Disney Treasures

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Nelson

Disney Treasures

Post by Nelson »

Hello Everyone :)

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Nelson and I just became a member here at UltimateDisney.com, as I'm a member the the Toon Zone website as a part of the "Termite Terrace Trading Post" that discusses classic theatrical animation from Hollywood's golden age.I'm currently studying to become a film historian and I have a pretty good knowledge when it comes to classic cartoons.

Like all the rest of you Disney fans, I am looking foward to May 18th 2004 when wave 3 of the Disney Treasures are "FINALLY" released and that date can't get here soon enough.The one Treasure collection that is at the top of my want list is "ON THE FRONT LINES" which will include every single wartime cartoon ever to be released by the Disney Studios and you don't know on how important it is to Disney with this release and I'll explain why.

For many of years, Disney has been the butt of jokes when it came to releasing their classic cartoon shorts being censored on home video, many fans have gotten tired of it, while Turner did release their classic MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons uncut and uncensored.Times have since changed and the tables have been reversed and now Disney has all the advantages over the folks at Time Warner and Disney is releasing their cartoons on the Treasures set uncut and wait to you see the OTFL collection.

Although the WW2 Disney cartoons don't stand up to the excellent WW2 cartoons made by Warner Bros. but the Disney cartoons to hold up on their own and are must see.Regarding classic cartoons that feature stereotypes and how they are deemed racist and offensive, I think that these cartoons have every right to been shown today in their proper historical context, as these cartoons(along with Warners, MGM, Terrytoons, Paramount, Columbia, and Universal) that contained ethnic stereotypes should not be ingored by any means.

True to form, I wouldn't want to offend anyone by these Politcally incorrect cartoons, but I wouldn't want these classics to be buired either.

So what does anyone else thinks?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The one Treasure collection that is at the top of my want list is "ON THE FRONT LINES" which will include every single wartime cartoon ever to be released by the Disney Studios and you don't know on how important it is to Disney with this release and I'll explain why.
The set does not include every wartime cartoon, only a selection. Most of the missing cartoons are Army Information films.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

2099net wrote:
The one Treasure collection that is at the top of my want list is "ON THE FRONT LINES" which will include every single wartime cartoon ever to be released by the Disney Studios and you don't know on how important it is to Disney with this release and I'll explain why.
The set does not include every wartime cartoon, only a selection. Most of the missing cartoons are Army Information films.
So what's missing exactly? And do you know if Commando Duck is there?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Welcome to the forum, Nelson! It's nice to have someone like you, with such sharp writing skills and expertise on classic cartoons, among our little community! Welcome! :)

I agree with your assessment of Disney releasing the controversial wartime shorts and feature. It is commendable that Disney is not pretending like they were never made, as they seem to be doing with Song of the South.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Class316 wrote:
2099net wrote: The set does not include every wartime cartoon, only a selection. Most of the missing cartoons are Army Information films.
So what's missing exactly? And do you know if Commando Duck is there?
Well it depends on what you mean by wartime cartoons. If you mean cartoons that were released in the theater, then yes, the probably all are on there.

This site has a page that lists the contents of the set http://www.ultimatedisney.com/treasures.html and Commando Duck is included.

However, there are many more training films made by Disney for the govenment which are not included. From information about sexually transmitted diseases, to warning against gossip. Check out http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Walt_Disne ... index.html for more information.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

Whatsup Nelson, my TTP bretheren.

Welcome to the forums.

:)

PS - Happy belated birthday!
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

There are many cartoons from the Wartimes that Disney is not releasing in the Treasures. Not only training, but also educational and even entertainment. A couple examples:

-HOOKWORM, with the Character of Careless Charlie. Fortunately I have a copy of this short film. It is awesome.
-REASON AND EMOTION. This has the most interesting caricature of Hitler himself. Is that why it won't be released? It even includes a shot of a "mental" CONCENTRATION CAMP. Too bad I won't have it on DVD, I'll stick to the vhs copy I have.

There are so many that we won't get. And unfortunately I dont think Disney will release a Volume 2 of them. I will treasure this set coming out on May 18, though. JUST CAN'T WAIT!
Sanctuary! Please, give me Sanctuary!
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

'Reason & Emotion' will be included on the Front Lines set..
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

yep, Reason & Emotion is there!!! Wonder why Hookworm isn't.
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

HONESTLY,
I am very happy about that. The 2 lists that I checked didn't include REASON AND EMOTION, so u guys have given me the good news of the day. It's such a good cartoon!!!!

Thank u!!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Nelson, welcome aboard... look forward to posting with you. :) I agree with you and Luke, and hope that the decision to not ignore potential controversy holds in the future (fully realizing that this will not likely be the case).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

Is there any possibility that the other war shorts will be realeased?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

We need to understand the different categories of "wartime shorts". What do we mean by "wartime shorts" and what do we think we're missing?

I suppose wartime shorts doesn't mean all of Disney's shorts made during WWII, but rather those with a pretty much war-related theme. Some of you mentioned specific titles that seem to be missing. However, without checking the details here and now, I think all WWII-themed "theatrical" shorts are included. I'd guess the government-paid "propaganda" shorts (about war bonds and the necessity of paying one's taxes and so on) are there as well. Those two categories cover the best-known titles.

Then there are various army instruction and other instruction films. Far from all of these are included. I'd say there were about a hundred of these and some of them are included. One could argue that most of them are of somewhat limited interest and appeal and it's only fair that they didn't try to include them all. They may all be in the public domain as they were paid for by the government. A lot of them could even be missing for all I know. I'll just be happy to see the ones included in the set.

I might be wrong on some details here, but I think this is the general picture.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Luke wrote:Welcome to the forum, Nelson! It's nice to have someone like you, with such sharp writing skills and expertise on classic cartoons, among our little community! Welcome! :)

I agree with your assessment of Disney releasing the controversial wartime shorts and feature. It is commendable that Disney is not pretending like they were never made, as they seem to be doing with Song of the South.
Thanks everyone for the very warm reception and I'll know I'll have a wonderful time here.

I have been lurking around for the past week, before I became a member and I must admit, that I'm kinda surprised with some very little negative reactions towards the upcoming ON THE FRONT LINES collection.For those who may not know, that in my first post and that this set just alone, is going to be the "biggest" collection that the Disney Company has ever released to the public and many of the ww2 shorts will have not been seen by the public since their original theatrical release over sixty years ago.

I for one, never imagined that such ww2 themed shorts as "DER FUEHER'S FACE", "EDUCATION FOR DEATH" "REASON AND EMOTION" and "COMMANDO DUCK" would ever see the light of day on either television or home video for that matter, but with the great folks over at Disney, we all should be very greatful that we'll get to see such a great collection of classic cartoons, not just to be entertained with laughter, but to also learn what our country was like, going through a horrible world war and how much these cartoons made an impact to boost moral and support among Amercians and the great troops that fought and served during world war 2.
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit for President 2004
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I did forget to mention that if anybody has asked or wondered that because of the delay of wave 3 of the Disney Treasures will cause wave 4 to be released in 2005.From what very reliable sources have told me that wave 4 is still scheduled to be released this December 2004 and that the delay on wave 3 will not cause a 2004 release date for wave 4.
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit for President 2004
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

I believe that Leonard Maltin confirmed the next wave of Treasures for 2004.

:}
Class316
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Class316 »

STASHONE wrote:I believe that Leonard Maltin confirmed the next wave of Treasures for 2004.

:}
Now that Roy is gone I sure hope they won't be censored
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

Nelson,
I am with you. I am still in awe, after knowing that the strongest war-related cartoons will be released this year. It was unimaginable to me. I am getting two copies of this dvd, in case the first one gets burnt by watching it so much.

About the next Trasures wave, it surprises me that they will be released this year, and still no comment about the content. Maybe they dont want to say it so that this information doesn't eclipse the sells ratings for this May Treasures wave.

Still, I wonder... What's in the chest next time?
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

Welcome, Nelson. Great to have another genuine Disney fan as part of this growing Community here :thumb:

I am in complete agreement with you in regards to On the Front Lines. Not only is it my most anticipated Disney release ever (and I do mean ever), but I fully expect it to be my most treasured of the Treasures AND would not be surprised if it wound up being my favorite of any Disney release.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Welcome Aboard

Post by Disney Guru »

Yes welome Aboard Nelson!

The Ultimate Disney Boat is about to set sail!

So get on with a friend!

We are going where fun and magic never ends!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~