs, so the price might not be that low, but I am hoping for the best!
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Well, like Netty I too have received my Blu-ray copy of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000. I can confirm that (from the bits I saw) both films look immaculate, though Fantasia may appear a tad soft in some parts.

I do have a bit of disappointing news regarding Destino, however. For its Blu-ray release, it has not been given a direct digital transfer. The presentation clearly shows it's taken off a print. It's a little noisy, less stable than Fantasia 2000 and contains a couple of spots and flecks.

It doesn't look bad, but I simply can't imagine why they didn't transfer it directly from CAPS.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Destino is hand drawn? I must have been living under a rock or something, I thought it was a CGI short. but yeah, that's really odd they didn't do that. could the digital data have been lost/damaged somehow?