Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

supertalies wrote:Anyway, Malaysia is also just going to caal it 'Rapunzel'.
As are France and Estonia (granted, those are the names for the traditional story in each respective language). And a lot of countries seem to be using the name Rapunzel (think a bit like Rapunzel Unbraided).

By the way, I'm happy that Jim Hill is confirming that it's a good film and not the goofy movie as the trailer makes it out to be (not that my hopes were ever dashed). :D Part of me finds Disney's intentional mismarketing of the film as the kind of thing that may leave audiences ultimately in shock. Am I the only one imagining stunned looks from the naive, we'll-see-anything-if-the-studios-tell-us-we-should mass moviegoing populace when they hear musical theatre numbers instead of the chart hits that feature in the trailer? It all reignites that feeling inside of me of wanting the movie to be called Rapunzel, though. I still think that the name Tangled is just a bit cold and distant, and while I don't mind a title other than Rapunzel at the end of the day, they ought to have gone for one that seems to some extent more descriptive of things in the film (The Secret Tower, Rapunzel Unbraided, heck, even Blondie and the Bandit as somebody jokingly suggested) and not some cold, vague rom-com sounding title. But hey, this mild, normally out-of-character outburst of Disney conservatism will probably get some eggs thrown at me. :roll:
Mr. Psycho

Post by Mr. Psycho »

Mobje wrote:"Tangled" Titles:
Thank you really much for this huge effort!
Mr. Psycho

Post by Mr. Psycho »

Poody wrote:I met the voice of Mother Gothel this past weekend! Donna Murphy! :)

That's cute! :)
Mr. Psycho

Post by Mr. Psycho »

Mobje wrote:More publicity material :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Thank you again, Mobje! :)
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I actually like the poster alot, i think its far better than the US one too be honest (you can actually see them) I would rather by the DVD with that as cover than the other too. Do you think the sound track will have that on it in the international countries ???

So glad all the interviews and previews I have read have been positive !! - Rapunzel @ WDW in 15 days !! Woop :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mobje, Nice effort with the great posters!

Actually, something just caught me. could you try putting Flynn in between the Samus and Rapunzel?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Image Image Image
Like this?
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I am so glad this is the theatrical poster

And this is the teaser poster

Does this mean we might get a new soundtrack cover ??

Image[/img]
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

I wouldn't count on it. We got the teaser poster for the Princess and the Frog CD, so it's not completely likely.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

The filmmakers should hasten to re-title the movie Disney's "Rapunzel" and create a classical ad campaign (ditching the Dreamworks-tinged "Tangled" angle) before it's too late.

If the film plays as well as some early viewers allege, there is still time to save the film, animation studios and the fairy tale franchise with a real Disney classic.

People don't want to see "Shrek" from Disney, so they ought to quit sending that message. The change of title and desperate sassy comedy slant of the trailers send an unconfident message to potential audiences (unless that is really what the film is like).

Simply put "Rapunzel" stickers on the merchandise that says "Tangled."

If it's really not a cynical self-aware spoof, and it's actually a good and sincere tale that deserves to be aligned with "The Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin"... it should definitely be called "Rapunzel."

(Just as "The Princess and the Frog" should have been titled "The Frog Prince").
janesjubilee
Gold Classic Collection

Post by janesjubilee »

merlinjones wrote:The filmmakers should hasten to re-title the movie Disney's "Rapunzel" and create a classical ad campaign (ditching the Dreamworks-tinged "Tangled" angle) before it's too late.

If the film plays as well as some early viewers allege, there is still time to save the film, animation studios and the fairy tale franchise with a real Disney classic.

People don't want to see "Shrek" from Disney, so they ought to quit sending that message. The change of title and desperate sassy comedy slant of the trailers send an unconfident message to potential audiences (unless that is really what the film is like).

Simply put "Rapunzel" stickers on the merchandise that says "Tangled."

If it's really not a cynical self-aware spoof, and it's actually a good and sincere tale that deserves to be aligned with "The Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast" and "Aladdin"... it should definitely be called "Rapunzel."

(Just as "The Princess and the Frog" should have been titled "The Frog Prince").
It's just a title. Really. They're just using this kind of marketing because a lot of people actually like it. Plus, it's the story that really matters, not the title. I rather "Tangled" with the current story plot instead of "Rapunzel Unbraided" with two teens turned to Rapunzel and her prince and the real Rapunzel turned into a squirrel. Yeah, Tangled sounds a lot better.

It's. Just. A. Title. Stop freaking out. It's stupid not to see this great film just because you don't like the title. Really.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Yeah? Have you learned absolutely nothing from the message of Beauty and the Beast?
RodryCroft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RodryCroft »

merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>It's just a title. Really.<<

By that logic (if it's just a title and it doesn't matter) they shouldn't have bothered changing it. But the title does matter (and not the way the marketers have strategized -- see "Princess and the Frog" which sounded like a toy line not a classic fairy tale).

>>They're just using this kind of marketing because a lot of people actually like it.<<

Executives like it maybe. No one on the net seems to: from ainitcool to cartoonbrew to micechat -- or right here. To my eye, most people seem to prefer "Rapunzel" and a classic Disney interpretation of the story rather than something Dreamworks-y. I'm not sure the 14 year old boys should be the ones deciding... that market never did get in line first for these fairy tales, historically.

>>Plus, it's the story that really matters, not the title. I rather "Tangled" with the current story plot instead of "Rapunzel Unbraided" with two teens turned to Rapunzel and her prince and the real Rapunzel turned into a squirrel. Yeah, Tangled sounds a lot better.<<

Neither please, just plain classic "Rapunzel" sounds better (in story and title) - - if that's the true "Walt Disney" they want to be (but, sadly, it isn't seems -- they want to be Nickelodeon or Dreamworks or Disney Channel -- anything but Walt Disney).

>>It's stupid not to see this great film just because you don't like the title.<<

The bigger point is, as a consumer, I'd be more likely to believe it was in the spirit of the Disney classics if it had a classic Disney title. I don't generally see Dreamworks movies -- or postmodern deconstruction comedies in general. But I love fairy tales.

With this title I keep thinking of the old Johnston & Johnston Baby Shampoo slogan: "No more tangles!"
Last edited by merlinjones on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>? Have you learned absolutely nothing from the message of Beauty and the Beast?<<

Sure. Howard had it just right: "Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme: Beauty and the Beast." (sniffle!)
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

I don't even mind the title "Tangled" anymore. I am just happy that they've taken the story seriously and have apparently done it justice. The title is not going to stand in the way of it's legacy, should it deserve one.
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Post by megustajake »

merlinjones wrote: The bigger point is, as a consumer, I'd be more likely to believe it was in the spirit of the Disney classics if it had a classic Disney title. I don't generally see Dreamworks movies -- or postmodern deconstruction comedies in general. But I love fairy tales.
What you have to understand is, you/we are not the consumer they are trying to target...
janesjubilee
Gold Classic Collection

Post by janesjubilee »

merlinjones wrote:>>It's just a title. Really.<<

By that logic (if it's just a title and it doesn't matter) they shouldn't have bothered changing it. But the title does matter (and not the way the marketers have strategized -- see "Princess and the Frog" which sounded like a toy line not a classic fairy tale).

>>They're just using this kind of marketing because a lot of people actually like it.<<

Executives like it maybe. No one on the net seems to: from ainitcool to cartoonbrew to micechat -- or right here. To my eye, most people seem to prefer "Rapunzel" and a classic Disney interpretation of the story rather than something Dreamworks-y. I'm not sure the 14 year old boys should be the ones deciding... that market never did get in line first for these fairy tales, historically.

>>Plus, it's the story that really matters, not the title. I rather "Tangled" with the current story plot instead of "Rapunzel Unbraided" with two teens turned to Rapunzel and her prince and the real Rapunzel turned into a squirrel. Yeah, Tangled sounds a lot better.<<

Neither please, just plain classic "Rapunzel" sounds better (in story and title) - - if that's the true "Walt Disney" they want to be (but, sadly, it isn't seems -- they want to be Nickelodeon or Dreamworks or Disney Channel -- anything but Walt Disney).

>>It's stupid not to see this great film just because you don't like the title.<<

The bigger point is, as a consumer, I'd be more likely to believe it was in the spirit of the Disney classics if it had a classic Disney title. I don't generally see Dreamworks movies -- or postmodern deconstruction comedies in general. But I love fairy tales.

With this title I keep thinking of the old Johnston & Johnston Baby Shampoo slogan: "No more tangles!"
Unfortunately, there are a lot more people in this world other than Disney fans that do enjoy Dreamworks movies and they make quite a lot of money out of it. Plus, this is Disney's interpretation of the film. They can do whatever the heck they want to.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>Unfortunately, there are a lot more people in this world other than Disney fans that do enjoy Dreamworks movies and they make quite a lot of money out of it.<<

>>What you have to understand is, you/we are not the consumer they are trying to target...<<

Clearly. And that message is coming across loud and clear. From the ad materials, it looks and sounds like a Dreamworks movie ...though we're supposed to read between the lines with the online PR sites that say it isn't like that at all, it's a Disney classic. Make up your minds, marketers!

There are a lot of folks who like traditional Walt Disney movies that are not Dreamworks fans (or even Disney fans necessarily). Why alienate a sure thing if they have the goods to deliver -- while reaching out to another demo that is notoriously fickle (little boys)?

Clearly, it's their risk to take, but the campaign (and title) does send an uneasy rebranding message.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

supertalies wrote:
Image Image Image
Like this?
yes, exactly. That seems to be the way they were designed.