Kim Possible (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
KennethE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KennethE »

A while back, (around 2004 or 2005) I heard a story circulating around the web that Bob Schooley and Mark McCorkle, the two creators of Kim Possible, were actually planning a live action version of their popular animated series. From what I've heard, their plans were rudely halted when someone in upper management had them write "Sky High" instead, in order to jump on the superheros genre bandwagon.

I was a bit disappointed when I heard that there was no longer going to be a Kim Possible live action film. Does anybody know details about Schooley/McCorkle's plans? Does anybody still want to see a KP movie?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

All I really remember hearing (aside from what you've already said) was that the So the Drama movie sorta satisfied them when they couldn't make the live action film. A lot of the die-hard fans are fighting for a fifth season, but I don't see that happening.

I think it would be really interesting to see a live-action version though, and would be totally worth it if they did a merchandise tie-in with DVD box sets of the series like they should have released ages ago. ;)

I do miss seeing the show on TV . . .
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Haha, I actually thought about posting this very thread yesterday, but I never did.

To add to what enigmawing said, So the Drama was originally written as a live-action movie and considering the quality of the final animated product, it could easily have worked as one.

I think of all the animated series out there, I think Kim Possible could adapt very well into live-action form. My ideal cast and director would actually be:

Kim - AnnaSophia Robb
Ron - Freddie Highmore (just die his hair blond)
Dr Drakken - Tony Hale
Shego - Emily Blunt
Monkey First - Liam Neeson
Kim's Parents - Gary Cole and Jean Smart
Jim and Tim Possible - Max Records
Director: Joe Dante or Jason Reitman
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I'm a big fan of KP, but I wouldn't want to see a live-action version of my favorite animated heroes. I've seen live-action versions of Tintin and Lucky Luke. It just never works. Animated characters can't be captured in live-action. 'So the Drama' was a worthy end to the show, to me. The last season wasn't even really necessary. They had better stopped at their peak.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Kim Possible would've been the easiest [animated Disney Channel show] to adapt into a live action movie, as Rufus is probably the only character that would need to be CGI, and everything else would just be actors. I just don't see it happening (I must admit, I'd love to have seen Ricardo Montalban in the flesh as Señor Senior Sr., but thats a missed opportunity). If anything, they would make it a live action TV movie (much in the same vein as the Ben 10 crap).

I think at this point they need to concentrate on getting this series out on Blu-ray and DVD in season boxsets (currently only Germany is doing this). You'd think with Disney's push for Blu that they would be keen on getting some of these popular animated series that were completely produced in HD widescreen out on Blu-ray.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I don't even have a player yet but I'd definitely pick up season sets if they were offered on Blu-ray.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I would have loved it, and I still would, though I think it's less likely now, but as with Sailor Moon, I have very specific ideas of what a live-action Kim should be like, and I'd be very annoyed if I didn't like the casting. For a very brief period, I think Lindsay Lohan would have been perfect (aside from her raspy voice), I'm talking around when she did Mean Girls and Herbie, and was really beautiful with a great head of Kim Possible hair, but now I can't think of any obvious choices. I'm sure someone great could be found, but I'm also sure they'd cast Miley Cyrus or someone like that. I think less attention would be paid to finding someone perfect for the role and more to selecting someone they aleady have in their stable and want to push some more. I don't want to see Demi Lovato as Kim Possible, nor the fake blonde from Jonas (I do adore the brunette girl on Jonas, but I don't see her as Kim either).
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Well..it wouldn't be too farfetched.....Cartoon Network has converted Ben 10 into a Live Action TV Movie....twice.....

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-10-Race-Again ... 536&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Alien-Swarm-R ... 536&sr=1-2

If it was done in a style similair to this I would approve.....although I know some people don't like Ben 10 franchise I think its very interesting.....somewhat original.....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Well..it wouldn't be too farfetched.....Cartoon Network has converted Ben 10 into a Live Action TV Movie....twice.....

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-10-Race-Again ... 536&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Alien-Swarm-R ... 536&sr=1-2

If it was done in a style similair to this I would approve.....although I know some people don't like Ben 10 franchise I think its very interesting.....somewhat original.....
The Ben 10 cartoons are decent, but those live action movies suck. It's just like what Goliath said. Most animated series or movies do not translate well into live action. Sailor Moon prove this, Dragonball the movie prove it, this Ben 10 did as well and Kim Possible would too.

I like Kim Possible, it's simple and down to earth without having to whore it out. To me it works well just like the disney afternoon cartoons. I also met the designer of the Kim Possible series characters. He cool fellow and I got autograph from him.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Super Aurora wrote: The Ben 10 cartoons are decent, but those live action movies suck. It's just like what Goliath said. Most animated series or movies do not translate well into live action. Sailor Moon prove this, Dragonball the movie prove it, this Ben 10 did as well and Kim Possible would too.
I don't think those really prove that. All they prove is that it doesn't work to do it half-assed, not that I didn't like what little of the live-action show I have seen, but some changes would have made it a lot better. I liked what was done right and didn't like what wasn't. If they had done it all right, it would have been great (One thing I didn't like was Luna being a toy; should have been done like Binx in Hocus Pocus, though that may have been hard on a TV budget, but could have been done like Salem at least). As for the Ben 10 movies, I haven't seen them yet, though I do own the first one. Anyway, even if it was true that only some cartoons could be translated well to live-action (which I don't agree with), I think Kim Possible would be one with the best chance. As someone mentioned, Rufus is the most cartoony thing about it.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Yeah DragonBall Evolution was terrible.....as in not true to the story at all.....fun fighting flick but.....not faithful to original one....

despite that it has a sequel planned....and there are rumors that production will start sometime in 2010 for Dragonball 2....... :roll:

http://digg.com/movies/Dragonball_Evolu ... ng_in_2010

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=13465

My thoughts were if Kim Possible Live Action movie were made for TV it could be similair into the fighting and portrayal of the Ben 10 TV Live Action Films.....now if Kim Possible were to hit theaters obviously they would need to take it up a notch than the TV Live Flicks of Ben 10.....

I always thought a spin-off for Kim Possible would be cool...about Kim In the Future like in The Sitch In Time Animated Movie.....what adventures would Kim and Ron have outta High School...or years years later....they are grown up or something.....that would be intersting....but then again why mess try to fix a good thing :P

slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

It's always a good way to keep a show going though. But, only if you get the same creators, as they tried it with Gargoyles and it was inferior. They tried it with Sabrina the Animated Series too, but I never got to see that spin-off much. Seems to be working for Ben 10 though. I have to admit, I have never watched a full episode of Ben 10. It looks okay though, and actually, the live-action movies look decent, especially for being made for TV. They did that live-action Scooby prequel too, and some aspects I think were better than the bigscreen movies. It had some big problems though, of course (TOO stoner-stupid Shaggy portrayal, dark-haired Fred, not hot enough Daphne, ha).
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

slave2moonlight wrote:
I don't think those really prove that. All they prove is that it doesn't work to do it half-assed, not that I didn't like what little of the live-action show I have seen, but some changes would have made it a lot better.

Anyway, even if it was true that only some cartoons could be translated well to live-action (which I don't agree with), I think Kim Possible would be one with the best chance. As someone mentioned, Rufus is the most cartoony thing about it.
Toei didn't put a half-assed attempt on Sailor Moon live action series. The promoted the hell out of it to point where they took away it's anime and manga franchise so the live action shined. It still failed.

If Kim Possible became a live action, I would have hard time watching Dr. Dracken with a straight face or Ron doing something wacky. I'd probably face palm.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Super Aurora wrote:Toei didn't put a half-assed attempt on Sailor Moon live action series. The promoted the hell out of it to point where they took away it's anime and manga franchise so the live action shined. It still failed.
Just because they promoted the hell out of it doesn't mean the production itself wasn't half-assed. They obviously had a budget to work with and the series just looked bad IMO (yes, they never should have made Luna a stuffed animal, they even hid it as a "surprise" in the initial promos because it looked so bad). Plus the reason they felt they had to put away the other versions and make the live-action show the only one available was in order to give it a fighting chance . . . because it had no chance to outshine the anime or manga unless it had the public's complete focus as the solely existing Sailor Moon universe.

If they wanted to do a new take on the story for TV, they should have had a bigger budget for the show itself (and not just the advertizing) or they should have done more animation. :roll:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

enigmawing wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:Toei didn't put a half-assed attempt on Sailor Moon live action series. The promoted the hell out of it to point where they took away it's anime and manga franchise so the live action shined. It still failed.
Just because they promoted the hell out of it doesn't mean the production itself wasn't half-assed. They obviously had a budget to work with and the series just looked bad IMO (yes, they never should have made Luna a stuffed animal, they even hid it as a "surprise" in the initial promos because it looked so bad). Plus the reason they felt they had to put away the other versions and make the live-action show the only one available was in order to give it a fighting chance . . . because it had no chance to outshine the anime or manga unless it had the public's complete focus as the solely existing Sailor Moon universe.

If they wanted to do a new take on the story for TV, they should have had a bigger budget for the show itself (and not just the advertizing) or they should have done more animation. :roll:

True. What I'm trying say is that usually when big advertisement is invested on something, it usually means or shows that they put a lot into making it great yet still fail.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Super Aurora wrote:True. What I'm trying say is that usually when big advertisement is invested on something, it usually means or shows that they put a lot into making it great yet still fail.
You seriously think that?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

slave2moonlight wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:True. What I'm trying say is that usually when big advertisement is invested on something, it usually means or shows that they put a lot into making it great yet still fail.
You seriously think that?

Here's an example that proves Super Aurora's point is very true

Will Ferrel in The Land of the Lost

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

While The Hangover came out that same day and made much more money at the box office and dind't have as much money poured into advertising compared to Land of the Lost....

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's remaking their animated TV shows in live-action now. :lol:
The Disney Channel is developing a live-action movie version of the beloved cartoon series “Kim Possible.” Casting has begun on the project, which follows the titular hero, a typical high school girl who saves the world from evil villains with the help of her sidekick Ron Stoppable, his naked mole-rat Rufus, and computer genius Wade.

The original series launched in 2002 and ran for 87 episodes, and was nominated for an Emmy in 2003 for outstanding animated program. It also inspired two animated Disney Channel movies, “Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama” and “Kim Possible: A Stitch in Time.” Christy Carlson-Romano voiced Kim in the series, with Will Friedle voicing Ron.

The live-action movie script will be written by the series’ creators Mark McCorkle and Robert Schooley, who will also executive produce. Josh Cagan will also write, with Zanne Devine also serving as executive producers. The movie will be co-directed and co-produced by Adam B. Stein and Zach Lipovsky.

“Mark and Bob created an enduring character and kids all over the world found a friend in her, an average girl who just happens to spend her off-school hours thwarting evil villains,” said Adam Bonnett, executive vice president, original programming for Disney Channels Worldwide. “Although Kim Possible ‘can do anything,’ kids and tweens found that this animated redhead was just like them. As we embark on the fun challenge of making Kim and Ron fully dimensional, I’m thrilled to be working again with Mark and Bob and to welcome the addition of a dynamic creative team – Josh, Zanne, Adam and Zach – into a world where anything is indeed possible.”
Source: http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kim-pos ... 202689978/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Kim Possible (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I always loved this show. This could be exciting if it's well-done. Hope they don't cast someone from their usual staple of Disney Channel stars.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Kim Possible (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyEra »

She may be a little too young Christy :lol: