Pixar's Brave (formerly The Bear and the Bow)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

SmartAleck25 wrote:Ok, I know this is Wikipedia and I really shouldn't be trusting its info, but I found something interesting...
Wikipedia wrote: Premise:

In rugged and mythic Scotland, the impetuous, tangle-haired Mérida (Reese Witherspoon), though a daughter of royalty, would rather make her mark as an archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Mérida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father's kingdom and her mother's life. Mérida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark ancient curse. Mérida meets a 21-year old prince Jeffrey and the wisecracking, and courageous alligator, Rally.

Voice cast:

Reese Witherspoon as Princess Mérida
Tom Hulce as Prince Jeffrey
Julie Walters as Witch
Billy Connolly as King Fergus
Emma Thompson as Queen Elinor
John Ratzenberger as Rally the Alligator
If the cast is accurate, I have no idea. But about the movie itself, I'm actually having doubts. Yes, Pixar has amazed us time and time again, but I just can't see them doing fairy tales. Then again, I couldn't see them making a movie about an old man who can't let go of the past, but look where we are now. This seems a little too much like PatF to me... (prince, "funny" alligator, rash decisions, etc.) Let's hope Pixar comes through with this...
Another alligator character? Nice. :)

As for the coming through part, you never know. Besides, I really thought The Princess and the Frog WAS promising enough.

By the way, was it just the title changed or the story, too? I'm still living under the illusion of there being a bear in the movie, as the original title suggested.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I'm just kind of puzzled as to what an alligator is doing in Scotland.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

PatrickvD wrote:I'm just kind of puzzled as to what an alligator is doing in Scotland.
They probably made it up just to fit Ratzenberg in. Pixar does not want to risk Brave's success! ;)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

is this still set for 2013.
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

ajmrowland wrote:is this still set for 2013.
To my knowledge, 2012.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

yeah its 2012. nothing has been announced for 2013 that I know of.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

PatrickvD wrote:I'm just kind of puzzled as to what an alligator is doing in Scotland.
Wikipedia isn't always correct, that's why.

Either that, or I just pray that they weren't that stupid to add an alligator of all things to a movie set in Scotland. Then again, a chameleon character was added to a film based on a German fairy tale (granted, that was WDAS and not Pixar, but Lasseter does hop between the two studios).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Kyle wrote:yeah its 2012. nothing has been announced for 2013 that I know of.
I see.

perhaps its the reason they shelved Newt?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I think there is an alligator joke going on here through Wikipedia.

I mean, With Louis in TPatF you really think they'd do another one so fast?

A bunch of websites are reporting that Gilbert Gottfried is playing an alligator named Marley in Pooh 2011.

So yet another in Brave?

If so, Disney is prepping their boys-centric "Disney's Gators" line of toys and direct-to-dvd features.... that's the only possible explanation...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Gilbert Godfried in Pooh? I dont even use them in the same sentence.

If it's anything like Iago, that *will* be interesting. :lol:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Wonderlicious wrote:
Wikipedia isn't always correct, that's why.

Either that, or I just pray that they weren't that stupid to add an alligator of all things to a movie set in Scotland. Then again, a chameleon character was added to a film based on a German fairy tale (granted, that was WDAS and not Pixar, but Lasseter does hop between the two studios).
I think an exotic animal like a chameleon (who accurately does not speak) could easily be imported to a Northern European country.

A talking alligator.... they couldn't even talk in Neverland, why would they end up and talk in Scotland of all places?
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Or worse, a big-lipped alligator.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

For our Facebook fans -- Here is your official look at the logo for Disney Pixar's upcoming feature, Brave, coming to theaters in the summer of 2012!
http://www.facebook.com/PixarBrave#!/PixarBrave?v=wall
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Will Reese Witherspoon be voicing her character with a Scottish accent? You can't fail to be impressed by the calibre of voice actors Pixar manages to attract to the films, no doubt due to their quality.

As for the aligator, I'm sceptical as to whether that's true. Unless their trying to work in the Loch Ness monster as a misunderstood aligator?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Cartoon Brew says Brenda Chapman has left Pixar and is no longer directing "Brave."
Cartoon Brew wrote:Crazy rumors floating into our offices this afternoon from reliable sources. We hear that Brenda Chapman, the first woman director at Pixar, has left the studio and is no longer directing Brave (previously titled The Bear and the Bow). We hear that she was pushed aside from full directing duties a while back, and that story artist Mark Andrews (who also co-directed the Pixar short One Man Band) has taken over directorial duties. We understand that the change officially happened last week, although it had been inevitable for some time. These type of directorial shake-ups happen so frequently at other feature animation studios that they hardly merit reporting, but this holds special significance because Chapman was slated to be the first woman director at Pixar after twelve straight features directed by men. By contrast, Sony Pictures Animation had a woman director on its first feature (Jill Culton on Open Season) and DreamWorks had a woman director on its second feature—The Prince of Egypt. Who was the DreamWorks woman director? Brenda Chapman.
Source
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I really like The Prince of Egypt, so this is disappointing. Still, this is Pixar and I'm sure there's some logical reason why she was replaced.

I wonder if, like Jan Pinkava on Ratatouille, she will keep a co-directing credit.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I wonder how this will affect the characterization of the female lead now that the film is being directed by a man.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

First they greenlight Cars 2.

Followed by Monsters, Inc. 2

Then they cancel newt.

And now they let Brenda Chapman go.

Pixar's been making some strange decisions as of late, IMO. My enthusiasm for Brave has waned slightly now, especially given how involved Chapman was with the film.

Honestly, the only things I'm really excited for from Pixar now are their live-action productions (John Carter of Mars with Disney, and 1906).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skyler888 »

I totally agree Escapay

Maybe when Disney does good, Pixar goes bad, some other-worldy tide that can't let two animation houses prevail at the same time[/b]
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

skyler888 wrote:Maybe when Disney does good, Pixar goes bad, some other-worldy tide that can't let two animation houses prevail at the same time
That would certainly explain the past 3 years. I preferred the Pixar animated feature to the Disney one in 2008 and 2009, and I highly doubt Tangled will affect me as much as Toy Story 3 did.

2008:
Disney - Bolt
Pixar - WALL-E

2009:
Disney - The Princess and the Frog
Pixar - Up

2010:
Disney - Tangled
Pixar - Toy Story 3

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?