3D Scene from "Beauty and the Beast" Wows!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

3D Scene from "Beauty and the Beast" Wows!

Post by zackisthewalrus »

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/31/bea ... t-showest/

Awesome! This makes me even more excited about next year's release!! :D
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

I'm actually not too impressed. It looks like all they did was cut them out of the background and made the background blurry, but the cutout isn't really that good (around the back of Belle's head and the top of Beast's horns)...

If that's what they did, then I don't really see what could be taking so long to be honest. Beauty and the Beast was done partially on the computer, right? Like, the coloring and stuff? Why couldn't they just go back to the original files and blur the backgrounds out? Am I missing something?

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure that it'll look much nicer when it's seen properly, though. Here's hoping!
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Vermin Friends wrote:I'm actually not too impressed. It looks like all they did was cut them out of the background and made the background blurry, but the cutout isn't really that good (around the back of Belle's head and the top of Beast's horns)...

If that's what they did, then I don't really see what could be taking so long to be honest. Beauty and the Beast was done partially on the computer, right? Like, the coloring and stuff? Why couldn't they just go back to the original files and blur the backgrounds out? Am I missing something?

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure that it'll look much nicer when it's seen properly, though. Here's hoping!
They did separate the foreground characters from the backgrounds, but since BatB is all-digital that's a rather simple step. The next step is giving it actual depth, or the sense of depth. Since hand drawn animation is 2D, that's what's taking so long. And of course this can't be seen on a small screenshot, but you'll need glasses to see it in 3D.
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

KubrickFan wrote:They did separate the foreground characters from the backgrounds, but since BatB is all-digital that's a rather simple step. The next step is giving it actual depth, or the sense of depth. Since hand drawn animation is 2D, that's what's taking so long. And of course this can't be seen on a small screenshot, but you'll need glasses to see it in 3D.
I think I understand. Thank you for clearing it up for me! :)
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I tried to look at the pic through the REAL-D glasses I kept from Meet the Robinsons, and it's *not* 3D. It must've been taken from another source. Of course, I'd know better than to judge 3D without any double-image.
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

ajmrowland wrote:Of course, I'd know better than to judge 3D without any double-image.
yeah i can't really figure out how this and the original release are miles apart? lol if i saw a video clip i would consider ;)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Uh, not to be a balloon burster, but you guys do realize that's probably not an actual 3-D image so much as a retouched publicity image? They said they only showed "Belle" in 3-D, and it's the only completed part so far, so I'm fairly sure that's just a photo-shopped picture of some kind. Let's not all strap on 3-D specs and assume that that's what the movie's going to look like.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Uh, not to be a balloon burster, but you guys do realize that's probably not an actual 3-D image so much as a retouched publicity image? They said they only showed "Belle" in 3-D, and it's the only completed part so far, so I'm fairly sure that's just a photo-shopped picture of some kind. Let's not all strap on 3-D specs and assume that that's what the movie's going to look like.
I said it wasn't 3D. But they did say that the "Belle" scene was the first sequence completed. Doesn't mean their aren't other shots that are.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

ajmrowland wrote:I tried to look at the pic through the REAL-D glasses I kept from Meet the Robinsons, and it's *not* 3D. It must've been taken from another source. Of course, I'd know better than to judge 3D without any double-image.
Its impossible to display a 3d image that takes advantage of those glasses anyway on a regular monitor. If it were that simple you'd see 3d tv shows using the glasses, but you don't because its not.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, the internet has very, very high bandwidth. I can dream, can't I?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Its not a bandwidth issue, its a screen refresh rate issue.
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

wow that was the biggest disappointment ever. It was just a blurry screenshot xD

Can't wait for the real thing. I wonder if there will be a world wide release.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

That's not 3D people ! :lol:

I second your anticipation Yuki.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Did they redraw the townspeople and fix all of Belle's off-model scenes in the library? Because 3-D might make those moments even worse.
Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

Rudy Matt wrote:Did they redraw the townspeople and fix all of Belle's off-model scenes in the library? Because 3-D might make those moments even worse.
Will you stop that?
Did they redraw the prince in Snowwhite?
Did they redraw Snowwhite's face in the scene where she's comforting the bird right before the hunter comes?
Did they redraw all the extremely off-model scenes of Ariel in TLM?

This is what the movies are. If you don't like them, accept it.
They could redraw the whole film, there will always be room for improvement. In every classic there are scenes that could have been done much better, but this is what the film is.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Rudy Matt wrote:Did they redraw the townspeople and fix all of Belle's off-model scenes in the library? Because 3-D might make those moments even worse.
No they won't, they'd just make them look blurry, if you've seen Monster's Vs. Aliens, you can see that for example when Ginormaca was rollerblading down the street, the background was blurry, I think that would be the same case with the Opening scene, since there's a lot of movement involved.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Marky_198 wrote:
Will you stop that?
Did they redraw the prince in Snowwhite?
Did they redraw Snowwhite's face in the scene where she's comforting the bird right before the hunter comes?
Did they redraw all the extremely off-model scenes of Ariel in TLM?

This is what the movies are. If you don't like them, accept it.
They could redraw the whole film, there will always be room for improvement. In every classic there are scenes that could have been done much better, but this is what the film is.
So I'm taking it some of the worst animation in a Disney feature was not re-drawn for the 3-D version?

Pity.