Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Duster: I admit I didn't really read all of your post. Just saying that if we are going to judge the princesses based on their looks then it would be harder to say which is prettier since they all come from different eras, artists and animation techniques.

Plus I believe the reason Snow White was the fairest of them all was NOT because she was pretty. It was because she was a fair and lovely person, something the queen never understood.

Grimhilde was indeed more beautiful than Snow White, but he was nasty, vain and greedy. Snow was kind, lovely and practical.

Of course this is common knowledge by now.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh no, what I worried about is true, people don't always read it all...

Oh, well, I'm glad you were honest! But don't feel bad, I don't always read everything everyone says either unless I am making a reply to what they said.

You do have valid points, and you are right Snow White may look a little funky because of inexperienced animators and whatnot, but for all the points I listed, she's also not supposed to be the prettiest girl there can be.

I do wonder yet again if you read something I said, that I HAVE wondered for a while if the reason she was fairest of them all really was because of her kindness and how lovely she was on the inside.

And yes, I forgot, even the Queen could actually be called more beautiful. I think you said "he" when you meant to say "she", by the way!

And so, we can remain fairest of them all forever in the hearts of our lovers...but judging by pictures, Amy, her husband, and pap will be pretty and cute on the outside perhaps forever anyway!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Snow White was drawn in the style of the times--I've always felt she looked a lot like Deanna Durbin (the operatic singing film star who unsuccessfully auditioned for the voice of Snow White).

She's also--I believe--the youngest of the Disney princesses so that could be influencing her look as well.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

A comparision, leading from my post above:

Deanna Durbin (circa the "Snow White" production period):

compared with the final Snow White:

My DVD Collection :
Disney Duster

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey, you didn't read all I said either, mentioning how her age could have something to do with it! (Snow's 14 in once early script, Cinderella's 18, Aurora's 16).

Oh come on, there must have been stars and people regarder more hot than her back in the day! Or maybe even if we would say others back then were more attractive, most people who lived back then would still say she was more attractive than who we would find so today.

Your picture of Snow White proved to myself even more what I thought. Her profile looks rather ordinary, though still somehow lovely, I guess in her eyes, lips, and hair. I'm glad she's just as cute as most little girls but painted pretty and clearly kind.

Oh, and I forgot, she's also the chubbiest princess...that was part of her times, but we also know with children comes baby fat. I think Snow White's pretty good for little girls. She is one right down to her innocence, defenselessness, and looks, and not being too pretty or too thin is great so they don't have to worry about being those things.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Of course there were people considered "hotter" - Greta Garbo for example (although you'll still say she looks somewhat "normal" in these photos) but also remember, Garbo was incredibly "racy" for the time. I'm pretty sure some of Garbo's films fell foul of the Hayes code (basically the MPAA of its day) due to their raunchiness.

I don't think you'd be seeing Disney take such glamour models as inspiration for what was supposed to be an innocent child-woman.

You'd be better off comparing such actresses with the Queen, and I do think the Queen has a lot of similarities to the Glamour stars of the time (both on screen and in pin-ups)

Check out this pin-up here
and not the shape of the face, jaw and cheekbones, the make-up and the eyebrows.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

I presume ( as there was for Sleeping Beauty before it ) that there will be a newly digitally remastered CD of the Original Soundtrack of Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs?

Hopefully , as I have mentioned in other posts , it will contain a more complete soundtrack with the whole of the Witch's flight up the mountainside and death scene which was suddenly excised from the previous OST!
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Somewhere in this or another form there is mention of a 70th Anniversary Snow White Exhibit from 2007 in which drawing was exhibited of Joan Crawford as the Wicked Queen ( Joan Crawford was a very prominent star of the 1920's/1930's for younger Forum readers/posters ) - Joe Grant who helped conceive the look of the Wicked Queen /Witch was a prominent caricaturist for Hollywood magazines during this period!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Deco King wrote:Somewhere in this or another form there is mention of a 70th Anniversary Snow White Exhibit from 2007 in which drawing was exhibited of Joan Crawford as the Wicked Queen ( Joan Crawford was a very prominent star of the 1920's/1930's for younger Forum readers/posters ) - Joe Grant who helped conceive the look of the Wicked Queen /Witch was a prominent caricaturist for Hollywood magazines during this period!
Because of how successful Disney's Evil Queen turned out to be, MGM tried to replicate that in "The Wizard of Oz", by screen-testing actress Gale Sondergaard as a beautiful version of the West Witch. When this proved unfavourable, they made-up Ms Sondergaard as the ugly Witch but she still looked too beautiful underneath all her pancake so that's how Margaret Hamilton eventually landed the role.

Slightly O/T but I think it's a good story of how Disney design choices influenced "Wizard of Oz".

My DVD Collection :
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Deco King wrote:( Joan Crawford was a very prominent star of the 1920's/1930's for younger Forum readers/posters )
Oh really! Wow, and all this time I thought Joan Crawford was some fictional character that Faye Dunaway played in Mommie Dearest!

:roll:

Even though I partially understand why you felt a need to explain who Joan Crawford was, I still found it a bit condescending towards all younger forum readers/posters. It comes off as assuming anyone/everyone under a certain age would be totally ignorant towards and/or have no interest in movies or people from that era.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Escapay wrote:
Deco King wrote:( Joan Crawford was a very prominent star of the 1920's/1930's for younger Forum readers/posters )
Oh really! Wow, and all this time I thought Joan Crawford was some fictional character that Faye Dunaway played in Mommie Dearest!

Even though I partially understand why you felt a need to explain who Joan Crawford was, I still found it a bit condescending towards all younger forum readers/posters. It comes off as assuming anyone/everyone under a certain age would be totally ignorant towards and/or have no interest in movies or people from that era.

albert
I agree Albert.

My DVD Collection :
Kossage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kossage »

Deco King wrote:I presume (as there was for Sleeping Beauty before it) that there will be a newly digitally remastered CD of the Original Soundtrack of Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs?

Hopefully, as I have mentioned in other posts, it will contain a more complete soundtrack with the whole of the Witch's flight up the mountainside and death scene which was suddenly excised from the previous OST!
I doubt that this will happen; at most we can expect the same release. Disney is often notorious with its OST releases, after all. Although it'd be awesome if Disney suddenly released a 2CD soundtrack set with the complete score and any rejected material plus extensive liner notes. :)
Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

“Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen” offers a twisted take on Disney's Snow White
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... white.aspx

That book sounds really interesting! It is published by Disney Press, so how do some of you feel about it? Will you consider this to be the Queen's official backstory? Or will you just consider it to be an alternate universe type of thing?
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm not a big fan of revisionism of any kind, but the plot of this book sure does sound intriguing.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Sounds like a good book, if they take her story seriously though, then I might consider it her official back-story.
But why do we have to sympathise with them ?
Why can't they just be evil ?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Thanks for the link, Ames! I'm definitely going to have to pick this up now at B&N tomorrow. :D
-Tim
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Deco King »

Escapay wrote:

albert
Well as I'm 54 on Saturday I do know that a lot of readers are a great deal younger than me and have zero interest in the movies of the 1930's. Whereas I sell and collect Art Deco and in addition to being a manic fan of Snow White , I also love many other 1920's/1930's films and movie stars. I love many of the Universal Monster Movies having grown up with Famous Monsters Of Filmland. Bride Of Frankenstein is my favourite Universal Monster movie.
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

blackcauldron85 wrote:“Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen” offers a twisted take on Disney's Snow White
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... white.aspx

That book sounds really interesting! It is published by Disney Press, so how do some of you feel about it? Will you consider this to be the Queen's official backstory? Or will you just consider it to be an alternate universe type of thing?
I actually bought this a few weeks ago, but I've yet to read it due to time constraints with school and college applications. Can't wait to read it though. The fact it's from Disney Press makes it seem more official than if it was some random book out there about the Queen :P
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Deco King wrote:
Escapay wrote: Oh really! Wow, and all this time I thought Joan Crawford was some fictional character that Faye Dunaway played in Mommie Dearest!

albert
Well as I'm 54 on Saturday I do know that a lot of readers are a great deal younger than me and have zero interest in the movies of the 1930's. Whereas I sell and collect Art Deco and in addition to being a manic fan of Snow White , I also love many other 1920's/1930's films and movie stars. I love many of the Universal Monster Movies having grown up with Famous Monsters Of Filmland. Bride Of Frankenstein is my favourite Universal Monster movie.
I'm in my twenties and have a great love and fascination for the classic movies; but a lot of times when I try to strike up a conversation with someone from the era about movies from that period, they have a casual, "been there, seen it, done it" attitude. :roll:

My DVD Collection :
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Well, I just got through finish reading Fairest Of All now in only two days. :lol: And I must say that I absolutely adored it. Grimhilde has always been my favorite villain, but it made me now look at her character in an entirely new light, and I mean that in the best possible way. It was extremely interesting watching her character devolve over time from a loving wife and mother to psychotic obsessed power-hungry b*tch. It was both heartbreaking and fascinating reading as she let herself implode due to her own obsession and torments of her past, and how her love for Snow grew more distant and colder over time.

I also loved how the author gave life to new characters, bringing out loving and interesting characters of the King, and Verona, the Queen's lady-in-waiting and initial best friend. I was happy too to see the Prince's role expanded more in depth, and show as I always had thought, had met about a year before the experience of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs main plot. I thought it was wonderfully sweet with the idea they had been meeting in secret, with Snow being startled later in the courtyard when he appears for fear of the Queen seeing them together after she forbade them. The twist with the Magic Mirror and its origins I thought was wonderfully creative as well and I loved it as it helped to give more depth to the character and how its incantations and honesty also almost torment.

*Plot Spoilers Ahead*

I was also struck by how dark and grim certain parts of the story were, such as the Queen twisting the dagger into the Huntsman's stomach and the blood spewing onto the dagger after he had failed her. As well as her repeated night terrors of wandering into the forest and witnessing a beating heart stuck to a dead tree, and then witnessing a Snow White as a child, ashen, with black holes for eyes and an empty hole in her chest, asking "Momma, may I have my heart back." I thought it was incredibly chilling and dark, but I thought it was a wonderful thing. To me it stuck very close to the dark nature of the Grimms' original text, and I greatly applaud the author for going so bold with it and keeping the dark nature of the original fairy tale and of the tone of the film.

Altogether, I'll just state that I adored this book. It was a simple, but very well written read and incredibly involving for me, and seemed to stick very true to the nature of the Disney characters, while infusing new characters into the story that fit perfectly into the universe.
-Tim