I Have "Brother Bear" DVD In My Hands!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

I Have "Brother Bear" DVD In My Hands!

Post by goofystitch »

I pre-ordered "Brother Bear" through Disneystore.com and to my amazement it came today! I have gotten past pre-orders a day early before, but never 3 days early.

There is no cardboard sleeve surrounding the case. If I had a scanner or a digital camera I would take pictures of the box for you. I haven't yet watched any special features, but I did pop it in to see what trailors are on it. There are the usuall "Aladdin," "Incredibles," "3 Musketeers," "Mary Poppins," and "Mulan 2" trailors, and then there is the brand new "Chicken Little" teaser. I had a lot of doubt that a modern day retelling of the classic fable could even look entertaining, but this teaser makes it look really funny. The trailor is a live news feed with reporters stalking the poor chicken hounding him with questions like "Did you really think the sky was falling?" and "Do you think you'll ever live this down?" At least the trailor looks good. Time will tell if the movie is. The trailor says it is coming in 2005. No month or season was given.

The coupon book has the same add for "Aladdin" seen inside of "Lion King 1.5" and has a new add for "Mary Poppins" showing cover art. We now know that MP will not be a Masterpeice Edition because the new add for Masterpeice Edition is the same as before, minus "Mary Poppins." No date or year is listed in this add for "Lilo & Stitch" and "Pocahontas." There are coupons for "Home On The Range" sountracks and Sing-Along DVD's, as well as for the new Pooh film, "Springtime With Roo." The chapter selection insert unfolds to show a navigation map and also tells you about certain special features. Across the top of the front is the new "DVD Guide" banner that can be found in all of the recent Disney DVD releases. I find it kind of annoying, but at least we get inserts.

I will report soon about the quality of the film transfer, which I am expecting to be great since it's a digital to digital transfer. The sound should also be great seeing as it is in THX and DTS. I will also report about special features as soon as possible.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Hmm, they are still promoting "Lilo" and "Pocahontas". I still think we may get them this year.
Thanks for your report Goofystitch.

By the way, Ultimate Disney has a great review of the DVD! Congrats!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I could have told you all the same things, and I kind of did. ;)

Thanks for the kind word, Joe!
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I will have Brother Bear in my hands on Tuesday.
You are so lucky to have it now. :)
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

My review of the bonus features.

Post by goofystitch »

I have just watched all of the bonus features, with the exception of the Rutt and Tuke commentary. What follows is my review of them.

Koda's Outakes- These are not as good as the ones seen during the ending credits, and some of the animation quility is very straight to video. The only one that was amusing to me was one that featured Stitch.

"Look Through My Eyes" Music Video- Not as good as the videos Phil Collins did for "Tarzan," but if you like the song, you'll enjoy the video.

Games- These seem to be a standars now on any Disney DVD. There are two games to choose from. "Bone Puzzle" is the better of the two. The game is really simple. An animals body part is on the screen and you have to find the bone that goes in the highlighted area. The game itself isn't good, but at the end of each is a short educational video about the animal and the videos include clips from other Disney movies, as well as shorts and the "True Life Adventure" series. The second game is called "Find Your Totem" and is a quiz to find which animal totem you have, so you can be like Kenai. I am a salmon!

"On My Way" Sing-Along- Self explanitory. Basically Disney is trying to sell a few more copies of the "Brother Bear" sing-along songs DVD.

Bear Legends- A collection of Native American legends about bears.

Making The Noise: The Art of Foley- The foley artists teach the voice of Koda, who you may recognize from the "Bernie Mack Show," how they made the sound effects for the film.

Art Review- Lead animators talk about the style and influence of the film set to original concept art. I wish an art gallery would have been included instead of this. They still could have had commentary on important pieces. I feel like all of that art is going to waste locked away in some vault.

Paths of Discovery- This is a 45 minute making of feature that gives a good glimpse of all of the hard work and talent that went into creating "Brother Bear." Highlights of the documentary include Michal Clark Duncan's deleted character, Grizz, who was replaced by Koda and interview with Roy Disney himself, obviously filmed before the split because he says only positive things about it.

Deleted Scenes - Of which there are three. Two of them are the final dialogue tracks with the real cast set to the storyboards. The other went into animation, but was changed before it went into color. That scene was replaced by a similar scene where Kenai tries to explain to Koda that his mother is dead.

Fishing Song- This song was replaced by "Welcome" and is set to the original storyboards for the scene with the original dialogue. It basically is another deleted scene.

Transformation Song- Clips of the Bulgarian Woman's Choir recording the song mixed with clips from the film and subtitled with the English translation of the lyrics. I suggest that you also listen to the Phil Collins version of the song which can be found on the soundtrack.

In closing, "Brother Bear" is a great film and got a DVD release that is worthy. The bonus features aren't as good as they could have been and I would have rather seen a release like the "Tarzan" Collector's Edition, but this release is good enough.I reccomend owning it, because this is one of the better Disney animated films to come out in a while.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

BROTHER BEAR DVD

Post by Disney Guru »

I saw the movie at the theatres and I loved it! I will deffinately be getting the DVD sometime soon!
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Luke,
I am sorry. I did not realize that you had posted a review, but instead of making me feel bad about it, you could have kindly pointed it out to me like Joe Carioca did. And your review didn't mention anything about the coupon book or the trailors included, so I did supply some information that you didn't. Remember that as the moderator, your say affects people more than anyone elses, so don't post things that make people feel small.
Thanks.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I didn't mean to make you feel small. It makes me feel small when people don't even read the front page of the site that houses this forum.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Luke - sorry, but i rarely go to the main page anymore.

Dont get me wrong, it is an incredible resource that attracted me to the page in the first page. I used it to start my collection of animated movies. It was the best checklist on the net, far and away.

I am just not sure, the last time I entrered by way of the main page.
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

I'm sure most of us here read the site updates before we visit the forum Luke but is it so wrong that someone posts another opinion about the Brother Bear dvd? That doesn't mean he has forgotten your great review ;)
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I check the front page everyday, and also enter the forums via the front page. Not everybody can read everything on here every day though, and I'm sure this is all just an innocent mishap- or whatever word you wanna use. Everyone should take time to look at the front page, though, as it is a great resource, yet another product of Luke's hard work, and often pertains to what is discussed here. But let's all be friends. :lol: :lol:

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

Same with me. I look at the front page maybe a couple of times a day to see whats new. I was hoping that I would get BB today but maybe it will come on Monday!
karlsen
Special Edition

Post by karlsen »

I have bookmarked the frontpage, so I always enters the forum thru it.

That way I always see if there are something new to disuss on the board.

I am not trying to blame anyone here, but everybody should realy go thru the front page. It takes a minimum of extra work, and you realy get a lot of great info almost every day. 8)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

I still go to the main page
Cinderelly
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cinderelly »

I too check the first page every day. I woud much rather read the information there in a clear manner than try to get it on the board. I like the board very much but as far as news, I prefer the front page.
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I come to the boards first.
Aladdin
Gold Classic Collection

Re: I Have "Brother Bear" DVD In My Hands!

Post by Aladdin »

goofystitch wrote: The coupon book has the same add for "Aladdin" seen inside of "Lion King 1.5"
What is this "ad" for or about ?
Love watching my "babies" on my wide-screen :)
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Hi goofystitch, thanks for the spolier-free review.

I can't wait to get the DVD on Wednesday and listen to the Spanish track. Koda's Outakes doesn't sound too funny, but I'll watch it anyway. I read that the video is sometimes fuzzy and contains artifacts. Hopefully, the video will look ok on my widescreen TV.

Later
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Aladdin,
The add for "Aladdin" is mostly purple and shows the lamp sitting on some treasure. It has the old "Aladdin" logo, but with a cool boarder around it and instead of advertising it as a Platinum Edition, it is advertised as a "2-Disc Special Edition." The add says it will be released in October. This exact same add can be found in the add booklet that came with "The Lion King 1.5"
Grunches
Special Edition

Post by Grunches »

I just got mine today!!! :D I'm so excited I didn't see this in theaters so i'm hopping its going to be really good.