Mickey's Christmas Carol Question

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ariche503

Mickey's Christmas Carol Question

Post by ariche503 »

I've tried googling this question but I still haven't found my answer so I thought I'd ask the experts.

I'm looking for Mickey's Christmas Carol (either DVD or VHS) that contains this exact content as I know there are some bare bone DVD's that just have the movie itself without the animated shorts.

When I was a kid, i remember watching it on TV where it had 3 animated shorts before the actual Christmas Carol movie came on. It went like this....

Pluto's Christmas Tree
Donald's Snow Fight
The Art of Skiing
Mickey's Christmas Carol

Does this exact lineup exist either on DVD or VHS still? I think there was a House of Mouse DVD or something that kinda had that lineup but I didn't want all the little extra storylines that DVD offered. I just wanted those listed above and that's all.

Can someone help show me what to look for to be certain I'm buying the right item? I greatly appreciate your input and you'll be saving me a lot of time in the end.
DiscoDan
Limited Issue

Post by DiscoDan »

ariche503

Post by ariche503 »

I read the description of the DVD you linked to and it says it includes the following animated shorts...

PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE, THE SMALL ONE, and SANTA'S WORKSHOP.

Those are the ones I'm looking for. I'm looking for the following in this exact order...

Pluto's Christmas Tree, Donald's Snow FIght, The Art of Skiing, Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Thanks for trying though. Anyone else?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm not sure... :/

I mean, the line-up sounds just like The House of Mouse, except for The Art of Skiing. So I've got some questions, from what you remember, there was no filler whatsoever? It went from the shorts back-to-back? Also, how long ago do you remember seeing this on TV?

I have a feeling the exact line-up you want is unavailable on DVD, and the closest match is Mickey's House of Mouse. I feel I should point out that you can skip right to the shorts on the DVD, you don't have to watch any of the filler (although, be forewarned, Mickey's Christmas Carol is shortened).
ariche503

Post by ariche503 »

that's a good tip but I know that it was aired with those 3 shorts and then the Carol movie afterwards. As for filler, I don't remember there being filler but there could have been.

I'll hold on to hope someone might know and will post it here.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Hi there, ariche503.

The version you're thinking of is the hourlong version of "Mickey's Christmas Carol" that contained the 1983 short and the three bonus cartoons that you mentioned. This aired annually on TV in the 80s and 90s, before Disney bought ABC. Our family has a copy from 1986, which also includes my brother's christening as well as the Corazon Aquino/Fernando Marcos "Nightline" appearance from earlier in the year. According to wikipedia, "The Art of Skiing" was cut out of broadcasts starting in 1993, and eventually the hourlong special was reduced simply to "Mickey's Christmas Carol" on its own.

Unfortunately, there have never been any VHS (to my knowledge) or DVD releases of the four shorts together. Usually "Mickey's Christmas Carol" is paired with "Pluto's Christmas Tree" but they haven't yet been paired on home video with "Donald's Snow Fight" or "The Art of Skiing". The list below refers only to DVD, I'm not sure of the VHS releases.

Pluto's Christmas Tree and Mickey's Christmas Carol - both are available in "Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume Two", "Classic Cartoon Favorites, Volume Nine: Classic Holiday Stories", "Walt Disney Animation Collection, Volume Seven: Mickey's Christmas Carol", and the two DVD releases of Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In at the House of Mouse (2001).

Donald's Snow Fight - available in "Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald, Volume Two"

The Art of Skiing - available in Santa Who? (2000), "Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Goofy", and "Classic Cartoon Favorites, Volume Three: Starring Goofy"

In addition, for anyone else interested in Disney's holiday shorts, films, tv specials, etc., check out UD's article as well as checklist:

Disney's Christmas Features

Disney's Christmas Features Checklist

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ariche503

Post by ariche503 »

argh.....so, I'm guessing my hope to get the original broadcast in some format is a lost cause?

Does anyone have the original airing of this in a torrent form in good quality?

So was the A Walt Disney Christmas Gift special ever made on DVD?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

ariche503 wrote:argh.....so, I'm guessing my hope to get the original broadcast in some format is a lost cause?
It's not the original broadcast, and "The Art of Skiing" is replaced with a sneak peek of The Little Mermaid, but I found the 1989 broadcast on youtube:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
ariche503 wrote:So was the A Walt Disney Christmas Gift special ever made on DVD?
Do you mean "A Walt Disney Christmas" or "A Disney Christmas Gift"? Both are different programs, but neither of them are on DVD, just VHS.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ariche503

Post by ariche503 »

I'm hoping someone here comes up with something for me as I hate how Disney continues to disappoint my childhood memories by replacing original shows with new and different ones.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ariche503 wrote:I'm hoping someone here comes up with something for me as I hate how Disney continues to disappoint my childhood memories by replacing original shows with new and different ones.
Yeah most of us if not all of us at UD feel the same way about that...

Espcially with this kinda release that's coming up to DVD

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 26&start=0

...that's when we all get out our facepalm images

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm3.jpg
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx