Question about the Walt Disney Treasures

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Question about the Walt Disney Treasures

Post by jlppr »

for someone who has never seen any of the live-action shows, i.e- Spin and Marty, Davy Crockett, Legendary Heroes, Hardy Boys, Zorro and the others, how good would you say these sets are? i'm actually thinking about expanding my WDT collection to include all the sets but i've never seen any of these shows. are they well worth it? is there any way i can preview these sets before buying them? i was also curious about the Tomorrowland, Your Host, Walt Disney sets. basically i'm interested in all the sets. i already own the cartoon sets and Behind the Scenes and i love them all
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

Like the shorts themselves, some are better than others. This is mainly due to the tastes of the individual and not the discs themselves. Tomorrowland, Your Host, and Zorro are held in high regard by the vast majority. Scarecrow and Davy Crockett are good adventure shows and are presented in their entirety. Swamp Fox/Elfego Baca were cut in half... each, unfortunately.

You could probably see some excerpts on youtube if you searched for them.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

thatartguy wrote: Swamp Fox/Elfego Baca were cut in half... each, unfortunately.
Another one that isn't in its entirety is The Mickey Mouse Club. It's just a few selected shows. And, Hardy Boys is just the first storyline, not the second one - the Ghost Farm could make another good future WDT set.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Barbossa wrote:Another one that isn't in its entirety is The Mickey Mouse Club.
The Mickey Mouse Club set wasn't a few select shows, it was the entire first week. To release it in season sets would be virtually impossible due to the high disc count it would require. The first two season had 5 hour long episodes per week and the third season had 5 half-hour episodes per week.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

goofystitch wrote:
Barbossa wrote:Another one that isn't in its entirety is The Mickey Mouse Club.
The Mickey Mouse Club set wasn't a few select shows, it was the entire first week. To release it in season sets would be virtually impossible due to the high disc count it would require. The first two season had 5 hour long episodes per week and the third season had 5 half-hour episodes per week.
That's a lot. :o

Not only high disc count but it would be extremely expensive to purchase the entire series. That's like taking the Zorro sets, doubling the length of the episodes (for the first two seasons of the MMC) and multiplying that by 5 since it ran 5 day a week. We're talking 5+ WDT volumes for season 1 alone. It wouldn't be worth Disney's time or money releasing such a set.
Last edited by The_Iceflash on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

thatartguy wrote:Like the shorts themselves, some are better than others. This is mainly due to the tastes of the individual and not the discs themselves. Tomorrowland, Your Host, and Zorro are held in high regard by the vast majority. Scarecrow and Davy Crockett are good adventure shows and are presented in their entirety. Swamp Fox/Elfego Baca were cut in half... each, unfortunately.

You could probably see some excerpts on youtube if you searched for them.

thanks, i think i will start be getting these sets, i will start with spin and marty most likely and work my way from there if i enjoy the first. the zorro sets have caught my attention a little. not sure yet about getting those though
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

If you like Walt Disney's adventure movies of the 50's and 60's, you'll like the TV shows. But like anything, all are not created equal.

Zorro is marvelous and has aged very well - - if you like Season One, you'll like Season Two.

Dr. Syn is awesome.

Davy Crockett is also enjoyable, but you can try the 2-movie set which is less expensive - - then go for the hour shows if you like it.

(I like Swamp Fox too, but the Treasures set is incomplete)

Your Host Walt Disney and Tomorrowland are simply great vintage Disney by any measure, as are the Disneyland shows.

As for the MMC serials, I personally like Annette the best.

(IMHO, Zorro is far superior to Spin and Marty and a better place to start)
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

i may just take your advice on that actually and get the zorro sets first before they sell out and i'll have to pay a much higher price. thanks for your input. i did enjoy a clip of spin and marty on youtube so if zorro is superior than i should like it as well
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

^yup, start with Zorro because of the low edition numbers. Then, if you can find it, try and track down Scarecrow (Dr. Syn).

Another hard one to get now is the Disneyland set that came out two years ago.
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

i've already noticed that the disneyland is hard to find because of the price i'm seeing it in. i get paid this week so i'm likely to get the zorro season one first then work my way to season two if i like the first enough to continue the series.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

Ill add my two cents here.

Start with Zorro. Your idea about getting season 1 first is good to see if you enjoy it. Im VERY sure you will. Im surprised actually how much I like it. Before now I had just seen an episode here and there and its aweseome and SO MUCH more enjoyable to be able to watch the story lines develop over the different episodes...as they would originally have been seen.

Next get Annette from the last wave. Its already sold out on Amazon.com but you can still find it for a pretty good deal on ebay or at your local FYE. It was released in a very low production number just like Zorro.

Next get on Amazon.com or Walmart.com and buy up the sets you want that they still have in stock. They are still at pretty reasonable prices and it would be good to secure these titles before you have to resort to the high prices of the second hand market.

After that THE REAL Treasure hunt starts when you have to find some of the titles that are out of print for a decent price on the second hand market. Its very possible to still find some great deals but some volumes you have to just expect you will have to fork over more money then you have for any other sets.

On thing I can say about the Treasures ....is that each volume is just that....a treasure. Im pretty confident you will enjoy each installment and feel I can recommend each to you without worry you wont enjoy the material you will be getting .....dispite the higher price of some sets.

Best of luck to you in your search and as you get your volumes keep us updated if you would on your thoughts of each volume. I know I would be interested to hear. :)

Happy Treasure Huntinig! ;)
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

thank you very much, very good advice. unfortunately with the Treasures i have learned that some sets will be a bit more... i had to pay more for the Silly Symphonies and The Complete Goofy, but it was worth the money. my collection wouldn't be complete without them, and now i'm thinking about these and and saying the same thing. i will keep you updated, thanks for your interest. first up, Zorro. i'll be purchasing it by the end of the week through amazon. i'm excited now to see what i feel about them. can't wait.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

I've got them all (this year's Zorro not yet, though), even though I grew up in the wrong time and place to know much of the live-action material before buying the DVDs. If you can appreciate 1950s material in general and the history of Disney in particular I'd easily recommend you get all of the Treasures. 8)
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

i remember trying to watch some of these as a kid in my family's house but i didn't like them then, but i also hated most b&w shows. as i grew older though i started to appreciate classic shows. and i've seen the behind the scenes set and i loved it which got to me to think that perhaps some of these other shows were good as well. i keep looking at the sales and clips from youtube and i have enjoyed those that i have watched. when i get my first set of zorro i'll take a much better look
not2foul

Post by not2foul »

Hey there, I was like you and was only going to collect the ones that had anything to do with animation. Than back after wave 6 when they were saying it was finished, I realised what a gold mine of classic stuff was released and decided to back track and get all the ones I missed. By the time the last one arrived in the mail, they had announced it would be continuing!!!

I'm so glad I got them, and the most expensive one was Davy Crockett, I think I paid about $50 for a good second hand one, which I was happy about.

A site that I have used a lot over the past two years to get some stuff is secondspin.com. They do get the treasures from time to time (in fact they have Disneyland U.S.A. for $23.99 at the moment, which I love) and the quality is good considering its second hand. They also have weekly specials like 30% off at the moment, and other really good deals.

They are also very helpful if you aren't happy with something. I live in Australia, and I had a couple of issues with discs, and they sent me new ones, no questions asked, but on the whole very good.

Anyway, I hope you can get them all, as it is the best series of dvd's released, and its always good to have a complete collection, for history sake!!!!

Good luck, Greg
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

the most expensive one for has been the Complete Goofy so far i had to pay about $80 for the set. i had been searching for over a year for a cheaper se and it was happening so i just finally bought it before i lost out on it for good. after though i have learned about different websites that probably had them for cheaper but i'm just happy i got them. and thanks for the link, i've never heard of it before but i will definitely be looking there.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

The only live-action Treasures tin I have at the moment is "Annette". I'm a huge Annette fan so had to have it!

Really glad I managed to buy it before it went out-of-stock at Amazon - I ummed and ah'ed over it for weeks before I finally decided to grab it - and the week after it shipped, Amazon officially ran out of copies. So I was especially glad I'd managed to get it. :D

It's a lovely series, full of familiar Disney faces; and so very charming.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
jlppr
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jlppr »

you got very lucky with that purchase. i would've been happy as well. it was similar to what happened with me and my brother. at the time my our mom was a member of the disney movie club so we decided to order a few WDT sets. my brother ordered himself the goofy which was in stock at that time. two minutes later i tried and it told me they were unable to process my order because there were no more copies. it seems like brother got the last one. he was extremely happy