The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which is your favorite PatF character?

Princess Tiana
27%
Prince Naveen
11%
Dr. Facilier
19%
Mama Odie
4%
Eudora & James (Tiana's parents)
1%
Charlotte La Bouff
18%
Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff (Charlotte's father)
1%
Ray (the firefly)
8%
Louis (the alligator)
11%
Other (say which)
2%

Total votes: 177

Want2beBelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Want2beBelle »

Margos wrote:
Want2beBelle wrote: Thanks that's what i'm trying to say, now only how it happens also how it looks like... It's a special moment and rather see it when it comes out ..just my 2 cent...i'm sure others feel the same...i'm not the only one who said something or felt this way...
Well, yeah. Okay, I guess you guys have a pretty good point there. I guess it's just odd for me (since I've read and seen every spoiler thateveryone has posted so far) to imagine that people still really don'tknow. Sorry, guys!
But just to clarify, the thing that I noticed and whited out in my post, I never would have noticed if I wasn't specifically looking for it...

And yes, great video, Old Fish Tale! I also love the look of the "Almost There" sequence, it's very interesting! And "Friends on the Other Side" sounds better with every snippet I hear!
I don't read all spoilers like u do, so i wouldn't know what is going to happen, just an fyi...anyway let's move on.. It's fine
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

The film was pushed to Dec, 11th right? wasn't it suppose to come out the Nov. 25th?
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Poody wrote:So here it is. A doll of Tiana's friend Charlotte. Personally, I don't think it looks anything like her. She needs her big poofy dress too! Still buying it though.... :lol:

If I saw this doll I'd probably buy her in a heartbeat...simply because she's so different than any other Disney doll...plus I think the outfit is beautiful. :)
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

Matt wrote:The film was pushed to Dec, 11th right? wasn't it suppose to come out the Nov. 25th?
Nov. 25th is the limited release in LA and New York while the movie opens everywhere Dec 11th. I'm not sure if the movie was ever going to be released earlier than that, but I hope this helps :)
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

ColorsOfTheWind wrote:
Matt wrote:The film was pushed to Dec, 11th right? wasn't it suppose to come out the Nov. 25th?
Nov. 25th is the limited release in LA and New York while the movie opens everywhere Dec 11th. I'm not sure if the movie was ever going to be released earlier than that, but I hope this helps :)
Does "everywhere" mean internationally? :? :)

My DVD Collection :
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

The original release was Christmas Day, and the pulled it forward to December 11.
Want2beBelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Want2beBelle »

thanks for the video how cuteee!!! :)
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

Cordy_Biddle wrote:
ColorsOfTheWind wrote: Nov. 25th is the limited release in LA and New York while the movie opens everywhere Dec 11th. I'm not sure if the movie was ever going to be released earlier than that, but I hope this helps :)
Not for australia it doesnt :roll:

Dang thats the first time I ever thought a doll was nice looking. She's so damn anorexic! (and theres nothing wrong with that on a doll ppl)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I voted for Tiana as my favorite character from the movie, but I've gotta add that Naveen seems to be my favorite prince so far. He's got personality! :D

I can't tell you how excited I am to see this movie! It's been far too long since I've seen a DAC in the theater of this caliber.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Given how every little detail about the film ends up in this thread (well, the past two threads too), thought I'd point out that BBFC recently passed the film and it runs 97 minutes.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

Cordy_Biddle wrote:
ColorsOfTheWind wrote: Nov. 25th is the limited release in LA and New York while the movie opens everywhere Dec 11th. I'm not sure if the movie was ever going to be released earlier than that, but I hope this helps :)
Sorry I wasn't clearer on that, I meant in the United States. I'm not sure about release dates in other countries :)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

On the topic of international releases, I hope the Puertorican premiere is on the same day as the American release. A Christmas Carol had a simultaneous release with the US, so I hope the same thing happens with Princess and the Frog.
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I hadn't voted in the poll, so I figured that I should. I voted for Naveen. Since the beginning (of seeing clips), I've really liked him. He's funny and charming! But, I also like the other characters that we've gotten to know a bit, too; without having seen the movie, it's of course hard to say, I guess, but from everything I've seen, I have to go with Naveen.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I haven't voted yet, but I'd say Tiana is so far my favorite.

I like the fact she is not a cookie cutter heroine. She's not looking to be saved by a knight in shining armor. She is not waiting for a prince to sweep her off her feet. She could careless about love and men. She is a modern day young woman who wants to earn her own keep, not be spoon fed. Her best friend is the richest girl in town and I have a feeling all Tiana had to do was ask for some money and Charlotte and her dad would give it to her, and I bet in the past, they offered and she turned them down. She wants to earn it herself. She doesn't kiss Naveen for love, she does it for money, which is actually a pretty interesting concept for a fairytale and Disney movie. Where as kissing was always reserved for the end of the movie or at the most romantic scene, here, its used as a tool to get what they both want. Even as Naveen falls in love with Tiana, her mind is still on her dream of a restaurant. She doesn't realize she can have her dream and a man to share it with. She is one of the most multi-dimensional Disney main characters in recent years. And really, one of the most realistic. I admire her as a character for all those traits.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Siren wrote:I haven't voted yet, but I'd say Tiana is so far my favorite.

I like the fact she is not a cookie cutter heroine. She's not looking to be saved by a knight in shining armor. She is not waiting for a prince to sweep her off her feet. She could careless about love and men. She is a modern day young woman who wants to earn her own keep, not be spoon fed. Her best friend is the richest girl in town and I have a feeling all Tiana had to do was ask for some money and Charlotte and her dad would give it to her, and I bet in the past, they offered and she turned them down. She wants to earn it herself. She doesn't kiss Naveen for love, she does it for money, which is actually a pretty interesting concept for a fairytale and Disney movie. Where as kissing was always reserved for the end of the movie or at the most romantic scene, here, its used as a tool to get what they both want. Even as Naveen falls in love with Tiana, her mind is still on her dream of a restaurant. She doesn't realize she can have her dream and a man to share it with. She is one of the most multi-dimensional Disney main characters in recent years. And really, one of the most realistic. I admire her as a character for all those traits.
:clap: Couldn't have said it better myself, Siren!
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Well said, Siren! :)

My DVD Collection :
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Siren wrote:I haven't voted yet, but I'd say Tiana is so far my favorite.

And this, my friends, is why Princess and the Frog is a winner on my book. John Musker and Ron Clemens could have easily borrowed traits from other princesses and called it a day. True, she does resemble Disney's most active heroines (Belle, Pocahontas, Mulan etc.), but her character is very original, and its something that gives the film some depth.

Prince Naveen is also a very well written character according to what I have seen and heard. He is very charismatic, but also very flawed. He is spoiled, but not wicked like the Beast in Beauty and the Beast. He enjoys live, but at the cost of his responsibility as Prince. He is very ignorant and naive, but has wisdom when it comes to enjoying life.

Its why I love Tiana and Naveen as a Disney couple. You have two completely different characters that are forced into a predicament, and learn to appreciate life thanks to each other. Naveen learns that while its important to have fun it is also important to work and have responsibilities, while Tiana learns that its OK to work hard for a dream but that its also OK to take a break, have fun and enjoy life.

It's fantastic if you ask me.
ImageImageImageImage

Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Wow, thanks all :D

And another point about Naveen and Tiana with spoilers....
When Naveen and Tiana are dancing and he goes to kiss her, Tiana shoves him away. He is suppose to be marrying Charlotte. Tiana is loyal to her friend and wants to him be loyal too. Which is why I think she doesn't realize she has feelings for him for quite a while, because he's already taken in her mind. And being a logical girl, there is no sense in even taking it any further than friendship. Seeing a Disney heroine push the prince away is again, something new with Disney. Usually the first kiss is adorable and/or romantic. Like Lady and the Tramp and Beauty and the Beast. Their first kiss, she shoves him off and rejects him. Naveen realizes, she can't be won with a fancy smile, his accent, and a kiss. He's use to girls falling for him. Frankly, he has a Gaston-complex. Just as Gaston was infatuated with the one girl who didn't care for him, so is Naveen. Its at first shocking to them and then becomes a conquest. For Naveen, the conquest part is short because he falls in love with her. For Gaston, it never ends because he is in lust with Belle. Naveen also is probably a lot like Prince Adam before he became a beast, minus the cruelty. But both are spoiled and expects everything they demand to happen for them at a moment's notice. Our of a lot of the Disney heroes, I think Naveen can best be compared to Prince Adam/Beast as a character who grows. Aladdin, Hercules, etc, other than a few missteps (Aladdin not freeing Genie as promised/Herc thinking being a great hero means doing a good deed here and there), where as Naveen really changes. He is lazy at the beginning. Rather sing and dance, or lay about. Not work for himself. Mad because his parents cut him off, so he figures he'll find a rich wife, so he doesn't have to work. In the end, he fall in love with a poor cook and learns working for a living is better than getting handouts because you earned what you get and that brings lifetime satisfaction.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Those are all excellent points, Siren! And the spoiler was an interesting thing to note, as well....

But yeah, I very much like the "odd-couple" style pairing. They're the last two people on Earth that you think could ever fall in love with one another, and yet.... :)
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

ColorsOfTheWind wrote:
Yeah from what I read earlier, it was gonna be the soundtrack Nov, 24th and the movie release was Nov, 25th. Unless it was always Dec, 11th. Oh well lol, I can wait a little longer. I am def going to see it though. :)