The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Disney Duster wrote:Okay.

Well, the trailer was beautiful and magnificent.

But it had bugs, which were these:

"Cutting a rug" joke still groan-worthy.

Some animation of magic, probably meant to look like water, looks just like the watery magic used in "The Swan Princess", which Naveen's frog also reminds of, but this similar looking water is just too bad.

The animation doesn't look very...Disney, in a few too many scenes.

Sometimes it looks like Don Bluth or Richard Rich or some other good studio did it...but not Disney. Kinda like how Enchanted's animated scenes didn't look Disney in places.
Cutting a rug might be one of those jokes where you need to see everything that happened *before* the joke, sort of like an inside joke? Doesn't make sense if your not in on it. Just my guess.

I loved the trailer, before I wasn't too excited about PatF simply because I hadn't bothered to look in this thread. But now after seeing the trailer I can't wait for it to come out. I'm glad the villain and Mama Odie? got some more screen time in this trailer, and in Mama's case actually shown.

As for the animation, Duster what are you comparing this movie to? Of course it won't look like any of the Walt-Era films, I mean most of the 90's ones don't have the same Walt-Era type feel to them, as well as many of the 70's ones. I think (aside from each differing style in various movies) each decade has it's own......"look" simply from the changes in the technology, the team of artists working on it etc.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
nomad2010
Special Edition

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Post by nomad2010 »

wow this got me really excited. i loved that they actually started it out with the classics. i also really loved most of the animation but a few spots annoyed me because they looked direct to video sequel-ish... like naveen arriving, tiana seeing herself as a frog, and naveen dancing with the little boy. other than that this has raised my expectations pretty high... it looks like it will at least be enjoyable. not aladdin, little mermaid, lion king, or beauty and the beast good but enjoyable to say the least. i just hope the music isn't as bad as everyone says because the music is what always makes these movies for me.
schoollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by schoollover »

You know what I noticed for both TPATF and Lilo and Stich both used the fab four for their trailers. Maybe a coincidence?
Last edited by schoollover on Sun May 10, 2009 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walt Disney always belived in quality, bring the quality back.
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Post by The Little Merboy »

Wish it would have contained some of the music.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

schoollover wrote:You know what I noticed for both TPATF and Lilo and Stich both used the fab four for their aids. Maybe a coincidence?
What do you mean?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

My complete thoughts in play-by-play as I watch the trailer:

I love the epic opening music! It reminded me a lot of the "WALL-E" trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oga06DQeXuE

Check out at 00:30 in. Very similar in how they have the Ken Burns zoom in/out effect on concept art becoming full-color animation.

Also, I realize there's only so many ways that pencil drawing on paper can look, but the opening is a lot like the "The Simpsons Movie" trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zicd5kwZ ... re=channel

I'm glad that they are acknowledging this as a part of the Disney history and legacy by saying 'after 75 years...'.

Wish they would have focused on more than the fab four. If this is a reflection of a 75-year canon, why not start with Snow White, leap ahead to one like Sleeping Beauty, and then do one or two of the fab four.

Rather than saying they are brining a classic tale to life (which they are and they aren't since there are so many deviations in this film from the original story) why not promote the fact it is the return of 2D?

I like both Naveen and Tiana's voices.

Okay, so the part where Naveen is hit by the book and then says in a kazoo-like voice "of Maldonia" is awful! Way too silly and cartoony for me. I like a certain sense of realism, even in Disney animation, and no way would his voice be that distorted. It has really bugged me every time I've seen it.

I do not think Tiana's expressions are too overwrought from what I've seen.

Naveen is very handsome.

I thought I heard that the snakes binding him to the chair was cut from the film. That's what one of the reviews from a recent screening stated. Perhaps not since it was in the trailer, but I wonder why there's a contradiction.

The voodoo masks cackling behind Naveen during the transformation are a nice touch.

Dr. Facilier looks slimy, but not as evil as past villains. To me, he seems like Yzma - slimy and shady looking, but not evil like Queen Grimhilde (Snow White) or Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty).

If people want to know what Charlotte looks like - I believe when Naveen is dancing and says he was "cutting the rug" - the pictures behind him show a little girl. I think that is little girl Charlotte.

I always loved when scenes in movies are subathed golden so the church is gorgeous.

Ther riverboat looks just like the concept art.

That procession with the carriages and falling flower petals must be the marriage. Surprising they'd want to reveal such an important scene!

The part where the bayou has all the flowers is beautiful! And so detailed! Look closely for the possums and birds!

Where Naveen is strumming his ukulele in song - the kid looks like the one from Disney's "One by One:

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr32 ... cture6.jpg

Where Dr. Facilier is on stage and throws down some dust which opens the curtain to reveal a huge floating mask is very spooky but nice!

This is confusing, though - look closely, there's another transformation scene, without the snakes. Remember above I said that some reviews claim the transformation scene contained no snakes? One review said that a character named 'James' transforms, and when I wrote to them to tell them it was Naveen, they insisted they were right. Could there be two transformation scenes? From this trailer, it seems so - since one shows Naveen bound by snakes, but later on we see a vortex of green hiding a figure. Who is James and why would he be transformed, as well?

The skull masks makes Facilier look much more menacing.

Young Tiana is so cute!

Tiana on the balcony keeps getting used. It was our first still, then the teaser, and is here again. This may be the iconic scene of this film. Like Sleeping Beauty being kissed in the tower, or Belle and the Beast in the ballroom - this may be this film's big 'icon' for the interaction between Prince/Princess.

Again with the wedding! It's not a surprise they'll get married, but kind of a big scene to show here!

I love Naveen's newsboy cap and vest!

Wish we could see Mama Odie better!

Wonder why Naveen is falling!

I'm glad to see Tiana in her work clothes! I love the irony - Tiana is in her work clothes and meets the prince. Later on, they don't know each other as he's a frog and she's so dressed up.

I don't know why people hate on Ray. His voice may become annoying, but I like the design!

Creepy shadows crawling through the bayou! Looks really evil!

Mama Odie isn't as sharp looking as her concept art! Her glasses are more round, and her turban is smaller. For whatever reason, I've latched onto her and am most interested in seeing her.

Are those voodoo dolls playing drums?! I hope so!

Naveen still handsome in prince attire!

All the animals in the bayou watching the transformation from frogs back into humans - a lot like the animals gathered to see Simba in "The Lion King".

I like Mama Odie's cackling voice!

And JuJu looks good! Not too much like Kaa, which I was worried he might.

Wait! Facilier's Design Isn't Original!

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.o ... medi_small. jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Samedi

Dr. Facilier is Baron Samedi - a spirit of the voodoo religion! He is usually depicted with a white top hat, black tuxedo, dark glasses, and cotton plugs in the nostrils, as if to resemble a corpse dressed and prepared for burial in the Haitian style. He has a white, frequently skull-like face (or actually has a skull for a face) and speaks in a nasal voice.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... di&um=1&am p;ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.animatoons.com.br/wp-content ... cilier.jpg

Overall, an excellent trailer! The films looks every bit as epic and colorful as I've been hyped for!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I loved it! :D

Btw, did anyone else get Anastasia vibe from the trailer?

*goes and watches it again*

EDIT:
Neal wrote:This is confusing, though - look closely, there's another transformation scene, without the snakes. Remember above I said that some reviews claim the transformation scene contained no snakes? One review said that a character named 'James' transforms, and when I wrote to them to tell them it was Naveen, they insisted they were right. Could there be two transformation scenes? From this trailer, it seems so - since one shows Naveen bound by snakes, but later on we see a vortex of green hiding a figure. Who is James and why would he be transformed, as well?
James is Tiana's father... Apparently, something happens to him in the beginning of the movie (he dies, I think), but maybe Dr. Facilier caused his death by turning him into a frog... That could explain those conflicting reports about who gets turned into a frog (and it would also give Tiana a motivation to go after the villain)...
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

singerguy04 wrote:That is a great trailer, my mom and I just watched it 3 times through lol.

I noticed it didn't showcase music, i bet they might try to avoid the music situation in the future as well. If that's the case, it might end up being not so great for the film...
I think that when it gets referred to as another Disney Classic, most people already assume it's a musical. I do hope it will get featured in other trailers.
Warner didn't do it when Sweeney Todd was in the theaters, and there were people that were surprised it was a musical, go figure.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Neal wrote:This is confusing, though - look closely, there's another transformation scene, without the snakes. Remember above I said that some reviews claim the transformation scene contained no snakes? One review said that a character named 'James' transforms, and when I wrote to them to tell them it was Naveen, they insisted they were right. Could there be two transformation scenes? From this trailer, it seems so - since one shows Naveen bound by snakes, but later on we see a vortex of green hiding a figure. Who is James and why would he be transformed, as well?
If you pause the trailer at 2:10 it almost looks like a completely unexpected character is transformed. I won't spoil though. But in a weird way it would make sense.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

oh and for all the purists out there (me included)

did any of you notice the most important thing about this trailer?? The Beauty and the Beast footage at the beginning... did mine eyes deceive me or were those the original colors??.....

could the new re-release actually be the original film? not the effed up version?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

PatrickvD wrote:oh and for all the purists out there (me included)

did any of you notice the most important thing about this trailer?? The Beauty and the Beast footage at the beginning... did mine eyes deceive me or were those the original colors??.....

could the new re-release actually be the original film? not the effed up version?
That would be nice. :D
If that's the case, then there's a good chance that the Lion King's re-release will also be it's original film. *crosses fingers*
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

WOW...Love it love it cant wait to see it!
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

AICN's review... But beware, spoilers galore - I found out more than I wanted to know :(.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41034
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

What a lovely trailer! :D
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

If you're not watching the trailer due to spoilers, and if you're not reading the AICN reviews with the spoilers, you may not want to read my post, FYI.

I agree about if they're going to mention 75 years' worth of magic, mention more than just a 5-year period of movies! At the same time, though, those are heralded as modern classics, like they hope TP&tF will be.

I love the trailer- thanks for posting it! I went on Apple.com and YouTube last night, and they hadn't been posted when I looked.

And, you can see Naveen "cutting a rug" when he's with the boy, so maybe he loves to dance! :pink: Like this elephant.

I'm kind of shocked that they showed Tiana as frog...I guess that's not supposed to be a secret, then.

Yay, Tiana's work dress is yellow! I love yellow! :)

The movie looks so amazing!!! I am worried about the music, though; why, oh, why couldn't Alan Menken have done the music? Ugh, look what you did, John Lasseter, putting Randy Newman on the project. :roll: People love Alan Menken, and it would've have been too much to have him work on Enchanted, The Princess and the Frog, and Rapunzel. I mean, maybe with the New Orleans setting, the Newman music will make sense and work, I don't know. But not even really showcasing the music in the trailer makes me worry... :(

For those of you who have complained about Ray, does this make you feel any more comfortable with him:
the AICN review with many spoilers wrote:Ray is a heart-of-gold firefly that joins the crew after they get a bit lost...is hilarious and pretty well rounded, and...will certainly capture the audience's heart.
the AICN review with many spoilers wrote:Interestingly enough, Charlottes family is shown as spoiled and stupid and Tiana's family is wise, loving and hard working.
Interesting...not to start the whole PC debate, but I wonder if anyone will complain that the white family is shown as dumb and the black family is shown as wise. I have no problem with it, and it surely suits the story, but some people will complain about anything...
a reviewer who contributed to the AICN article with many spoilers wrote:First, I Loved the movie, in fact I think it's one of the best animated movies Disney has ever made.
And he only saw 20% finished, colored animation!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!!!
a reviewer who contrinuted to the AICN article with many spoilers wrote:Then there is the songs, these were almost all in the storyboard form but they seem like they'll look good. They aren't as memorable as some classic Disney songs but they are really well done (though some of them seem to end before they really begin). Each one being very Jazz or gospel influenced.
I don't remember learning that there would be gospel songs!!! Randy Newman wrote gospel songs?!? I'm very excited to hear those...!
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

Mooky wrote:I loved it! :D

Btw, did anyone else get Anastasia vibe from the trailer?
Yes! I still can't figure out what it is that makes me think of Anastasia, but that movie kept popping up in my mind during the trailer!

By the way, does anyone else absolutely adore Dr. Facilier after seeing 1:54ish in the trailer? He just looks so evil what with his laugh and such. It makes me hopeful for his character :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The parade (?) with the carriages going down the street did remind me a little of Anatasia, but that was it, I think, and that could have been due to the mention of that film being in my head? I mean, the gold coloring might be reminicent of that movie, too, because didn't it feature gold, like the Grandmother's dress or something?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

PatrickvD wrote:If you pause the trailer at 2:10 it almost looks like a completely unexpected character is transformed. I won't spoil though. But in a weird way it would make sense.
I thought about it and I know who you mean. Could Mama Odie be behind it?

...and it must be a mistake!!! Disney would never go back to the original colors. That'd only please every Disney purist, so they'd never do that! They love to hear us bitch!
ColorsOfTheWind
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ColorsOfTheWind »

I think it was a few of the scenes that remind me of Anastasia. One of them is the carriage one, along with the building with the clock in it, Naveen posing on the boat, and the scene of the redish-pinkish room. That, and the transformation at 1:47 reminded me a bit of when Anastasia transforms during Once Upon A December, though I just checked it out to see how similar it was and they aren't at all really. :lol:

Ah well. It still does look like a Disney film and I certainly am looking forward to it. I'm disappointed that no music was featured, but do my eyes deceive me, or does it look like Tiana is singing as she hops onto the trolley at 1:59?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

blackcauldron85 - Disney's racist against whites, now!