Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Happy Birhtday Deko King
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Deco King wrote:I do know that a lot of readers are a great deal younger than me and have zero interest in the movies of the 1930's.
False.

It Happened One Night, Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Snow White... all 30's movies I like and I'm 22.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Happy Birhtday Deko King
Happy Birthday! :) :)
Deco King wrote:
I do know that a lot of readers are a great deal younger than me and have zero interest in the movies of the 1930's.

False.

It Happened One Night, Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Snow White... all 30's movies I like and I'm 22.
Everyone likes different things. That's why this board is so active, because of the diversity of opinion and preference. Personally I love classic movies but I don't expect everyone else--even those who grew up in the era, surprisingly--to like them too. Variety is the spice of life. :)
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

its like my late Grandfather who died 17 years ago use to tell people...it's a good thing we didn't all like the same woman other wise we would be in trouble.... :P

Edit:

Happy Birthday Deko King
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

disneyboy20022 wrote:its like my late Grandfather who died 17 years ago use to tell people...it's a good thing we didn't all like the same woman other wise we would be in trouble.... :P
LOL :D

My DVD Collection :
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Happy Birthday Deco King! :party:

Wish we could fashion a deco crown to match your name!
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Thanks to you all for Happy Birthday greetings, I had a good if not vintage one , as I was working in my Art Deco shop!!

Sorry if I sounded patronising about Joan Crawford , I guess that if you're looking at a movie forum like this one not having heard of Crawford is rather unlikely!
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

PrincePhillipFan wrote:I thought it was wonderfully sweet with the idea they had been meeting in secret, with Snow being startled later in the courtyard when he appears for fear of the Queen seeing them together after she forbade them.
The Queen & the Prince had been meeting in secret, or he and Verona had, or he and Snow White had?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
PrincePhillipFan wrote:I thought it was wonderfully sweet with the idea they had been meeting in secret, with Snow being startled later in the courtyard when he appears for fear of the Queen seeing them together after she forbade them.
The Queen & the Prince had been meeting in secret, or he and Verona had, or he and Snow White had?
Sorry, meant to say the Prince and Snow. He comes to meet her in the courtyard a few times, and later after the Queen forbids them from seeing one another in the castle again, they meet in secret outside the castle grounds.
-Tim
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

:o Scandalous! I love it! I have to see if my library has this book! :) Thanks, Tim!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I was wandering around B&N and saw that book, I wanted to get it so bad but I also NEEDED to get Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'll just have to wait till Friday for my paycheck now. I'm glad to see that someone else likes it, now I'm pretty sure I wont be disappointed.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Unless Walt Disney approved of the backstory, it can't be the official backstory for the Queen.

You can wish it was, and to you it can be, but it can't officially be the true backstory to Walt Disney's Evil Queen unless Walt Disney made/approved it, of course!

I wanted to say, thinking about how the film has this beautiful girl who the audience cares for because she is so kind, so pure, so good, and so innocent, and her death is like the death of innocence, believing, and goodness, and then the wonderful, almost speechless, mostly orchestral, heavenly ending, this film is just so very good, without needing the extra stuff of modern movies today, that some people think movies should have.

And like I said it's so much like Beauty and the Beast. There's a villain who is very beautiful, but she is shown to be very evil and a monster by the end of the film, but the beautiful heroine looks past the monstrous exterior to be kind to even this creature.

But then she recieves poison for it, until later rewarded with a kiss of true love giving her life and happily ever after back.

Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film nominated for the Best Picture academy award.

But Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won a special academy award and seven tiny ones. And it made it into the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", along with Pinocchio.

This film...it's pure amazing magic, and a masterpiece, still to this day, and ever after.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Re: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Disney Villain »

I'm currently reading Fairest of All, by Serena Valentino, and the book is amazing. You could imagine how excited I was when I first heard of the book. Apparently she is planning to write more books that journey into the past of the Villains. Words really cannot express how truly excited I am about the book. It's amazing
Disney Duster wrote:Unless Walt Disney approved of the backstory, it can't be the official backstory for the Queen.

You can wish it was, and to you it can be, but it can't officially be the true backstory to Walt Disney's Evil Queen unless Walt Disney made/approved it, of course!
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I have to disagree. Serena Valentino worked hard with Disney archivists and Disney Press to make sure every last detail was true to the original film. This is The Wicked Queen's official back story, and I'm very sorry if you feel otherwise. The book is amazing; all the characters stay true to who they are from the original film, and every last detail, including the new characters, fit perfectly into the universe of the original film.

You don't even know if Walt intended to have a back story for the Evil Queen. Even if he didn't think the characters needed a back story, does it really matter? The author of this book states, on her official web site, that she worked together with Disney to make sure her story was as official and true to the film as possible. Disney considers this The Wicked Queen's official back story. Disney published the book, and gave their characters to the author to create a wonderful back story. So it would seem that Disney has every intention of this being canon. It's not like the book 'Mirror, Mirror' by the 'Wicked' Author. This book uses the actual Disney characters and was created by Disney and Serena Valentino.

(Disney Duster, you're one of my favorites here on UD, lol. I don't mean to start an argument =p. You have your opinion, I have mine. I don't want to bicker about it, because we're just going to end up in a circle. :D)

I cannot urge you all enough to pick up a copy of this book! It is truly amazing. I can't wait to finish it.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

since I might be out traveling worldwide when Snow white gets released stateside i might get this book...so that way when I get back I can watch snow white and maybe fill in some plotholes..

Honestly I have not seen snow white and truly understood it from a plot standpoint other on that level other than Dopey and Grumpy are funny and who are your favorite 7 dwarfs....I think I might put my copy of the 2000 release and watch it tomorrow.....

I have been looking for books to read on the airplane....note to self pick up percy jacksons....btw I am going to get this book tomorrow at barnes and noble since I am going out of town
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney Villain, I like you very much too, but also, I cannot let you tell me I can't explain something I feel is important, and I can't stand by Walt's characters getting changed without him even being alive.

First, many books have been published by Disney that do not stay true to the story. There are actually even some kid's storybooks that say incorrect information about the stories from the films. Yet they are officially published by Disney.

Think of the "My Side of the Story" books. Those are officially published by Disney. Do you consider them what the characters were officially thinking, intending, or doing? No.

Just because a book is published by Disney, does not mean that's what they officially think.

The first Tinker Bell book, "Tinker Bell: Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg" is not how the first Tinker Bell film goes exactly. In fact, Disney decided to call Tinker Bell a fairy and her dust fairy dust, already changing the original film's pixie and pixie dust.

It doesn't matter if this time it seems they got all the info that is in the film right. For instance, Tim said that Snow White and the Prince had met many times before. Aside from destroying Walt Disney's idea that true love can happen meeting the first time (something established for sure in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty), it also doesn't make sense. In the film, Snow White sings "I'm wishing for the one I love to find me today" and the Prince sings "Now that I found you..." It is obvious they have just found each other for the first time. According to this new book he already found her before this scene and would from then on know where she was, in the castle. The book changes Walt Disney's film and characters, and not just in that way, but with the backstory itself. The Queen especially is changed. She can't be pure evil and vain and perhaps enchanting the mirror herself anymore, which would only make sense since she knew witchcraft herself in the film... She's changed to a sad and lonely character, and yea she could have been that underneath all that evil anger, but we don't officially know from her film and her creator. She's changed to a sympathetic character, anyway. That's still a change.

Either way, this will still not be the official story for Walt Disney's Evil Queen, because Walt Disney did not make or approve of this for the character. It's just not his Evil Queen, cause he didn't make or approve it for his Evil Queen.

It is more like a "what if", and alternate imagination that is quite enjoyable and hey, maybe that is how it happened, but it's not officially true.

It is indeed like "Wicked" is to The Wizard of Oz. A new guy made a backstory to a dead guy's character. People with sense watch The Wizard of Oz and still know the Wicked Witch of the West is supposed to be wicked and evil in that film.

I was also pretty aghast at your thinking Pixar is Disney now, but I still don't know your stance on if Pixar should be Disney or not. Don't you think that's wrong? Walt Disney may have done a lot of things, but would he have made the work of another studio his? NEVER. And of course, he never did. Pixar and Disney are seperate, and for now even Disney seems to acknowledge this. I am just fearing what will happen with Pixar's new princess character, hopefully she never becomes a Disney Princess, because that would be a lie. She's a Pixar princess. But whether that happens or not, I want to know if you think Pixar should be seperate from Disney, the right thing.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Disney Duster wrote:Disney Villain, I like you very much too, but also, I cannot let you tell me I can't explain something I feel is important, and I can't stand by Walt's characters getting changed without him even being alive.

First, many books have been published by Disney that do not stay true to the story. There are actually even some kid's storybooks that say incorrect information about the stories.

Think of the "My Side of the Story" books. Those are officially published by Disney. Do you consider them what the characters were officially thinking, intending, or doing? No.

Just because a book is published by Disney, does not mean that's what they officially think.

The first Tinker Bell book, "Tinker Bell: Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg" is not how the first Tinker Bell film goes exactly. In fact, Disney decided to call Tinker Bell a fairy and her dust fairy dust, already changing the original film's pixie and pixie dust.

It doesn't matter if this time it seems they got all the info that is in the film right. For instance, Tim said that Snow White and the Prince had met many times before. Aside from destroying Walt Disney's idea that true love can happen meeting the first time (something established for sure in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty), but it also doesn't make sense. Snow White sings "I'm wishing for the one I love to find me today" and the Prince sings "Now that I found you..." It is obvious they have jsut found each other for the first time. According to this new book he already found her before this scene and would from then on know where she was, in the castle. The book changes Walt Disney's film and characters, and not just in that way, but with the backstory itself. The Queen especially is changed. She can't be pure evil and vain and perhaps enchanting the mirror herself anymore, which would only make sense since she knew witchcraft herself in the film... She's changed to a sad and lonely character, and yea she could have been underneath all that evil anger, but we don't officially know from the film and creator. She's changed to a sympathetic character, anyway. That's still a change.

Either way, this will still not be the official story for Walt Disney's Evil Queen, because Walt Disney did not make or approve of this for the character. It's just not his Evil Queen, cause he didn't make or approve it for his Evil Queen.

It is more like a "what if", and alternate imagination that is quite enjoyable and hey, maybe that is how it happened, but it's not officially true.

It is indeed like "Wicked" is to The Wizard of Oz. A new guy made a backstory to a dead guy's character. People with sense watch The Wizard of Oz and still know tha Wicked Witch of the West is supposed to be wicked and evil in that film.

I was also pretty aghast at your thinking Pixar is Disney now, but I still don't know your stance on if Pixar should be Disney or not. Don't you think that's wrong? Disney may have done a lot of things, but would he have made the work of another studio his? NEVER. And of course, he never did. Pixar and Disney are seperate, and for now even Disney seems to acknowledge this. I am just fearing what will happen with Pixar's new princess character, hopefully she never becomes a Disney Princess, because that would be a lie. She's a Pixar princess. But whether that happens or not, I want to know if you think Pixar should be seperate from Disney, the right thing.
It is indeed like "Wicked" is to The Wizard of Oz. A new guy made a backstory to a dead guy's character. People with sense watch The Wizard of Oz and still know tha Wicked Witch of the West is supposed to be wicked and evil in that film.
That idea really doesn't do anything for me, because I felt that Maguire's "Wicked" was more in tone with Baum's "Oz" than the MGM movie could ever hope to be.

My DVD Collection :
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Cordy, it's clear that McGuire was making his Elphaba be like both Baum's and MGM's witch, describing her in ways and having her do things that only either Baum's witch did or only MGM's witch did.

Either way, he still made a book about the backstory of some dead guy's character without said dead guy's approval or any knowledge of what would be her backstory from said dead guy.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Disney Duster wrote:Well Cordy, it's clear that McGuire was making his Elphaba be like both Baum's and MGM's witch, describing her in ways and having her do things that only either Baum's witch did or only MGM's witch did.

Either way, he still made a book about the backstory of some dead guy's character without said dead guy's approval or any knowledge of what would be her backstory from said dead guy.
As have the rest of the authors who took up Baum's OZ series after his death.

My DVD Collection :
Dragonlion
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dragonlion »

Don't scold me if I'm repeating something since I'm too lazy to read 11 pages, but does anyone else think that Snow White comes off a little too innocent for a 14-year-old? I mean that might have been just her personality, but I mean come on..

Also, until this forum (or maybe even those very few knowledgeable people on Youtube) I was never really sure of Snow's age.

Just wanted to let that out....
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Disney Duster wrote:Beauty and the Beast was the only animated film nominated for the Best Picture academy award.
Because it was released in a weak year, and Eisner lobbied heavily for it, and people absolutely loved The Little Mermaid and Roger Rabbit. It lost because the acting branch is the largest "clique" among Academy voters, and they rallied to actor's director Jonathon Demme, and Foster and Hopkins. Beauty never had a chance, it was lucky to even be nominated. There's a lot of talk about UP getting a nod this year. With 10 films receiving nominations this year, I think UP is a shoe-in as the 2nd animated feature to receive a Best Picture nomination, and the 1st CGI film to receive a Best Picture nod (up yours, Dreamworks). Disney's going to have a lock on two statistics - first hand drawn film to earn a Best Picture nomination, and first CGI film to earn a Best Picture nomination.

Still don't think UP will win, because the actor's branch will again rally to a film that celebrates and promotes the importance of actors. This is all politics, never be fooled into thinking the Academy Awards are anything other than a highly political public relations event.
But Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs won a special academy award and seven tiny ones.
The award was an apology. It wasn't given until 1939, Snow White was released in 1937. The film was snubbed in every category, except Best Score, and it lost. It is astonishing to look back and see that Snow White's brilliant songs failed to win a single nomination. The film became the most acclaimed film of the year, and the highest grossing film of all time. So, to correct their goof, in 1939, the Academy gave the film that unique Oscar. It was an apology.
And it made it into the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", along with Pinocchio.

Beauty and the Beast is in the NFR, also. As is Fantasia. Don't remember if Dumbo or Bambi or Sleeping Beauty are there. They should be, and I predict they will be some day. The Living Desert and Seal Island were early NFR entries, not to mention Steamboat Willie.
This film...it's pure amazing magic, and a masterpiece, still to this day, and ever after.
It's great. The film still works after all this time. Sad thing is, Snow White works best with a large audience, as do most of Walt's films.