Disney Movie Club DVD Exclusives

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

They also released The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad with an exclusive slipcover like they did for James and the Giant Peach.

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

jrboy wrote:Image
Hercules in Collectible DVD Tin
So this means that a new edition is coming out soon, right? Because they did the special tin for the 1-disc Lilo & Stitch DVD!!! Is it time to sell our Gold Collection discs?!?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

blackcauldron85 wrote:So this means that a new edition is coming out soon, right? Because they did the special tin for the 1-disc Lilo & Stitch DVD!!! Is it time to sell our Gold Collection discs?!?
I wish! I think the Lilo & Stitch tin was planned before WDSHE decided to finally release the 2-disc set that had been sitting there for years. They did a tin case for Chicken Little and I doubt that a rerelease is already in the works for that film.

I think the main reason for offering films in exclusive tins is to entice people who don't already own them and were on the fence about picking them up. And of course, if they can get a few people to repurchase them, that doesn't hurt either. It seems like Disney has really been pushing the current Hercules DVD. They modified the package art to include DMR points and have included it in lot of sales. I think that the only way Disney will give it a better DVD is if they also bring it to Blu-Ray, which might not be that far off now that they are releasing non-Platinum/Diamond/new release DAC's on that format.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

It's time for them to release some new exclusives, preferably some live-action.

I haven't ordered anything new from DMC in months.
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

skippy wrote:It's time for them to release some new exclusives, preferably some live-action.

Amen!

I haven't ordered anything since I fulfilled my commitment and achieved VIP status. They really need to delve further into their live-action cataloque and start accelerating the exclusives release schedule!

Darby
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Darby wrote:
skippy wrote:It's time for them to release some new exclusives, preferably some live-action.

Amen!

I haven't ordered anything since I fulfilled my commitment and achieved VIP status. They really need to delve further into their live-action cataloque and start accelerating the exclusives release schedule!

Darby
I too would love more exclusive titles, but I'm wondering if the lack of exclusives recently isn't because of the decline in home video sales? After all, I'm sure DMC has taken a hit and they did get a little overzealous with how quickly they were releasing exclusive titles. For a while, it was two a month, sometimes more during the months that Zorro volumes were released. Over the course of 4 years, they've released more than 70 exclusive titles.

Also, Disney is in the process of setting up an online subscription service where, for a monthly fee, you can watch as many Disney movies as you want. I'm sure they want to have some exclusive titles as part of that service, so that may be another explanation for the two consecutive months of no exclusive films.

They may have also simply slowed down to stretch the exclusive titles out more, so they have some guaranteed income later on. In terms of theatrically released films, there aren't too many films left unreleased.

1.) The Sword and the Rose
2.) Westward Ho! The Wagons
3.) The Light in the Forrest (non-educational version)
4.) Tonka
5.) The Sign of Zorro
6.) Ten Who Dared
7.) Almost Angels
8.) Emil and the Detectives
9.) Run, Cougar, Run
10.) Charley and the Angel
11.) The Bears and I
12.) One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing
13.) Amy
14.) Meet the Deedles
15.) Doug's 1st Movie

Beyond that, there is lots of television content, but not much of it is memorable enough to sell well. I would say the two biggies that Disney has in their cannon are The Horsemasters and Child of Glass.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

DMC has released several unknown episodes from the WWoD tv series as exclusives. I think they should continue this with some of the better ones like The Waltz King, Prince and the Pauper, Escapade In Florence, and the aforementioned Horsemasters among other lesser known titles.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

goofystich:

I'm sure it does have to do with factors such the slowdown of home video sales and the creation of an online subscription service and perhaps we were a bit spoiled with the pace of the exclusives, but a majority of the DMC exclusives have been bare-bones releases of mediocre video and audio quality at best, so how much time and effort does in really take for Disney to release them with very little marketing via a non-retail conduit like DMC? I loved the fact that they had been releasing some great stuff from their live-action catalogue (some type of release was better than none at all) and, in fact, that is the sole reason why I joined DMC in the first place. It's just that when they start releasing The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad with a new slipcover and Hercules with a collectible tin as "exclusives", it feels like we are hitting the bottom of the barrel....

On a more upbeat note, I do hope they eventually get around to releasing the 15 films you mentioned.

Cheers,
Darby
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

gardener14 wrote:DMC has released several unknown episodes from the WWoD tv series as exclusives. I think they should continue this with some of the better ones like The Waltz King, Prince and the Pauper, Escapade In Florence, and the aforementioned Horsemasters among other lesser known titles.
gardener14:

I would love to see those 4 titles and others like them released!

Darby
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Ten Who Dared coming 10/20!!!

I was browsing around Disney's home entertainment site and noticed that they put something on the release schedule for October 20th. Walt Disney's 1960 adventure film Ten Who Dared will make it's DVD debut as a DMC Exclusive. The page lists it as being in fullscreen, so hopefully that is open matte.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

I would prefer to see:

Sammy the Way-Out Seal (Billy Mumy/Robert Culp)
The Prince and the Pauper (Guy Williams)
The Horsemasters (Annette and Tommy)
Escapade in Florence (Annette and Tommy)
The Sign of Zorro (Guy Williams)
Zorro the Avenger (Guy Williams)
The Light in the Forest (James MacArthur)
The Sword and the Rose (Richard Todd)
Moseby's Marauders/Willie and the Yank (Kurt Russell, James MacArthur)
Charley and the Angel (Fred MacMurray, Kurt Russell)
Child of Glass
Moochie of the Little League (Kevin Corcoran)
Moochie of Pop Warner Football (Kevin Corcoran)
Johnny Shiloh (Kevin Corcoran)
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

That's GREAT news.

I'm buying it! (Now where have I heard that before?)
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Ten Who Dared coming is great news indeed!
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Kuzcochick over at Mice Chat posted a photo they took at the D23 Expo of the upcoming Sleeping Beauty book set. The lady told me this is coming "next month" so I'm expecting it on October 20th with Ten Who Dared.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

goofystitch wrote:Ten Who Dared coming 10/20!!!

I was browsing around Disney's home entertainment site and noticed that they put something on the release schedule for October 20th. Walt Disney's 1960 adventure film Ten Who Dared will make it's DVD debut as a DMC Exclusive. The page lists it as being in fullscreen, so hopefully that is open matte.
Awesome. Now if only they'd get off their a$$es and release The Sword and the Rose, Westward Ho, The Wagons! (in 16:9 widescreen), and The Light in the Forest.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

For those of you who haven't seen this "Masterpiece", there is a scene with Brian Keith and a snake that defies all logic.

Very much a lacy collar moment.
feedmelinguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by feedmelinguini »

gardener14 wrote:Ten Who Dared coming is great news indeed!
Have you actually SEEN this film?

(Just kidding.... I am grateful it is coming out, if only that the last few theatrical films will get a release, but it is REALLY painful to view.)

-Lon (who still doesn't miss an opportunity to "diss" this film!)
Hennie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hennie »

goofystitch wrote:They also released The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad with an exclusive slipcover like they did for James and the Giant Peach.

When they did they this release?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Hennie wrote:When they did they this release?
It came out Tuesday. I ordered it that day and it was already on back order, but I'll be sure to post pictures of it when it arrives.
Hennie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hennie »

Thanks for the quick answer!!
Hope it appears on ebay though.