Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I received a DMR Members-only update email, and there was a link to a $10 coupon for the Blu-ray Combo Pack. All you have to do is type in the Product Code from either Fantasia's DVD or VHS OR Fantasia 2000's DVD or VHS. However, when I tried putting in a Fantasia DVD product code that I found online, it said that it was an "Unknown Code" so either the coupon hasn't been activated yet, or something just isn't clicking with the website/me. Hopefully this'll get fixed, because a $10 coupon will be quite helpful for this.

I also, puzzingly, did not have a 5 point code (unless I just skimmed over it). EDIT: Haha, just found it!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

If you are a DMR member, enter this magic code to unlock your $10 off coupon for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Combo Pack: 717951008374
MICKEYMOUSE
Special Edition

Post by MICKEYMOUSE »

Coolmanio wrote:If you are a DMR member, enter this magic code to unlock your $10 off coupon for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Combo Pack: 717951008374
Thank you, that worked, printed and waiting :)
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Coolmanio wrote:If you are a DMR member, enter this magic code to unlock your $10 off coupon for the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Combo Pack: 717951008374
I guess it just wasn't clicking with me, then :lol:

Thanks for the code! My coupon is now printed off and I can't wait for November 30th!

I figure that I'll just combine my Legacy DVD set and this new set for the "Ultimate" collection. Thank goodness I kept my Fantasia Legacy set!
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

sequelofdisney, where did you find your 5 point code in your Members Only Update?

Thanks for that code, I printed my coupon off earlier, after seeing it in the DMR thread.

(edit: okay, I found the link for my 5 points...its a link not a code you type in)
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

jediliz wrote:sequelofdisney, where did you find your 5 point code in your Members Only Update?

Thanks for that code, I printed my coupon off earlier, after seeing it in the DMR thread.

(edit: okay, I found the link for my 5 points...its a link not a code you type in)
Haha, yeah I probably should have clarified! Sorry! I couldn't find it at first, either. It's like they didn't want you to get the 5 points!
FantasiaFan

Post by FantasiaFan »

Does anyone know when the hell this is being released in Australia?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

OK - I got my Fantasia 2000 (UK) complete with the Virtual Vault and its time to set a few things straight:

(1) The Virtual Vault does work in the UK. It appears Disney has turned on BDLive at long last outside the US. Oddly though, you don't have to sign-up for anything or view any terms and conditions of use

(2) The introductions to the virtual vaults shows lots of other Disney classic films. It appears from now on, other films will have all/some of the "classic DVD" bonus features presented in this way. (Of course, this seems to contradict what we know about Alice in Wonderland BD...)

(3) From a quick look, it appears all the footage is on there from the Anthology collection. i.e. Stills Galleries are missing. Even the musical shorts are included. You can browse and queue up content while viewing footage, making a custom continuous playlist.

(4) The footage is shown in a small window - probably a little lower resolution to the original SD presentation. It seems to stream pretty well on my connection so far - a small buffering pause is created before each segment plays.

Note: It is early-ish morning and usage is generally low - I know it will slow down by this afternoon and tonight and as a result I may get streaming problems. However, I am due to upgrade my broadband in the next 3-4 months, and streaming should not be a problem from that point onwards.

It's odd Disney has chosen to do this - I can see no benefit for them doing so and the fact that they've had to re-encode the supplements for the internet connection means that they may as well have re-encoded them in AVC/VC-1 SD and put them on the appropriate BD disc (I'm sure each disc would have enough room). However, what's done is done.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Raphdude

Post by Raphdude »

2099net,
Thanks for the info. Do your uk discs of fantasia and f2000 say they are regions A,B,& C or just B only?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The package says B only, and I have no way of checking. However, I suspect they may be region locked as I also got Disney's a Christmas Carol the same day and this is listed as ABC. Note as well the language options available on the UK Fantasia discs are almost certainly different to the US releases (No French for a start)

Other items of note on the Fantasia discs:

The Dali documentary is only SD. This makes me more certain than ever that all the Legacy bonuses could easily fit on the disc(s) themselves. If not, the vast majority could and only a few would have to be relegated to the "virtual vault" at best.

The interactive art gallery may (or may not) have less images than on the Fantasia Legacy, but anyone who loves the art galleries will not complain about these. All images are HD, all images are indexed by keywords, and all images are marked as similar to other images. Browsing the images is simple, be it by thumbnails, keywords/index or groups. You can also rate each individual image or bookmark it for easy retrieval and viewing later.

There's only a new commentary track on Fantasia. For some reason when reading the press release I got the impression both movies would get a new audio commentary from Brian Sibley.

The icons displayed on the PS3 call the discs "Fantasia - Diamond Edition" and just "Fantasia 2000". The packaging calls both discs "Special Editions"
triwit

Post by triwit »

DVD for Korean (and all Asian) market will be like these and BD should not be different.
Image Image
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Do any other U.K owners know how to make the Virtual Vault documentaries full screen? Mine usually Buffer for around 30 seconds and then just stay in the small square.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

miniroll32 wrote:Do any other U.K owners know how to make the Virtual Vault documentaries full screen? Mine usually Buffer for around 30 seconds and then just stay in the small square.
I don't think you can.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

triwit wrote:DVD for Korean (and all Asian) market will be like these and BD should not be different.
Image Image
Dude! That looks awesome! I like that even though they're in separate packaging, the covers are similar to one another so they complement each other.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

This is probably a dumb question, but I suppose we're getting the "original and uncut" version of the last DVD release and NOT the true origional version, right?

For that reason alone I refuse to buy it.
miniroll32
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miniroll32 »

Class316 wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but I suppose we're getting the "original and uncut" version of the last DVD release and NOT the true origional version, right?

For that reason alone I refuse to buy it.
I got my U.K Fantasia the other day, and the censorship edits are very different to the VHS/DVD :)

For a start, they're seamless. In fact, they're so seamless that if you didn't know about the films history, you just wouldn't be able to tell the edits were present. This is both a good and bad thing - good that the film looks so gorgeous even during the edits, and bad that Disney are so worried about the family audience.

As for the style of the edits, they differ. For example, as Bacchus ascends the red-carpet on his drunken donkey, the old VHS and DVD has a zoom, which took out every thing around these characters. On this Blu-Ray, the scene is restored to its original framing (i.e, not zoomed). But the way they've censored it, very very cleverly, is that Lowry have digitally removed Sunflower entirely from the scene through, in the simplest way of putting it, 'copy and pasting' the background on top of the Sunflower animation, thereby removing her completely and flawlessly. This was possible because when Lowry restore Disney films, they use this method of digitally compositing backgrounds of every single frame - hence why the background paintings always look 'static' and frozen.

To add to this, I can see that they have touched up the animation of the carpet being rolled up the stair case, so that the small corners were Sunflower was present, the carpet now just looks as though its been 'thrown' up the stair case.

As for the other 'grooming' shots when she first appear, they are the zoom shots, but done so with no problem. No grain, nothing, so you just wouldn't be able to tell.

Hope that helps!
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

The scene with the carpet was only on R2-DVDs zoomed in before. On the US-DVD, Sunflower was digitally removed the same way as now on worldwide releases.

Original:

US:

R2:
Raphdude

Post by Raphdude »

2099net wrote:The package says B only, and I have no way of checking. However, I suspect they may be region locked as I also got Disney's a Christmas Carol the same day and this is listed as ABC. Note as well the language options available on the UK Fantasia discs are almost certainly different to the US releases (No French for a start)

Other items of note on the Fantasia discs:

The Dali documentary is only SD. This makes me more certain than ever that all the Legacy bonuses could easily fit on the disc(s) themselves. If not, the vast majority could and only a few would have to be relegated to the "virtual vault" at best.

The interactive art gallery may (or may not) have less images than on the Fantasia Legacy, but anyone who loves the art galleries will not complain about these. All images are HD, all images are indexed by keywords, and all images are marked as similar to other images. Browsing the images is simple, be it by thumbnails, keywords/index or groups. You can also rate each individual image or bookmark it for easy retrieval and viewing later.

There's only a new commentary track on Fantasia. For some reason when reading the press release I got the impression both movies would get a new audio commentary from Brian Sibley.

The icons displayed on the PS3 call the discs "Fantasia - Diamond Edition" and just "Fantasia 2000". The packaging calls both discs "Special Editions"
2099net,

Thanks again for the info. Did either of your Fantasia or F2000 blu-rays have the Lorenzo and Little Match Girl shorts that Don Hahn said would be on the blu-ray or was it just Destino only?
Thanks,
Raphdude
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

No, the other shorts are not on either of the discs.
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

It's truly disgusting and unacceptable that we still do not have an uncensored Fantasia :(

Last they even outright LIED about it on the cover. This time they are not.

I don't suppose it was released as a Jap LD uncensored (or any other format or country)?

Either way, this blu ray is a pass for me.