Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

New, awesome, wonderful, fantastic, splendiferous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious interview with Dame Julie Andrews from Broadway World.com!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/In ... z0uK4UH3Om

Here's some highlights!
PC: What do you think about the rock aesthetic and sound in musical theatre? Scores like CHESS and JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR...

JA: The one feeling that I do have is that, certainly, the rock musicals - particularly, of Lloyd Webber, he pioneered that new sound and it was very valid - but, I'm not as fond of it as I am of the great, more romantic musicals, I have to say.
PC: What's your favorite cast album?

JA: My favorite cast album? Oh, my goodness me! (Theatrical Sigh.) Of all the great musicals?

PC: Yes!

JA: Oh, my! Can I have six?

PC: Whatever you want!

JA: Well, I guess - obviously, this goes for musicals, too - I guess GYPSY. I guess, in terms of cast albums, CANDIDE. I guess WEST SIDE STORY. I guess GUYS & DOLLS. I guess, I have to include MY FAIR LADY in there, too. And one that I absolutely adore - of course - SWEENEY TODD, as well as A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM. (Laughs.) Which just has a special place in my heart.
PC: It is wonderful to see that. What do you think of GLEE?

JA: (Laughs.) I think it's wonderful. I think it is so terrific that we are getting a chance to, you know, air some of these Broadway songs and help children to learn about them. You know, the scary thing is, Pat...

PC: Yes...

JA: I asked one of my daughter's friends in high school, she said that she was studying musical theatre. So, I said to her, "What are you doing?" and she said, "I'm singing and I'm singing some ballads." She mentioned a couple, and I said, "Are you doing any Rodgers & Hammerstein?" and she said, "Who?" and my heart sank!

PC: Wow.

JA: I made a vow then and there that it was my mission in life to keep promoting all the greats because, if one isn't careful they will - I don't think they'll go away, but I do feel a distinct need to help push them forward - but I think GLEE is doing just that.
PC: You should never feel that way. Please tell me: Mary Poppins, Maria or Cinderella, if you had to choose?

JA: Oh, God. I don't want to have to choose! (Laughs.)

PC: But, you have to!

JA: When children ask me what's my favorite, I say to them, "Imagine having ten beautiful new puppies in a basket and you had to say which one is your favorite, and you simply couldn't because you love them all for different reasons." POPPINS was such a learning experience, as was THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I tell you, every one of them just helped me grow in what I do and did and each one was such a phenomenal working experience. Just as I said, the collaboration is what it's all about.
PC: Could you tell me about working on STAR!? It's my favorite musical movie of the 60s.

JA: Oh, yes! Thank you so much for that! I love it, too. It was a lot of hard work at the time. It had so much detail... the sets were period-specific, the wigs for each period, different make-up for each period. It was quite an exhaustive film to do. And I loved working with Michael Kidd who, of course, became a great, great friend of mine.

PC: You never got to meet Gertrude Lawrence herself, did you?

JA: No, I did not. I think, if memory serves, I met her daughter once. I honestly don't recall too much. I actually don't think I did Gertie any favors, the way the script was written and so on. I think it was not as flattering to Gertie as it could have been but it certainly was a wonderful film to make. It gave me so much, you know; there was so much meat in there to work on.

PC: In the commentary for CHICAGO, director Rob Marshall cites STAR! as one of his biggest influences on his film.

JA: Oh, really? I never knew he said that! How lovely!

PC: Putting them side-by-side, it's clear to see. STAR! reinvented the bio-movie-musical in a lot of ways.

JA: I didn't realize that. (Pause.) Wow, you've really done your homework!

PC: No, really, you shepherding STAR! is partially responsible for the comeback of the musical now. It's all there. It's like the biopic musicals of today like RAY, DREAMGIRLS and CADDILAC RECORDS. That's STAR! Thirty years ahead of its time.

JA: It came out at a time when really big budget movies - at that point - were on the decline, on the wane. So, it wasn't that successful. But, over the years, it's become sort of a cult, a collector's item. There have been several re-releases of it. I have hugely fond memories of it. Our directory Bob Wise was, of course, a darling and I loved working with him.
PC: I think it does! So, are ENCHANTED 2 and DESPICABLE US still happening relatively soon?

JA: (Big Laugh). I have no idea, I have no idea!

PC: On IMDB it says both are in-development!

JA: Wait, by ENCHANTED 2 do you mean THE PRINCESS DIARIES sequel?

PC: No, I mean ENCHANTED 2. You provided the narration for ENCHANTED!

JA: Oh, yes, only the very, very beginning of it, really. And the ending. You're right. I did. Yes, they probably are doing that. But, I didn't know about it. So, you're the first to tell me.

PC: So, I broke the news, I broke the story to Dame Andrews herself!

JA: Yes. Yes, you did! (Laughs.)

PC: They aren't scheduled until 2013 anyway. You have time!

JA: That's if I'm asked. Mind you, as a narrator I'm not sure if they'll need me this time. So, from your lips to someone's ears, Pat!

PC: And you need to do a duet with Idina Menzel this time in ENCHANTED 2! Or on GLEE!

JA: (Laughs.) Yes! Oh, my goodness me! (Laughs.)

Best. Interview. EVER!! Please, also read the whole thing. Many, many interesting stories.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Julie got all the way to Round Two in the Glee poll!!!

She's far ahead of all her competition except Adam Lambert! Please, vote!

To do so, you can either follow this link- http://apps.facebook.com/fanappz/poll/vote?id=10071, or the one in my signature!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ I voted for Julie!! I actually think she would be wonderful on Glee!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:^ I voted for Julie!! I actually think she would be wonderful on Glee!
Thanks! Every vote counts!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I saw the interview yesterday! She's always so kind with her answers.

I'm sure they'll put her in GLEE. They just have to! :)
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

tsom wrote:I saw the interview yesterday! She's always so kind with her answers.
It was just such a wonderful interview, wasn't it? I'm still over the moon about it. Too bad it wasn't filmed, but it's still an incredibly engaging interview otherwise.
tsom wrote:I'm sure they'll put her in GLEE. They just have to! :)
Yeah, at this point with both Ryan Murphy and Chris Colfer wanting her on the show, plus with Julie's recent public statements about the show, I think it's only a script (with Julie's approval of course, she's notoriously picky about scripts! :wink:) away from happening. But the polls can't hurt, either!

By the way, tsom, have you gotten a chance to watch the Glee yet? What do you think?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I just listened to Lea Salonga & Co's version of R&H's Cinderella....Julie and the original cast have NOTHING to worry about! Julie is still the definitive R&H Cinderella to me!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I won't lie to you... That interview was simply wonderful! Such a classy dame with a heart of gold and an incredible sense of humor (my kind of woman actually... :p ). It IS sad that people studying music and theater don't know who Rodgers and Hammerstein are, especially since they pretty much owned the musical theater for a long, long time.

I mean, even Wii Music used "Do Re Mi" as its anthem for fun and music, and it's a JAPANESE game!

Seriously, we need more Sound of Music in these here parts... :p
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

carolinakid wrote:I just listened to Lea Salonga & Co's version of R&H's Cinderella....Julie and the original cast have NOTHING to worry about! Julie is still the definitive R&H Cinderella to me!
I've still only seen/heard the Julie and Brandy versions, but I like your thinking, carolinakid!

Julie's no. 1! Julie's no. 1! But I must admit, I wouldn't mind another version of R&H's "Cinderella". I view it and "A Star is Born" is a similar light, that they should be celebrated and reinvented throughout the years.
pap64 wrote:I won't lie to you... That interview was simply wonderful! Such a classy dame with a heart of gold and an incredible sense of humor (my kind of woman actually... :P). It IS sad that people studying music and theater don't know who Rodgers and Hammerstein are, especially since they pretty much owned the musical theater for a long, long time.
Glad to know you read the article! The reason I adored it was because of how different the interviewer's questions were. Most people leave the topics to Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, sometimes My Fair Lady, but this guy talked about Star!?!? Star!?!? That still gets me. So rarely does Julie get to go on the record about many of her films simply because MP and TSOM overpower them. I was fantasizing how great a Private Screenings on TCM with her would be. A nice, juicy two-hour one. That way she could talk about Star!, Darling Lili, Hawaii, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and so on. I wonder if they've ever bothered to request her?

Sorry for that detour. :P
pap64 wrote:I mean, even Wii Music used "Do Re Mi" as its anthem for fun and music, and it's a JAPANESE game!
I must check out this "Wii Music". :wink: That's neat to know, though. Actually, I believe Julie has a big Japanese fanbase. I know one of her unofficial biographies came from there, and I also know she held a big concert in Tokyo years ago. There's a funny story about a Japanese tour bus coming upon Julie when she stolling outside one morning in the '80s(?), and she was exercising her voice by singing "The Sound of Music". She said she thought they must have thought that's all she ever did, walk outside and sing "the hills are alive!".

And my Julie blabber time is over. :P
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Yeah, that's why the interview is great, it truly does ask some interesting questions. I specially like the Enchanted 2 part since she did seemed truly surprised that a sequel was being made (and I confess that I had no idea she was the narrator in the first Enchanted until I read the credits).

Victor Victoria should be given more credit since I think it was a very daring role for her and played it like a champion. Like I said earlier at the hands of uncapable people Victor Victoria would have been one big gay joke, and the idea of Julie Andrews going so low just pains me (yes I know she did Tooth Fairy and Shrek, but she was a lady above all and never stooped low, not even for a joke). So I liked how the movie respected gay life and added a lot of humanity and complexity to what would have been empty, cliched stereotypes (that and the fact that Julie can destroy wine bottles with a high note is too awesome to ignore).

But now I am rambling, my apologies :p .

Regarding Rodgers and Hammerstein and the Japanese comment, when I said that I meant that it's sad that the country that saw the most out of them (including movies and theater plays) doesn't seem to be giving them enough credit when their songs have been encrusted into our minds. As an example, Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob on That Guy With The Glasses) reviewed a blood and gore exploitation film that opens with the first few notes of "My Favorite Things" on an endless loop. Then in another review, Brad said that if he wanted to watch a movie about a rebellious nun he would rather watch "The Sound of Movie" (he was reviewing a nun exploitation film from Italy). Don't forget the fact that in the movie Moulin Rouge the first version of "Spectacular Spectacular" the characters were creating was a parody of "Sound of Music" (complete with Ewan McGregor belting "THE HIIIIIIIIIIILS ARE ALIVE, WITH THE SOUND OF MUUUUUUUUUSIIIIIIIIIIIC" much to the atonement of Nicole Kidman and the rest of the characters).

Long story short it's amazing how the Rodgers and Hammerstein stuff is so amazingly popular and yet very few credit is given to them, especially in the area of musical education (I am a teacher and a firm believer that you should teach beyond what the text books say...along as it's appropriate of course :p ).

Regarding Wii Music, it's a music game designed for the Nintendo Wii. It's gimmick is that it uses the controllers to mimic instruments, and the objective is to just have fun with music. Rather than forcing you to play the song perfectly and according to the game (which is the objective of nearly every game on the market), Wii Music allows you to play any song at your own pace, using your own talents and just plain forget about perfection.

One of the first beginner songs is "Do Re Mi", and in the game it is said that many schools use this song to teach young children the basics of music (this should hint you at what type of music the Japanese use to teach their children). The beauty of the game is that you can play the song using ANY instrument, ANY genre of music and even allows for experimentation. Meaning that you could have a version of Do Re Mi that's very beautiful and moving or extremely silly and non-sensical. It's all in the player's hands as to how they want to interpret the Rodgers and Hammerstein song.

Here are a few examples of what I am talking about...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLvQnvUc-qo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLvQnvUc-qo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-yX_PXo2s7A&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-yX_PXo2s7A&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
(Yes, you CAN use a dog and cat suit to play music. I find this hilarious considering that "My Favorite Things" mentions whiskers on kittens).

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvpsiQIpz-Y&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xvpsiQIpz-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwUM9dMiVMY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwUM9dMiVMY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

See? Same song, very different interpretations. That's what Wii Music is all about.
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks for the videos! They were all very fun, I found myself dancing along with them. I have a Nintendo Wii but I'm very unfamiliar with it. Is Wii Music an internet app or is it a game?

Oh, I forgot to mention Victor/Victoria! It usually get more credit than the other films I previously mentioned, but I agree it still doesn't get quite its share. I think it's easy to forget how revolutionary the film was for '80's audience, and Julie mentions in the commentary for the film how the film was mostly successful in the "really sophisticated cities".

As for Julie and Blake, a better duo could not have been formed (that's also why I think the play flopped. It might have been different had Julie not originated the role on Broadway, but Victoria Grant is Julie- not Liza Minnelli or Raquel Welch). Most of their collaborations with Julie in the lead are rather lackluster but they struck gold on this one. The supporting cast shouldn't be forgotten either. Robert Preston, James Garner, Lesley Anne Warren- all brilliant, as well.

My comments about Julie's Japanese fanbase weren't directly related to your comment about the lack of education about the greats, mainly because I didn't want to address it because I felt my post was already too long, but now I will!

I'm not familiar with either That Guy With the Glasses (well, that's not completely true, I've been on the site once or twice) or Moulin Rouge (haven't much of an interest in seeing it), but the sad reality is TSOM and many great musicals in general are lauded for being saccharine, and simply not taken seriously.

I can understand that TSOM might seem overtly sweet to the most cynical of viewers, but I think the film, if viewed as a whole, is certainly not.

Speaking about musical education- for my personal experience, I am a 15 year old about to enter high school. I live in a fairly rural part of Tennessee, and my dream is to write Broadway plays and musicals (lyrics, not music, I'll get to that). The Drama club was recently cut, so forget that, but the school features a rather large and active chorus club, which I joined.

I think I'm a lot luckier than many people. The first time I logged onto the computer, I was five. The first time I joined a message board, I was ten. Now, not only would my musical education be lacking without the internet community, but so would my general knowledge of the arts and literature, two things I'm incredibly dedicated to.

I'm also lucky because I'm a Julie Andrews fan. Reading her autobiography I was taught about Lerner and Lowe and vaudeville and English pantomimes. Watching the documentary she narrated, Broadway: The American Musical, I learned the whole history of Broadway. All of it! Her movies have educated me, as well, in different aspects. Someday, when I meet Julie, and I plan to, I want her to know that her cause of bringing the arts to younger generations has worked- and I want her to know that I wish to make that my cause someday, too.

Oh, yes, you remember I mentioned writing lyrics only- no music? That's because I can't read music. I wish, wish, wish I could. As a rather independent person, I feel this lack of knowledge handicaps me. In fact, no elementary schools every tried to teach us how to read music.

In middle school, which I recently graduated, the teacher didn't so much want to teach us music, but review it. He was trying to review subjects we hadn't learned. I think he realized/realizes it was hopeless because not a single one of us could tell the difference between a quarter note and eighth note. It also didn't help classes were once a week, and those were often canceled to visit Davy Crockett's birthplace or whatever.

I feel strongly that the arts aren't taught like they should be in schools, and I don't think they are given the resources to, either. As I previously mentioned, I want to be a playwright. And not just any playwright- a big, successful one. :wink:

I've got more tools to do that than some of my classmates, but I still think we all could have been better equipped had we been given a more exhaustive education in music.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Wii Music is a full retail game. You can find it either new or used for very cheap (under 20 bucks if I am not mistaken). The game is very easy to understand and it's made with EVERYONE in mind, not just the experienced game. It's a very fun title and has over 50 songs along with hundreds of instruments.

I can see how TSOM could be seen as too saccharine, but I definitely didn't. Sure it had it's moments of cuteness, whimsy and fun (Do Re Mi, My Favorite Things, The Good Bye Song etc.), but to me at least it's a fairly balanced story that has both moments of great happiness as well as moments of deep sadness. The songs are about all of life's joys and pain, and it's saddening that people see that as being too saccharine (I can think up of far worse stuff, and I am of the mentality that something that is edgy and gritty doesn't make it the best thing ever made (I am looking at you, Sin City!) ).

But still, the movie is fantastic enough that it HAS been engraved into our subconscious one way or the other. Whether people openly admit they love it or consider it a guilty pleasure, the movie (and the songs and the play) is a very important thing in our lives.

Regarding music education, this might be the idealistic and hopeful guy in me, but as long as there's the need to be serenaded via music or entertained by a play musical education to exist through some form. Like you explained, there will always be a community of people interested in people the art form alive. It's a great story and good to know that at an early age to are interested in this sort of thing (because heaven forbid you are a 15 year old and you like something other than Twilight, Miley Cyrus or those other things you whippersnappers enjoy :p ).
ImageImageImageImage

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The Sound of Music isn't my favorite Julie movie, in fact it's not even my second favorite, but no matter how much I love Mary Poppins, I think her more iconic role is Maria, and I think there's a little more Julie in Maria than there is in Mary. But like you were saying, the movie is, in more ways than one, forever printed upon the public's conscious, and we're probably a little better off for it.

And yes, I think we young adolescent art enthusiasts are out there, we're just a very rare breed found in the oddest of places. But we'll be keeping music alive... And away from Miley Cyrus! :P

And I'll definitely have "Wii Music" in mind next time I'm thinking about buying a game.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

New "The Early Show", "Early Coffee" interview.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... owbuzz.com

Pretty tame and mundane, but the last question is an interesting one.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

UmbrellaFish wrote:New "The Early Show", "Early Coffee" interview.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... owbuzz.com

Pretty tame and mundane, but the last question is an interesting one.
I watched the interview this morning. It's so nice to see her out and about and that people still love her to death. It wasn't the most exciting interview, but I'm glad to learn about what she's currently working on. It does make me sad that she said she only has about 5 or 6 base notes, though. But, no matter what, we will always remember this lady's voice and how magical she really is.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Here's how I look at it: My Fair Lady made Julie a star, Mary Poppins made her a legend, and The Sound of Music made her an icon! Honestly, she has to be the luckiest woman on earth! When Julie dies (which is a very sad thought, but it does happen :-( ) the newstations will be filled with her twirling on that Austrian mountain-top. There may be a few clips of her flying with an umbrella, but it's Maria that definitely cemented Julie's status.

As for The Sound of Music, I think most people forget there's more to it after Maria & Georg get married.

And I finally did see Glee...well, season one part one! My cousin came over for Fourth of July weekend and brought the DVD. I'm looking for part two online to watch for free, but I think I'll wait till FOX airs it. If you know where I can find it, then please share!!! Oh, and I love it! It's a very clever show. I had "Don't Stop Believing" stuck in my head for days! :-D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

tsom wrote:Here's how I look at it: My Fair Lady made Julie a star, Mary Poppins made her a legend, and The Sound of Music made her an icon! Honestly, she has to be the luckiest woman on earth! When Julie dies (which is a very sad thought, but it does happen :-( ) the newstations will be filled with her twirling on that Austrian mountain-top. There may be a few clips of her flying with an umbrella, but it's Maria that definitely cemented Julie's status.
I agree, but I don't think Eliza made Julie a star. Maybe a Broadway star, and certainly now, a Broadway legend, but if Julie had really been a star I think she would have been Eliza in Cukor's MFL.
tsom wrote:And I finally did see Glee...well, season one part one! My cousin came over for Fourth of July weekend and brought the DVD. I'm looking for part two online to watch for free, but I think I'll wait till FOX airs it. If you know where I can find it, then please share!!! Oh, and I love it! It's a very clever show. I had "Don't Stop Believing" stuck in my head for days! :-D
Check your inbox...
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

That's true. It did make her a B-way star! Oh, and there's also Cinderella, but that should have been proof that she is photogenic! I kinda see why Jack Warner didn't cast her though. It would have been a great risk. It's kind of like how if there'll be a Wicked movie, Idina & Kristin won't be Elphaba & Glinda.

Sometimes, I do wonder how the world would be different if Julie had done the My Fair Lady film in addition to Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. I also wonder how the world would be different if she had also won the Oscar for Sound of Music. Ah well...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I think the problem with Cinderella was, despite it garnering the highest viewing ratings up to that point, it was television which was at the very lowest of the pyramid. But you're right, it did show she was photogenic, very photogenic!

I wonder what it would be like, too, if Julie had been Eliza. I think the film would garner even better praise than it does now (many theatre fans and Julie fans are perhaps too begrudging towards the film because of the casting decision. I can be too, sometimes.). I also think that Julie wouldn't have been as type-casted as she became throughout her career. She would have been offered meatier roles because the perception of MFL, which is just a Shavian play set to music, is different from the perception of TSOM, which was already discussed.

I can't say whether or not I think Julie deserved the Oscar for TSOM over Julie Christie, because I haven't seen Darling, but I have heard it said that part of the reason Julie didn't win is because of what happened years earlier with Luise Rainer winning the award two years, back-to-back, which if true, is a shame. Maria is certainly one of the most iconic performances- ever.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

But if Julie had been cast and filming My Fair Lady, would Walt have been able to cast her in Mary Poppins? I mean, would he have waited til she was through with Lady or gone ahead and cast someone else?