The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Princess and the Frog Discussion - Part II

Post by Sotiris »

Continuing the discussion from Part I:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=19672

New Logo:

Cover of "Art of" book:

Last edited by Sotiris on Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Hmm...coincidence?
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

But Whitney looks nothing like a frog. :P
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Jack Skellington wrote:But Whitney looks nothing like a frog. :P
rotfl

omg, i'm in a really quite room with two friends and i just burst into laughter, thank you for that!

Anyhow, These reviews that have come up from this early screening are very nice to hear... with the exception of the music parts. It was a bit obvious that Randy's music wouldn't compare to the 90's films, but i guess i was hoping he was just holding out on us. At least the story is getting a lot of credit which is what John is all about. Also it seems to appeal to a larger audience which is really the ticket Disney needs right now. Here's to hoping the others that saw it felt the same!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Trailer of 'The Princess and the Frog' should debut tomorrow

Post by Neal »

Tomorrow the trailer for "The Princess and the Frog" should debut on Apple's trailer website...

Unless something unforeseen happens that is what will happen. Should that wish come true, you may find yourself giggly with Disney joy tomorrow night. It's a great trailer and it shows why we love classic hand drawn Disney animation.

Forthcoming...
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/ ... from-apple .html
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Jack Skellington wrote:But Whitney looks nothing like a frog. :P
:lol:

Neal, thanks for the news! I hope it turns out to be true.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

The trailer might also be on TV tonight. Buzz is that if you , tune into Disney Channel at 8:30/7:30 central tonight (May 9th) - there will be an 'exclusive clip'. That should land it between Hannah Montana and Suite Life.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Neal wrote:The trailer might also be on TV tonight. Buzz is that if you , tune into Disney Channel at 8:30/7:30 central tonight (May 9th) - there will be an 'exclusive clip'. That should land it between Hannah Montana and Suite Life.
yup i just saw a commercial for it an hour ago on disney. i tuned in to see if it was true and within 2 minutes of switching it to the channel the add popped up!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Was it the same ad we already saw (the one with John Lasseter) or new footage/trailer?
GloomyEeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GloomyEeyore »

I'm interested to see how this movie turns out when it's done. I think that it sounds like it will be pretty good.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Mooky wrote:Was it the same ad we already saw (the one with John Lasseter) or new footage/trailer?
no it was an ad for the sneak peek tonight... there was a little new footage. naveen says "kiss me" and she goes "EXCUSE ME!?". I found it pretty funny. then they also showed the logo like was shown from that pixar site so my guess is that it's going to be the trailer itself.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Which Disney Channel? What channel on Dish Network?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Did you guys see the previews? It was magical! This movie, plus the upcoming "Rapunzel," just shows that Disney is back!!! :-D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

tsom wrote:Did you guys see the previews? It was magical! This movie, plus the upcoming "Rapunzel," just shows that Disney is back!!! :-D
Record it people and then upload it to YouTube. That's the honorable thing to do! :P
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I wish I could, but technology and I are not friends. Otherwise, I would have helped you guys out. I'm sure it'll be on the Apple Trailer Website soon.
amazon980
Gold Classic Collection

Post by amazon980 »

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

That is a great trailer, my mom and I just watched it 3 times through lol.

I noticed it didn't showcase music, i bet they might try to avoid the music situation in the future as well. If that's the case, it might end up being not so great for the film...
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I just found a little info about the production of the movie:

"Disney has posted a teaser trailer for their return to hand drawn animated feature films, The Princess And The Frog.

Done using Toon Boom Harmony, The Princess and the Frog will is also featuring never seen before paperless sequence (mostly for the effects) drawn completly digitaly using Harmonyon Wacom Cintiq."

http://blogs.toonboom.com/professional/?p=127

"Of course, Disney’s purchase of Pixar and the arrival of John Lasseter and Ed Catmull at the Mouse House changed the scene dramatically. “Those guys had this bright idea to bring back hand-drawn animation, but everything had to be started again from the ground up. One of the first things we did was focus on producing shorts, to help us re-introduce the 2D pipeline. I worked as vfx supervisor on the Goofy short, How to Hook Up Your Home Theater.” West said the only difference now is that his Wacom tablet replaced paper. “It was a real plus for the effects department, so we went paperless for The Princess and the Frog.”

http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/9941

The question is; how much of the animation is paperless? All of it, or some of it? And what about the backgrounds? When watching the trailer, it is clear some of it is made on computers, but is there some exceptions?
Disney Duster

The Princess and the Frog

Post by Disney Duster »

Okay.

Well, the trailer was beautiful and magnificent.

But it had bugs, which were these:

"Cutting a rug" joke still bad. It could have been animated better, better facial expressions and finger and leg movements.

Some animation of magic effects, probably meant to look like water, looks just like the watery magic used in "The Swan Princess", which Naveen's frog also reminds of, but this similar looking water is just too bad.

The animation doesn't look very...Disney, in a few too many scenes.

Sometimes it looks like Don Bluth or Richard Rich or some other good studio did it...but not Disney. Kinda like how Enchanted's animated scenes didn't look Disney in places.

And of course Ray didn't talk in this one.

But in spite of it all...I'M EXCITED...YAY!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Wow, that's a nice trailer! I especially like how they cite it as one of the classics. :D