All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Is anyone here interested in seeing Avatar? I had read a little about it, but I just watched the trailer, and it looks really good- enough so that I wrote it's release date (Dec. 18th) into my planner (it's rare for me to go to the theater, especially for a non-Disney film) . Many of my favorite non-Disney films are big epic movies, and I've been wanting to find more big epic movies, and Avatar seems to fit the bill.

The official website is http://www.avatarmovie.com .
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it and will probably see it in 3-D (I'm still debating about IMAX). James Cameron is a fantastic filmmaker and I am disappointed I've never seen any of his films on the big screen and this will be my first. :)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I'm of two minds... the hype seems to be really great, but I've been fairly underwhelmed by the CGI I've seen so far. The aliens are supposed to look real, right? I mean, they're not supposed to look like CGI, correct? Because I keep finding them weirdly artificial.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

I definitely plan to see this in IMAX 3D. I'm one of those scifi guys who has been buying into the hype and I've been loving everything I've seen so far (well, except for the first teaser trailer, that was underwhelming.... and that bizzare, family-friendly trailer, isn't this supposed to be a hard PG-13?). I cannot wait! :D

SpringHeel - The aliens of Avatar are meant to be seen in 3D. The hype is not so much about the realism of the CGI, but more the realism of the 3D. Cameron's created a whole new system for filming in 3D and should this film prove to be a success, 3D will take on a whole new dimension, pun intended. ;)

Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Cheers,
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The first time I saw the Avatar teaser, I was alos under-whelmed by the look of the aliens, but the more I watched it and the newer trailer, I really started to notice the little details in the CGI and how break-through it is.
blackcauldron85

Just Myself wrote:I definitely plan to see this in IMAX 3D.
May I ask where? Is there a real IMAX (not a fake normal-sized IMAX screen) in Central Florida? You may have mentioned it before...but, uh, I forget. Thanks! :)

I was geeking out earlier today reading past interviews with James Cameron about the film, and even just the fact that he started it so long ago (in the mid-nineties) and only now is it able to come out...it's all facinating to me.
blackcauldron85

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to make sure that people see this if they want to:

I watched it earlier but couldn't re-find the link until now. If you've already read spoilers, then this is no big deal (it's not really spoilerish), but it is a few minutes of the movie. If you want to know what the scene is, highlight: Jake fighting a couple beasts. It looks absolutely amazing:

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/11/a ... p-new.html
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Just Myself wrote:I definitely plan to see this in IMAX 3D.
May I ask where? Is there a real IMAX (not a fake normal-sized IMAX screen) in Central Florida? You may have mentioned it before...but, uh, I forget. Thanks! :)

I was geeking out earlier today reading past interviews with James Cameron about the film, and even just the fact that he started it so long ago (in the mid-nineties) and only now is it able to come out...it's all facinating to me.
The only "real" real IMAX is Pointe Orlando next to WonderWorks, but the AMC Altamonte has a really good "fake" IMAX screen for less money per ticket and a shorter drive. It is a much bigger screen than Waterford Lakes, and the sound system is phenomenal. Hope this helps Amy! :)

Cheers,
Cheers,
blackcauldron85

Just Myself wrote: The only "real" real IMAX is Pointe Orlando next to WonderWorks, but the AMC Altamonte has a really good "fake" IMAX screen for less money per ticket and a shorter drive. It is a much bigger screen than Waterford Lakes, and the sound system is phenomenal. Hope this helps Amy! :)

Cheers,
Thank you! :pink: I must've seen the Jonas Brothers 3D movie at Waterford, I think, since that was basically a normal-sized screen. I just went on Pointe Orlando's website: IMAX is $15, and then for 3D movies, there's an additional $3.50 fee- so to see an IMAX 3D movie, it costs $18.50?!?!?! I think I need my parents to send me my Christmas money early this year... :lol:

Altamonte says $10 + $4 for IMAX + $3 for 3D = $17. Wow. Matinees are $8, though, so $15. Even just for a 3D non-IMAX film, it'd be $11-$13. I'm used to paying $6.50 at the regular theater. With the 3 movies I need to see this year, it'll cost between $28.50 and $40.50. Wow.

I'm totally overtaking this thread with babble. Sorry. :)
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Altamonte's IMAX doesn't charge an extra cost for 3D. Evening shows are $14, matinee's $12 and any show before noon is $10. I can confirm this to be true, since I just saw A Christmas Carol over there on Friday in IMAX 3D. As listed, Regal's IMAX theaters do tack on the extra cost for 3D. Why, you ask? I don't really know (but I'll speculate it's because they're the greediest theater chain in existance :roll: ).

I think I remember your post on the Jonas Brothers 3D movie, I believe you did go to Waterford. I used a Regal readmission pass there over the summer to see Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - what a waste of a perfectly good pass. Their IMAX screen is a joke, those theaters were never meant to be IMAX-equipped, they're far too small. I guess the best part of all that was the fact that Regal normally doesn't accept readmissions for IMAX but the lady who sold me my ticket accepted it anyways, saying "It's not much of an IMAX theater anyway". :lol:

Cheers,
Cheers,
Kossage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kossage »

The film looks interesting, and I'm sure both Cameron and James Horner (the composer) will deliver an interesting experience. I look forward to seeing the film and hearing the score eventually. :)
Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart.
blackcauldron85

Any IMAX film before noon is $10 at Altamonte? And how much smaller (not in feet or anything, but like "quite smaller" to "only a little smaller") is their screen vs. a real IMAX screen? It's a worthwhile IMAX experience, in your opinion?

And, um, to stay on topic (since this has become the Central Florida IMAX theater discussion thread), the 4-minute clip was taken down- I was on the website earlier and noticed it, so if you wanted to see it, hopefully you did!
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Any IMAX film before noon is $10 at Altamonte? And how much smaller (not in feet or anything, but like "quite smaller" to "only a little smaller") is their screen vs. a real IMAX screen? It's a worthwhile IMAX experience, in your opinion?
Do know that the movie wasn't shot with the IMAX process, so maybe a screening on a bigger screen wouldn't look as good as on a smaller one. Or a real IMAX movie, for that matter.
blackcauldron85

I didn't know that...hmm. I guess that would make me (and my wallet) feel better about just seeing it in non-IMAX 3D, I guess. Thanks!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, this may be different since it's rendered in 3D, but it wasn't until I read a collumn that I heard that a lot of "enhancements" are applied to IMAX upscaled releases.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Any IMAX film before noon is $10 at Altamonte? And how much smaller (not in feet or anything, but like "quite smaller" to "only a little smaller") is their screen vs. a real IMAX screen? It's a worthwhile IMAX experience, in your opinion?
Only a little smaller. Altamonte's screen is a little bit shorter than Pointe Orlando's, but just as wide, and honestly their sound system runs laps around Pointe Orlando's. I'd say it's a very worthwhile IMAX experience, and for a film like Avatar, catching that before-noon showtime at Altamonte's IMAX would be a better, cheaper experience than seeing it in regular 3D. ;)

Ahem, anyway.... sorry to derail the thread so much. 29 days until Avatar! :) :)

Cheers,
Cheers,
blackcauldron85

Just Myself wrote: and for a film like Avatar, catching that before-noon showtime at Altamonte's IMAX would be a better, cheaper experience than seeing it in regular 3D. ;)
I think that you sold me on Altamonte! :thumb:
blackcauldron85

Who else is excited for Avatar tomorrow?!? I am so excited! I'll be seeing it in IMAX 3D at 11:30am!!!! :pink:

There was I guess a quote from an interview (or two) on Wikipedia saying that the effects made some people feel nautious and that you shouldn't eat before seeing the film- that sounds amazing to me! :p
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

Honestly, this movie just hasn't struck me as anything "special" yet. I'm amazed by all the hype. I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to see it, and I love fantasy and a lot of sci-fi. The CGI is too CGI though, and I haven't heard enough of a story to make it intrigue me. It's kind of like with that Burton film, "Nine". From the trailers, it just didn't seem like it would be able to get me to care about the characters or story enough. I'll wait for DVD. Anyway, I still need to go see Princess and the Frog. Been too broke.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

It's like "Apocalypto" meets "The Wizard of Oz" starring Smurfs!
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"